Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perick
May 27, 2003
GoonGrrrls = Teh WIN

EL BROMANCE posted:

Isn't the 3 major things

* OLED screen (I have an OLED TV, it rules and it'd be nice if my phone had it too but not essential)
* Better Camera (I have a good DSLR/lenses for when I need to take something better than cellphone quality)
* No 3D Touch (I don't have it on my 6 anyway, so wouldn't miss it)

I'm sure there'll be full breakdowns to see if there's anything more than this, but I'm not seeing $250 of value for myself.

My thoughts exactly. I went through the spec compare on Apple's site and fail to see $250 value for me. Hell I was getting close to just going with a Moto G6 because gently caress paying $1,000 for a cell phone.

Now, if AT&T makes me a trade in offer on my iPhone 7 like they did with my 6, then I'll go with an XS/XSMax because I only paid $100 for my 128gb 7 at launch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

RiP AirPower lmao

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

3D Touch in order to preview WhatsApp msgs without actually triggering the “seen” check mark is worth 250 bucks to me

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Does the 8 have portrait mode? My wife still uses a 6s and literally the only reason she wants to upgrade is for portrait mode. She also wants to keep a home button, so the 8 seems like the best bet if it has portrait mode.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

American McGay posted:

There will never be another SE, which is exactly why I'm going to buy some new-in-box while I still can and keep my small phone dream going for the next 10 years.

:hfive:
I wonder when this big-junk plague will end… I just can't be soon enough.

Probably right about the time they figure out that just touching the phone to unlock it was the best idea ever and all “improvements” they've hallucinated since should be rolled back because they're just stupid.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

3D Touch in order to preview WhatsApp msgs without actually triggering the “seen” check mark is worth 250 bucks to me

I thought ios12 basically converts all of this into long press?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh wow, that's weird.

I was confused at the end of the keynote when they showed that they've got fuckin' 6 models of the iPhone they're currently selling: 7, 8, XR, XS and XS Max.

Haven't they usually stuck to 3 or 4 at a time?

I was sure that when they announced the 3rd new X model, they'd phase out the 7 (and maybe even the 8), but nope :thunk:

They used to keep the product line pretty small, but as the phones have gotten more powerful they’ve remained viable for longer, so they keep more older models around for budget-minded customers. They’re actually selling one fewer model right now than they were a week ago.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Does the 8 have portrait mode? My wife still uses a 6s and literally the only reason she wants to upgrade is for portrait mode. She also wants to keep a home button, so the 8 seems like the best bet if it has portrait mode.

Only on the 8 Plus

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Preordering the Xs Max

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

EL BROMANCE posted:

Isn't the 3 major things

* OLED screen (I have an OLED TV, it rules and it'd be nice if my phone had it too but not essential)
* Better Camera (I have a good DSLR/lenses for when I need to take something better than cellphone quality)
* No 3D Touch (I don't have it on my 6 anyway, so wouldn't miss it)

I'm sure there'll be full breakdowns to see if there's anything more than this, but I'm not seeing $250 of value for myself.

Also a better LTE modem. "LTE Advanced" vs "4x4 MIMO".

There might be more stuff hidden in the specs, I hope somebody writes up a good comparison soon.

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
I was going to upgrade but screw that now. The pricing is just absurd.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

fourwood posted:

They don't "zoom" like a P&S camera, you can just switch between the 2 different ones, and one is more zoomed in than the other. So, like, you can't dial it in to be halfway in between. It's either zoomed in or it's not.

You can pinch to zoom in and out and go between 1x and 2x zoom.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Much like last year, my wallet is happy that the new phones look like an incremental upgrade at best.

The only thing which would compel me to upgrade my 7+ is if the 2018 phones were durable enough to use without any sort of case. Of course, now that they all have glass backing, that probably wont ever happen. But nothing seems compelling enough to take the upgrade jump. This is an odd problem to have!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

buglord posted:

Much like last year, my wallet is happy that the new phones look like an incremental upgrade at best.

The only thing which would compel me to upgrade my 7+ is if the 2018 phones were durable enough to use without any sort of case. Of course, now that they all have glass backing, that probably wont ever happen. But nothing seems compelling enough to take the upgrade jump. This is an odd problem to have!

tbh I've noticed that my X is the strongest phone I've had yet. I've dropped it on both concrete as well as gravel without a scratch. Might have gotten lucky, but my old iphones broke immediately if I dropped them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Oh wow, that's weird.

I was confused at the end of the keynote when they showed that they've got fuckin' 6 models of the iPhone they're currently selling: 7, 8, XR, XS and XS Max.

Haven't they usually stuck to 3 or 4 at a time?

I was sure that when they announced the 3rd new X model, they'd phase out the 7 (and maybe even the 8), but nope :thunk:

You're bad at counting. ;)

And your counting isn't the same as theirs. They essentially consider it four models now: 7, 8, Xr, Xs, though the 7, 8, and Xs each have two sizes. It's a dumb distinction, but it's actually fewer than they had yesterday (SE, 6S, 7, 8, X) even counting for different sizes. Historically, they've only kept three models, but that was also before they had a wide selection.

Anyway, I'm definitely not upgrading. My X is great, and nothing here is terribly exciting beyond a bigger screen. If they Xs was in fun colors, I'd at least consider it, but nah.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Does the new + model have any sort of split-screen apps in landscape mode?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Now I’m wondering if I could get the Xs with AppleCare+ and just not use a case.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Does the new + model have any sort of split-screen apps in landscape mode?
They showed landscape modes in apps working on it, but not like two apps side by side.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Can you still buy a new regular X anywhere? It's gone from Apple's site.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

mattfl posted:

You can pinch to zoom in and out and go between 1x and 2x zoom.

Kind of. Anything between 1x and 2x is just the 1x image blown up in software. There’s no real graduated zoom.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Software Update tells me iOS 12 is available? Downloading it right now.

Edit: looks like it’s only showing up for people already on the iOS 12 beta. Still though, all the other versions clearly stated beta and this one just says “iOS 12” with no mention of beta software.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Sep 12, 2018

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Not impressed. I guess I'll stick with my 6 for another year. I'm guessing I should not upgrade to iOS12 or my phone will implode from being too old?

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

willroc7 posted:

X is dead, so is the 6s and SE, non-Apple retail joints may still have stock, but good luck finding them. I also doubt that remaining stock will get very big discounts, since they usually don't.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.
Xs with the Xr red would be an instant buy. Without that I may keep my 6s for another year. Why make the cooler looking phones worse?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Weedle posted:

They used to keep the product line pretty small, but as the phones have gotten more powerful they’ve remained viable for longer, so they keep more older models around for budget-minded customers. They’re actually selling one fewer model right now than they were a week ago.

Endless Mike posted:

You're bad at counting. ;)

And your counting isn't the same as theirs. They essentially consider it four models now: 7, 8, Xr, Xs, though the 7, 8, and Xs each have two sizes. It's a dumb distinction, but it's actually fewer than they had yesterday (SE, 6S, 7, 8, X) even counting for different sizes. Historically, they've only kept three models, but that was also before they had a wide selection.

Anyway, I'm definitely not upgrading. My X is great, and nothing here is terribly exciting beyond a bigger screen. If they Xs was in fun colors, I'd at least consider it, but nah.
Oops :downs: lol

It still seems like that would be too many choices for the general public who don't follow details like specs, but what do I know!

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Megasabin posted:

Not impressed. I guess I'll stick with my 6 for another year. I'm guessing I should not upgrade to iOS12 or my phone will implode from being too old?

Honestly the other way around. iOS 12 should run better on the 6 than 11 did. They have really done a lot of work with 12.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Super Deuce posted:

Xs with the Xr red would be an instant buy. Without that I may keep my 6s for another year. Why make the cooler looking phones worse?

What’s the point of buying an expensive phone if I can’t show it off with a unique look.

I really don’t want to go bigger than the size of my 6s so I guess I’m stuck with the 8.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

willroc7 posted:

Sure, any retailer that's been selling it should still have it in stock.

Boris Galerkin posted:

What’s the point of buying an expensive phone if I can’t show it off with a unique look.

I really don’t want to go bigger than the size of my 6s so I guess I’m stuck with the 8.

The Xs is practically the same size as your 6s.

https://twitter.com/rhl__/status/1039969014301315072

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Are you guys dense or something? Colorful phones are for those who have less resources.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

Sure, any retailer that's been selling it should still have it in stock.

The Xs is practically the same size as your 6s.

https://twitter.com/rhl__/status/1039969014301315072

I don’t like that the only phone available is bigger than my 8, which is already too big.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Something Offal posted:

Are you guys dense or something? Colorful phones are for those who have less resources.

I own a tin mine, AND a diamond mine. I have plenty of resources. :smug:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Coming from a 7, Im tempted to upgrade to last year’s X. Is there any reason to get an XR over an X other than the A12? X gives you OLED screen, dual lens camera, and 3D Touch, which I don’t use for anything except to turn on night shift and adjust flashlight intensity from command center but those are SUPER useful.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

tuyop posted:

I don’t like that the only phone available is bigger than my 8, which is already too big.

If I could get current hardware in the 5 shell it'd be truly ideal. I have big hands. Large enough to palm a basketball easily. My 6s still requires me to adjust the phone in my hand to hit the back button. A cell phone should be easily functional with one drat hand. Stop making giant phones.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I am in for a 64GB Silver Xs Max. My phone mostly holds ebooks, so 256 and 512GB aren't that important.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Josh Lyman posted:

Coming from a 7, Im tempted to upgrade to last year’s X. Is there any reason to get an XR over an X other than the A12? X gives you OLED screen, dual lens camera, and 3D Touch, which I don’t use for anything except to turn on night shift and adjust flashlight intensity from command center but those are SUPER useful.

Apple isn't selling the X anymore, unless you mean from like Ebay or something.

I'd rather have the X than the Xr tbh

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Super Deuce posted:

If I could get current hardware in the 5 shell it'd be truly ideal. I have big hands. Large enough to palm a basketball easily. My 6s still requires me to adjust the phone in my hand to hit the back button. A cell phone should be easily functional with one drat hand. Stop making giant phones.

I don't have ultra-hands or anything, but same. I cannot physically read more information regardless of the size of the display, and pictures will ALWAYS look better on a screen bigger than anyone can comfortably carry around. I don't get the race to see who can finally find the size of phone people will stop buying because it's too big.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I remember a lot of people in here swearing by Inbox as the best mail app.
Well since it's an app bought by Google, obviously it's getting shut down.

quote:

While much of the tech world was focused on today's Apple event, Google dumped the news that it is killing another product. This time on the chopping block is Google's other email client, Google Inbox. Google announced today that its trailblazing, experimental email client will be shut down "at the end of March 2019."
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018/09/google-kills-google-inbox/

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

What in the ever loving gently caress inbox is amazing.

loving bullshit.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Question Mark Mound posted:

Looks like https://didgoogleshutdown.com is gonna need an update.

You can always trust google to kill something that people like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends
How long were people waiting for the X last year? I wonder if that is any indication of how long the delays on the 64gb Max are going to be.