Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hunt11 posted:

So in this threads opinion, how was FF15?

It was the anti-final-fantasy. Bad story, decent gameplay. Overall a fairly okay game, nothing really great, and it really feels like it loses steam towards the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Good soup! posted:

Eh, I always had a soft spot for it, the boss themes are great though imo

The battle theme in Cross is one of the most irritating songs and it's made worse by having to hear it again and again and again

I was thinking about RPG battle music that gives me the impression of "did they not listen to this the 500 times the game expects you to?" and Final Fantasy 13 has to be the worst

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Verranicus posted:

So did Halo ever do anything good again after Reach (the best Halo) or was it all downhill from there?

Extremely no. 343i are unbelievably incompetent and have hosed everything up possible at every turn. The story after Reach is pants-on-head stupid and awful, and they made a bunch of changes nobody asked for.

Halo stopped with Reach and "halo 4" and "halo 5" are bad call of duty games with a halo skin. Just... ugh.

Meanwhile Bungie keeps trying to do Destiny but can't get it right. They really should have just stuck to what was making them rich.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Like I'm not even a huge Halo fan and still thought Reach was A Very Good Game. I'm not sure you really -can- follow that up with something better.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Verranicus posted:

Like I'm not even a huge Halo fan and still thought Reach was A Very Good Game. I'm not sure you really -can- follow that up with something better.

Even just more of the same would have been pretty cool though. 4 is aggressively awful, as is 5.

Also they're STILL patching the master chief collection which is just a mess of bugs.

Reach was really great though, showed some character and let them branch away from the chief & cortana. ODST was also really good, underrated game. Something about its name and how it was marketed turned me off, it was all "HOO RAH ODST!" which sounds super militaristic, but in reality ODST was kinda Halo: Noir which is pretty rad.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Even just more of the same would have been pretty cool though. 4 is aggressively awful, as is 5.

Also they're STILL patching the master chief collection which is just a mess of bugs.

Reach was really great though, showed some character and let them branch away from the chief & cortana. ODST was also really good, underrated game. Something about its name and how it was marketed turned me off, it was all "HOO RAH ODST!" which sounds super militaristic, but in reality ODST was kinda Halo: Noir which is pretty rad.

despite not being super into shooters, i played coop halo with one of my roommates several times and definitely enjoyed odst the most thanks to the quiet city intercutting missions

The Moon Monster posted:

I played all of the GBA/DS Castlevanias and Harmony was without a doubt the worst by a significant margin. It was initially exciting because it was such a graphical/movement upgrade from Circle of the Moon, but it ended up feeling really half baked imo. In retrospect Circle was probably in my top 2 or 3, especially if you were playing it on something with a back light.

Games where you kill tigers and grizzlies and poo poo bum me out.

i really wish circle of the moon either let you start in wizard mode or just gave those dumb cards drop rates that aren't insane

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Zaphod42 posted:

I think Reach's soundtrack sold it, along with the story being a downer pretty much the whole way through but still super interesting even if you knew how it was going to end.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Saint Freak posted:

*record scratch*

Haha, yeah that's me. Bet you're wondering how I got into this situation.

lol

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Verranicus posted:

I think Reach's soundtrack sold it, along with the story being a downer pretty much the whole way through but still super interesting even if you knew how it was going to end.
yeah reach is just a really well put together package, in general. ODST also. bungie got really good at storytelling, which is weird when so many of their games are completely allergic to telling stories

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Sitting in a concert hall waiting for them to start playing final fantasy music right now

The program says they'll announce the songs on stage which is super unusual. The normal vocalist isn't credited though so I'm worried that there won't be any songs with non-choir vocals

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Sep 13, 2018

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

homeless snail posted:

yeah reach is just a really well put together package, in general. ODST also. bungie got really good at storytelling, which is weird when so many of their games are completely allergic to telling stories

Yeah Halo 3 is probably still one of my favorite games of all time

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Ask Me About: buying a weapon in DQXI and finding a copy of it in a chest 20 seconds later.

Most of those 20 seconds were saving after the purchase

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wish red faction guerrilla wasn't basically the only game offering its whole brand of building destruction afaik

it's still a really fun game but it's a bummer that nothing else really picked up what it put down

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012

Relax Or DIE posted:

Ask Me about : buying a weapon in DQXI and finding a copy of it in a chest 20 seconds later.

I think I've bought maybe 3 things total in the game and I'm in the post-game. I just wait for new recipes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Relax Or DIE posted:

Ask Me about : buying a weapon in DQXI and finding a copy of it in a chest 20 seconds later.

Does DQXI have the alchemy pot? Because that has been my favorite stuff since 8.

I feel like the running intent with Dragon Quest's design compared to other JRPGs is getting over the fact that you don't really need to buy all the equipment. It can be frustrating to get expensive treasures in chests but you just sell it and move on because everything is intentionally too expensive.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
It's got a forge you can use

And I'm gonna have to stop shopping because I now have to save money for gambling

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

Sitting in a concert hall waiting for them to start playing final fantasy music right now

The program says they'll announce the songs on stage which is super unusual. The normal vocalist isn't credited though so I'm worried that there won't be any songs with non-choir vocals

Are people dressed up or is it a casual affair?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Jay Rust posted:

Are people dressed up or is it a casual affair?

