Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Guy Goodbody posted:

I genuinely think that the best thing for the Build franchise to do is to do a different genre show in the Gunpla obsessed world it has established. Like a Gunpla romance or cooking show.

There was that one cooking anime Sunrise made where the Black Tri-Stars made a cameo as a team of bread makers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I genuinely think that the best thing for the Build franchise to do is to do a different genre show in the Gunpla obsessed world it has established. Like a Gunpla romance or cooking show.

Who will FA-gundam-chan choose? Will she fall in with her childhood friend and resident bad boy zaku-kun, or will she pursue a safe, boring future with SUMO-sempai?

I will accept any Gunpla genre show as long as the primary actors are the gunpla

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
They still make SD Gundam shorts, don't they? Make them into a whole show.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Hell, you could do a MMO in the original BF universe where you scan your Gunpla in and your Gunpla is your in-game avatar.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Arcsquad12 posted:

There was that one cooking anime Sunrise made where the Black Tri-Stars made a cameo as a team of bread makers.

I think that was in Yakitate!! Japan which is a genuinely amazing show. So good.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Blaze Dragon posted:

Is it though? If anything, it's insane the original Build Fighters worked, as a far more blatant half-hour ad for Gunpla than any Gundam series prior. I don't mean this because I think merchandise-driven shows are bad, but because of how it seems like the exact kind of poo poo that'd get Bandai to micromanage everything because we gotta sell really hard, gently caress your creative vision.

BF being allowed to be a series is what's impressive. That, after its success, following series would be watered down and more controlled by people who care far more about getting money than allowing writers to be writers is, sadly, to be expected. That it only got worse with time is, too, since it's just becoming more of an ad, and nothing short of a complete failure to sell Gunpla may change that.

The problem with this is that the gunpla in question are mostly pretty drat good. Solid designs, really colorful liveries, willingness to get a little crazy with the special effects parts and so on. It's like the SEMA car show but Gunpla.

I built a Wing Zero Honoo and it's a really cool looking kit.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Arcsquad12 posted:

So we went from "holy poo poo making plastic robots fight using future-physics because this hobby is awesome!" to "Artificial Intelligence need people rights DRAMA!" in just five years.

Compared to today's standards, extremely fast. When not in atmosphere a Mobile Suit can travel at fairly ridiculous speeds. According to the specs on the Gundam Wiki, the RX-78-2 could achieve a rate of acceleration equal to 0.93 G, while it's pair of main thrusters each provided 24000 kilograms of thrust, supplemented by four secondary thrusters providing 1870kg of thrust for attitude control. The point is that mobile suits are loving fast.
However, travel times can become longer due to Minovsky particle density loving with long range sensors and the sheer amount of debris orbiting earth in "shoal zones" from the wreckage of fleets and ruined colonies. Additionally, fuel consumption is an issue for UC suits. It's all well and good to fly at ungodly fast velocities but even with a microfusion reactor, suits run out of propellant. That's why you see suits like the Psyco Zaku and the Sazabi and Sinanju with big fuel pods strapped to their backpacks.

Mobile Suit engagements tend to be very close range, again due to minovksy particles making long range detection next to impossible. Close range in space probably meaning under 1000 kilometers, and often less than 10km.

And then in late UC you get Minovsky flight systems and poo poo gets super bonkers.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Waffles Inc. posted:

How fast are ships and mobile suits in the UC? Like, what is the travel time between Sides? How far apart are ships when they engage and launch suits?

The White Base apparently takes about a week to go from Side 7 to Earth, which is about as long as it'd take to go from Earth to any of the other Sides or to go from one Lagrange Point to the next closest one since they're all equidistant from Earth. I don't think that passage of time is ever conveyed in show though, and it's just something pulled from the wiki's timeline so take it with a grain of salt.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Mobile Suit engagements tend to be very close range, again due to minovksy particles making long range detection next to impossible. Close range in space probably meaning under 1000 kilometers, and often less than 10km.

I highly doubt any two ships in Gundam ever engage at more than about 30km or maybe 100km at most. 1000km seems way, way outside anything actually shown on screen. Minovsky particles are presumably responsible for why engagements need to be so close, and without them they could probably engage at far longer ranges but I don't recall any ship to ship battles that ever seemed even close to that kind of range.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

tsob posted:

The White Base apparently takes about a week to go from Side 7 to Earth, which is about as long as it'd take to go from Earth to any of the other Sides or to go from one Lagrange Point to the next closest one since they're all equidistant from Earth.

L1 is nearest earth. L2 is slightly farther away. L4 and L5 are each the same distance from Earth. L3 is on the other side of the sun.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Those are the Earth/Sun Lagrange points. Gundam uses the Earth/Moon Lagrange points.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Edit: gently caress it.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

tsob posted:

Those are the Earth/Sun Lagrange points. Gundam uses the Earth/Moon Lagrange points.

