Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Has this been mentioned here? Turkey snatches 'Gulenist' teachers in Moldova

quote:

Turkish and Moldovan intelligence services have reportedly detained at least six Turkish nationals employed at a private chain of high schools in Moldova today, part of Ankara’s controversial global campaign to seize and render individuals linked to exiled Turkish cleric Fethullah Gulen back to Turkey.

quote:

All six detainees are teachers or students at the Horizont Turkish chain of lycees linked to Gulen’s worldwide network, which Ankara is determined to see shuttered. Ilknur Karacaoglu's husband Hasan, a deputy principal at Horizant, was among the detainees. She told BOLDmedya she and her husband were driving when a group of men she described as “police” stopped their car by force. The men did not identify themselves. “My husband tried to flee. They pushed him to the ground and kicked a few times, then took him away. It was a mafia-style thing,” she said.

BOLDmedya claimed that another of the detainees, school accountant Mujdat Celebi, carried papers identifying him as an asylum seeker. Images of the documents allegedly issued by the Moldovan authorities were posted on BOLDmedya’s account.

quote:

On March 31, the SIS detained Horizont director Turgay Sen for alleged links to terrorism financing. He was freed after seeking political asylum in Moldova. He was not named among today’s group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
General Flynn's clandestine operations have brought him back to Moldova, it seems.

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Turns out the exact moment Hass underground hospital was bombed was caught on camera:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9FwG8lIyPc

You can clearly see the bomb at the start of the video falling through the air, it's all consistent with the claims helicopters dropped barrel bombs on the hospital, which were tracked by aircraft spotters and seen by witnesses.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Grape posted:

Hey everyone, it's me, the anti-imperialist guy. And today I want to talk about how it's just plain ridiculous to blame current conflict and tensions on what Europe was doing to these places, what, 50+ years ago? Gimme a break. Take some responbility for yourselves post-colonial nations.
Anyway, I gotta go, so lemme know which side of the current conflict once got a head nod in the hallway from Russia so I can entirely align myself behind them for some reason. Toodles.

The Ottomans are just as guilty. Like I know everyone in this thread wants to give Tayyip a reacharound but his country’s predecessor and previous Sunni rulers spent like 100s of years kicking Alawites into the dirt, and stripping them of their rights.

This may come as a surprise to you, but Sunnis do not have a monopoly on suffering and discrimination.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Squalid posted:

The text of the book I posted was written in 1980.

Here's another quote on the subject written in 1989, although it's by an author Volkerball thinks is an idiot so if you trust his opinion you should take it with a grain of salt:

What's your opinion on those statements I posted from Sunni NDF members expressing feelings of discrimination against themselves because of their religion? Do you think they are just Sunni supremacists, who hate Alawites despite supporting Assad?

edit: I think the sectarian nature of the Assad regime is obscured because it tends to be based on de facto rather than explicit arrangements. Prior to the war for example, there was a lot of resentment as Sunni's were cut out of the smuggling trade on the Lebanese border.

https://warontherocks.com/2016/08/assad-or-we-burn-the-country-misreading-sectarianism-and-the-regime-in-syria/

Hafez repeatedly downplayed or suppressed the more unique aspects of the Alawite religion, and made a concerted effort to outright ignore the divisions in Islam. The Assads have not been very kind to their bretheren; they are primarily concerned about themselves and their allied families.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Frond posted:

The Ottomans are just as guilty. Like I know everyone in this thread wants to give Tayyip a reacharound

what, no. no erdogan's name has very very consistently been Mud in every iteration of this thread.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Frond posted:

Hafez repeatedly downplayed or suppressed the more unique aspects of the Alawite religion, and made a concerted effort to outright ignore the divisions in Islam. The Assads have not been very kind to their bretheren; they are primarily concerned about themselves and their allied families.

Why do you think Sunni supporters of Assad say they are targeted for harassment because of their religion? Would you say a Sunni officer and an Alawite officer of no blood relation to Assad have equal odds of promotion within the Syrian military?

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Squalid posted:

Why do you think Sunni supporters of Assad say they are targeted for harassment because of their religion? Would you say a Sunni officer and an Alawite officer of no blood relation to Assad have equal odds of promotion within the Syrian military?

Now? Not likely. In the past (prior to the war) this was absolutely the case.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Weird how Alawites made up over 80% of Syrian officers prior to the war. Just lucky guys I guess.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Frond posted:

Now? Not likely. In the past (prior to the war) this was absolutely the case.

Sergg posted:

Weird how Alawites made up over 80% of Syrian officers prior to the war. Just lucky guys I guess.

Hell of a coincidence ahaha

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Frond posted:

The Ottomans are just as guilty. Like I know everyone in this thread wants to give Tayyip a reacharound

Congrats on somehow being even more wrong than you were previously?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Frond posted:

The Ottomans are just as guilty. Like I know everyone in this thread wants to give Tayyip a reacharound but

I'm married to a Greek Cypriot lolllll, please tell me more about my extensive Turkish apologism I apparently do!
Like this was a dumb as hell accusation at the thread in general but you really couldn't have tossed it at a worse person, so congrats on your extremely low quality whataboutism. :thumbsup:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

lol Turkey had to find the wimpiest most desperate target in the area for them to bully into playing ball on this bullshit.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Willie Tomg posted:

what, no. no erdogan's name has very very consistently been Mud in every iteration of this thread.

Yes, but remember, it's only because he's a POC.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Ego-bot posted:

Yes, but remember, it's only because he's a POC.

Maybe by like Iowan standards lmao.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Grape posted:

Maybe by like Iowan standards lmao.

Muslim counts as brown.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The ruling ethnicity of all states tend to be disproportionately represented in elite fighting units. An interesting example is how there are more Native Americans in the Navy SEALs than African Americans.

qkkl fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 10, 2018

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

qkkl posted:

The ruling ethnicity of all states tend to be disproportionately represented in elite fighting units. An interesting example is how there are more Native American's in the Navy SEALs than African Americans.

wat.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

qkkl is very possibly just a bot programmed to make hot takes, pay him no mind.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Alawites are just naturally better soldiers, which is why they get promoted to officer so quickly.
Also they get their own traffic lanes in Damascus because they're such good drivers

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Are there posters itt suffering from the effects.of chemical weapons?

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Sergg posted:

Alawites are just naturally better soldiers, which is why they get promoted to officer so quickly.
Also they get their own traffic lanes in Damascus because they're such good drivers

Actually, they introduced separate lanes after Bassels death due to Alawites being bad drivers.

this is fake news

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

Personally I think a mafioso clan of bourgeoisie looters should be in control of every country. I think we can all agree that the real badguys of this war are hospitals.

spaceships
Aug 4, 2005

i love too dumptruck

guacamole aficionado

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Are there posters itt suffering from the effects.of chemical weapons?

a prerequisite for posting in ME/israel-palestine threads is that you have to be monumentally retarded. even the people with decent takes.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So apparently Trump just closed both PLO offices and Palestine diplomatic mission in Washington - hopefully this is just virtue signalling to his howling evangelist supporters and not a prelude to more bloodshed :ohdear:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Sergg posted:

Personally I think a mafioso clan of bourgeoisie looters should be in control of every country. I think we can all agree that the real badguys of this war are hospitals.

Thats the people's mafioso clan of bourgeoisie looters to you bub.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Sergg posted:

This seems to imply that every Alawite was a member of the Shabiha.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Assad(and by extension, the Syrian Regime) is simply a murderous rear end in a top hat that went after any and all threats to his rule. It just so happens that the largest of these groups are Sunni Islamists. I don’t believe that he engineered an Alawite dominated state. He’s many things but I just don’t see evidence of this supposed sectarianism.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Frond posted:

Assad(and by extension, the Syrian Regime) is simply a murderous rear end in a top hat that went after any and all threats to his rule. It just so happens that the largest of these groups are Sunni Islamists. I don’t believe that he engineered an Alawite dominated state. He’s many things but I just don’t see evidence of this supposed sectarianism.

Several examples were shown to you already.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Sectarianism in the Syrian Arab Republic, you say?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Count Roland posted:

Several examples were shown to you already.

Can't see evidence if you refuse to look at it!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Frond posted:

Hey maybe you didn't pick this up from all the constant mentionings of European colonial empires using ethnic and sectarian tensions to help rule. But turns out such things are also super useful for authoritarian regimes in holding on to power as well.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

When I say "looters" I'm not being coy or using Marxist lingo, I mean literal looters. Every single ounce of wealth that exists in former rebel territory is carefully extracted by the militias and redistributed into a second-hand black market of looted goods that exists within Syria's patronage networks and is done with total impunity by government forces. Sometimes they even loot government-controlled neighborhoods. They even take refrigerators and strip the copper wiring out of houses if they can.

http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-syria-tafeesh-20180730-story.html

"There’s inevitably a sectarian element. Tafeesh markets appearing in religiously mixed cities such as Homs are often called souq al-Sunnah (the Sunnis’ market)."

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Sergg posted:

When I say "looters" I'm not being coy or using Marxist lingo, I mean literal looters. Every single ounce of wealth that exists in former rebel territory is carefully extracted by the militias and redistributed into a second-hand black market of looted goods that exists within Syria's patronage networks and is done with total impunity by government forces. Sometimes they even loot government-controlled neighborhoods. They even take refrigerators and strip the copper wiring out of houses if they can.

http://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-syria-tafeesh-20180730-story.html

"There’s inevitably a sectarian element. Tafeesh markets appearing in religiously mixed cities such as Homs are often called souq al-Sunnah (the Sunnis’ market)."

Yeah, that article mentions that it's so much of an issue that Russian military officers stepped in and put a stop to it on at least one occasion:

quote:

In May, a video emerged of three Russian military officers arresting three government fighters when they tried to leave Babbila, a suburb near Damascus, with two truckloads of furniture. A crowd gathering around them breaks into applause when the Russians force the looters to lie on the ground.
Christ, even pro-regime posters on the Syrian Civil War subreddit will say that looting by Shabiha/paramilitary gangs is a legitimate problem that needs to be addressed.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Saladin Rising posted:

Yeah, that article mentions that it's so much of an issue that Russian military officers stepped in and put a stop to it on at least one occasion:

Christ, even pro-regime posters on the Syrian Civil War subreddit will say that looting by Shabiha/paramilitary gangs is a legitimate problem that needs to be addressed.

Just because it's so bad that even regime soldiers and alawites get their poo poo robbed if they aren't around.

Sneakster
Jul 13, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Wait, so why is the US in Afghanistan again?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Frond posted:

Uhh do you think he inherited an Alawite dominated state?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Sneakster posted:

Obama convened a council of national security experts to answer this question and their response was vOv

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sneakster posted:

The Taliban were giving safe harbor to Al Qaeda and they were using that as a base for global terrorist operations. Thus it was decided that the Taliban taking over the whole country would be a very bad result.

Afghanistan was still in the midst of a rather long and ugly civil war. We didn't technically invade, we just started giving lots of help to the Northern Alliance faction. It's been rather more difficult to stabilize the country than anticipated, shockingly.

It's a good question as to whether letting the Taliban take over the country would have produced a worse result. I'm not sure at this point. Afghanistan was going to be a weeping sore for decades whether we had intervened or not and it's hard to judge which outcome would have been worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Uhh do you think he inherited an Alawite dominated state?

To be clear he did: his father set up that domination in his 29 years before Bashar took over and continued it.