Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Charlie Bobson posted:

goddamnit you company of heroes assholes i just want to fight titan, don't make me do an entire dungeon just to get some cheese for your rear end in a top hat boss

The cheese will return in hard mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Just got back to waking sands. Rip Noraxia, you were the best of us. As long as thancred and y'shtola are okay though, I'll be okay.

oh no blimp issue
Feb 23, 2011

Saint Freak posted:

There's a Doom you can only cure by healing the person to max hp, a Doom you can remove with esuna, and a Doom you can only remove by standing in certain areas.

The difference between these is 'gently caress you read a guide'.

Part of being healer is you are just going to make everyone wipe sometimes because you didn't psychically know you needed a specific role action.

Probably in Sastasha Hard

This and chains is the one of the worst things about mechanics in the earlier game, which doom is this? I DON'T KNOW!
Do I run towards or away with the chains? I DON'T KNOW!

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

Charlie Bobson posted:

Just got back to waking sands. Rip Noraxia, you were the best of us. As long as thancred and y'shtola are okay though, I'll be okay.

I had to think for a second to remember who that was.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Philonius posted:

I had to think for a second to remember who that was.

The lightest of them all...

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Rainuwastaken posted:

At this point I'm not really thinking about completing the relic, but I'm in it for the scraps of story and because my friends are all doing it. It's less "eureka is fun" at this point and more "hanging out with my friends is fun, and they're doing eureka".

Kinkshaming is not cool, friend
Really the best way to not get content like this again is to just not participate in it, even begrudgingly. If it stays populated, that's all the team behind the scenes needs to justify more, they don't care for any actual reasoning behind it. Find something else to do with your friends. Path of Exiles new league started a couple weeks ago and it's pretty rad.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

oh no blimp issue posted:

This and chains is the one of the worst things about mechanics in the earlier game, which doom is this? I DON'T KNOW!
Do I run towards or away with the chains? I DON'T KNOW!

To be fair there's only one fight with chains where you run towards your partner (Ifrit EX). Everything else you run away. Doom is all over the place even up to current content. Tsukuyomi EX has a Doom that you cleanse by standing in the right spot (admittedly you only get this if you fail a mechanic) and Ultima Weapon Ultimate has a Doom that you have to full heal to cleanse and those were both released in the same patch.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Makarov_ posted:

That aside, I've had party members tell me I should see a blue line above debuffs that are curable. I've seen screenshots of HUDs with that, but it definitely doesn't appear on my default HUD. Is there a HUD mod for healers anyone would recommend? Now that I'm past level 40, I have more abilities (including solo pet stuff) than can fit on two action toolbars. Can you recommend a setup that will let me display 3 at the same time?

There's a hud manager button on the escape menu. That lets you shuffle stuff around, turn bars off and on, and basically just screw with your hud to your heart's content. The only mods for this game are cosmetic things and a damage tracker, things that don't impact gameplay. This isn't wow.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

DizzyBum posted:

If chain-grinding 10 levels in Pagos in a single weekend with your buddies is fun, then have at it.

I imagine I would have had a fine time if I had a set group of people to chain mobs and do logs with. Every pubbie party I tried to join didn't know what the hell they were doing and the level spread was always too large to get any progress made.

I felt like I might've been able to get into Eureka/Pagos at the start, especially since I was on a bit of an old-school kick, but once I learned there wasn't any type of syncing (among various other problems), I left. I'm really shocked that they let that go through. They've built so much of their game around the philosophy of keeping old content vital and fresh to help newbies and keep the community together: roulettes, relic quests, syncs of all sorts, etc. And now they suddenly turn around and spit on all of that.

I mentioned old-school earlier and I think that's a good word for it: they tried to emulate old-school but just ended up making outdated gameplay. As AVGN said: old-school is something you can go back to, but outdated is something that should be gone for good.

Heck, now that I think of it, didn't FFXI realize the risk of the well running dry for newbies to get parties and made the Trust magic system to summon NPCs to help? Surprised we didn't get the ability to use Squadrons in Eureka. (I didn't play too much of FFXI so I might have this wrong)

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 12, 2018

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Charlie Bobson posted:

goddamnit you company of heroes assholes i just want to fight titan, don't make me do an entire dungeon just to get some cheese for your rear end in a top hat boss

Was it ever explained how they even fought Titan (or how anyone who didn't have the Echo fought primals) without getting tempered?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Ytlaya posted:

Was it ever explained how they even fought Titan (or how anyone who didn't have the Echo fought primals) without getting tempered?

