Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
It's been mentioned twice before in this exact thread but if the Pixel 3 isn't particularly interesting I'm honestly gonna look at finding a couple cheap new SEs and just use them for the foreseeable future. New phone tech is boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

AirPods make you look like an rear end in a top hat.

Not as effectively as idiotic comments like that do, though!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

American McGay posted:

It's been mentioned twice before in this exact thread but if the Pixel 3 isn't particularly interesting I'm honestly gonna look at finding a couple cheap new SEs and just use them for the foreseeable future. New phone tech is boring.

well the details and look of the pixel 3 already leaked, right?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

AirPods look and perform beautifully and are in my top 3 Apple products ever released I love them and will defend them to the death.

Seriously Apple better make these a forever product like the iPhone.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

AirPods look and perform beautifully and are in my top 3 Apple products ever released I love them and will defend them to the death.

Seriously Apple better make these a forever product like the iPhone.

Seriously not empty quoting this.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Very excited for the new iPhone

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I dunno. Maybe one more year iPhone 7 Plus. poo poo works fine to me. Maybe next time I'll get a super pretty smaller phone.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'll hang on to my 7 for another year and then get an 8, and then hope that the notches start disappearing.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
lol @ Apple very specifically choosing a wallpaper in all of their promotional materials that completely hides the ugly rear end notch.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Work provides me with a phone and we are on this update cycle, but I cant see them giving everyone that currently has a 7 an XS, or even an XR. the pricing on this refresh is incredibly bad given there aint that much new about them.

my 7 isnt even feeling slow after 2 years like my older devices have. if I was paying out of my own pocket, I wouldnt be upgrading this year, even coming from a 7 the feature set on the XS is not enough to justify it. Im probably gonna get an XR and be mad about its stupid size for 2 years.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

American McGay posted:

It’s looking about like what you would expect. Slightly better specs than the Pixel 2, bigger screen, smaller bezels, supposedly even better camera. Based on speculation alone I would get the cheaper Pixel 3 before any of the new iPhones. (But I’ll probably just stick with my iPhone 8).

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

iOS 12 is next week?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

After thinking on it on and off in the evening. And even jumping to Android I’m just gonna wait another year with my 7+. It takes great photos, still very fast and my battery is at 90% efficiency according to this thing.

It’ll let me save more too for whatever monstrosity comes out next year.

And yeah, hopefully the notch is gone too.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

MarcusSA posted:

What in the ever loving gently caress inbox is amazing.

loving bullshit.

Yeah this is stupid. I didn't even like Inbox but I liked it a hell of a lot better than the new web interface for gmail. \

I seriously don't understand why Google experiments so much and why they seem to enjoy messing with my emotions like this.

Google giveth and google taketh away.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Housh posted:

iOS 12 is next week?

Monday

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
If you’re on the beta remember to remove the profile unless you want to continue to be in the beta.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

So Verizon business still sucks for the AUP.

Glad I got that free sprint account

Yup, Verizon just doesn’t let Apple touch Business accounts. I’m assuming it’s over authentication issues; I’d be surprised if they change on this one.

Not sure if you’re a worker or if you have any control, but Verizon bus can sometimes get priority inventory if you talk to the right person for launch. Unfortunately, it’s very much who you talk to, and bus reps are super focused on new customers, so upgrades can get overlooked.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

asecondduck posted:

Apple's not alone here, this has been a super uninspired couple of years for smartphones. I wonder how close the bubble is to bursting?

There will be a features that could change it up, but it’s unknown and probably still not close.

Features I can think of:
-5G Internet
-week long battery
-foldable displays with a use purpose (can’t think of one yet)
-some useful function of Augmented Reality

But for better or worse, whatever shift hasn’t happened yet. Personally, if they ever solve battery life that will drive sales right there.

Edit: sorry for the double post.

American McGay posted:

Wonder what Apple will make a bigger margin on: one iPhone XS sale, or the goon next in line buying the remaining 3 iPhone SEs.

Duckman2008 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 13, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Duckman2008 posted:

There will be a features that could change it up, but it’s unknown and probably still not close.

Features I can think of:
-5G Internet
-week long battery
-foldable displays with a use purpose (can’t think of one yet)
-some useful function of Augmented Reality

But for better or worse, whatever shift hasn’t happened yet. Personally, if they ever solve battery life that will drive sales right there.

I think you're underestimating the importance of bezel free displays when it comes to upgrade cycles. It's just Android phones have already deep in that cycle whereas Apple is just reaching theirs (except for us X early adopters).

But if I had to guess the next 'must have' feature it'd be the foldable displays if it can be implemented right. That's a big if, since Sony had a foldable display years ago that went absolutely no where (not true foldable, just two screens on a hinge - as terrible as it sounds).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Laserface posted:

Work provides me with a phone and we are on this update cycle, but I cant see them giving everyone that currently has a 7 an XS, or even an XR. the pricing on this refresh is incredibly bad given there aint that much new about them.

my 7 isnt even feeling slow after 2 years like my older devices have. if I was paying out of my own pocket, I wouldnt be upgrading this year, even coming from a 7 the feature set on the XS is not enough to justify it. Im probably gonna get an XR and be mad about its stupid size for 2 years.

The XR is only $50 more than your 7 was at launch

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The true play is to wait until Best Buy/Target/Walmart start clearance pricing out the now-discontinued iPhone X :ssh:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think you're underestimating the importance of bezel free displays when it comes to upgrade cycles. It's just Android phones have already deep in that cycle whereas Apple is just reaching theirs (except for us X early adopters).

But if I had to guess the next 'must have' feature it'd be the foldable displays if it can be implemented right. That's a big if, since Sony had a foldable display years ago that went absolutely no where (not true foldable, just two screens on a hinge - as terrible as it sounds).

You’re definitely right that this launch of iPhones is the first big “change” Since the 6, so I do think that’ll drive people out to buy it. Not paradigm shift change it more what the debate is I guess.

I can never resist posting my favorite foldable display phone:

https://www.engadget.com/2011/04/13/kyocera-echo-review/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Duckman2008 posted:

You’re definitely right that this launch of iPhones is the first big “change” Since the 6, so I do think that’ll drive people out to buy it. Not paradigm shift change it more what the debate is I guess.

I can never resist posting my favorite foldable display phone:

https://www.engadget.com/2011/04/13/kyocera-echo-review/

I watched this whole david blane filled keynote live my friend
I was there for when sprint hyped up this event as their iPhone Killer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJxV1gFIrSo

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I might just replace the battery in my 6s and let the fucker ride. 999-1449 before tax for a cell phone, god drat.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Kyocera phones, but holy hell that's one ugly rear end smartphone.

And here you can buy a lot of 4 (FOUR) Kyocera Echos for $30 on eBay. What a bargain and apparently you can sideload up to Android 7.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Lot-Of...AsAAOSwWcRa1RAh

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

And here you can buy a lot of 4 (FOUR) Kyocera Echos for $30 on eBay. What a bargain and apparently you can sideload up to Android 7.

I don’t know about you all, but I know what phone I’m getting.

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf
Just going to echo the fact that I can’t afford Apple products anymore. 2012 macbook pro, original ipad pro, and iphone 8 forever I guess. Why does everyone want big phones too? Can’t even get the Xr. It’s kind of nice being free from the constant upgrade cycle I was on for years though. I guess they’re saving me money.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

FCKGW posted:

The true play is to wait until Best Buy/Target/Walmart start clearance pricing out the now-discontinued iPhone X :ssh:

I like this idea.

Barring that I'll probably grab the XR.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Yeah, how long til OS updates force a 6S to die?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

FCKGW posted:

The XR is only $50 more than your 7 was at launch

I tried to find that info but couldnt. Thanks.

still loving hate that I cant get a phone the size of the X at the price of the XR though. I dont want a significantly larger phone.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Currently still using a 6 I got in 2014 and thinking about getting an XR but I'm not sure about the full screen, bezel-less design. I'm worried it will be awkward to use and easier to break. The iphone 8 is only slightly cheaper and has worse battery life and won't be supported as long, so on paper the XR is clearly the better choice, but I'm still worried I'll miss my big bezels and clickable home button. Can anyone with an X tell me what their experience was like switching from older models?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

64bit_Dophins posted:

Yeah this is stupid. I didn't even like Inbox but I liked it a hell of a lot better than the new web interface for gmail. \

I seriously don't understand why Google experiments so much and why they seem to enjoy messing with my emotions like this.

Google giveth and google taketh away.

They're supposedly planning on implementing "bundling" into Gmail, which would be the last really unique feature of Inbox they haven't added. Batch archiving everything that isn't checked will be missed, but I'm sorta holding out hope they'll have an Inbox mode for normal Gmail.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

The biggest sin is that all the new case colours are so dull. Is the XS exactly the same dimensions as the X?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Pomplamoose posted:

Currently still using a 6 I got in 2014 and thinking about getting an XR but I'm not sure about the full screen, bezel-less design. I'm worried it will be awkward to use and easier to break. The iphone 8 is only slightly cheaper and has worse battery life and won't be supported as long, so on paper the XR is clearly the better choice, but I'm still worried I'll miss my big bezels and clickable home button. Can anyone with an X tell me what their experience was like switching from older models?

It's a thing of beauty and wonder. Apple got the gesture controls just right to the point that trying to use a iPhone 7 feels difficult and slow. I get annoyed whenever I tap the screen of my iPad and it doesn't wake up. I can't vouch for durability (my X has been fine with some slight bumps and small drops) but now that all iPhones have glass backs you're looking at the same breakabilty on the most expensive part whether you buy a bezel-free design or not.

Don't get an 8. Embrace the future.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

American McGay posted:

lol @ Apple very specifically choosing a wallpaper in all of their promotional materials that completely hides the ugly rear end notch.

Ha, yeah I thought this was hilarious as well. Although, I think the notch is completely fine and totally overblown.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I've had my X for months and I don't think I've ever been actively bothered or otherwise negatively impacted by the notch in any way. I guess every app I use regularly has been updated to be compatible with the X.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does anyone use the telephoto lens on their X very much? I finally watched the second half of the iPhone presentation and it tilted me toward the XR vs the X as an upgrade from the 7. Yeah, the X having OLED is nice but I won’t use portrait mode much. But the XR has the new sensor from the XS plus much longer battery life, and camera and battery life are the most important things to me.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I'm gonna lust after one, and I may cave and get one, but the XS Max for $1729CAD + Tax (%12!!) in 256GB is just too drat rich for my blood.

It is silly though because it is a piece of tech I use every day and oh god I'm justifying it already :ohdear:

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

Rolo posted:

I might just replace the battery in my 6s and let the fucker ride. 999-1449 before tax for a cell phone, god drat.

Do it, it still works great. The 7 was a tiny update and the 8 was as well. Unless you need Face ID and tiny bezels (lol) there’s no need to update. Save your money for something sensible instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Been looking forward to this announcement for a long time as my 6s is getting very long in the tooth and is in need of a replacement.

At the same time it looks like i am forced to swap to not-Apple since none of their new phones have a fingerprint sensor. gently caress.
The previous time i used Android, during iPhone 5, 5s and 6's era, it was still a huge loving mess of way too many options to configure and complete uncertainty if you would get further Android upgrades. I don't want to go back to that but i also need a fingerprint sensor. There is no way i am going to start inputting pin codes again to unlock all the apps i use daily.