Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

I’ve spent the last two and a half months playing through 0, Kiwami, and Kiwami 2 and I still have no idea how they managed to have extremely serious and dramatic main plots and really goofy and funny side content and still have it all feel really cohesive and in-character in every game

https://twitter.com/southafao/status/1038891652306354179?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Warbird posted:

So I finally got Yakuza 0 to play nice with my PC. BOY this poo poo is goofy.

For now, sure. It's gonna get real heavy. The main story, at least.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

BioEnchanted posted:

Just got close to Nupraptor's Lair in Blood Omen , the place where the first of the 9 lurks.
I like that Kain has something to say about every town you arrive at. It's good world building. Like in a town where there are a bunch of brothels, he's like "The town permeated with the unique smell of it's inhabitants. Anywhere else my rotting countenance would be an unpleasant addition, here I just added to the stench..."

After you beat Nupraptor, make absolutely sure to have Kain read off the item description for the key item you get from him. It’s magical. :allears:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

JebanyPedal posted:

I don't think Twilight Princess looks that good at all, the obviously low res textures and extreme aliasing makes it look awful.
Wind Waker managed to circumvent those issues through its block coloring and cartoony textures which didn't use as much minute detail, the animations in TP also felt surprisingly choppy.

TP just looks like someone smeared vaseline all over your screen, the character models look somewhat decent but even back in the day I thought TP looked extremely muddy, it doesn't help that they went with such a muted color palette so everything looks really monotone and even more muddled.
The HD version helps with a lot of those problems, but it suffers from a lot of the issues up-ressed games tend to have, notably that the textures now just look super sharp and out of place, which makes the environments look more empty, especially because of how poorly aligned the textures are with the geometry a lot of the time.

Honestly I think the biggest issue with TP, besides a lot of the Twilight Realm enemies and locations which look great, the rest of the game's art design is extremely bland and lacking.
I agree that Wind Waker feels awfully unfinished in some parts, but I also feel that Twilight Princess was too loving long and became a total drag to play.

EDIT: I just watched the Spaceworld 2000 Link/Ganondorf battle and yes, it looks like loving crap.

I prefer TP to WW in basically every aspect but I don't think I'd ever want to replay it. It's long and a lot of it felt like a slog even at the time. Both games are better than Skyward Sword though.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
My favorite was Link Between Worlds, but it never seems to come up often. I never played WW, though, and saw an LP of Twilight Princess that was enough for me. That game just looked... Unpolished? It seemed to be missing some fundamental Zelda thing, but I can't quite nail down what.

For actual content, JJ's podcast radio show in Spider-Man is loving amazing. He's so angry and crazy, and the actor sells it perfectly. It's made me laugh out loud, too, which probably almost woke my wife up.

"Spider-Man is swinging through town, hopped up on SMOG!"

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Were Alex Jones a sane and normal man he should have voiced it.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Maybe I was just at the right age when it came out but I thought Wind Waker was absolutely amazing. The visuals were really striking and the size of the world map was crazy to me (even though it was mostly empty). People hated the sailing at the time but it was actually one of my favorite parts - really let you feel just how much bigger the ocean was compared to Hyrule field on the N64 and it was cool to spy a little island on the distance and make your way over. The missing dungeons really sucked because it seemed like big conspicuous flaws in what was otherwise a masterpiece. If Twilight Princess was missing a few dungeons I doubt it'd bother me too much.

Twilight Princess was... alright. It lacked whatever spark it is that's always made the best Zelda games so memorable. Maybe because it felt like it was designed as a bit of a retread of OoT to quiet the people who whined about Wind Waker's setting and art style. I also thought the sickly, alien audio and visual design for the twilight world was not the best choice. It ended up making large swathes of the game feel all grody and unappealing. Still a pretty good game in its own right, though.

Skyward Sword was such a massive disappointment. I was so hyped up by the Skyloft stuff, thinking that I'd be getting a kind of Wind Waker-style overworld. Instead, you had the main town in the sky and essentially nothing else. Maybe the dungeons were good, but I honestly barely remember them over all the other poo poo that was wrong. The motion controls made all the combat encounters feel like a lovely finicky puzzle, the world felt completely lifeless and bland, and after twenty hours I could no longer loving deal with tutorial messages trying to tell me what a rupee was.

Then BoTW was great and I was happy.

In terms of good little things in games, I like Salvatore:

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I liked the WW sailing because I use video games to chill out, not to chase a high score.

Though I'm super glad they changed how the sail operated in the remakes. That was a good call.

Desperate Character
Apr 13, 2009
skyward sword has one of my favorite zelda bosses ever and I never even played the game, as strange as that sounds. I just love everything about the Koloktos fight; his design, the sound effects they use, and that theme is just so amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NILL7ym2n1Q

I thought nothing would beat the molgera theme but I'm glad I was proven wrong

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Skyward Sword has a bunch if really fun parts and cool bosses. It's not as bad as everyone's decided but it is probably the weakest 3d Zelda

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
I agree but then again I also like Malo

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I figure I must be extremely lucky as I never had an issue with the motion controls and really enjoyed Skyward Sword. I honestly don't remember the item descriptions thing at all too.