Human waves tactics, with some of the waves designated to fight the earlier waves that were now tempered. You meet like 5 or 6 of the company of heroes but they were basically a full size army before they fought Titan.

Philonius
Jun 12, 2005

ActionZero posted:

Human waves tactics, with some of the waves designated to fight the earlier waves that were now tempered. You meet like 5 or 6 of the company of heroes but they were basically a full size army before they fought Titan.

Yup. Before you showed up it was Zap Brannigan tactics all the way.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Charlie Bobson posted:

While the ARR stuff is still pretty decent, things become dramatically better sorta towards the end of the pre-Heavensward content. I say this as someone else who just started playing through things fairly recently; I'm currently still in the post-Heavensward content. Speaking of which, I need to continue the story quests at some point; I've gotten distracted by this new Spider-Man game and have just been doing daily duties for my Scholar/Summoner each day. I figure once I get them to 60 (they're 58 now) I'll continue the MSQ (I'm pretty close to beating Spider-Man also).

ActionZero posted:

Holy poo poo, how did they get people to volunteer for the "guaranteed to die" waves? That poo poo's even worse than running out of a trench into machine-gun fire in WW1 or something.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 12, 2018

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Holy poo poo, how did they get people to volunteer for the "guaranteed to die" waves? That poo poo's even worse than running out of a trench into machine-gun fire in WW1 or something.

they're called the company of heroes, not the company of staying alive

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm sure most of the Company of Heroes went into things either expecting to die or hoping to be one of the five survivors.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
honestly the way they show the act of tempering is sorta dumb because it basically shows fighting a primal is 100% completely impossible without some sort of tempering-blocking mechanism. like, tempering seems to take zero effort on the part of the primal, why would it ever be possible for even a million soldiers to fight one? we're told that it happened but the way we've seen tempering it seems like the only way a primal could be beaten by Normals is if it got bored and gave up.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Ytlaya posted:

From what I recall it was a situation where if Titan wasn't stopped there and then, the Kobolds would have wiped out Limsa and everyone would have been tempered or dead anyway, and this was an elite army with families and friends who they wanted to protect.

There is a drat good reason why the survivors put you through so much poo poo to try to persuade you not to fight Titan, they're all traumatised from when they did.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
So when does this hugely tedious stretch of story happen? I'm assuming when I best Ultima Weapon, something I would have loved to have gone in without hearing about it first.

I also assume its not as bad as made out!

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

The main stumbling points are before Titan, before Garuda (i find this way worse than Titan, at least that had a fun dungeon and something of a plot excuse), and parts of 2.1 and 2.2 (though they have Moogle Mog and leviabeetus, so they're not all bad.)

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Safeword posted:

So when does this hugely tedious stretch of story happen? I'm assuming when I best Ultima Weapon, something I would have loved to have gone in without hearing about it first.

The part everyone talks about begins at that point, yes. There is a span of 100 quests between that point and the start of Heavensward.

It's not as bad as everyone like to moan about, but it isn't super great either. Definitely takes a turn for the better near the end as the plot ramps up to expansion stuff.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Safeword posted:

Once you beat the final dungeon of the base game and get your first credit roll. People make it sound worse than it is - it’s when the story starts getting legitimately compelling, imo, and you also unlock a universe of raids and dungeons and flavorful sidequests. There’s just also a lot of padding in the MSQ.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The general public in Eorzea appears to be unaware that tempering is a thing. Chances are most of the people that charged at Titan, at least in the first few waves, had no idea they were doomed.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Safeword posted:

It has a lot of subtle build-up that's not obvious on first glance, so despite things seeming like padding, there'll be a point things will ramp up and then there will be a large avalanche of dramatic developments. If you can, I recommend doing Hildebrand, Crystal Tower, and if you can find friends, Coil while you're running around doing the MSQ too cause those have lots of cool content and plot beats that eventually come back around Stormblood, and breaks up the slower moments during 2.x

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Safeword posted:

