Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Oscar Wild posted:

It's good to know the people of Seattle are making the effort to do something about the chronic homeless and drug problems of the city. This new shelter, mental health facility, and drug treatment center will be a big benefit to the community.

King County city council did this, not Seattle city council. King County CC doesn't seem to give a poo poo about homelessness whereas Seattle CC gets concerned trolled to death by Amazon when they try anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/NWS_NTWC/status/1037731383752486912

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
Hey remember that teacher's strike in Tumwater? Well, https://www.theolympian.com/news/local/education/article217915555.html#storylink=mainstage

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Surf's up in Fiji

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

http://komonews.com/news/project-seattle/seattle-considers-criminalizing-dumping-trash-at-homeless-camps-by-those-not-homeless

Get ready for some searing hot takes on this

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

I am happy that bags and sanitation are being provided to homeless people and all cool with making it a criminal offense for others to take advantage of the situation and dump garbage there illegally. It makes the homeless people look bad too have so much extra garbage piling up that isn't theirs, so it is understandable that they are upset.

I wish portland would provide garbage service to its own homeless camps.

Mostly I wish we could give them all housing and services though.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Meanwhile in Portland, our mayor held a press conference a few days ago about how we need to clean up the trash in this town https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2018/09/portland_must_clean_up_trash_a.html

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

Meanwhile in Portland, our mayor held a press conference a few days ago about how we need to clean up the trash in this town https://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2018/09/portland_must_clean_up_trash_a.html

He's not wrong about how much more trash there is in the street now vs back when, but I would rather he deploy resources to getting our homeless population into housing. Today I saw an encampment on a sidewalk on top of an overpass instead of under it.

Also my autocorrect changed encampment to embarrassment and I almost left it because it is an embarrassment that we have people sleeping on sidewalks out in the open.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

anthonypants posted:

Maybe we can pay a living wage to people who would like to collect the trash?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

therobit posted:

He's not wrong about how much more trash there is in the street now vs back when, but I would rather he deploy resources to getting our homeless population into housing. Today I saw an encampment on a sidewalk on top of an overpass instead of under it.

Also my autocorrect changed encampment to embarrassment and I almost left it because it is an embarrassment that we have people sleeping on sidewalks out in the open.
Ted Wheeler's last major budgeting push was for a hundred new cops, so he's using garbage as a dogwhistle to mean the homeless.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

Ted Wheeler's last major budgeting push was for a hundred new cops, so he's using garbage as a dogwhistle to mean the homeless.

Ok Tony, sure.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

therobit posted:

Ok Tony, sure.

More than half the arrests in Portland last year were of homeless people, so he's probably right?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

therobit posted:

Ok Tony, sure.

He's posted a wealth of examples. What you got?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

The fact that Wheeler is literally talking about the various different trash collection companies and authorities within the city and that it will be a job to coordinate them?

I'm not saying he likes homeless people, but I don't think it is some nefarious plot when he says he wants a clean city and then talks about trash collection.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

therobit posted:

The fact that Wheeler is literally talking about the various different trash collection companies and authorities within the city and that it will be a job to coordinate them?

I'm not saying he likes homeless people, but I don't think it is some nefarious plot when he says he wants a clean city and then talks about trash collection.
It's nefarious by omission when you're a supposed leader.

If you are focused on the bi-product but claim impotence about the human problem, you're an rear end in a top hat.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

therobit posted:

I would encourage you to understand the term "dogwhistle" as I used it in the post earlier.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

anthonypants posted:

My first thought at seeing this headline was "oh please god let this mean they will pick up trash every Friday now"

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

anthonypants posted:

I would encourage you to understand the term "dogwhistle" as I used it in the post earlier.

I understood it, but I don't actually think that is what is going on. And I think that like many of the young white leftists I meet these days you sound like you are a whole lot more interested in fighting enemies real or imagined than you are in building something or bringing people to the table. I don't know if that is just your edgy online persona or if it is real, but it is how you come off in your posting. Calling people out and making accusations isn't really a good way to get anything done, and it turns off people who might otherwise work with you.

Wheeler might be a dud, but he is still miles better than Tom Potter or Charlie Hales were, and I don't really see Sam Adams as a shining example of an effective and progressive mayor either.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

therobit posted:

I understood it, but I don't actually think that is what is going on. And I think that like many of the young white leftists I meet these days you sound like you are a whole lot more interested in fighting enemies real or imagined than you are in building something or bringing people to the table. I don't know if that is just your edgy online persona or if it is real, but it is how you come off in your posting. Calling people out and making accusations isn't really a good way to get anything done, and it turns off people who might otherwise work with you.

Wheeler might be a dud, but he is still miles better than Tom Potter or Charlie Hales were, and I don't really see Sam Adams as a shining example of an effective and progressive mayor either.

qft

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Maybe while you’re working on “poo poo most cities tend to have” you could add water fluoridation to your list.

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

Maybe while you’re working on “poo poo most cities tend to have” you could add water fluoridation to your list.