Could they rerelease it on Switch or would that be impossible? Might be nice with some qol tweaks. I'm thinking it's probably best left as a pleasant memory though.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Dewgy posted:

After you beat Nupraptor, make absolutely sure to have Kain read off the item description for the key item you get from him. It’s magical. :allears:

Seconding this.
And thirding that you should do this with absolutely every item you get.
I love it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Desperate Character posted:

skyward sword has one of my favorite zelda bosses ever and I never even played the game, as strange as that sounds. I just love everything about the Koloktos fight; his design, the sound effects they use, and that theme is just so amazing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NILL7ym2n1Q

I thought nothing would beat the molgera theme but I'm glad I was proven wrong

This reminds me that one of my favorite things in the 3D Zelda games are the boss intros with the unique titles.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah, just compare most of the SNES library with the PS1.

Most everything of the SNES looks good and if it doesn't, it's still readable.
LOADS of PS1 games look like hot rear end but we loved it at the time because COOOOOL 3D!

NES games look and play like poo poo but Super NES games still hold up. PS1 and N64 games look and play like poo poo but PS2 and Gamecube games still hold up.

And honestly I don't think this is even a problem anymore. PS3/360 remakes onto current gen systems are 99% about making the game playable at all, it's not like there are massive improvements or anything. You just get the actual ability to play the game on your current console.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Casey Finnigan posted:

I also thought the sickly, alien audio and visual design for the twilight world was not the best choice. It ended up making large swathes of the game feel all grody and unappealing. Still a pretty good game in its own right, though.

i mean this is kinda the point, TP was supposed to be kinda dark and creepy and a little ugly like malo isn't an accident

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Since people keep bringing it up:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mau2X15/status/1039234659157200901

I didn't think that anyone else could get close to J.K. Simmons' insane over the top portrayal of J Jonah Jameson in the Sam Raimi movies and like every adaptation ever, but this comes really close.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

ElwoodCuse posted:

NES games look and play like poo poo but Super NES games still hold up. PS1 and N64 games look and play like poo poo but PS2 and Gamecube games still hold up.

There are some amazing super Nintendo games that really impressed me with what they were able to do. There was like a BB gun turn based game and an f1 game where you could upgrade you car that were fantastic.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Elfgames posted:

i mean this is kinda the point, TP was supposed to be kinda dark and creepy and a little ugly like malo isn't an accident

Just because it's intentional, doesn't mean it isn't weird and uncomfortable and not for everyone.

I personally like it, I think that if Twilight Princess is the best Zelda at anything it's monster design and depiction of the otherworldly. But I won't really disagree if anybody says they don't like it, even I think it stands far better in Hyrule Warriors than Twilight Princess itself.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

This reminds me that one of my favorite things in the 3D Zelda games are the boss intros with the unique titles.

I’m pretty sure the last thing to go through my head before I die will be “Parasitic Armored Arachnid Gohma”.

Arachnid-related, the web swinging in Spider-Man is so drat good. I spent an afternoon today just clearing out Ll the backpacks and landmarks because I was having so much fun zipping around New York.

I also love that pretty much every Marvel-related building is in the game. Except the Baxter Building.

Bussamove has a new favorite as of 11:53 on Sep 12, 2018

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
I'm still very early in Yakuza 0, just did a substory (ie sidequest) called Password Protected.

The way that substory ends... Oh Kiryu :allears:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Spider-Man is a game that is gonna come up in this thread quite a bit. It oozes neat little details

Bussamove posted:

Arachnid-related, the web swinging in Spider-Man is so drat good. I spent an afternoon today just clearing out Ll the backpacks and landmarks because I was having so much fun zipping around New York.

I also love that pretty much every Marvel-related building is in the game. Except the Baxter Building.

That's basically my exact progress. I've only played it once so far but it was a long session and I ended up getting every tower and backpack and landmark and I had to tear myself away because it does "just do this last thing it'll be fun" so very well.

I really like that you get different sound effects for running up buildings. It's normal most of the time but running up glass makes a hilarious squeaking sound. Also good, there are some buildings with Very Big Windows. And that you can do precision web swinging and gracefully zip about or you can point Spidey in the right direction and just hammer R2 and X and you'll still get there.

Also also one of the powers sends out a bunch of decoys and they all start arguing over who is the real Spider-Man until one of them says "see, this is why we Don't Do Clones"

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Bussamove posted:

what the gently caress.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Marvel games these days focus on MCU or at least things that Disney owns the movie rights for.

