Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Even if OP decides to fall in love with a Pokemon that needs trading to evolve, I'm sure he'd be just fine with them staying unevolved until the end. This is a moot discussion because all of them are plenty strong without going "this isn't even my final form".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
misty is always such a pain in the rear end for me that I skip her and head to bill, fight everyone in the ss anne, and finish up the 3rd gym before challenging her

she's usually still pretty tough

(I take charmander every time like god intended us to so that probably factors in to her difficulty for me)

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Simply Simon posted:

Even if OP decides to fall in love with a Pokemon that needs trading to evolve, I'm sure he'd be just fine with them staying unevolved until the end. This is a moot discussion because all of them are plenty strong without going "this isn't even my final form".
Also it's plenty possible to use a pokemon with poor stats in the main game. Any main game. I did a gimmick run last time where every pokemon on my team had to have fairy typing and I did fine with a mawile that couldn't mega-evolve for the entire main game.

...oh, your point was more specifically that anything that evolves by trade in this game is already strong before the trade evo. Uh. Yup, that's also true!

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
What if the pokemon falls in love with OP???

Oh wait this this is the wrong LP.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

PetraCore posted:

Also it's plenty possible to use a pokemon with poor stats in the main game. Any main game.

Ye-esss, but it's a lot harder in the earlier games. Especially ones where there's no good place for level grinding towards the end of the game. Later games you'll end up overlevelled without grinding at all, even if you deliberately handicap yourself, but the earlier ones weren't quite that easy. It's doable, but harder.

GirlCalledBob
Jul 17, 2013

Black Robe posted:

Ye-esss, but it's a lot harder in the earlier games. Especially ones where there's no good place for level grinding towards the end of the game. Later games you'll end up overlevelled without grinding at all, even if you deliberately handicap yourself, but the earlier ones weren't quite that easy. It's doable, but harder.

It's me, I was the idiot child who refused to evolve her starter and barely used any other pokemon all game.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Black Robe posted:

Uh, no? As I've been showing with my LPs, Pokemon games before the physical/special split are super easy since you can beat trainers 20 levels higher than you if you have good coverage, good items and braindead AI. You do not need to grind at all in these games, just beat most or all of the trainers and you'll be at a perfectly good level. It's definitely hard to use certain Pokemon, sure, but that's because it took until Gen 4 for a lot of Pokemon to actually get coverage, or in some cases actual STAB that lines up with their stats. But make no mistake, early Pokemon games are very very easy.

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship

Crosspeice posted:

Uh, no? As I've been showing with my LPs, Pokemon games before the physical/special split are super easy since you can beat trainers 20 levels higher than you if you have good coverage, good items and braindead AI. You do not need to grind at all in these games, just beat most or all of the trainers and you'll be at a perfectly good level. It's definitely hard to use certain Pokemon, sure, but that's because it took until Gen 4 for a lot of Pokemon to actually get coverage, or in some cases actual STAB that lines up with their stats. But make no mistake, early Pokemon games are very very easy.

What you're not accounting for is that maybe 10 pokemon in gen 1/2 have good coverage moves, and then it's usually at the lack of something else. And even then, usually you need to go way out of your way to search for them as they're like 1% encounters or 5% great rod fishing encounters in obscure areas. Those games are going to be awful if you don't know where to get mons that fit your team.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Namagem posted:

What you're not accounting for is that maybe 10 pokemon in gen 1/2 have good coverage moves, and then it's usually at the lack of something else. And even then, usually you need to go way out of your way to search for them as they're like 1% encounters or 5% great rod fishing encounters in obscure areas. Those games are going to be awful if you don't know where to get mons that fit your team.

You're grossly overstating this. Seyser Koze could go the rest of the game without catching a Pokemon and be more or less ok with the team as it stands. Sure, it's not optimal, but it'd work to beat the crappy AI (who suffers from similarly limited pokemon)

Namagem
Feb 14, 2011

The Magic Of Friendship
You're probably right. I'm just trying to say that the new player experience does involve a lot of grinding. Sure, you can play it without grinding if you optimize In other ways.

I guess I'm basically just saying "man, I'm awful at these games, i can't be the only one, right? "

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
The games have a weird difficulty spike right at the rear end end after you've been cruising through fighting trainers and Pokémon that were all relatively near your teams level. I feel like it probably trips up plenty of people that haven't been playing these games for 20 years their first time through. making a team with good coverage, exploiting the dumb ai, and intelligent item usage are probably all skills that first time players haven't mastered, especially considering how the game basically doesn't require their usage until you're fighting a dragonite with 10 levels on your team.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
this is a game for children.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
That doesn't mean it's not potentially difficult or even unfair. You'd be amazed what you will deal with as a child that you look at it as an adult and go "how the hell did I get through this?". Or you're willing to say 'This is ridiculous.' as you grow older.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The biggest difference, for me at least, is that my tolerence for grinding evaporated as I grew older. How I stayed interested long enough to level all my Red and Blue team mons to 100 is baffling to adult me.

