Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

The real interesting thing is earlier this season, over half the field failed inspection. Over. Half. NASCAR must have found something suspect that a lot of cars were doing and decided to come down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Just to remind, most the poo poo Smokey did was at the time perfectly legal. It aint cheating if there's rule no covering it :D

Deteriorata posted:

https://jalopnik.com/how-the-best-racing-cheat-of-all-time-worked-1792828060

A turbo inlet that was exactly to specifications during tech inspections and when off the car, but under load would flex and let more air through.

I got to talk to the FIA guy that examined the turbo when it was discovered. He said that the articles written on just how ingenious it was are understatements - the anti tamper engineering itself left him gobsmacked - the idea of variable inlet turbos to defeat restrictions was known and tested for. They ONLY way that the cheat could be exposed without cutting the turbo apart was to work the turbo beyond 20 PSI - something you couldn't do on the bench or even see it on the car.

Also the article isnt.... quite right about the hp of the cars at the time. Sure the nominal limit was 300 hp but these cars had 50mm turbo intakes and they did close to 206Kw in standard form in Japan. When 34mm restrictors came in the cars were still over 300hp - It's probably more likely the Celicas were over 500hp.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

How about sealed up roll cage filled with NOS

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

a sexual elk posted:

How about sealed up roll cage filled with NOS

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
My favorite cheats beside the mentioned ones are the huge fuel line that acted like a tank and the "watercooled" brakes that dumped like 20 gallons of water right at the start so the car could make weight then be 150 pounds lighter.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Just to remind, most the poo poo Smokey did was at the time perfectly legal. It aint cheating if there's rule no covering it :D

I got to talk to the FIA guy that examined the turbo when it was discovered. He said that the articles written on just how ingenious it was are understatements - the anti tamper engineering itself left him gobsmacked - the idea of variable inlet turbos to defeat restrictions was known and tested for. They ONLY way that the cheat could be exposed without cutting the turbo apart was to work the turbo beyond 20 PSI - something you couldn't do on the bench or even see it on the car.

Also the article isnt.... quite right about the hp of the cars at the time. Sure the nominal limit was 300 hp but these cars had 50mm turbo intakes and they did close to 206Kw in standard form in Japan. When 34mm restrictors came in the cars were still over 300hp - It's probably more likely the Celicas were over 500hp.

Yeah, when Max Mosley, who has seen countless cheats by way of F1, calls it the most ingenious cheat he's ever seen, you've done something special.

It's the one cheat that outdid Smokey, if you ask me.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Red Bull Flexing front wings. Which FIA never did figure out how to catch.

Edit. https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/07/photo-exclusive-red-bull-flexi-front-wing-judge-for-yourself/

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Sep 11, 2018

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rHOcbykgZ4

And it's for sale...

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/snw/d/for-sale-snow-cat-limo/6690774296.html

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jonny Nox posted:

Red Bull Flexing front wings. Which FIA never did figure out how to catch.

Edit. https://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2010/07/photo-exclusive-red-bull-flexi-front-wing-judge-for-yourself/

Seems quite simple, it met the test criteria of a 500N load, but they perhaps should have tested at 2000N i.e. the actual downforce experienced. Not "couldn't catch", just "not illegal the way we test currently", unless there's more to it.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I think this belongs here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PWobhCkRKU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

'

WITNESS!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Turbo Barra Cresta is over in the US at the moment for the Drag Week. Sadly all the video is on MTOD :(

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

'

WITNESS!

TBH, the cars that impress me the most at Drag Week are full body cars

cakesmith handyman posted:

Seems quite simple, it met the test criteria of a 500N load, but they perhaps should have tested at 2000N i.e. the actual downforce experienced. Not "couldn't catch", just "not illegal the way we test currently", unless there's more to it.