No cosplays that I see. It's like a real concert hall being played by a major orchestra so some people are dressed fancy but also it's final fantasy so most people aren't

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

played sexy brutale and man I kind of wish I had given up when it started crashing constantly right before the ending, cause it very quickly goes from a game I loved to a game I merely like. first 4 hours is a very intriguing puzzle/adventure game that never quite takes its mechanics as far as it could, but clearly building up to something, and then rather than paying off in mechanics the last hour is suddenly a cutscene exposition dump?? the story ended up being pretty okay but it really wasn't what I was there for

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
They indeed did not have their vocalist so no Eyes on Me or Answers which is sad. Highlight of the concert was the ff6 opera

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

homeless snail posted:

played sexy brutale and man I kind of wish I had given up when it started crashing constantly right before the ending, cause it very quickly goes from a game I loved to a game I merely like. first 4 hours is a very intriguing puzzle/adventure game that never quite takes its mechanics as far as it could, but clearly building up to something, and then rather than paying off in mechanics the last hour is suddenly a cutscene exposition dump?? the story ended up being pretty okay but it really wasn't what I was there for

I thought the ending sucked and it soured me on a game I was loving up until that point

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Relax Or DIE posted:

And I'm gonna have to stop shopping because I now have to save money for gambling

Relax or DIE, we're all worried about you. It's ok to admit you have a problem.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I thought the ending sucked and it soured me on a game I was loving up until that point
I was just kind of dumbfounded by it, because up to that point it wasn't really a big narrative game. you got like 3 lines of dialogue after saving each person and that's it as far as cutscenes go. and of course you could follow people around and listen in on conversations, they never say much of value but it is a whole lot more interesting than the cutscenes

the most disappointing thing for me though is that the puzzles never really progress in complexity, they almost all require you to get one piece of information and then manipulate one item which comes up real short in terms of what they could have done with the premise. I solved one of the puzzles by accident even, without even knowing how the characters were supposed to have died, lmao. the very last people you save have by far the most interesting puzzle because, shockingly, it has two steps to solve instead of just the one.

as I made it to the garden I thought for sure the ending was going to involve saving everyone in one go, suspicion built when immediately after you unlock fast travel and completely reveal the map. and it turns out that is in fact what's going on, except you get to watch your player character do it in a cutscene and the only use for the fast travel is to finish collecting the collectibles before the ending?? holy lmao

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Looper posted:

despite not being super into shooters, i played coop halo with one of my roommates several times and definitely enjoyed odst the most thanks to the quiet city intercutting missions

i really wish circle of the moon either let you start in wizard mode or just gave those dumb cards drop rates that aren't insane

Well there's a bug that lets you use them even if you haven't found them yet, I think I always just used that for the more annoying ones.

The Colonel posted:

i wish red faction guerrilla wasn't basically the only game offering its whole brand of building destruction afaik

it's still a really fun game but it's a bummer that nothing else really picked up what it put down

I think it's a "nemesis system" type situation where the systems are so demanding in terms of development that that has to be the entire point of the game or it's not worth doing.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Well there's a bug that lets you use them even if you haven't found them yet, I think I always just used that for the more annoying ones.

I think it's a "nemesis system" type situation where the systems are so demanding in terms of development that that has to be the entire point of the game or it's not worth doing.

Crackdown 3 if it ever comes out is supposed to have Red Faction level destruction but I don't know if Microsoft is still POWERED BY THE CLOUD or not.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I dunno what to play now, I'm feeling empty after finally beating every Yakuza game available in English.

I guess I do have that copy of Kenzan I've tried to play on and off for years...

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There's that Fist of the North Star game in a few weeks that I'll buy probably

or you could Shenmue

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Already platinumed both Shenmue games when the HD versions came out but yeah I'm just treading water until FotNS really

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The Colonel posted:

It is my understanding that it was excessively difficult to design buildings in that engine because if you didn’t make them actually architecturally sound they would just collapse under their own weight. I’d bet that’s why you don’t see it more often.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

al-azad posted:

Crackdown 3 if it ever comes out is supposed to have Red Faction level destruction but I don't know if Microsoft is still POWERED BY THE CLOUD or not.

i heard it got taken out of singleplayer

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I need help remembering a game. I’ll try here then take it to the dedicated thread.

It’s a SNES game where you play a white guy infiltrating Dracula’s Castle(?) but it plays more like Prince of Persian or Flashback than Castlevania. To attack you put your fists up in a fighting stance and throw punches. Your life gauge is several tall crystals. The first boss is a werewolf(?). I thought it was just called Dracula, but that doesn’t exist and Brad Stoker’s Dracula is a different game.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

nosferatu

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This thread is amazing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
hey all it's me brad stoker, but you can call me stokes

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
New Trials game beta this weekend :getin:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I love it when people call him "Stroker"

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The Colonel posted:

hey all it's me brad stoker, but you can call me stokes

:stoked:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i remember it clearly because it was one of those many, many games featured in nintendo power that was absolutely incredibly the hottest, spiciest trash available but since the magazine was basically a nintendo game advertisement catalog they hyped it to hell and back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Relax Or DIE posted:

That's the experience of every Dragon Quest game.

• Locked thread