Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Are there any effortposts here about the many Carcassonne expansions? I’ve been playing the base game for ages and only recently became aware there were expansions at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Not an expansion, but I think Hunters and Gatherers is my favourite version.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Morpheus posted:

Worst redesign ever. Utter trash. 0/10.

DEAL WITH IT :slick:

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Too Shy Guy posted:

Are there any effortposts here about the many Carcassonne expansions? I’ve been playing the base game for ages and only recently became aware there were expansions at all.

There's a reasonable degree of consensus that most expansions are poo poo, but some are good, and you want Traders & Builders, and Inns & Cathedrals specifically.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Merauder posted:

DEAL WITH IT :slick:

Just throw the words around the box like alphabet cereal. Let people figure out its name from that.

"I'm pretty sure it's called MU PLACE"
"gently caress that it's certainly PLEUC UM, definitely latin."

And then there's like, another C but it's sorta ghosty so is that included in the name or a printing error who knows

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Icago/Express.

iChicago/Express, the Apple re-design with one single type of action and one company.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Had a game night last night, got to play Castles of Mad King Ludwig, and Can't Stop, which I've decided I really like with two or even three, but 4 is too crowded. A friend brought Unstable Unicorns, which is like Exploding Kittens or Bears vs Babies but slightly better. Put another way, it's like Guillotine but way worse. We utterly failed to apprehend Mr. X in Scotland Yard, and had a couple rounds of Sticheln, which I'm convinced is the best trick-taking game.

While I was playing these, the table in the other room had a game of Concordia going on. I understand that two of the players were new to the game, but even so, HOW THE gently caress DO YOU MAKE CONCORDIA TAKE THREE HOURS?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

El Fideo posted:

Had a game night last night, got to play Castles of Mad King Ludwig, and Can't Stop, which I've decided I really like with two or even three, but 4 is too crowded. A friend brought Unstable Unicorns, which is like Exploding Kittens or Bears vs Babies but slightly better. Put another way, it's like Guillotine but way worse. We utterly failed to apprehend Mr. X in Scotland Yard, and had a couple rounds of Sticheln, which I'm convinced is the best trick-taking game.

While I was playing these, the table in the other room had a game of Concordia going on. I understand that two of the players were new to the game, but even so, HOW THE gently caress DO YOU MAKE CONCORDIA TAKE THREE HOURS?

If Concordia takes three hours, then people playing it are bad because you should aggressively be going for those cards or building poo poo. Everyone must've just been trading or something. One of the problems with player-driven end-states, I suppose.

Unstable Unicorns, ugh. A friend of mine got that for some gift or something, and I worry about the day that he brings it to a get-together.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

El Fideo posted:

HOW THE gently caress DO YOU MAKE CONCORDIA TAKE THREE HOURS?

Someone was telling me me how their group usually gets through Century: Golem in around an hour and a half, now that they had the strategy down and were valuing the cards correctly. I played with them, and won uncontested in ~20 minutes, because instead of durdling around building up a 15 card hand I bought stuff. I was doing the base "Big Money" strategy, while they were doing "4 Villages, 1 terminal" nonsense. It made sense to them, because I think in their games the guy getting 15 cards was beating the guys with 12 cards - but the right answer is more like 5 cards.

When you get these extreme cases, it's usually not just AP; people get stuck in these weird metagame loops where they're so busy "doing things" they forget what they're trying to do.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Merauder posted:

Ethnos is solid, you crazy.

In other news, Eggertspiele has officially announced their new version of Camel Up with a graphic overhaul, new components (the pyramid is plastic now), and thanks to it we can finally tell all you 'Cup' believers to gtfo :colbert:

That actually is a bad redesign. The more durable pyramid is fine - I lost one of the bands on mine the second play, although none since - but if that's the actual board then I don't know how you could add Supercup to it without making a new board. And of course, all this jacks up the price.