The big lulls are the lead up to Titan in your 30s and the 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 quests. You'll see 2.0's credits before you get to them. The expansion content is much better paced.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I bought my way past the post-ARR quests and have no regrets. 50 quests of running back and forth and back and forth may not have felt terrible to the people who played when they trickled out, but it's mind numbing now. The HW msq was good and post HW didn't feel as bad, but don't go hating the game because the veterans say you need to slog through that. It didn't feel to them the way that it feels to you. It's something that should have been fixed by the game devs, but no point I guess if it makes them money.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
To the goon that is going/just went through the titan lead up: Hold onto that feeling. Keep it stuck in your mind. You'll need it when you do the filler quest in unlocking the second 24 man in stormblood.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Thanks guys. :)

And yeah, I already got annoyed with the frequent trips back to the Scions (initial...) HQ and feared these stretches were going to be three weeks of that, or something.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Makarov_ posted:

Is there a HUD mod for healers anyone would recommend? Now that I'm past level 40, I have more abilities (including solo pet stuff) than can fit on two action toolbars. Can you recommend a setup that will let me display 3 at the same time?

There's no mods as such, aside from ACT triggers. You can modify HUD position/size to a large extent, however, and create setup that works for you. Here is an example of my 70 AST's setup:

My main goal when I set up UIs in an MMO is generally to try and centralize important information. The default UI positioning was fine when I was on my old 1280x720 monitor, but the screen real estate you have to cross to get to the top-left from the middle of the screen increases dramatically as you go up in screen size. Similarly, it's hard to keep an eye on the mob list for important casts when it's all the way over to the left.

My hotbars are two 12x1 bars stacked on top of eachother in the middle, and two 4x3 bars flanking them. For the most part, I've designed my keybinds so that my most frequently used buttons - things with little or no cooldown - are on the bottom rows, and my less-frequently used buttons - things with significantly longer cooldowns - are on the top rows. This makes it easier to do a quick scan down to watch for important cooldowns. Gauge information is up on the top to prevent too much clutter, and I've aligned a tertiary "dummy" hotbar around it so that I can keep an eye on two very important cooldowns for my class more easily than by glancing down. My target/status bars are probably the most unique (re: weird) part of my setup: I have my own status bar displayed above the target bar at a slightly larger scale, and the target's status bar below. It helps me to keep an eye on both of our statuses, but it's probably somewhat confusing to most people.

Really, the most important thing when setting up your UI is to do something that's comfortable and works for you. Experiment around a little bit with hotbar positioning and find something that both feeds you critical information easily while also not feeling cluttered or claustrophobic.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 13, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The post-ARR quests are great except for the 2.1 oh poo poo we had to delay leviathan quests which feature some stuff like "Uhhh go do Aurum Vale again"

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Vermain posted:

There's no mods as such, aside from ACT triggers. You can modify HUD position/size to a large extent, however, and create setup that works for you. Here is an example of my 70 AST's setup:

My main goal when I set up UIs in an MMO is generally to try and centralize important information. The default UI positioning was fine when I was on my old 1280x720 monitor, but the screen real estate you have to cross to get to the top-left from the middle of the screen increases dramatically as you go up in screen size. Similarly, it's hard to keep an eye on the mob list for important casts when it's all the way over to the left.

My hotbars are two 12x1 bars stacked on top of eachother in the middle, and two 4x3 bars flanking them. For the most part, I've designed my keybinds so that my most frequently used buttons - things with little or no cooldown - are on the bottom rows, and my less-frequently used buttons - things with significantly longer cooldowns - are on the top rows. This makes it easier to do a quick scan down to watch for important cooldowns. Gauge information is up on the top to prevent too much clutter, and I've aligned a tertiary "dummy" hotbar around it so that I can keep an eye on two very important cooldowns for my class more easily than by glancing down. My target/status bars are probably the most unique (re: weird) part of my setup: I have my own status bar displayed above the target bar at a slightly larger scale, and the target's status bar below. It helps me to keep an eye on both of our statuses, but it's probably somewhat confusing to most people.

Really, the most important thing when setting up your UI is to do something that's comfortable and works for you. Experiment around a little bit with hotbar positioning and find something that both feeds you critical information easily while also not feeling cluttered or claustrophobic.

Holy cats, my dude, why are your colors all so super saturated?

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
I got into the game late and did the HW run up quests in a lump and didn’t really notice the part of the game I was supposed to hate, but I am genuinely amused by stuff like having a quest line involving sniffing a Chocobo multiple times so I dunno. I did quit for a few months during the Garuda build up though.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Countblanc posted:

honestly the way they show the act of tempering is sorta dumb because it basically shows fighting a primal is 100% completely impossible without some sort of tempering-blocking mechanism. like, tempering seems to take zero effort on the part of the primal, why would it ever be possible for even a million soldiers to fight one? we're told that it happened but the way we've seen tempering it seems like the only way a primal could be beaten by Normals is if it got bored and gave up.

I think the implication is that tempering, especially big waves of aoe tempering, has a sort of internal cooldown or is otherwise not usable continuously.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

hey pals i have a question

when i first started playing the game as a trial account i made a character on Goblin, which at the time was a preferred world i believe. because of this i had the Road to 60 buff which i dug quite a bit. once i upgraded to the full game i made a new character on excalibur because that's where all my friends were playing.

that all happened around hmmmm... July 2017, I believe? i've come/go a couple times from the game since then, just playing on excalibur and not looking at Goblin.

today i've renewed my sub and, having heard through the grapevine that Goblin was still low population and has lots of player housing available, i checked my old character out of curiosity. it seems she no longer has the Road to 60 buff? my understanding of how Road to 60 works is you get to keep it until the world is no longer preferred. googling for world statuses, it seems Goblin is still currently preferred. does anyone know if the world became unpreferred for a while in the past year? or is there some other way you can lose the buff? would be fun to fart around on Goblin from time to time as an alt.

thanks!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

I think the implication is that tempering, especially big waves of aoe tempering, has a sort of internal cooldown or is otherwise not usable continuously.

Another important factor is that tempering also has a range. Otherwise a primal would just eat the world instantly, and we see pretty clearly that there's plenty of ways to fight outside of that range. The close-in soldiers might be getting controlled but that doesn't stop the thaumaturges from nuking them from a distance.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Personal preference. I like vibrant palettes over desaturated ones, though I can understand their likely reasoning for going with a desaturated art style (easier to spot ground telegraphs, more wiggle room in terms of saturation values for particle effects, etc.). I've managed to find a good point for my monitor where the colors only reach the extreme end of saturation in bright, direct lighting (such as in Limsa Lominsa during the day). Certain elements like some icons do get blown out, but I'm okay with that.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Reshade lets you mess with colors and other stuff. While it can spruce up some of the greyer parts of the game, it also affects your ui if you leave it on.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

ActionZero posted:

You gotta wonder how the kobolds feel now - last time their god took on an army and barely lost. This time, 8 chucklefucks kicked down the door and clowned on him.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm sure most of the Company of Heroes went into things either expecting to die or hoping to be one of the five survivors.

Historically that's how the first waves of a siege assault worked too

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by

Kaubocks posted:

hey pals i have a question

when i first started playing the game as a trial account i made a character on Goblin, which at the time was a preferred world i believe. because of this i had the Road to 60 buff which i dug quite a bit. once i upgraded to the full game i made a new character on excalibur because that's where all my friends were playing.

that all happened around hmmmm... July 2017, I believe? i've come/go a couple times from the game since then, just playing on excalibur and not looking at Goblin.

today i've renewed my sub and, having heard through the grapevine that Goblin was still low population and has lots of player housing available, i checked my old character out of curiosity. it seems she no longer has the Road to 60 buff? my understanding of how Road to 60 works is you get to keep it until the world is no longer preferred. googling for world statuses, it seems Goblin is still currently preferred. does anyone know if the world became unpreferred for a while in the past year? or is there some other way you can lose the buff? would be fun to fart around on Goblin from time to time as an alt.

thanks!

The same thing happened to me. Road to 60 only lasts for 90 days, so just make a new character if you're low enough to want the buff again. If that character is around 30-35 you can get through the rest of the MSQ without much hassle though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Makarov_
Jun 10, 2006

"It's our year" - Makarov_ January 2018

Charlie Bobson posted:

Thancred is a loving spy. I just know it. I've known it since he tried to pin the homeless murders on an innocent priest. And then conveniently was late to like 18 fights.