Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
unhinged pokemon fan compares the loss of random battles to horrific working conditions in amazon warehouses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

The Bee posted:

Honestly, if this leads to the mainline games no longer being tutorial hell and actually getting to have a difficulty curve again, I will gladly accept Let's Go being dialed back a bit. It's going to suck if it means Pokemon's options are Easy and Easier, though.

Please do not taunt me with the hope that this split may finally return the mainline series to the glorious days when every playthrough didn't start with about two hours of forced tutorials about things I've known for 20 years.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The Bee posted:

Honestly, if this leads to the mainline games no longer being tutorial hell and actually getting to have a difficulty curve again, I will gladly accept Let's Go being dialed back a bit. It's going to suck if it means Pokemon's options are Easy and Easier, though.

it definitelly will not mean the first thing

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Siets posted:

This is absolutely lovely. I’m always for disability access in anything. Luckily, I think there’s a catching mechanic mode change in Let’s Go where you have to time certain button presses rather than do the full throwing motion. I believe it activates when in the mobile console mode.

The reason I “demonize” the original random battles mechanic is because at some point you have to make sacrifices as a designer to shape things in new ways. For me, the dream Pokemon game has always been “take Zelda Breath of the Wild, reskin it with Pokemon, and incorporate both battling and motion sensing throwing mechanics to catch wild mons and duel other trainers.” I see this game as, at long last, baby steps in that direction in what has otherwise been a franchise that hasn’t really budged in decades. We’ve got mons that are finally visible in the overworld, and I get to throw a pretend pokeball ala Ash Ketchum, and I still get a full battle system to duel trainers and gym leaders with. I’m a happy camper for now and definitely looking forward to future titles.

Eagerly awaiting the next faux Amazon employee post I guess.

And we're back to the "Pokemon should be open world" discussions.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Hopefully Pokemon Go! will finally buff the Grass type.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Not using real-time 1v1 Pokkén-style combat in Mystery Dungeon-style settings for future mainline games is regressive.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I hope these new moves stick around for Pikachu and especially Eevee for later games.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I wouldn't mind if instead of random encounters the next real game had the pokemon appear on the world map - as long as you still get to fight and catch them the old way afterwards.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Countblanc posted:

Hopefully Pokemon Go! will finally buff the Grass type.

Make it resist Fairy since fairies are nature guardians so they hold back against Grass-types

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

unhinged pokemon fan compares the loss of random battles to horrific working conditions in amazon warehouses

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Straight White Shark posted:

lol that Let's Go has broken people's brains badly enough that they're defending random encounters

Battling and capturing Pokemon is kind of a core mechanic of the series

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I just have permanent repel on unless actively trying to catch stuff anyway.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Momomo posted:

good news, both of these things are in Let's Go

things that are not in Let's Go: 800000 fights against a lone zubat or geodude

reasons why this is a bad thing: ????????

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Momomo posted:

Capturing is great!

But there's a good reason there's never been an episode of the anime dedicated to Ash having Pikachu murder Zubats for twenty-three minutes followed by a next episode preview showing him getting ready to do the exact same thing with Charmander.

Grinding levels is not a fun, interesting, or necessary mechanic. Levels have never done anything but increase time wasted grinding in order to make future trainer battles easier. The best modern quality of life change is the new EXP Share because it means a whole let less of that BS.

I'm sure there's some people out there who like doing low level runs or something, but I am perfectly willing to sacrifice their preferred method of enjoyment for something actually fun like better trainer AI or puzzle battles like PokeStar Studios.

EDIT: beat, and succintly

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Your eevee cannot evolve

every time I say it it sounds stupider

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Not sure why people dislike the capture mechanic for Let's Go as in previous Pokémon games, all you had to do is scroll through a menu select screen, pick the ball you want and watch an animation that's based on luck. Go's capturing mechanic makes the process more involved.

In a sense, its a bit like the Mario RPG/Paper Mario/Mario and Luigi games where they have action commands that make Mario and friends do more damage.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Capturing is great!

But there's a good reason there's never been an episode of the anime dedicated to Ash having Pikachu murder Zubats for twenty-three minutes followed by a next episode preview showing him getting ready to do the exact same thing with Charmander.

Grinding levels is not a fun, interesting, or necessary mechanic. Levels have never done anything but increase time wasted grinding in order to make future trainer battles easier. The best modern quality of life change is the new EXP Share because it means a whole let less of that BS.

I'm sure there's some people out there who like doing low level runs or something, but I am perfectly willing to sacrifice their preferred method of enjoyment for something actually fun like better trainer AI or puzzle battles like PokeStar Studios.

EDIT: beat, and succintly

I still don’t believe that people who grind wild pokémon for exp actually exist. It’s weird that people keep talking about it as if it’s a thing.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I must be behind the times because I remember seeing all you did was throw the ball when you found the Pokemon. As in, you don't even weaken it through battle. If that's still in and all they did was change the literal throwing of the ball then doesn't really matter, other than the disability thing.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Zuzie posted:

Not sure why people dislike the capture mechanic for Let's Go as in previous Pokémon games, all you had to do is scroll through a menu select screen, pick the ball you want and watch an animation that's based on luck. Go's capturing mechanic makes the process more involved.

