Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Lutha Mahtin posted:

are you sure you even understand all the diez components we're talking about
sorry i'm at saw con right now i'll have to get back to you later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Plank Walker posted:

if only apple had chosen to use usb-c audio, they could have set a de facto standard for it, unlike android, the most popular os in the world

they can just use the usb audio standard!

what do you mean it’s for sound cards, just put one in the dongle!

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the overall movement of phone makers deciding to move backwards on "hey this is an advanced computer device i wonder if i could play some music on it" is one of the most amazing things

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i like that both the apple and android threads are currently talking about Problems Playing Music

elmer chud
May 18, 2018
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)
playing music is a very complicated thing that definitely has not been a solved problem for decades

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
I don’t want to just play music on my phone. i want to make it too. i guess what im saying is where is my burp and fart piano

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

elmer chud posted:

playing music is a very complicated thing that definitely has not been a solved problem for decades

we’re talking about Linux here

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Ive been using usbc forever and it works great, but I also don't have any Linux devices like android or ios.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Shaggar posted:

Ive been using usbc forever and it works great, but I also don't have any Linux devices like android or ios.

what's left? windows? got bad news for you.. that's also a linux

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

i was setting up for a cellular industry conference today and our booth is behind a row of Chinese ODMs that appear to be offering all the great knockoffs Android people love to import

the strangest thing is that they also appear to have VoLTE candy bar dumb phones front and center as well... how are those still a thing? surely they must actually be android as well?

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

elmer chud posted:

i think it would be nice if i could tell the phone to play music in the car and then it would play the music i have on the phone but i have to look at it touch it and get a felony charge

dsmp &c

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

the strangest thing is that they also appear to have VoLTE candy bar dumb phones front and center as well... how are those still a thing? surely they must actually be android as well?

there is still a significant market for dumbphones. remember when your nokia/samsung flip phone had a battery that would last weeks? :allears:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

President Beep posted:

I don’t want to just play music on my phone. i want to make it too. i guess what im saying is where is my burp and fart piano

its been inside you all along

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Lutha Mahtin posted:

are you sure you even understand all the diez components we're talking about

diez nuts?

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

President Beep posted:

garage band on iOS will allow u to sample and burp fart ur way to the top of soundcloud :hai:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Lutha Mahtin posted:

there is still a significant market for dumbphones. remember when your nokia/samsung flip phone had a battery that would last weeks? :allears:

i have good news for you https://www.nokia.com/en_int/phones/nokia-8110-4g

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

the matrix is real...

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

that looks kinda decent actually. i don't know how well Google maps works on a 2.5" screen though, plus you'd have to brush up on your T9 skillz lol

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

kind of amazing that nokia still has like 30 separate phone models including 14 androids

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

oh, i definitely think they look cool too. if i were looking for a dumb phone i'd consider one of those.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

qirex posted:

kind of amazing that nokia still has like 30 separate phone models including 14 androids

yeah and that's even after the original Nokia died and HMD took over. although iirc HMD has a lot of former Nokia employees

are some of the phones just minor variants meant for different areas of the world? like with different wireless bands support. i noticed the dumb phones were all 2g or 3g except for the matrix retro one which has LTE

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Lutha Mahtin posted:

yeah and that's even after the original Nokia died and HMD took over. although iirc HMD has a lot of former Nokia employees

are some of the phones just minor variants meant for different areas of the world? like with different wireless bands support. i noticed the dumb phones were all 2g or 3g except for the matrix retro one which has LTE
:iiam:

Nokia 8 Sirocco
Nokia 8
Nokia 7 Plus
Nokia 6.1 Plus
Nokia 6.1
Nokia 6
Nokia 5.1 Plus
Nokia 5.1
Nokia 5
Nokia 3.1
Nokia 3
Nokia 2.1
Nokia 2
Nokia 1

and people are making fun of apple's naming rn

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

qirex posted:

Nokia 8 Sirocco
Nokia 8
Nokia 7 Plus
Nokia 6.1 Plus
Nokia 6.1
Nokia 6
Nokia 5.1 Plus
Nokia 5.1
Nokia 5
Nokia 3.1
Nokia 3
Nokia 2.1
Nokia 2
Nokia 1

remember the htc one?

no the other one

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

qirex posted:

Nokia 8 Sirocco
Nokia 8
Nokia 7 Plus
Nokia 6.1 Plus
Nokia 6.1
Nokia 6
Nokia 5.1 Plus
Nokia 5.1
Nokia 5
Nokia 3.1
Nokia 3
Nokia 2.1
Nokia 2
Nokia 1

the apple phone names are funny because they are full blown android naming. the conversion of ios devices to android is now complete.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

shaggar's on a real tear today.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

qirex posted:

Nokia 8 Sirocco
Nokia 8
Nokia 7 Plus
Nokia 6.1 Plus
Nokia 6.1
Nokia 6
Nokia 5.1 Plus
Nokia 5.1
Nokia 5
Nokia 3.1
Nokia 3
Nokia 2.1
Nokia 2
Nokia 1

apples naming is way worse than this, Sirocco is the only weirdo on the list (reference to a classic nokia apparently). the number corresponds roughly to where it is in the market (e.g. price bracket), .1 is a newer revision, and plus have larger screens than the corresponding non-plus

there are, granted, rather many of them to keep track of, but differentiating between many models using a number sequence is in and of itself a rather established practice. arguably the original purpose of numbers.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
iPhone 18.04 LTS

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I had the original and it was cool an good. One of the first phones to have WAP, T9, and a bigass screen compared to the rest of the market. They almost all broke though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it’s going to need VoLTE to work in the US in the near future
hspa is staying around longer in the rest of the world at least

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

qirex posted:

Nokia 8 Sirocco
Nokia 8
Nokia 7 Plus
Nokia 6.1 Plus
Nokia 6.1
Nokia 6
Nokia 5.1 Plus
Nokia 5.1
Nokia 5
Nokia 3.1
Nokia 3
Nokia 2.1
Nokia 2
Nokia 1

10 years ago nokia was releasing 1 new phone per week. and they all had different features and no phone had a superset of all of them. want a camera, fm radio and flashlight? gently caress you! you can have any 2 but not all three!

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

and i think they all had bespoke OS poo poo goin on so apps existed on one fone but not next week's fone

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

there was way less commonality between the SW builds of various symbian s60 phones than you would think. like think fragmentation/reinventation issues worse than the android market, except all happening within one company.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

DuckConference posted:

there was way less commonality between the SW builds of various symbian s60 phones than you would think. like think fragmentation/reinventation issues worse than the android market, except all happening within one company.

yeah I read they basically had full dev teams for each handset

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
Well, related phone families of like 3-4 phones, but confirmed.

foonykins
Jun 15, 2010

stop with the small talk

qirex posted:

Nokia 8 Sirocco

they named a phone after the sex parrot

:parrot::parrot::parrot::parrot:

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

nokia 8.1 kakapo

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
cacapoopoo

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

phones on the android 9.0 pie (thank you) are randomly having the battery saver mode turn on at 99%.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Prolong The Suffering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
and that's why smart carriers wait a year or more before letting you upgrade. thanks, lab rats :smugndar: