Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Baloogan posted:

prime minister ford

Randy Ford.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

You guys are depressing when you're right

e: so what's the most realistic way to counter the tide of stupidity? I think prop rep would help but won't do any good if better policies don't reach voters

a massive and consistent investment in education from pre-K to post-secondary, lasting across multiple generations without being cut by incoming governments

also coinciding with a shift in education focus away from stem and working through assigned tasks to focus on critical analytical skills and problem solving

also a dramatic shift away from the idea that job market success is the only way to measure educational achievement, since that's a great way to end up with a population that's dumb as poo poo when it comes to civic life but really good at being worker drones for multinational corporations

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bookmarked forever, thank you for this.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity

vyelkin posted:

a massive and consistent investment in education from pre-K to post-secondary, lasting across multiple generations without being cut by incoming governments

also coinciding with a shift in education focus away from stem and working through assigned tasks to focus on critical analytical skills and problem solving

also a dramatic shift away from the idea that job market success is the only way to measure educational achievement, since that's a great way to end up with a population that's dumb as poo poo when it comes to civic life but really good at being worker drones for multinational corporations

:agreed:

And thanks for your response

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

You guys are depressing when you're right

e: so what's the most realistic way to counter the tide of stupidity? I think prop rep would help but won't do any good if better policies don't reach voters

Beat the stupidity? That's harder but more STEM, better teachers, higher quality graduates. Richer societies tend to be more compassionate. Acknowledge and embrace the stupidity? That's easier, a leaderier leader, certainly in horwath's case, maybe a one strike you're out policy because the left is always too nice to replace their leaders. Top of my head, draft Cullen or Eby. People don't follow policy or platforms, they follow people look at goddamn Trudeau. Beaverton hit on that yesterday, https://www.thebeaverton.com/2018/09/ndp-consider-replacing-jagmeet-singh-with-one-of-their-other-nationally-known-charismatic-mps/

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

ocrumsprug posted:

I wasn’t really paying attention to the Ontario provincial election, but I am confident that the PCs won because more people in Ontario voted for them than one of the other parties. I know that is uncomfortable to hear if you are a resident of Ontario. Sorry.

More people voted for the PCs than a single other party, but more people voted for all other parties than for the PCs.

Parties getting majorities through FPTP go on to run amok like bulls in a china shop. Funny how that works. :thunk:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Source: Fair Vote Canada

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

Source: Fair Vote Canada

If you're going to do that, you should show the preferential ballot/equal riding system that elected doug ford over elliot too.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
why? that was an internal party affair, you'd be hard pressed to translate those results into the general election

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

why? that was an internal party affair, you'd be hard pressed to translate those results into the general election

Because the numbers would be fun, it was actually probably like 10 "voters" that gave us ford over elliot. The message is that you should join all political parties and vote in their leaderships because your votes count there enormously more than the general elections even though you might not like all the choices but that's true of general too.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Because the numbers would be fun, it was actually probably like 10 "voters" that gave us ford over elliot. The message is that you should join all political parties and vote in their leaderships because your votes count there enormously more than the general elections even though you might not like all the choices but that's true of general too.

this is good advice, though directly against the parties membership agreements. of course, we must respect the sanctity of ~*contracts*~

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

this is good advice, though directly against the parties membership agreements. of course, we must respect the sanctity of ~*contracts*~

another bonus, our empowered voter could potentially be the first person ever to have some kind of consequence for breaking that agreement.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

vyelkin posted:

you forgot "not-lovely media"

all these things sound bad for corporations though, so it's "impractical"

Yinlock has issued a correction as of 20:34 on Sep 11, 2018

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

aaag dude, read jpag's twitter thread.

the judge ruled that bill 5 violated our section 2(b) charter rights. basically, campaigning and voting are free expression, and changing the rules in the middle of the election violated our right to that. the notwithstanding clause can make exemptions in the case of section 2 rights, and that's why we're boned.

there was also some awkward poo poo about effective representation that probably didn't directly tie in to a charter violation but was used to support the other arguments, realistically this would probably lose on appeal, but DoFo has too much of a hardon to wait for that, so they went nuclear instead.

the province originally argued that they can do whatever the gently caress when it comes to municipal elections, and they are not in any way covered by the charter. the judge disagreed and said that while they can abolish the municipal government, or change its makeup at will, since they created it and it exists now, the changes they make must adhere to the charter such as it can be applied to people's right to free expression via voting.

or in short: it would be fine(legally) if they waited until next election to do this, but ford wants it NOW so welp