L1 and 2 are not equidistant
:goonsay:

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I distinctly remember a line like "Side 3, which was the furthest from Earth". Did I dream that?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Improbable Lobster posted:

Yea, I forgot the exact positions of all of them and thought they were all equidistant like points 3, 4 and 5 are. My mistake.

Droyer posted:

I distinctly remember a line like "Side 3, which was the furthest from Earth". Did I dream that?

Side 3 (Zeon) is at L1, on the far side of the Moon. It'd take extra time regardless of distance, since you'd have to travel around the Moon to reach it. I'm pretty sure the narrator says that line in the opening prologue of the first dozen or so episodes though, yes.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oWsXv7b4NQ

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

tsob posted:

The White Base apparently takes about a week to go from Side 7 to Earth, which is about as long as it'd take to go from Earth to any of the other Sides or to go from one Lagrange Point to the next closest one since they're all equidistant from Earth. I don't think that passage of time is ever conveyed in show though, and it's just something pulled from the wiki's timeline so take it with a grain of salt.

I highly doubt any two ships in Gundam ever engage at more than about 30km or maybe 100km at most. 1000km seems way, way outside anything actually shown on screen. Minovsky particles are presumably responsible for why engagements need to be so close, and without them they could probably engage at far longer ranges but I don't recall any ship to ship battles that ever seemed even close to that kind of range.

The 1000km estimate I put out takes drift into account. They don't just go to a dead stop when they engage, and space is really big. Considering ships and suits are only limited by their maximum rate of acceleration, a battlefield's active zone would be less than 100km but take place over thousands of kilometers as they drift relative to each other.

AtheistMantis
Oct 5, 2014

Arcsquad12 posted:

The 1000km estimate I put out takes drift into account. They don't just go to a dead stop when they engage, and space is really big. Considering ships and suits are only limited by their maximum rate of acceleration, a battlefield's active zone would be less than 100km but take place over thousands of kilometers as they drift relative to each other.

Quick! Somebody edit Initial D music into some gundam battles!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

AtheistMantis posted:

Quick! Somebody edit Initial D music into some gundam battles!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgiXKbOlACE

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Improbable Lobster posted:

L2 is also the point on the far side of the moon, not L1, despite what that image indicates. For some reason they've been swapped.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I think the UC Sides are also like zones orbiting the LG points, not the points themselves. I'm not sure what the advantage of this is, though it does seem like it might be more space efficient and perhaps not require as much station-keeping fuel? Colonies are already probably tracked by computer if you're going from one to the other.

Anyway here is a useful pair of images:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/vigwer/status/1039532579026743296

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Nessus posted:

I think the UC Sides are also like zones orbiting the LG points, not the points themselves. I'm not sure what the advantage of this is, though it does seem like it might be more space efficient and perhaps not require as much station-keeping fuel? Colonies are already probably tracked by computer if you're going from one to the other.

Anyway here is a useful pair of images:

L1, 2, and 3 are all metastable so you can't really park anything right on then without using tons of corrective thrust. 4 and 5 will attract things to themselves and will become shoal zones without constant janitoring.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I picked up reading the Unicorn: Bande Dessinee manga again, which follows the novels more closely, and I found out why they apparently changed the character who pilots the Shamblo for the anime version.

Originally the girl rides Shamblo with her muslim extremist father and he makes her blow up a tower full of civilians because it's a symbol of western imperialism "Federation unilateralism". :stonk: but the girl begins to wonder if their "jihad" is justified. Then her father shoots her and her newtype ghost shows Banagher where to shoot the Shamblo

It's a shame they had to be so incredibly on the nose, because she actually served a story purpose. Banagher and Zinnerman are only saved from a slow death wandering the desert because she and Banagher share a newtype moment(TM)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I haven't read the novels but I prefer the animated take of her just doing it because she's told since it echoes Banagher, Riddhe and a few others inheriting their parents will in various ways, but her anger at the Federation just being this empty motive with no personal connection that she's only chasing because she was told she should. Having Federation soldiers rape her mom gives her a personal connection, which takes away from that thematic relevance as well as being yet more rape backstory in a show already overly reliant on it.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

tsob posted:

Having Federation soldiers rape her mom gives her a personal connection, which takes away from that thematic relevance as well as being yet more rape backstory in a show already overly reliant on it.