I would be interested to try the Rogue camels module, so I hope they release that separately for 1st edition.

dropkickpikachu
Dec 20, 2003

Ash: You sell rocks?
Flint: Pewter City souveneirs, you want to buy some?
I'm so irrationally angry about Camel Up

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

jmzero posted:

Someone was telling me me how their group usually gets through Century: Golem in around an hour and a half, now that they had the strategy down and were valuing the cards correctly. I played with them, and won uncontested in ~20 minutes, because instead of durdling around building up a 15 card hand I bought stuff. I was doing the base "Big Money" strategy, while they were doing "4 Villages, 1 terminal" nonsense. It made sense to them, because I think in their games the guy getting 15 cards was beating the guys with 12 cards - but the right answer is more like 5 cards.

When you get these extreme cases, it's usually not just AP; people get stuck in these weird metagame loops where they're so busy "doing things" they forget what they're trying to do.

This is very insightful! This can go the other way too, where a game that can have a lot of depth gets played like a filler game. For instance, I've been in groups that play Modern Art very quickly.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

dropkickpikachu posted:

I'm so irrationally angry about Camel Up
Yeah this is trash

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

Merauder posted:

Ethnos is solid, you crazy.

In other news, Eggertspiele has officially announced their new version of Camel Up with a graphic overhaul, new components (the pyramid is plastic now), and thanks to it we can finally tell all you 'Cup' believers to gtfo :colbert:

VINDICATION! TAKE THAT, MOM!

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

In those new Camel Up pics, the camels look plastic. I can see seams on the edges. I thought they were wood in the original version? I only played it once, so I'm not sure.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.

Ravendas posted:

In those new Camel Up pics, the camels look plastic. I can see seams on the edges. I thought they were wood in the original version? I only played it once, so I'm not sure.

They are indeed wood and the new version seems to lack the slightly stereotypical caricatures so of course I cannot play the new version

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Jedit posted:

That actually is a bad redesign. The more durable pyramid is fine - I lost one of the bands on mine the second play, although none since - but if that's the actual board then I don't know how you could add Supercup to it without making a new board. And of course, all this jacks up the price.

I would be interested to try the Rogue camels module, so I hope they release that separately for 1st edition.

The MSRP actually looks unchanged from $39.99.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I thought it was Camel Cup?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Rutibex posted:

I thought it was Camel Cup?
You see that, 'Cup' supporters? You've been on Rutibex's team this whole time. Let thank sink in.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Mayveena posted:

I have Import/Export but the rules are so obtuse to me I haven't gotten it to the table. It's also a Glory to Rome fork.

It's a bit tricky to work out, I grant you. But in the end, I found it easier to "get" than Mottanai, perhaps because the theme makes some sense and the rules hang on that theme in a logical way. (An undersold aspect of themes is how they can pull a set of rules together.)

While I was playing it, several people happened by who commented something like "eh, I prefer Mottanai which does all of this in half the time". To which I replied, "yes, but I can understand Import/Export".

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

deadwing posted:

The MSRP actually looks unchanged from $39.99.

Excellent, that means we can rant about how we were gouged for the original!

E: just took a look at the preview. Apparently Camel Up 2 is more expensive (by €5) and also drops the maximum player count to six, reducing its value as a social party game. It does, however, finally remove any ambiguity in the name by altering the logo.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Sep 12, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Obviously this would vary from store to store, but is there any kind of unspoken rule with friendly local game stores that you shouldn't show up if all you're going to do is bring in a board game and play it there with some friends? Like, is that considered an okay thing to do or is it like the board game equivalent of people that go into a store and ask for a sample of everything and then leave or what, there's a really nice kinda-local game shop and another definitely-local-but-also-feels-kinda-skeezy game shop we could head to and both have a decent amount of space but it feels like if all we're doing is showing up with no intent to purchase anything, that maybe we shouldn't be there at all. I dunno how supportive game shops are of just letting people come in and game.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

FirstAidKite posted:

Obviously this would vary from store to store, but is there any kind of unspoken rule with friendly local game stores that you shouldn't show up if all you're going to do is bring in a board game and play it there with some friends? Like, is that considered an okay thing to do or is it like the board game equivalent of people that go into a store and ask for a sample of everything and then leave or what, there's a really nice kinda-local game shop and another definitely-local-but-also-feels-kinda-skeezy game shop we could head to and both have a decent amount of space but it feels like if all we're doing is showing up with no intent to purchase anything, that maybe we shouldn't be there at all. I dunno how supportive game shops are of just letting people come in and game.

I don't know how things are where you live, but in Scotland nearly all shops that have tables will allow you to bring your own games if you pay a table fee.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

FirstAidKite posted:

Stores in Australia are happy for you to BYO games, and don't generally have table fees. We try to pay it back by buying snacks and drinks there, as well as make the odd purchase (though my local's range is kinda blah).

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Too Shy Guy posted:

Inns & Cathedrals is pretty much a must include. Traders & Builders is pretty good.

Avoid the Catapult, its gimmick is terrible.

Add a maximum of one alternate map start. The River is pretty good (and iirc comes with the base game now anyway). The Count spreads things out a lot but the actual rules it comes with are a little janky so maybe just use it for the starting piece.

Add other expansions to taste, but it's best not to go crazy as they end up diluting things too much (most expansions rely on additional map tiles with specific symbols on them to trigger the rules, with a lot of expansions they thin out too much).

There are a ton of mini expansions, some of these don't add new map tiles like the Phantom and the Messengers so can be added on top of any set of tiles.

Don't add the King and Robber if you're playing with more than one 'big' expansion as they become incredibly swingy. The tiles from this mini expansion are fun and unusual though.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

million dollar mack posted:

They are indeed wood and the new version seems to lack the slightly stereotypical caricatures so of course I cannot play the new version

If it doesn't have Nigel Thornberry then toss it in the trash.

FirstAidKite posted:

I've never been to a store with open tables that didn't expect people to wander in and play without purchasing anything. I've never been to a store with table fees, mainly because I live in the burbs where space is plentiful, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at paying a couple of bucks for a place to sit in peace. Any game store that's hostile to gamers for whatever reason is not a store I would continue going to. If you're confused then just ask the nearest employee if it's okay to sit and play. If you're too shy to ask then see if they have a shelf full of opened boxes because a lot of stores have their own little library for this reason.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Just had a surprise - Commands and Colours: Ancients just released digitally on Steam. 30% off until the 19th.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

al-azad posted:

I've never been to a store with open tables that didn't expect people to wander in and play without purchasing anything. I've never been to a store with table fees, mainly because I live in the burbs where space is plentiful, but I wouldn't turn my nose up at paying a couple of bucks for a place to sit in peace. Any game store that's hostile to gamers for whatever reason is not a store I would continue going to. If you're confused then just ask the nearest employee if it's okay to sit and play. If you're too shy to ask then see if they have a shelf full of opened boxes because a lot of stores have their own little library for this reason.

The only store I've ever been to that had table fees was a really awful one that had quite a lot of space but was perpetually empty. Gee, i wonder if those facts are correlated.

That said at the inner-city stores you'll pretty much have to plan your timing around the already-scheduled trading card game events, since there aren't huge amounts of tables to go around and the scheduled stuff takes priority.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I gladly pay table fees regularly.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
I'd rather pay table fees and be able to play in peace (terrain included if we're talking miniature wargames) than play for free while getting guilt-tripped into buying poo poo I don't want to support the store.

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

In Taipei, Taiwan, there are chains of boardgame stores that charge like $1.33us per person per hour there. I think it can all be used as store credit if you're also buying a game there that day. They're also really popular, with the places getting filled up most nights, at least when I was there last a few years ago.

Though, that's in a big city with a culture of 'no one goes to anyones homes, ever', so they kind of need neutral locations to meet to play games. It wouldn't work so well in American suburbs.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I just walk in with my games and start playing. If they are going to charge me a fee I'm leaving, here in the LA area there are too many other places to play.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I am allergic to paying sit down fees but I can understand why people would not mind the general idea. Just drives me crazy paying to play a game I may or may not own at a location that's worse than my house and costs me about $8 a beer too.

In other news, this just crossed by inbox thanks to the Endeavor KS: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/697528475/the-artemis-project?ref=c056ds

Has anyone heard anything about it or has any thoughts?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

FulsomFrank posted:

I am allergic to paying sit down fees but I can understand why people would not mind the general idea. Just drives me crazy paying to play a game I may or may not own at a location that's worse than my house and costs me about $8 a beer too.

In other news, this just crossed by inbox thanks to the Endeavor KS: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/697528475/the-artemis-project?ref=c056ds

Has anyone heard anything about it or has any thoughts?

