Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

The true form of Hydaelyn is some sort of hideous Lovecraftian monster, but we perceive it as a big pretty crystal because it has tempered us.

Then we have to teleport inside her with an axe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Do the number of shards floating around Hydelyn match the number of splinter worlds?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

For the person who mentioned playing DRK, I consider myself an extremely lovely MMO player and didn't have any problem playing DRK through normal dungeons (currently into the post-Heavensward dungeon content).

Overall I found it (and I imagine tanking in general) considerably less stressful than healing, though I find Scholar pretty manageable (though I think I'd hit my "limit" pretty fast with any remotely hard content, because I have terrible reaction time). Astrologian I just couldn't cope with; the cards were too much.

oh no blimp issue posted:

Do the number of shards floating around Hydelyn match the number of splinter worlds?

For the non-tempered, those shards actually appear as hideous, bloodshot eyes.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 10, 2018

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Pretty loving metal.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Did you know Surecast also works on Rescue? Found that out during Dun Sçaith when someone thought they were saving me.

yeah rescue is essentially a knockback, so knockback prevention will actually stop it

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Also Medica 2 is great, I keep it going always because WHM never runs out of mana and more regen is more time to holy.

Incorrect, you need to keep holy'ing until your mana pool is empty. If you still have mana, you can still holy. Incidentally, I'm a terrible healer.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
If the enemy is dead, they cant do damage. So really holy is just aggressive healin

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
drk 60
Sidurgu: Oh, bloody brilliant! Let's believe the mysterious boy with the mysterious power who mysteriously stole a portion of Phone's soul crystal. What could possibly go wrong?

lmao

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Awaken my child, and embrace the glory that is your birthright. Know that I am Hydaelyn; the eternal will of the Lifestream, and that you have been created to serve me.

If ever your flesh should fail, that flesh shall be made anew. That is my covenant with all my Champions.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Phone posted:

drk 60
Sidurgu: Oh, bloody brilliant! Let's believe the mysterious boy with the mysterious power who mysteriously stole a portion of Phone's soul crystal. What could possibly go wrong?

lmao

Sidurgu owns

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Algid posted:

Awaken my child, and embrace the glory that is your birthright. Know that I am Hydaelyn; the eternal will of the Lifestream, and that you have been created to serve me.

If ever your flesh should fail, that flesh shall be made anew. That is my covenant with all my Champions.

:perfect:

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Evil Hydaelyn seems like a weird twist for the sake of a weird twist

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Blockhouse posted:

I could see Hydaelyn turning out to be closer to "neutral" but it would seem like a pointless subversion to just make her evil, as well as making the Ascians, like, correct? I feel like the WoD probably did more than enough to demonstrate that you can have too much of a good thing.

NBA FAN !!!!!!!
Dec 4, 2002

Blockhouse posted:

If I'm getting this right by proxy that'd make Minfilia the Big Bad and now I'm looking forward to The Waking Sands (Extreme)

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

it still boggles the mind that after several FFs where Square successfully blended sword-and-shield fantasy with mecha fantasy, that for the movie they decided to abandon all of it entirely and go with pure science fantasy that wasn't really all that scientific or fantastic in any way

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Nessus posted:

I could see Hydaelyn turning out to be closer to "neutral" but it would seem like a pointless subversion to just make her evil, as well as making the Ascians, like, correct? I feel like the WoD probably did more than enough to demonstrate that you can have too much of a good thing.

Zodiark is evil too

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Zodiark is evil too

If Hydaelyn was evil, she would be telling us "obey" in Answers instead of "hear, feel, think".

She's obviously complicit in why the worlds are split/screwed up, but I don't think whatever action the mother crystal took was out of maliciousness. At the very worse, I'm guessing the reason will put her into a morally gray area, but I'm sure that Zodiark will fall into the lawful evil category. Watch all of this be wrong.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Tekne posted:

If Hydaelyn was evil, she would be telling us "obey" in Answers instead of "hear, feel, think".