Next you're gonna say we need self-service gas stations

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

therobit posted:

The article specifically cites a person complaining about trash from homeless people like 4 paragraphs in.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The mayor of Portland hates the homeless so much,
  • ...he allowed four people to die of exposure.
  • ...half of all arrests in the year 2017 were of the homeless.
  • ...he asked people to lobby the city council to approve his budget for 93 new cops, threatening that without them the cops wouldn't be able to respond to 911 calls.
  • ...calendar year 2017 saw more traffic deaths since 2003, and the city's response is to complain that cops don't have the time or resources to deal with drunk drivers.
  • ...he literally held a press conference to assuage the person who came up to him in public to tell him that the homeless generate trash.

And let's not forget that time Ted Wheeler Maced A Baby.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Christoph posted:

Next you're gonna say we need self-service gas stations

Just timed a road trip mileage to avoid having to fuel up in Oregon. Im 100 percent in favor of make work. It just feels so weird.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I would literally rather pay the same amount for gas and have it fund unemployment for the exact same people instead, just so I don't have to wait for them to quit smoking and slowly waddle over to push the same buttons on the pump that I would otherwise be pushing myself. This is the most backwards poo poo ever.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
But seriously, no candidate in the state of Oregon can even jokingly discuss the issue of healthcare reform or aid to the poor without first having a plan to add fluoride to the water.

That’s one of cheapest, easiest, most trivial loving things that happens just about everywhere else, red state or blue. It’s absolutely pathetic that the folks living in Oregon continue to ignore what is a very serious public health issue.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Solkanar512 posted:

But seriously, no candidate in the state of Oregon can even jokingly discuss the issue of healthcare reform or aid to the poor without first having a plan to add fluoride to the water.

That’s one of cheapest, easiest, most trivial loving things that happens just about everywhere else, red state or blue. It’s absolutely pathetic that the folks living in Oregon continue to ignore what is a very serious public health issue.
To be fair, the city did try to fluoridate the water, but people went apeshit when they found out, gathered enough signatures to put blocking it on the ballot, and the rest is history.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

anthonypants posted:

To be fair, the city did try to fluoridate the water, but people went apeshit when they found out, gathered enough signatures to put blocking it on the ballot, and the rest is history.

Yes, and those candidates need to take a strong stand against idiots who hate public health and poor people.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Javid posted:

I would literally rather pay the same amount for gas and have it fund unemployment for the exact same people instead, just so I don't have to wait for them to quit smoking and slowly waddle over to push the same buttons on the pump that I would otherwise be pushing myself. This is the most backwards poo poo ever.

Sure so would I, but that's not really an option is it? I mean it's not like the American social security net is particularly generous or reliable given that it's constantly under attack by Republicans. The station I typically go to has one woman literally running around doing all the pumps. She's nice, quick, and effective. The world would not be better if she didn't have a job. Let's get the basic minimum income system going first, rather than putting people out of work and offering them promises. This kind of thing will become more and more of a big deal in the coming decades, and Oregonians should be treating it as a test case of how to balance automation with human interest. Same thing with grocery cashiers - I'm certainly guilty of using the automated kiosks and bagging everything myself, but the reality is that I'm not really helping anyone by doing that - those cashiers need work to do or their paycheck ends up as part of the corporate bottom line.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 11, 2018

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
Can we at least take away their squeegees because they keep loving up my Rain-X

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Some good news:

The Seattle Times posted:

OLYMPIA — A Thurston County judge has doubled the daily contempt-of-court fines against Tim Eyman and his associates in the state’s lawsuit against the initiative activist.

Friday’s order by Superior Court Judge James Dixon marks the latest twist in several years’ worth of scrutiny of Eyman’s campaign activities.

Eyman and Citizen Solutions have been in contempt since February for not handing over all the relevant documents sought by the state, according to a statement by the state Attorney General’s Office.

Dixon’s order boosts the fines levied on the defendants to a combined $1,000 per day. Eyman and Citizen Solutions have now racked up $101,500 in fines, with another $35,722 for related court costs and fees, the statement from the Attorney General’s Office said.

gently caress Tim Eyman forever.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
At what point does he face jail time?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

George posted:

When the laws that govern reality cease to function.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

George posted:

I'm real cool if he gets bankrupted instead of jailed since I'll be ponying up for his living arrangements then

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

I'm real cool if he gets bankrupted instead of jailed since I'll be ponying up for his living arrangements then

On the other hand you can write him mocking letters while he rots in a cell.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Keep Portland Weird https://twitter.com/afrolivia/status/1040003423104462848

e: original tweet got taken down, the racist lady got doxxed p bad, allegedly lost her job https://twitter.com/_SJPeace_/status/1040090751085019136

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 14, 2018

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
When I get my car back I'm gonna drive around playing accordion-heavy Mexican music and see how many dirty looks I get from oh-so progressive Portlanders (I'm very white).

Christoph fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Sep 13, 2018

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/13/technology/jeff-bezos-homeless-fund/index.html

Someone's trying to buy back some PR after killing the head tax.

Yeah no gently caress you, Jeff.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Xand_Man posted:

https://money.cnn.com/2018/09/13/technology/jeff-bezos-homeless-fund/index.html

Someone's trying to buy back some PR after killing the head tax.

Yeah no gently caress you, Jeff.

“But it’s more money!” the idiots will cry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Read through, the racist is 1) a stripper, and 2) actually not a stripper anymore, she got suspended from work because someone sent it to the strip club and they're upset with her lol