Disney doesn't own movie rights for X-Men or Fantastic Four (at least until the Fox purchase goes through). So there are no references to them in newer games.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

I will buy DLC to put the Baxter Building in the game.

Or Four Freedoms Plaza, I am not picky. As long as there is a giant number 4 on a building.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I'm still very early in Yakuza 0, just did a substory (ie sidequest) called Password Protected.

The way that substory ends... Oh Kiryu :allears:
I can't decide whether to make the obviously right choices in sidequests or play Kiryu as a complete buffoon.

Speaking of Yakuza 0, Majima's Slugger style is a delight. All these years of beat 'em up games with weapon pickups and finally here's one that lets you just pull out a baseball bat whenever and wail on people. And he tends to meet the scum of the earth in his sidequests, too. :allears:

e: all my Yakuza 0 posts end with that emote :v: It really is great, though. The past few months I was feeling a bit lukewarm about games in general, but I'm glued to this one.

My Lovely Horse has a new favorite as of 13:43 on Sep 12, 2018

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

ElwoodCuse posted:

NES games look and play like poo poo

While you may be right about early 3d games looking like hot garbage, I will fight you on this one. There are plenty of good NES games that still have good gameplay and look fantastic.

Super Mario Bros 2 and 3, Duck Tails, Rescue Rangers, Startropics, Dragon Warrior 2 and 3... dammit, now I want to play NES.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ilmucche posted:

There are some amazing super Nintendo games that really impressed me with what they were able to do. There was like a BB gun turn based game and an f1 game where you could upgrade you car that were fantastic.

Tales of Phantasia, Star Ocean, Rockman & Forte all look fantastic, and the former two have ridiculously impressive scope: a large variety of detailed, animated enemy sprites, some limited voice acting (ToP even has a voiced J-Pop song), hectic realtime (albeit laggy) combat, and plenty of mechanical complexity. Arguably Star Ocean isn't a great game from a gameplay standpoint; its plot more or less disappears after the intro sequence. But it's a gorgeous game and does things that I would never have expected the SNES would be capable of.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Arguably Star Ocean isn't a great game from a gameplay standpoint; its plot more or less disappears after the intro sequence.

That's the plot of every Star Ocean; five minutes of Star Trek followed by forty hours of fantasy-bullshit and some paedophilia.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I remember Star Ocean 3(I think) opening with space opera stuff and seeming really cool, then the characters crash land on a low-tech planet and start running around with swords and magic and I didn't really bother to play it any further

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
man, gently caress star ocean 3. i hate that game and i hate that i got sucked into its bullshit space opera opening and sunk over 100 hours into it thinking i'd get it back and it instead turning into a dimb meta mmorpg plot.

cliff fittir ruled.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just navigated to the save point at the top of Nupraptor's lair in Blood Omen. Gonna do the boss later. I liked the design of the dungeon as it had interesting puzzles, like the 4 paths from the room with the Giant Brain, and also the fact that the shape of the skull is represented towards the top of the tower is a nice touch, especially seeing out of the eyes, and seeing from the right eye how Nosgoth looks to the average person and from the left eye how bad the decay has become. I also like that it goes from cave entrance -> living quarters -> Weird ritualistic skull rooms. It's a cool visual progression.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I just started playing Overwatch again and there is a new hero that's a hamster piloting a giant ball mech. You can shoot out a harpoon to swing yourself like a giant wrecking ball.

It's fun as hell because it lets you into areas that are normally only accessible to flying or teleporting characters.

It is the closest I will get to playing the new Spider-Man game and it's breaking my heart.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Inspector Gesicht posted:

That's the plot of every Star Ocean; five minutes of Star Trek followed by forty hours of fantasy-bullshit and some paedophilia.

I have no idea what you're talking about!

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Arguably Star Ocean isn't a great game from a gameplay standpoint; its plot more or less disappears after the intro sequence. But it's a gorgeous game and does things that I would never have expected the SNES would be capable of.

Uses a custom chip, it's not really a vanilla SNES game (same thing with Tales of Phantasia)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Which would explain why it was so hard to emulate for a long while.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

ookiimarukochan posted:

Uses a custom chip, it's not really a vanilla SNES game (same thing with Tales of Phantasia)

Don't many NES/SNES games use custom chips at some level? E.g. if you try to use a NES without a mapper (of which there were many implementations), your game is limited to something like 8kB. More exotic expansions are a bit more rare, but hardly unheard-of. Castlevania III had a custom audio processor, and there's the SuperFX chip used by Star Fox and Yoshi's Island.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Einhander still looks pretty fantastic, and it's realistic to the extent that a game with sci-fi warmachines can be.

I wish they'd make a sequel to that game. :(

With how many indie games there are across every genre now with increasingly good production values, it’s crazy that no one’s tried to make a spiritual sequel to einhander yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Nupraptor's head has a pretty funny description. Thanks for the tip of listening to it. Next comes Malek!