And it turns out that basically every challenge in Pokemon is solvable if you grind enough, so there's one thing kids are willing to put up with more than adults.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

Bogart posted:

this is a game for children.

A game for children with poorly balanced difficulty yes

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost

A Sometimes Food posted:

OP what's the rule for discussing things that emulation means you can't do normally? There are certain pokemon that need to be traded to be evolved so they won't evolve in an emulated game unless you do something with cheating features.

Should we bring that up if you catch one?

You can bring it up if you want, but I probably just won't do anything involving trading shenanigans (since then there'd be no reason not to go back and get a Bulbasaur and Squirtle, whatever the Helix fossil gives you, etc.)

also :effort:

assuming i ever muster the willpower to finish the next update in the first place

Seyser Koze fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 8, 2018

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Just do what every true pokemon master does and do a Charizard solo run. Like a real man.

New Wave Jose
Aug 20, 2008

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Just do what every true pokemon master does and do a Charizard solo run. Like a real man.

A Charizard with flamethrower, ember, fireblast and slash

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012

New Wave Jose posted:

A Charizard with flamethrower, ember, fireblast and fire spin

Fixed that for you. You almost had something to deal with things that resist fire besides using MORE FIRE.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

New Wave Jose posted:

A Charizard with flamethrower, ember, fireblast and cut

Let's be real here.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Swap the fire moves for grass ones and that's ALMOST the Venusaur I beat the game with.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Faylone posted:

Fixed that for you. You almost had something to deal with things that resist fire besides using MORE FIRE.
In Gen 1, Fire Spin was a pretty good way to deal with anything. Back then, it (and Wrap) were pretty much guaranteed stunlocks for several turns. Now it's kind of lackluster.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

It seems like Starmie was just far to powerful for OP to beat. Rip LP :(

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
Well he did pick Charmander and this is the furthest he's ever progressed, ever

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Abra Cadaver

So, fighting Misty could've gone better. Given that her Starmie wiped the floor with our entire team without breaking a sweat yes I know most of them were below level 10 shut up, we're pretty clearly outclassed here.

From what I can see our strategy boils down to either nuking the Starmie before it can do anything or having something that can weather its attacks. We know water types are weak to thunder, but Amuro's our only option there and we saw how that worked.

Alternatively we resist the attack with either a grass type (according to the hint scammer inside the gym) or a water type. Our only grass Pokemon is Barbra from Mount Moon...

...While our only water type is pffft gently caress you flounder you resisted the attack and still got one-shot. I still want my 500 P-Bills back.

So, things are looking a little dire. Luckily we're not completely out of options; there's that bridge leading north guarded by the Straw Hat Pirates, and hopefully we'll find something useful up there that will give us an edge.

I mean, the game has to do that, right? Right? :ohdear:

First, though, I have a little unfinished business to take care of. I ran past those two martial arts dudes on my way over here, and probably more importantly, I never did catch a Clefairy in Mount Moon. We can take care of that now.

So let's just head back along Route 4 to... oh right, it had those terrace things. Not to worry, I remember going through the grass on the way over here.

So like I said, let's just head back along Route 4 to

uh

um

i can't get back

there's no way back

i jumped down and now there's no way back up

i'm trapped in cerulean city with an aggressively amorous starfish creature

Why would they do this?

I mean, I can understand why Cerulean would want to prevent people from accidentally wandering into Mt. Moon. That's not the point. Why would the game developers do this!?

Can you answer me that, Chinese martial arts guy on the wrong side of the river? No?

AAAAAAAARRRRGGGGHfsfsdfhsdjfhsdkjf

All right, fine. I guess we're not getting a Clefairy after all. :rant:

So we're going this way instead. Look sharp, rubberman, Kat's coming through.

This first Bug Catcher is still using the same Viridian bugs as ever.

Surprisingly cheerful about his loss, though. I like his spirit.

I was kind of hoping that we could repeat an "I'm the third strongest trainer!" joke five times, but the game's not playing along.

Ali here has an Oddish and Bellsprout, both of which go up in flames.

All the challengers on the bridge say this when they go down.

Sorry kiddo, your two bros ruined the joke already.

Timmy had a Sandshrew and Ekans, but got stomped all the same.

Actually yeah, a little.

Reli has a male and female Nidoran. I'm still not sure what's good against these guys, so I just kinda brute-forced them down.

And finally, the fifth-third-strongest-mole-trainer.

Monkeys are flammable. Sort of.

I'm the champion wooooooo :woop:

:signings:

Wait, what?

Well with a pitch like that I--- No! No, I'm not joining you!

Yes.

No!

I'm telling you I have a Mankey specially trained to deal with guys like you!

Oh, whatever.

:frogbon:

His mighty team consisted of an Ekans and a Zubat. Nidoran Girl put up more of a fight.

That's damning with faint praise if I've ever heard it.

Although I don't know why Cerulean City lets the Pokemobsters hang out just outside the city limits. I'm also surprised that Kaz didn't thrash them on his way out here.

Anyway, with the bridge clear, we can continue to Bill's place.