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they could have passed this on october 23rd with narry a peep (well, lots of peeps, but no actual grounds for a challenge), but that would mean four whole years of a 47 ward toronto, and doug just couldn't abide that.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

What are you, some sort of dairy farmer?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Yinlock posted:

you forgot "not-lovely media"

all these things sound bad for corporations though, so it's "impractical"

The only way the Canadian media can improve at this point, I think, is to continue to support smaller organizations like Canadaland and chip away at the entrencehd media class of pundits who get an unparalleled platform to spout dumb poo poo without major editorial oversight. And I say that while acknowledging that Jesse Brown's venture is far from perfect.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dreylad posted:

The only way the Canadian media can improve at this point, I think, is to continue to support smaller organizations like Canadaland and chip away at the entrencehd media class of pundits who get an unparalleled platform to spout dumb poo poo without major editorial oversight. And I say that while acknowledging that Jesse Brown's venture is far from perfect.

another good step would be to actually have major editorial oversight

also, banning nazis from tv

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
luring Ezra Levant away with the promise of a cask of fine amontillado would be a start

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Yinlock posted:

another good step would be to actually have major editorial oversight

also, banning nazis from tv

hilariously we might actually have a decent shot at this between hate speech laws and "only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society."

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Eox posted:

luring Ezra Levant away with the promise of a cask of fine amontillado would be a start

i'd just straight-up jail him as a terrorist personally

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i would jail a lot of right-wing agitators as terrorists

this is probably why i don't run a country

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

The real bad guy here is first past the post I guess but that was there from the start. PCs had enough support to win from the start and nothing changed it. PCs need less support to win than the NDPs because of efficient voter distribution so they were certainly the underdogs. Charitably, the NDP failed to communicate their platform or make it appealing. Realistically, most people did understand the ndp platform, messaging and core values and still just voted PC or Lib because they aren't interested in that kind of thing and just want to afford a bit more groceries or porsches or grolsches every week. I guess they're kind of political scabs? I think it's day dreaming to think that this election was the ndp's to win if only the libs hadn't X, you're giving too much non existent progressive credit to the people who showed up to vote. NDP were never going to win.

The NDP struggles to win because they aren't seen as credible not because their policies are disliked. People in the burbs don't trust the NDP because they think the NDP are a bunch of union thugs, bleeding hearts and women with pink hair.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Helsing posted:

they think the NDP are a bunch of union thugs, bleeding hearts and women with pink hair.

well, i mean, they're not wrong.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Yinlock posted:

i would jail a lot of right-wing agitators as terrorists

this is probably why i don't run a country

Id vote for you

And under prop rep you mught even have a chance

freckle
Apr 6, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
bleeding heart union thugs with pink hair :swoon:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

at one of the locals i work with, the financial secretary has a shirt that says "Union Thug", which he wears to meetings occasionally.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Helsing posted:

The NDP struggles to win because they aren't seen as credible not because their policies are disliked. People in the burbs don't trust the NDP because they think the NDP are a bunch of union thugs, bleeding hearts and women with pink hair.

Oh hi dad. Yeah there's that too, I can see educated professional progressives voting nat des rosiers over lyra evans. Sometimes, the ndp has a problem getting credible candidates.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/nowthisnews/status/1039914786283114496

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao
https://twitter.com/sarahalidigital/status/1039918248987308032

they ended up clearing the gallery because people kept coughing every time the premier spoke.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hey, we found the one time Conservatives are comfortable putting old white people in handcuffs

https://twitter.com/TorontoStar/status/1039895022458621952

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

hey, we found the one time Conservatives are comfortable putting old white people in handcuffs

https://twitter.com/TorontoStar/status/1039895022458621952

crazy, next thing you know they won't let you bring air horns in either

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

crazy, next thing you know they won't let you bring air horns in either

free speech motherfucker

*brrrrt*

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Handcuffs belong in government, not in bedrooms

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

doug ford sweeps into the PM office after running on a platform of federal buck a beer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

lmao. Bill loving Davis is calling out Ford for being an irresponsible little poo poo with the notwithstanding clause

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

lmao. Bill loving Davis is calling out Ford for being an irresponsible little poo poo with the notwithstanding clause

"Most experts say that Ford is on firm legal ground."

Nice, it's like climate change where it's really complicated and I don't understand it so I'll just go with expert consensus on this one.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

this has been discussed to death, his invocation of s33 is entirely legal, there was never any question of that. it's just also a really loving dumb reason to do it

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Uhm, how the is that spray supposed to stop a bear if it can't even incapacitate one bong wielding stoner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the devil weed gives them super strength and their drug addled brains cannot comprehend pain

geez, it's like you didn't even watch reefer madness