She's obviously complicit in why the worlds are split/screwed up, but I don't think whatever action the mother crystal took was out of maliciousness. At the very worse, I'm guessing the reason will put her into a morally gray area, but I'm sure that Zodiark will fall into the lawful evil category. Watch all of this be wrong.
She’s playing the long game.
She’s nurturing the planet until it’s ripe and she’s going to feast on the bountiful aether.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

What I’m saying is that we’re the herald of Galactus

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I'm down with this as long as we get a dark Answers with multiple movements for each phase of Hydaelyn's boss fight.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Tekne posted:

I'm down with this as long as we get a dark Answers with multiple movements for each phase of Hydaelyn's boss fight.

That’d be sick!

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
To all of my children in whom life flows abundant
To all of my children to whom death hath passed his judgement
Get hosed!!! *transitions to powerman 5000 cover*

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

She’s playing the long game.
She’s nurturing the planet until it’s ripe and she’s going to feast on the bountiful aether.

Hear... Feel... Think... (Lavos theme starts)

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Hey so to whoever posted that big fuckoff effortpost on the other page, that was really cool and good and I have upped my healing game because of it. Also thanks to the posters who helped me out with GCD weaving, which has given new life beyond "ACN-scathe" to Ruin II.

My next question is - how do you efficiently swap between your healing target and your DPS target? Thus far I've been using a combination of focus target on the tank and clicking. F-keys feel a little far for casual use. These both break down further in trials, where I obviously can't focus both tanks and F8 is simply too far for any real use. At this point my habit is pretty firmly set on just clicking the character in the party list - is there something more efficient I should be using for snap heals (i.e. trying to get in before a tankbuster), or do I just need to get really quick on the draw with clicking?

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
You shouldn't ever need to focus both tanks. Only one tank has the boss at any given time -- in story-mode trials, there's nothing for the second tank to do except dps in all but a handful of cases. For situations where there is a tank swap, you need to know when the tank swap happens, so maybe consider focus targeting the boss?

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Blockhouse posted:

I don't think she's really evil, but I'm expecting that she's leaving out some critical details (see 3.4) that when all is said and done, is not going to have the best interests of the people in mind.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I think crystal mom just screwed up and is embarrassed to talk about it. She'll only realize at the last second that she has to tell us something really important and leave us to clean up the mess.

Hommando
Mar 2, 2012

ChickenWing posted:

My next question is - how do you efficiently swap between your healing target and your DPS target?
Lets assume single-target and you're hardcasting, just click your desired target, begin cast, then before your cast finishes you click on the boss and start spamming your dps button. Your heal will still go off on your target and you'll already be queuing up an attack on the enemy. If you're using an oGCD there's no real trick to it, just cast it on your healing target then swap back to the enemy. I generally use the tab button since it's the default target button. You should have the boss as the target of your focus instead of the tank.

quote:

F-keys feel a little far for casual use.
The F-keys are bad.

quote:

These both break down further in trials, where I obviously can't focus both tanks and F8 is simply too far for any real use.
As someone already said, you should mostly be worried about the main tank. Once you start to learn content you'll know when you should be worrying about the off tank.

quote:

At this point my habit is pretty firmly set on just clicking the character in the party list - is there something more efficient I should be using for snap heals (i.e. trying to get in before a tankbuster), or do I just need to get really quick on the draw with clicking?
Just use the party list. Tank busters are 100% predictable and you'll eventually learn the timing on them allowing you to precast a heal.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm leveling WHM after playing SCH forever and I think that the scholar's most used heals being instant has ruined me. My timings are all off as a result.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
p sure there's a button to focus on whatever your current target is targeting, which in most cases is going to swap you from main tank to boss and vice versa.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Cool, that all makes sense.

I've never healed in an MMO before so I keep expecting that I'm doing something terribly wrong and all my party members are secretly judging me - good to know I'm not missing out on too many dark healer secrets.

