Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Foehammer007 posted:

RIP Vile Rat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

Have grown to quite like this game, though have not seen much point in joining more fleets for now.

Focused on exploration instead until I get enough skill points to fly a more relevant ship (joining in a T1 seems like a waste of everyones time).

Exploration has so far netted about 200M over roughly 10 hours spent on it from scratch.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Lol

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

yogizh posted:

Why do people recommend joining Karmafleet ITT ? Just join the superposting behemoth which is Goonwaffe.

Because unless shits changed since I quit our member corps generally get better benefits than Goonwaffe.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Kimsemus posted:

I mostly just pirate in low now because I'm blacklisted literally everywhere to be fair.

Fishing is serious business :colbert:

Real Nito
Apr 3, 2010

Kimsemus posted:

the last time i lead a goon guild was archeage

Someone has to lead the horse to the water and make it drink. I enjoyed Archeage until things got weird.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

lovely tuna snatch posted:

Have grown to quite like this game, though have not seen much point in joining more fleets for now.

Focused on exploration instead until I get enough skill points to fly a more relevant ship (joining in a T1 seems like a waste of everyones time).

Exploration has so far netted about 200M over roughly 10 hours spent on it from scratch.

Its not a waste of time. Your t1 frigate might seem useless, but it isnt. You can tackle, scout ahead, provide warp-ins, etc etc

Dont stop yourself from joining fleets and having fun because you think you have the wrong ship.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Real Nito posted:

Someone has to lead the horse to the water and make it drink. I enjoyed Archeage until things got weird.

No luck in getting off the blacklist yet?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Can we go to war with someone who actually wants to participate in "content"

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Pomp posted:

Can we go to war with someone who actually wants to participate in "content"

Lets be honest. We'll never go to war again. We'll be part of slaughters, nut itvwont be proper wars. We mined our way to victory.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

A bunch of goons will money shower newer players for scouting or tackling. They're important jobs that aren't particularly difficult but it can sometimes be difficult to get people to step up to them in my experience

Real Nito
Apr 3, 2010

Dalael posted:

Nah. Name was on the blacklist and the reason was lost. Got tired of feeling the pull to play so I biomassed my characters. Best choice I've made in EVE. I enjoy checking the threads and seeing that the game hasn't changed too much.

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
Most Eve based corp CEOs do one very stupid thing. They don't trust other people with their corp keys. Many times people just disappear for some time because of real life reasons or whatever and the corp remains just a bunch of dudes with gently caress all to do about taxes, content, recruitment and all that. Yes you can be a corp recruiter, but I am going to blueball all the candidates due to my chillout month in Antarctica. Alliance taxes unpaid, API on fire, 0 participation.

If someone really cares about running a corporation and making it in nullsec, that someone needs to create honest environment, put people before assets in the hangars. Ok you might loose x billion of pixels and a corp, but you can reform the corp instantly, because the people like your posting and the group is above a tag in a space game or zkill stats. I think that a large portion of Goonwaffe in 2018 does it because Imperium is pretty awesome achievement in the whole damned MMO thing, real life friendships (America is too far, can't yacht with The Mittani) and not because of the "pimping my titan" thing. They already have those anyway.

When I first read about the role of corporation leader on the old Eve page, that was what I have imagined if I could do it. Trust is required even if it sometimes kicks you in the balls.

yogizh
Oct 12, 2015
Dumb Helicopter Joke Enthusiast
Post slower so my posts are not out of context two pages away. tia

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dalael posted:

Its not a waste of time. Your t1 frigate might seem useless, but it isnt. You can tackle, scout ahead, provide warp-ins, etc etc

Dont stop yourself from joining fleets and having fun because you think you have the wrong ship.

To expand on this a little bit, I'll tell you from personal experience I played in goonfleet for a couple years without ever flying anything more than a Rifter. Only after I got it in my head I wanted to be an FC did I start actually flying bigger ships. Back then, we gave out Rifters for free; I think Slashers are the thing nowadays. Being in something small and fast is a lot of fun. You don't care if you die, because you're in something that's literally free. And unless you're actually doing your job as a suicidal tackler, no one is even trying to kill you when you're on a battle grid in a t1 frigate. Being zippy and all over the place gives you some great visuals if you care about that sort of thing, and if some real life emergency comes up, or you just get bored with the fleet, being in something small and cheap also means you don't have to listen to the self-important man drunkenly slurring orders at you: just peel off and either burn home, or drop fleet, park in a safe spot, log off, and burn home later. Plenty of folks exclusively fly Interceptors, the t2 tackle frigates, specifically so they can be selfish assholes and do exactly this with a somewhat better chance of making it home blind (interceptors are immune to bubbles). If you want to actually feel useful, then being the first point on someone in a gate camp or in a fleet is tremendously beneficial since bigger, more specialized tackle ships (like a point proteus) take longer to lock targets; your tackle might be the reason your gang gets a kill, versus watching the enemy just warp away. And while you're not quite as good as an Interceptor at burning perches and providing warp-ins, you're still infinitely better at it in a t1 frigate than anything else besides an interceptor so you can still be useful at doing tactical big picture stuff. And if you get blown up, who cares? We hand out frigates literally for free, and even if we didn't they cost pennies compared to the price of line ships.

Christopher
May 29, 2006
This may be kind of a weird question but bear with me.

Has anyone who currently plays the game or has previously played it and enjoyed it for an extended period of time done so after trying the game for only a few days and quitting on more than one occassion?

Three or four times now I have downloaded and played EVE for a few days and quit. There's something about it that make me feel like I can enjoy it but it has yet to grip me when I've allowed it the opportunity to. I've come to the point where I assume that if I've tried it a few times already and didn't like it I will likely not enjoy it at any point. Yet I still visit the thread and check out news from the game every now and again.

Has anyone tried the game this way in the past and eventually come to love it? Thanks in advance for answering my eccentric question.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Real Nito posted:

Nah. Name was on the blacklist and the reason was lost. Got tired of feeling the pull to play so I biomassed my characters. Best choice I've made in EVE. I enjoy checking the threads and seeing that the game hasn't changed too much.

drat.. so its too late to ask for your stuff, isnt it?

Real Nito
Apr 3, 2010

Dalael posted:

A Goon pilot used to bring a Megathron to every single fleet. I'm pretty sure I led a frigate roam where he came along too. Just join in the fleets if you have the time, and don't worry about being relevant and have fun.

T1 Frigates/Destroyers are great tackle ships, and you get to do what everyone else in the fleet can't do: Make Mistakes. FC's are more than happy to use you as scouts or try silly stuff with you (at least several years ago they were, now days I can't imagine it's too different). But even if you fly with the main blob, you have a very important role of holding down anything that is your size if it closes in on the fleet.

You may be just a lowly rifter that costs maybe 2-5mil, but you can hold down a Interdictor which is of tremendous strategic value and worth a lot more than you are. Fleets have been saved and destroyed cause of new pilots getting scram + web on ships. If you feel outclassed still, just spend the time to move towards a T2 small ship that feels right and fly that all the time.

Real Nito
Apr 3, 2010

Dalael posted:

drat.. so its too late to ask for your stuff, isnt it?

Oh yeah, my characters are mulched. Gave my isk to someone in local who convo'd me when I logged in make an anchored container with the corpses.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Real Nito posted:

A Goon pilot used to bring a Megathron to every single fleet. I'm pretty sure I led a frigate roam where he came along too. Just join in the fleets if you have the time, and don't worry about being relevant and have fun.

