Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I mean, they kind of have to be far off. You can't overturn your entire energy economy overnight. The problem is that this legislation should have been passed 50 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah long term targets are the only way this poo poo gets done on the scale necessary. CA has nearly met the old 2020 target already (33%).

But it's the early bits that are easy and the last bits that are difficult.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Slightly more ambitious targets would make this bill much more reasonable. 2045 is quite a bit slower than "overnight".

Lambert fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 10, 2018

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
As others have pointed out, the late dates are for the last fiddly bits, the plan isn't to wait till december 31 2044 or whatever to even start. Most of it should be ahead of that date.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

california will finally be carbon neutral just in time for the abandonment of most of the state due to water shortages

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Shear Modulus posted:

california will finally be carbon neutral just in time for the abandonment of most of the state due to water shortages

Start investing in fireproof housing near Lake Tahoe

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Hey I'm all for more aggressive targets requiring a wartime level national mobilization, but that requires the kind of deficit spending that's only possible when you can print money, which the state of CA can not currently do. So here we are.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Like, you can poo poo on Jerry Brown for any number of reasons but LOL at doing it because he didn't single-handedly win a war that was likely lost in the 80's.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Jaxyon posted:

Like, you can poo poo on Jerry Brown for any number of reasons but LOL at doing it because he didn't single-handedly win a war that was likely lost in the 80's.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1039274836567252994

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
loving death cult

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Decarbonizing California before 2045 would actually be a massive and meaningful change in the future emissions potentials. Just in California's potential emissions alone, and that's ignoring the vanguard effect.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It's a giant leap ahead of everything else we've done or planned to do. But it's NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

So when will Silicon Valley start raining down cash on green energy startups? We're ready for a check any time...

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

bawfuls posted:

So when will Silicon Valley start raining down cash on green energy startups? We're ready for a check any time...

Sorry. Too busy inventing the next Juicero, but this time for freshly-squeezed blockchains.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

bawfuls posted:

When somebody figures out how to turn green energy into an app.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sydin posted:

When somebody figures out how to turn green energy into an app.

My dad's solar panels have an app to monitor how much energy they're producing. :downs:

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I predict they just fudge the numbers by moving poo poo off of the California books and giving the ugliest, most pollutiest crap to the federal government to manage.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

El Mero Mero posted:

I predict they just fudge the numbers by moving poo poo off of the California books and giving the ugliest, most pollutiest crap to the federal government to manage.

https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles/read/on-to-the-governors-desk-what-100-clean-energy-means-for-california

quote:

Furthermore, the text of the law stipulates that California must do this without causing additional greenhouse gas emissions elsewhere in the Western grid, meaning it cannot simply outsource fossil fuel combustion beyond state borders.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

bawfuls posted:

thats what tesla was marketed as, and well...

really though silicon valley and private capital are not interested in giving juicero and theranos levels of funding companies that do something as mundane as sell solar panels. you only get money from andressen horowitz if you are creating a new private market and anyone who ever wants to drink juice or test blood or buy a product online is going to give you a cut.

so installing solar panels or a new low-cost way to insulate old houses? nah. a proprietary platform built off proprietary machine learning to predict and display power needs, costs, and generation capabilities of intermittent renewable power (like solar and wind) and a few local utilities are already relying on your demo version you arent charging for (yet) but are already locked in? you betcha

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's a bunch of solar panel companies and lots of htem have gotten venture capital actually. It used to be a darling of the stock picking thread. There's also companies that finance the industry-scale solar plants, and VC money can go there too.

It's just not particularly focused on silicon valley.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

yeah there are lots of goofy silicon valley funded energy startups

https://kairospower.com/

https://x.company/makani/

https://www.natelenergy.com/

http://www.cyclotronroad.org/calwave/

Fig.1 - Makani's Wind Power Kite

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Again, California has a metric gently caress ton of water, the issue is that the infrastructure to get it where it needs to go doesnt exist or would severly damage state and national parks. If it came down to it I would expect a fuckton of pipelines to starting being put up from norcal down.

Also water rights and poo poo.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Telsa Cola posted:

Again, California has a metric gently caress ton of water, the issue is that the infrastructure to get it where it needs to go doesnt exist or would severly damage state and national parks. If it came down to it I would expect a fuckton of pipelines to starting being put up from norcal down.

Also, rivers are kinda important

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Desalination :(

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

More money for solar panels and wind kites and wave energy is great but even if all of those technologies are gangbusters we still need large scale energy storage to manage the transient nature of renewable production and consumer demand. Fund me you fuckers :argh:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

bawfuls posted:

solar panels and wind kites and wave energy

Admit it, you just started making up names

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bawfuls posted:

More money for solar panels and wind kites and wave energy is great but even if all of those technologies are gangbusters we still need large scale energy storage to manage the transient nature of renewable production and consumer demand. Fund me you fuckers :argh:

The Energy Storage Train people got some local permits in NV and are aiming for a 50MW plant online in 2020

Of course there's the plan to turn Eagle Mountain into pumped storage:

:v:

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

bawfuls posted:

replace Fresno with a gigantic flywheel

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

Trabisnikof posted:

Of course there's the plan to turn Eagle Mountain into pumped storage:

:v:
Why's this :v:-worthy? I'm a layperson but I had the impression pumped storage was an acceptable method of evening out power generation/consumption. Or is it something about that particular mountain (in...Riverside County?)?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

bitprophet posted:

Why's this :v:-worthy? I'm a layperson but I had the impression pumped storage was an acceptable method of evening out power generation/consumption. Or is it something about that particular mountain (in...Riverside County?)?

Nah its more I was teasing bawfuls about these other companies getting press/funding/etc. I have no idea if Eagle Mountain is a good idea or not. It does seem like it might happen. It is certainly in a place where no one would notice it, you can't ever really see into the pits from public land. But I always assume companies downplay water needs and aquifer risk.

The train thing is certainly goofy too, but makes some (limited) amount of sense.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

I think we'll get there eventually, it's just too expensive compared to other forms of obtaining drinking water at the moment. Also IIRC most current industrial desalination techniques discharge a ton of brine which can play hell with ocean life at high volumes.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

desalination is insanely energy-intensive. using it as an actual water source only makes sense if energy is basically free and nonpolluting.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Shear Modulus posted:

desalination is insanely energy-intensive. using it as an actual water source only makes sense if energy is basically free and nonpolluting.

There has been materials science progress on that front with cheaper more efficient membranes.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2018/05/alan-turings-contribution-to-chemistry-used-to-filter-salt-water/

Sydin posted:

I think we'll get there eventually, it's just too expensive compared to other forms of obtaining drinking water at the moment. Also IIRC most current industrial desalination techniques discharge a ton of brine which can play hell with ocean life at high volumes.

You can mitigate this somewhat by mixing the brine into (processed) waste water.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Shear Modulus posted:

The environmental impacts in the area surrounding the plant can also be significant.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Desal is absolutely last resort. Purifying waste water is significantly lower in energy and doesn’t poo poo up the environment with intakes and brine.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Family Values posted:

You can mitigate this somewhat by mixing the brine into (processed) waste water.
Good ol' "dilution is the solution" at work.

A much less energy intensive option might be reclaiming that waste water, but I suppose that is a hard sell.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Toilet to Tap!! Toilet to Tap!!!

(Its such a good idea.)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Reclaimation of waste water into potable tap water is the Holy Grail, but good luck getting the public on board despite the myriad of studies confirming that when properly treated it's just as if not more sanitary than tap from a normal freshwater source.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

bawfuls posted:

Did Brown sign SB700? That at least extends SGIP through 2025 and is expected to add 3 GW of behind-the-meter storage. Not enough, but it's something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

fermun posted:

Did Brown sign SB700? That at least extends SGIP through 2025 and is expected to add 3 GW of behind-the-meter storage. Not enough, but it's something.

SB700 is still on his desk, it only passed the legislature last week.

With that step forward, there are still shithead lobbying groups trying to restrict who can install those batteries, taking it away from Solar contractors and making it exclusively electrical work, license-wise.