Also, yesterday I learned a fun thing, that being that upgrading your weapon is v important even for a healer. Tried healing Dusk Vigil with ilvl 90ish gear, but with a 47 book. That tank was not thrilled with me (although they were chill and took the rest of the dungeon v easy)

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Your weapon is the most important item to upgrade for every role. For healers, weapon damage also translates to the amount of healing they do.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Brainamp posted:

Your weapon is the most important item to upgrade for every role. For healers, weapon damage also translates to the amount of healing they do.

tell that to the healer i had in the vault when i pointed out that the DRG's i90 mh was less than ideal and that the mh is the most important slot

"I disagree"

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The reason weapon damage is so impactful is because it, along with your job modifier (an invisible damage/healing multiplier), form the number all of your other stats like attack power and determination multiply off of. It's the single biggest determinant of your output, and you should always prioritize keeping it up-to-date.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
Did they change the crystal tower 24man unlock quests yet or is that still an upcoming thing?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Inflammatory posted:

p sure there's a button to focus on whatever your current target is targeting, which in most cases is going to swap you from main tank to boss and vice versa.

By default this button is T, and it's super duper useful. I use it for apocatastasis!

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

Did they change the crystal tower 24man unlock quests yet or is that still an upcoming thing?

They're still bad.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Orthodox Rabbit posted:

iirc they're doing something with that SoonTM.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Reminds me of when they started talking about fixing CM and Prae so new players could enjoy the story. There was a lot of good speculation of what that would be, like making it a single player duty or using squadron troops. But then they just disabled cutscene skipping and called it a day.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
This is a bit of a weird question, but does anyone remember how dungeons played at launch? A lot has changed over the period of this game and some things I take for granted now are things I can't believe didn't exist in the first place (like AOE markers). Also, when I started this game it was my first time actually getting into dungeons proper in an MMO: tanking, healing, all that jazz.

Nowadays, most dungeons are pretty simple: tank gathers up all the enemies and the dps AOEs them to death. While you'd think that this type of strategy would only work because everyone is wearing powerful armor that stays powerful when item synced, it still seems to work just fine with even gray gear.

Back in the day I remember it being a bit more complicated: I remember people doing small pulls, sleeping/mezzing enemies, using potions and so on. Was this because it was necessary (as in, did enemies used to hit harder or aggro differently) or was this just people being unfamiliar and experimenting/carrying over tactics from older mmos like EQ?

Basically, I'm wondering how much the game changed versus how the people changed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

FutureCop posted:

This is a bit of a weird question, but does anyone remember how dungeons played at launch? A lot has changed over the period of this game and some things I take for granted now are things I can't believe didn't exist in the first place (like AOE markers). Also, when I started this game it was my first time actually getting into dungeons proper in an MMO: tanking, healing, all that jazz.

Nowadays, most dungeons are pretty simple: tank gathers up all the enemies and the dps AOEs them to death. While you'd think that this type of strategy would only work because everyone is wearing powerful armor that stays powerful when item synced, it still seems to work just fine with even gray gear.

Back in the day I remember it being a bit more complicated: I remember people doing small pulls, sleeping/mezzing enemies, using potions and so on. Was this because it was necessary (as in, did enemies used to hit harder or aggro differently) or was this just people being unfamiliar and experimenting/carrying over tactics from older mmos like EQ?

Basically, I'm wondering how much the game changed versus how the people changed.

By launch I assume you mean 1.0 since I'm 90% sure 2.0 had aoe markers. I was not a player of 1.0 (I avoided it due to the bad press) but 2.0 was wild. I vividly remember Amdapor Keep at launch as a tank: single group pulls were a requirement since enemies took forever to kill and hit like trucks. We used kill orders and the BLM if we had one would sleep enemies low on that list and people avoided aoe as to not wake them. Not to mention that the durability loss from dying was a big deal since gil was very hard to come by at that time. Titan HM was the hardest content a casual player would probably do. It required Savage level coordination since even a single mistake was often punished with a wipe.

I actually quit the game because of Titan HM and didn't come back until HW.