Right after we go talk to this guy.

You thought not... what? I feel like there was a line missing here. :psyduck:

I guess ordinary citizens don't realize that Rocket's trainers are chumps. Anyway, with the local ruffians out of the way, we can check out the grass.

Amongst the Viridian bugs we find this little guy.

I debated between Oscar or Felix for this one, since I neglected to check the gender first. With this we've got ourselves a new plant Pokemon, so things are looking up!

And then a couple minutes later, I meet... this. Kaz had one of these. I'll catch one and make it even bigger and better! Then won't he be jealous?

Except that the Abra immediately teleports away. In fact, this seems to be the only ability that it knows. After wasting a couple Pokeballs checking if maybe it's possible to catch these guys at full health, I decide I need a plan.

If we can stop the Abra from moving, it can't teleport. Judging by my test run versus this Pidgey, Frau Bow can put an enemy to sleep and gradually pummel it to death. This could work. It's inspired!

Here goes!

Of course I wasn't expecting the Jigglypuff to go first right away. I need to level her some more.

And more.

And more.

And... more?

Did you think the update's title was referring to Abras I'd successfully killed? No, that's referencing the dozen or so times that Frau keeled over from Oddish venom on the way back to the Pokecenter.

Around the time that Fraw is old enough to drink, I think to look at her stats.

...Yeah. Fraw is the slowest motherfucker on earth. My plan may not have been so inspired after all.

So, scratch that. Time for Plan B: have Amuro use Thunder Wave to paralyze the Abra and hope for the best!

Good!

...Buh?

:suicide:

I try this a couple more times, but while Thunder Wave works every time I use it, it completely fails to keep the Abra from fleeing.

You know, I hadn't intended to take on Misty by level-grinding Amuro up into the twenties, but it happened anyway. I'm going to throw in the towel on the Abra-catching fiasco before things get any more ridiculous. Kat will just have to capture one after she's beefed up her stable a little more.

i bet clefairy could've put it to sleep

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
So I was drunk while I played through this originally and missed a bunch of screenshots that I needed, which is part of why the update took this long. This would presumably not have been the case when I was an actual kid, so hopefully people will overlook this breach in authenticity.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Bad luck with Paralyze. :(

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Trying to catch Abra is a pain in the butt, for sure.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Trying to catch Abra is a pain in the butt, for sure.

I think there's a hidden Great Ball outside Mt. Moon that makes it simple. Ledge-locked now, though.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
The Nidorans are Poison-type, so they're weak to Psychic and Ground. You probably don't have any of those, so it's a bit of a moot point anyway.

Also, the chance to catch Abra by just throwing a regular old Pokeball on the first turn is around 28%. It's perfectly possible to catch it just by doing that repeatedly.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Honestly, unless you're desperately low on funds, the least tedious way is to just keep throwing pokeballs at them when they pop up. Sure you only get one attempt per Abra, but eventually one should stick.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I'm so cheap I savescum each time I try to catch an Abra. Pokefunds are surprisingly dear before the third badge or so.

Speaking Abra, name it Babbage if its a boy or Lovelace if it's a girl.

I wish I could come up with more fun Gundam references but I'm not as big a fan as I thought I was. The only ones I remember are already taken and I can't make those deep draws for obscure characters.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's really fun seeing you strategise your decisions from the perspective of a newbie with stuff like deciding how to counter that beast of a Starmie or how to catch the Abra.

Gloomy Rube
Mar 4, 2008

Paralyze just gives a something percent chance of making them not move, so the thunder wave strategy could totally work, but you're getting kinda robbed here.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Yeah, you could level that Jigglypuff to Level 50 and she still wouldn't outspeed that Abra.

So checking stats is very important. But you've got the right idea regarding status effects.
Unlike a lot of other JRPGs from the 90's, status effects can very debilitating in Pokemon.

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
Jigglypuff's speed issues aside, I do wish levels didn't have quite as much of an effect on stats as they do. Like if they started at a higher baseline and grew more slowly, I would like that. You wouldn't be able to finish the game with your favorite Caterpie anymore, but I feel like it would open up the game in a lot of other ways and at least be less grindy. New moves and evolutions are enough of a reward for leveling, really.

This is the "Pokemon for adults" I've always envisioned, nothing edgy or dark about it.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I am just upset he didn't spend all that time leveling a certain someone who could actually dunk on Starmie by level 20

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I'm pretty sure that Frau Bow can now tank an attack by Starmie, put it to sleep and have it get murdered by Amuro.

Still hinges on it not waking up but maaaybe Amuro can now also tank at least one attack?

Faylone
Feb 18, 2012
Abras are speedy little shits specifically so they can probably teleport before you can do anything because their entire gimmick is being taunting jerks that are hard to catch. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm glad later games made certain Pokemon lose their annoying gimmicks so they weren't gimped playability-wise for X levels.

Like, Feebas is a rare equivalent of Magikarp and does the same Splash nonsense, but at least you can teach it moves like Ice Beam. It's not going to hit hard, but it's still something more than flopping around uselessly for several levels!