Your reading of "Passes static test thence not illegall" in this case is right. The other teams were mostly bitching because they didnt think of it first - just like for a while Ferrari worked out a way to do traction control within the parameters of the rulebook. Hell, even the original raised nose in F1 was a "why didnt we think of that???" idea other teams howled about.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

You Am I posted:

The Turbo Barra Cresta is over in the US at the moment for the Drag Week. Sadly all the video is on MTOD :(

Live feed/ replay is on Youtube.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

TBH, the cars that impress me the most at Drag Week are full body cars

Your reading of "Passes static test thence not illegall" in this case is right. The other teams were mostly bitching because they didnt think of it first - just like for a while Ferrari worked out a way to do traction control within the parameters of the rulebook. Hell, even the original raised nose in F1 was a "why didnt we think of that???" idea other teams howled about.

Exactly. If you have a way to gain an advantage that isn't explicitly outlawed by the ruling body and you don't take advantage of it, then you're a fool. That poo poo is Racing 101.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Exactly. If you have a way to gain an advantage that isn't explicitly outlawed by the ruling body and you don't take advantage of it, then you're a fool. That poo poo is Racing 101.

Or the teams collude and choose to not protest. Up to the mid 90's the WRC teams had an unwritten rule that they wouldn't protest each other's quiet cheating - as long as it wasn't THAT much of a piss take like the Toyota WRC turbo, they would be fine. European scrutineers likewise tended to turn their backs as well.

They got a rude shock when they went to Rally Australia as the scrutineers were ummm..... cunts is probably the most valid expression to describe them. Which persists to this day, Coffs Harbour scrutineers are a NASTY reputation. They will get you for the smallest loving thing - like signage 2mm too small. The first year I was doing behind the scenes stuff at Rally Aust in 2009, the bullshit they got everyone on was loving amazing. Like they got a friend's EVO for speaker holes in the trim. Which were completely stock but because she didn't have the homologation papers on hand right that second, they said nope. The FIA guys were like DAFUQ is this pedantic poo poo?

Not even the full factory WRC teams NAFF Coffs Harbour scrutineering. Kaptain Ballistik has managed to do that twice but my god did he have to do EVERYTHING by the letter and it's stressful as gently caress. Only four - FOUR - cars managed to NAFF scrutineering first go in 2016.

So I guess the moral here is that along with playing with the rules for an advantage, in some places you can get away with bending the rules while others you have to be as legalistic as possible.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cECsj2Bznig

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Sounds like I should be buying a white Fiesta if I don't want to get killed in traffic by robots soon.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Live feed/ replay is on Youtube.

Hook a brother up with a link

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

You Am I posted:

Hook a brother up with a link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UmNHffaj5I
Day 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTjOtqUnCe8
Day 2

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

They got a rude shock when they went to Rally Australia as the scrutineers were ummm..... cunts is probably the most valid expression to describe them.
I've said before, I always find it interesting how Aussies maintain their freewheeling, she'll-be-right reputation in the face of some of the astoundingly petty, bullshit regulation that infests certain corners, particularly with automotive stuff.

We have similar annoyances here, but at least the British id has a comfort zone in a mess of Yes Minister meets Brazil when it comes to this stuff, and to be fair, we get off relatively lightly.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Interesting that the test guy was talking about people from different places having different levels of tolerance for warning systems... I feel like this means we'd almost end up with regional settings per car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

I've said before, I always find it interesting how Aussies maintain their freewheeling, she'll-be-right reputation in the face of some of the astoundingly petty, bullshit regulation that infests certain corners, particularly with automotive stuff.

We have similar annoyances here, but at least the British id has a comfort zone in a mess of Yes Minister meets Brazil when it comes to this stuff, and to be fair, we get off relatively lightly.

Well TBH most Aussie scrutineers arent that level of twat. Victoria, Queensland, Waga Wagga and SA have all been "Yeah okay, that's not 100% but we aint gonna nit pick". Coffs Harbour scrutineers OTOH, even at club level have a seriously BAD reputation for being just plain loving petty and vindictive. I had a runin with them at a multiclub round about some ridiculous thing that was was clearly legal according to the rules but I had to argue for 25 loving minutes with the rulebook AND an mmotorsport manual that clearly stated the mudflaps were supposed to be of a certain size as well as measureably the right height from the ground and the right thickness and mine absolutly complied. I was nowhere NEAR the only person having heated arguments either, this was a loving piece of piss event that was barely a few laps in the forest and there was any number of competitors who literally told the scrutineers to go gently caress themselves.

