Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Marvel can put anyone in games, but they buried the FF because they didn't have the movie rights and banned mutants from games. Only recently have the X-Men been showing back up, so the FF will be back soon.

I expect since the game was made during that period, they were told that the Baxter Building was off limits but the Marvel heroes were fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

Marvel doesn't have the rights to FF gear? because they're currently publishing a comic named Fantastic Four. And I don't think the movie deal ever applied to videogames since the FF are in both Ultimate Alliance games.

didnt they have to pull ff out of the marvel diablo game cuz of licensing weirdness

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The important thing is that Ike Perlmutter is a racist, misogynist, bitter terrible old man and that's why all of this is even happening.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Skwirl posted:

That's why I hoping for it in the DLC. I know the first one is Black Cat centric but we don't have much info on the other ones.

The second DLC is called Turf Wars, so presumably it's gang stuff, and the third is Silver Sable-focused.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

site posted:

didnt they have to pull ff out of the marvel diablo game cuz of licensing weirdness

They halted sales and changed any item names and flavor text and NPCs uses of them, but people could keep the characters.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
WTF, Laura Bailey is Mary Jane? She usually has that Steve Blum thing going on of being instantly recognisable but I didn't pick up on it at all here.

This is the only non-traditional costume I will ever accept.

:colbert:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I don't see a hoodie, therefore no.

That Deadspin article is gaining traction and it's really annoying.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

SonicRulez posted:

I don't see a hoodie, therefore no.

That Deadspin article is gaining traction and it's really annoying.

That's what you get when you make Spider-man a cop.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

That's what you get when you make Spider-man a cop.

Yeah helping out the cops and being cool with one police official does not equal cop. It's like saying batman's a cop because he's buddies with commissioner gordan.

The surveillance system is creepy poo poo though. I think they wanted a tower mechanic and didn't think through the implications on that one.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 12, 2018

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Monaghan posted:

Yeah helping out the cops cops and being cool with the police official does not equal cop. It's like saying batman's a cop because he's buddies with commissioner gordan.

The surveillance system is creepy poo poo though. I think they wanted a tower mechanic and didn't think through the implications on that one.

They did. They just had Jonah be the one who screams about it

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Spider-Man has always been a cop.

He's the coppiest superhero.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/YourAnimeGuy/status/1039509453756760066

Aphrodite posted:

Spider-Man has always been a cop.

He's the coppiest superhero.

No that's definitely Batman.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am pretty sure the Coppiest superhero is The Punisher.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Hey MayorOsborn and Sable - LEAVE :golfclap: SPIDER-MAN :golfclap: ALONE :golfclap: YOU :golfclap: COWARDS

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I am pretty sure the Coppiest superhero is The Punisher.

Yeah it's this

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Skwirl posted:

It's a bit weird, since there's Avengers tower and as far as I know zero references to the Avengers existing outside that.

I'm hoping, since they are currently working on the DLC there might be some reference to the FF. Maybe in a sequel where they help Spider-Man get rid of a certain black suit.

When you snap a pic of the tower, Peter mentions that theyre never around anymore. Then makes a west coast avengers reference.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

When you snap a pic of the tower, Peter mentions that theyre never around anymore. Then makes a west coast avengers reference.

There's also references to them in some of the character bios you unlock.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I've seen speculation that if they're gonna go forward with the shared universe idea, the reference to the WCA means the Avengers game is gonna be the original Secret War.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I just want them to take the base engine here and make a new Hulk: Ultimate Destruction game.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
I wish they would put out an Ultimate Alliance 3. Like loving go big or go home. Go cosmic with that poo poo...Guardians, Nova, bring back Silver Surfer, Beta Ray Bill skin for Thor.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Speaking of Ultimate Alliance, I was replaying the first game a couple of months ago and I got to the mission where you team up with Corsair and man that really dates this game. I can’t remember the last time the Starjammers were in anything, I think they just straight up got replaced by the Guardians

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Scrap Dragon posted:

Speaking of Ultimate Alliance, I was replaying the first game a couple of months ago and I got to the mission where you team up with Corsair and man that really dates this game. I can’t remember the last time the Starjammers were in anything, I think they just straight up got replaced by the Guardians

They were in X-Men Blue when the OG team went into space.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They’re also in that big teaser image for the new Guardians of the Galaxy, but yeah; they got replaced as Marvel’s resident dysfunctional space family.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Open Marriage Night posted:

They’re also in that big teaser image for the new Guardians of the Galaxy, but yeah; they got replaced as Marvel’s resident dysfunctional space family.

Did they ever explain how Corsair came back to life after being killed by Vulcan?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

pubic works project posted:

Did they ever explain how Corsair came back to life after being killed by Vulcan?

His girlfriend got him back with the techno-organic virus the Phalanx use, which was why he was on "medication" in the Cyclops mini that Greg Rucka wrote.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

pubic works project posted:

I wish they would put out an Ultimate Alliance 3. Like loving go big or go home. Go cosmic with that poo poo...Guardians, Nova, bring back Silver Surfer, Beta Ray Bill skin for Thor.

Didn't Ultimate Alliance 1 have a BRB skin for Thor? Could've sworn it did...

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

I haven't played it in forever, but I'm pretty sure you're right.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

TwoPair posted:

Yeah, just about every character had a skin where it was technically a different character with similar powers. So Thor had Beta Ray Bill, Cap had US Agent, Iron Man had War Machine, etc. For Magneto it was Xorn.

Edit: Which was one of the reasons UA2 sucked, everyone just had one alternate costume and it was usually something really bland. While UA1 had everyone (with the exception of Silver Surfer) with 4 different costumes.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Scrap Dragon posted:

My fave dating of Ultimate Alliance is it was obviously written during the period right after Winter Soldier first appeared by before they revealed he was Bucky so he's villain through and through in the game.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
It's always fun when you get little time capsules in a video game like that.

Similar: one of Cap's alternate color palettes in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is the alternate-universe Cap from the Age of M crossover, which has basically been memory-holed since then.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

How long was there between Winter Solider showing up and the Bucky reveal? It’s been a while since I read the run but it can’t have been that long

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Finished the game. Need to lie down again.

I like this Spider-Man universe they've set up. It's what I always want in an adaptation. It's different enough to notice, but familiar enough to feel right. Very good game. Even got the Platinum.

Still never learned to dodge.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Retro Futurist posted:

How long was there between Winter Solider showing up and the Bucky reveal? It’s been a while since I read the run but it can’t have been that long

It's very quickly after he shows up. It's always made me think that they were given information about the character (like what he looks like a very very basic backstory (like he and cap have a 'history' but not what that history really is)) but never given the twist. Just re-watched the two times he shows up in the game and yeah, the dialog is very much "unrepentant villain" with allusions to the fact that Cap knows Winter Soldier more intimately than someone like Batroc but you don't have Cap recognizing or calling him out as Bucky. But you also figure Winter Soldier's time as an actual villain in comics is maybe a year to 18 months of published books so the window is very small.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Lurdiak posted:

No that's definitely Batman.

Ah, but in the third game, Batman beats the crap out of cops on Gotham, so...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/wigu/status/1040963747026743298

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Looks like that's been deleted. What was it?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

A funny joke about the Spider-man game.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Speaking of, clocked it. My gut has been well and truly punched, goddamn.

:cry:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I finally unlocked the Taskmaster challenges and these are loving bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I finally unlocked the Taskmaster challenges and these are loving bullshit.

Literally the only thing about the game I dislike