The manga leaves that part out luckily. It plays story elements closer to the novels and takes out the same creepy stuff that the anime took out. In that respect it's a pretty good split between the 2 if you want an alternate take on Unicorn.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Also, the whole ‘teenager piloting giant psychic war machine carrying the will of their dead father’ thing anime-Loni has going on creates some interesting parallels with Banagher. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that he masters the NT-D in the same fight where she loses herself to the Shamblo’s psycommu.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Well I finished watching the Seed Remaster, which is actually my first time watching Seed all the way through to the end, and I'm not sure whether I've just softened with age or Build Divers has lowered my standards, but it actually ended up being a lot better than I remembered. Well, the first 30 or so episodes are pretty meh, which is pretty much what I remembered but the ten-ish episode stretch from the first landing at Orb to the Invasion of Orb was actually pretty drat good (creepy doll faces aside). The final Strike/Aegis fight is probably one of the best in the series and they actually managed to have some real character development and not just teeny drama. The return to space I didn't like so much though. Between the leaders of both sides suddenly becoming super evil and suddenly puppet master super admiral Lacus, it just got a little ridiculous and the return to overusing stock animations didn't help. (Insert 30 seconds of lock-on computer and Meteor missile bays opening) The ending was.. satisfactory? I can't help but wonder if Kira's narrative wouldn't have been capped off better if he actually did die, but yes much like what was said in the previous Seed/Destiny discussions, the ending really didn't solve the conflict at all, it just destroyed all the super weapons.

I also forgot just how ugly the Strike Dagger is as a design. A lot of Zaft stuff is pretty ugly too, but kind of cool ugly. The Dagger on the other hand is just gaudy. It shouldn't have been too hard to get a nice GM-alike out of the Strike but it just doesn't work at all.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Loni from the anime loving sucks. She just kills a bunch of people for no goddamn reason, other than the fact she's mad at the federation. Yet at the same time the show goes on with Banagher yelling about how she's a good person. Sorry show, actions not words matter and if you don't have a single moment of on screen kindness from the character you can't tell me she's a good person. At least in the novels, Loni feels like a victim of her father's hatred, which is a kind of mirror to banagher and at least makes her somewhat sympathetic.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Monaghan posted:

Loni from the anime loving sucks. She just kills a bunch of people for no goddamn reason, other than the fact she's mad at the federation. Yet at the same time the show goes on with Banagher yelling about how she's a good person. Sorry show, actions not words matter and if you don't have a single moment of on screen kindness from the character you can't tell me she's a good person. At least in the novels, Loni feels like a victim of her father's hatred, which is a kind of mirror to banagher and at least makes her somewhat sympathetic.

Did you miss the scene where the Shamblo ate her brain? Because that was pretty central to what went down at Torrington and why Banagher was trying to save her.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm trying to recall something about the HD SeeD remake; Was the Perfect Strike Gundam a fan thing that got canonized or was it something Sunrise did first?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I'm trying to recall something about the HD SeeD remake; Was the Perfect Strike Gundam a fan thing that got canonized or was it something Sunrise did first?

I think it was an MSV thing that they wanted to include but couldn’t figure out how to easily animate. Hence the Destiny, a more animator-friendly take on the same concept. I mean, it certainly looks like it was planned from day one - all of the Strike’s expansion packs are shaped like incomplete parts of a single whole.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Did you miss the scene where the Shamblo ate her brain? Because that was pretty central to what went down at Torrington and why Banagher was trying to save her.

She killed a bunch of people in Dakar as well. So either she's deliberately trying to kill a bunch of innocent civilians, or she's stupid enough to back into a machine which is compelling her to commit atrocities. She doesn't come out looking like a good person either way.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kind of like the rest of the Zeon remnants. A bunch of bitter old jerks who couldn't let go of the past actively loving over their own next of kin by instilling a desire for vengeance that destroys any chance for them to let go and have a future.

Nobody came out of the attack on Torrington looking good.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

Kind of like the rest of the Zeon remnants. A bunch of bitter old jerks who couldn't let go of the past actively loving over their own next of kin by instilling a desire for vengeance that destroys any chance for them to let go and have a future.

Nobody came out of the attack on Torrington looking good.

The Byarlant Custom pilot kinda did.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

Incidentally, I recently played a Super Robot Wars game that replaced that dude with Jerid of all people

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

chiasaur11 posted:

He's a Titan scumlord trying to hide his past.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Monaghan posted:

She killed a bunch of people in Dakar as well. So either she's deliberately trying to kill a bunch of innocent civilians, or she's stupid enough to back into a machine which is compelling her to commit atrocities. She doesn't come out looking like a good person either way.

IIRC, she just took out a Federation carrier during the Dakar attack. That’s a legit military target, unlike a residential district.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
She blasted a giant beam trench all the way to the Parliament building.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

RillAkBea posted:

much like what was said in the previous Seed/Destiny discussions, the ending really didn't solve the conflict at all, it just destroyed all the super weapons.

Well, I mean, that's kind of in the spirit of Gundam really. Mobile Suit Gundam's finale didn't actually resolve the central point of conflict between Earth and Zeon either; it just exhausted both sides so much that they took the excuse of the Zabis being dead to wrap up the war. Which is why not only can 0083, ZZ, Char's Counterattack and Unicorn all be about Zeon remnants trying to finish the fight, but F91, Victory and even Turn A and G-Reco can largely revolve around Spacenoid attempts to control the Earthsphere.