I dislike motion/reflex based stuff in non-action rpgs on principle - but also proper pokemon games have you actually fight and weaken the pokemon with your own before you toss a ball at it.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

I've been kinda checked out WRT Let's Go, but my wife saw the special edition Switch yesterday and earmarked it for the family's Christmas present to ourselves. We both play Pokemon Go, has anyone's Uncle at Nintendo said if we need a second copy of Let's Go? Or are multiple save slots/phone pairings announced?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

Avalerion posted:

I dislike motion/reflex based stuff in non-action rpgs on principle - but also proper pokemon games have you actually fight and weaken the pokemon with your own before you toss a ball at it.

Safari Zones were a thing until Gen 5. Although they were eventually removed because people found them to be an exercise in frustration.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Nth Doctor posted:

I've been kinda checked out WRT Let's Go, but my wife saw the special edition Switch yesterday and earmarked it for the family's Christmas present to ourselves. We both play Pokemon Go, has anyone's Uncle at Nintendo said if we need a second copy of Let's Go? Or are multiple save slots/phone pairings announced?

It has both multiple save files and straight up co-op.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I don't think it actually has multiple save files baked in, but you can just do the thing where each Switch profile counts as a different player of the game and has their own save file that way. I could be wrong and it's actually convenient though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Grinding levels is not a fun, interesting, or necessary mechanic.

Good thing you don't need to do this to beat any Pokemon game.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I don't really see how "battling Pokemon to capture them" turns into "fighting 8000 Zubats for experience" because it's not like you need to do one to do the other.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Good thing you don't need to do this to beat any Pokemon game.

You kind of did way back in gold/silver times, those has a notoriously bad xp curve that didn’t even get fixed in the remakes. The recent ones are more likely to leave you overleveled if anything

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Let's Go still looks rad as heck to me

Other things rad as heck that I am just discovering, the fuckin' Ditto Five quest in Ultra Moon.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Avalerion posted:

You kind of did way back in gold/silver times, those has a notoriously bad xp curve that didn’t even get fixed in the remakes. The recent ones are more likely to leave you overleveled if anything

I mean, you still didn't to need to in order beat the game.

I'd say that Red's the only bad level jump, and he's strictly optional post-game content.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You can beat the Johto E4 with a team of middling, late-30s pokémon. You could probably make it through fairly easy with a team of freshly caught Victory Route wild pokémon and a decent bag of potions and revives.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Zuzie posted:

Safari Zones were a thing until Gen 5. Although they were eventually removed because people found them to be an exercise in frustration.

Safari Zones' schtick of "catch pokemon by throwing rocks at them instead of using your own pokemon" was bad and stupid. I like it in ORAS where it's just a park area with some exclusive mons.
Also if they replaced random invisible Pokemon encounters with visible ones that appeared as shaky grass/dust cloud/bubbling water/bird shadow I could get behind that as long as one was on screen at all times so that it wasn't a chore to find wild mons when you want to, and easy enough to avoid them when you don't (except for like the dust clouds that chase you in S/M, gotta throw in some aggressive wild mons that are hard to avoid) I could 100% get behind that.

Also I don't think I ever mentioned this before but I just did a playthrough of BW2 where my team was the three lovely monkeys plus Garbodor and Emolga. Didn't need to grind beyond fighting every trainer and knocking out Audinos for a while when one of my guys was falling behind the others, or i wanted to get a certain level-up move before proceeding against a gym leader.
Currently I'm playing AS with Zangoose/Seviper/Claydol/Breloom + a rotating cast of HM-abled mons because of how heavy this game is with various boulder and water obstacles. gently caress the Kyogre fight; I ended up resetting til he got in a Quick Ball.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

If only the previous pokemon games had an easy way to ignore random encounters altogether...

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Avalerion posted:

You don't need to grind in any Pokemon game, so long as you just beat most of the trainers and field six cool Pokemon. Even in Gen 2, the opposing Pokemon had such bad movesets and awful AI that you can beat them pretty easily, though you'll need a few items and super effective moves. I beat Red with a full team of level 50s, since you barely get any levels in Kanto due to how empty it is. You can get very easily overlevelled in any Pokemon game due to the sheer amount of weak trainers everywhere. And if you're getting overlevelled in Gens 6+, you can just turn off the Exp Share.

Also catching legendaries and finding rare Pokemon in the grass are two of the worst aspects of the franchise (third versions is the worst, obviously), so it's cool they're at least trying to change things up, even if none of it will probably be in the next game.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

The scent of mold lingers in the cold basement air, as the goon pokemon fanatic furiously mashes B through the random battle text on his handheld's screen. The Rattata goes down only for yet another to appear in the desperate search for one of those luscious 15% Abra spawns. At least the text speed was set to Fast. Licking the cheeto dust from his fingers, he mutters incoherently to himself "I'm gonna be the very best..." before clicking the thumbs down on yet another Let's Go YouTube video.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Siets posted:

The scent of mold lingers in the cold basement air, as the goon pokemon fanatic furiously mashes B through the random battle text on his handheld's screen. The Rattata goes down only for yet another to appear in the desperate search for one of those luscious 15% Abra spawns. At least the text speed was set to Fast. Licking the cheeto dust from his fingers, he mutters incoherently to himself "I'm gonna be the very best..." before clicking the thumbs down on yet another Let's Go YouTube video.

very normal post

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Siets posted:

:whitewater:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Siets posted:

Haha, yeah, I also think pokemon are pretty cool......

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Siets posted:

lmao

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Yay, Eevee has elemental moves that it will never get STAB for

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Siets posted:

I dunno what's worse, this post or your other one saying Kanto is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
Tired: I can't wait to put fun hats on my Pikachu :)
Wired: I'm going to box my Pikachu immediately.