I'm willing to bet Quern's left nut that this player was Baltec

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Dalael posted:

I'm willing to bet Quern's left nut that this player was Baltec

this is a dumb bet considering i fuckin told that exact story not 2 goddamn pages ago

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

The name "baltec fleet" comes from baltec1, a guy who used to bring a megathron on every fleet, regardless of whether it was appropriate or not. We still call it that even though the actual dude baltec1 joined the half of Bat Country that ended up leaving for Pandemic Legion.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Besides, Querns only has a right nut.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
space emperor querns can i be let back in?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

this is a dumb bet considering i fuckin told that exact story not 2 goddamn pages ago

You have nothing to worry about then

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
2 pages ago might as well be a previous thread, this is 2018 bitch

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Pomp posted:

2 pages ago might as well be a previous thread, this is 2018 bitch

Yeah, I don't have that kind of attention sp Hey look a rifter just flew by!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

voodoospork posted:

If being active to get in is against the rules, I'm probably already hosed anyway because I've never been a really active poster. I don't see the point in pretending anyone is an idiot. If we could go out by our pirate lonesome and be successful, I would not be looking to gang up. I'm willing to be more active so as not to be the only chumps not ganging up. I feel like a goon because I have benefited time and again from goon knowledge. That's all I'm trying to do now. If that's in the form of information in the thread that I can use to do better in a video game, great. If it means I get to join in on antics that live in PVP infamy, that would be pretty stellar too.

I'll just apply to Goonwaffe and hope for the best.

well poo poo you got probed by Brown Moses, that's forums cred

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dalael posted:

Lets be honest. We'll never go to war again. We'll be part of slaughters, nut itvwont be proper wars. We mined our way to victory.

There could be a civil war :ohdear:

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

yogizh posted:

In that case there was never a better time to introduce free Phoenix program.

Well they were handing out free Fax the other day so it might not be long now.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Dalael posted:

Pretty much what happened to me too. I took a few months hiatus and came back to a dying alliance. I wanted to remain with the CFC, had been lurking here for a while so I made the jump.

The real difference is, you were smarter than me and didn't do your first post in that Missartaq thread

Have you ever posted your introduction thread in FYAD?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

Have you ever posted your introduction thread in FYAD?

No, my first posts were embarassing enough..

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Who knows, FYAD might enjoy Bolivian Atlantis.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Dalael posted:

Someone, maybe Arkady? observed back when you were j4gging hard that today's j4g makes tomorrows bittervet calling out j4gs.

Prophetic.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

lol I remember that thread

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
We were all young poster once
I'd like to say that my posting has improved since then, but experience has determined this to be a lie :smith:

nex
Jul 23, 2001

øæå¨æøåø
Grimey Drawer

Christopher posted:

Has anyone tried the game this way in the past and eventually come to love it? Thanks in advance for answering my eccentric question.

yup.

back in 2007 i signed up to EVE via one of the recruitment threads here, never even made it into goonfleet before quitting. then i managed to join waffe in 2013 and play for 2-3 weeks (fountain war :coal: ) before finally returning in 2016 when we lived in the soda factory, been enjoying it since.

also to the guy doing exploration, you can do that in goonwaffe and get paid for logging wormhole connections. best of both worlds.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Is there a reason why I can sell some items I bought but not others, even though they're the same type of item?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

SardonicTyrant posted:

Is there a reason why I can sell some items I bought but not others, even though they're the same type of item?

Items that are assembled can't be traded on the market. An assembled item has no quantity. You can repackage most items via the right click menu if they aren't damaged. Ships, too, but doing so forfeits their rigs.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Ships, too, but doing so forfeits their rigs.

Unless its a T3 Cruiser, the best ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jestah
Dec 7, 2010

by Cyrano4747
I essentially have the same deal as that voodoo guy.

Usually I come to MMO HMO to see the mega threads and select a new MMO to be disappointed by. The flavor of the month is currently EVE. Lately I've been coming home from work, getting mad ripped, and trying to figure out what's going on in EVE. I will say though that the game merely as a spectacle is pretty cool. I had a Rifter from when I previously tried eve ages ago. In fact in figuring out my username and password I discovered that I must've tried eve like 4 times and said gently caress it. I actually went through and selected the character name that was the least juvenile. What's the best fitting I can reasonably afford? What should I be doing for money? I've just been doing the agent missions. I'll be honest guys, I haven't read much about this game other than the OP and this is what I came up with.

2 small projectile burst aerators, 3 200mm autocannon I, 1 MN Y-S8 compact Afterburner, 2 200mm steel plates , overdrive injector system I, Damage control I.

I have 1.8 mil ISK