And yet when I went to my first national level event int he same car, I was packign poo poo expecting to be keelhauled... and the scrutineers could not have been a nicer bunch. They were like "gently caress that poo poo mate, you're all here to throw gravel at specaatators, what do we loving care? As long as the car's safe, we aint like those cunts up north"

Okay look when you are doing national or even International level events you do have to step the game up and follow the rules a lot more closely. But there's following hte rules and then there's being a bunch of cunts.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I was talking in a more general sense about Australia as a whole, rather than Motorsport specifically.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
I'd love to type a long response but I'm on mobile and the outlet serving the modem in my house developed a fault and I'm waiting three weeks for a certified electrician to come by and screw a new one in. Also, no new content because the front seat rail bushings in my car were deemed to be too loose and I can't register my car without $400 in inspections.

Also I was eaten by a poisonous spider.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Queen Combat posted:

I'd love to type a long response but I'm on mobile and the outlet serving the modem in my house developed a fault and I'm waiting three weeks for a certified electrician to come by and screw a new one in. Also, no new content because the front seat rail bushings in my car were deemed to be too loose and I can't register my car without $400 in inspections.

Also I was eaten by a poisonous spider.

Well at least you weren't doing 121 in a 120.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

InitialDave posted:

I was talking in a more general sense about Australia as a whole, rather than Motorsport specifically.

And they use words like “capsicum” and “jaffle” when everyone else calls those things peppers and toasted sandwiches.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

There is a gentleman in a Ford Coupe on Drag Week with a loving fuel car. We have reached maximum improbability, we are through the looking glass. :iia:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

drgitlin posted:

And they use words like “capsicum” and “jaffle” when everyone else calls those things peppers and toasted sandwiches.

A jaffle is different to a toasted sandwich, you can make the latter in a sandwich press or a frying pan, but only a jaffle iron will get you a jaffle. Preferably over a campfire, with cheese and ham inside it.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

drgitlin posted:

masterchef au watcher spotted.
I've never used the name 'jaffle' before. Someone invented the name jaffle for the old press because it was a play on waffle maybe, which was a similar cast iron press you also used put into an oven or on hot coals.
It's 'toasties' in strayla where I am. When breville invented the home electrical version they just called it a toasted sandwich maker (maybe because they thought jaffle was trademarked - I dunno, either way jaffle isn't written on the machine) Only some people call it jaffles due to the old cast iron press name maybe?

Also capsicums make more sense. Do you want capsicum Y/N?. Do you want pepper? What bloody type, black pepper, hot pepper or a bell pepper!? Stop calling all three pepper. Call them different names like pepper, chilli and capsicum.

E: Also it was called a cressida here too american drag week commentator. MCM's is a cresta because it's a Japanese import. That's what they called them over there.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Sep 12, 2018

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
This popped into my recommended videos because of the other Goodwood stuff. Such a :black101: car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ks2e_pjasQ

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Racism is irrational, what can I say?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

drgitlin posted:

Uhhh... ok?

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

drgitlin posted:

https://www.thoughtco.com/j-a-p-engines-743406

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

drgitlin posted:

The gently caress you going on about? A Jaffle is different to a toasted sandwich

drgitlin posted:

The gently caress you going on about?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

drgitlin posted:

Sir, this is a McDonald's drive through.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

InitialDave posted:

Our speeding laws are crazy here compared to most countries, sure, but there's nothing as insane as MOT tests here in Australia.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Oh come on, there's no way someone who posts here would be that thick, is there?

You Am I posted:

Our speeding laws are crazy here compared to most countries, sure, but there's nothing as insane as MOT tests here in Australia.
The MOT test really isn't that much hassle at all. Your import restrictions and limitations on vehicle modification are just inane.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

InitialDave posted:

Oh come on, there's no way someone who posts here would be that thick, is there?

To be fair, I had a similar first thought. I never heard of them before.