One of the main reasons I host games at a store is to get people interested in the games I have. On Friday the MTG and 40K players were looking over at our 1846 board going "hmm that looks even nerdier..."

Chubbs
Feb 13, 2008

In a thousand years, Gandahar was destroyed. A thousand years ago, Gandahar will be saved, and what can't be avoided will be.
Grimey Drawer
My FLGS has a $5 fee but it covers the whole day/evening and you either spend 5 on something in store or you get 5 in store credit, so I think of it more as an investment. I slowly build up my credit until I can afford a new game. It makes me feel a lot less guilty for buying most of my games online and bringing them in.

I gladly pay it because before I went there I had very few gaming friends I could meet up with on a regular basis, so it's been a great way to expand my social circle and find new folks to game with.

e: It also makes me feel better for collecting cool, obscure games that I'd never be able to play on my own or with my kids who are too young for most of them. I know I can always get them on the table at the store at some point. And it's always a great feeling to welcome new players to the table and introduce yourself to break the ice. I don't know many places where that's possible other than a game store.

VVV That just seems like bad business to me. Wringing your customers dry won't earn their loyalty.

Chubbs fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 12, 2018

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Chubbs posted:

My FLGS has a $5 fee but it covers the whole day/evening and you either spend 5 on something in store or you get 5 in store credit, so I think of it more as an investment. I slowly build up my credit until I can afford a new game. It makes me feel a lot less guilty for buying most of my games online and bringing them in.

I gladly pay it because before I went there I had very few gaming friends I could meet up with on a regular basis, so it's been a great way to expand my social circle and find new folks to game with.

See, that'd be tolerable but the place near us has this thing where your fee is converted to a credit... that's only good at that exact moment you're there. And you can't combine them. So, if you had a table of four, the five bucks would have to be distributed person to person on a game purchase. AND their games are already overpriced... to account for the "discount".

This is on top of the fact that the food stinks and I hate paying for overpriced liquor in an overlit, semi-uncomfortable environment. I fully recognise I am a cheap prick though and perhaps the BG cafe is (mostly) not for me.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I'm very happy with my new FLGS in Seattle, Cafe Mox. They wisely make their money from serving good beer and passable food, with a decent free library available and no qualms with people bringing their own games. I plan to go to them first for future purchases.

Speaking of which, they had a table full of Founders of Gloomhaven for sale. Seems like that has barely been discussed here--was it a disappointment or is it still too new for a consensus to form?

PS - Finally had a non-teaching 4-player game of Brass:Brum. Still took about 3 hours. I lost because this lucky bastard got the perfect card draw to drop 2 potteries in 1 turn just before I was set to grab them. He hadn't built or developed any previously, so he completely blindsided me.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

CaptainRightful posted:

I
Speaking of which, they had a table full of Founders of Gloomhaven for sale. Seems like that has barely been discussed here--was it a disappointment or is it still too new for a consensus to form?

The consensus seems to be that there's something good at the heart of it but it feels like a prototype that needed a few more spins.

Maybe Mr Gloomhaven will make a version 2 that uses a hex grid and finds a way to share point trickle down information more clearly

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

CaptainRightful posted:

I'm very happy with my new FLGS in Seattle, Cafe Mox. They wisely make their money from serving good beer and passable food, with a decent free library available and no qualms with people bringing their own games. I plan to go to them first for future purchases.

PS - Finally had a non-teaching 4-player game of Brass:Brum. Still took about 3 hours. I lost because this lucky bastard got the perfect card draw to drop 2 potteries in 1 turn just before I was set to grab them. He hadn't built or developed any previously, so he completely blindsided me.

Welcome to Seattle! The Card Kingdom/Mox Boarding House people have been working hard to make the Ballard and Bellevue locations really great places to hang out and game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

Mojo Jojo posted:

The consensus seems to be that there's something good at the heart of it but it feels like a prototype that needed a few more spins.

Maybe Mr Gloomhaven will make a version 2 that uses a hex grid and finds a way to share point trickle down information more clearly

He was saying that he originally used hexes, but 6 point connections were too tight, so he needed squares for 8 point connections.

It arriving on the same day as Root though kind of killed it for me. My gaming time is limited, as is my friends patience in learning new games, so Root it is.