Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

So I got into a stupid Internet argument with some Nazi ex-coworkers and also saw Jeremy Saulnier's new movie this week.

Hold the Dark is a weird mood piece/noir story. I think I enjoyed it? I don't have Netflix so that influenced my decision to pay a premium to see its premiere at TIFF but I didn't stay for the cast and crew Q&A. The last time I did that it was Paul Schrader rambling for 15 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

CPL593H posted:

This kind of reflection is never a good thing to do because a lot of people have created really good poo poo when they were under 30.
Yeah but theres a difference between "I never reached those heights at that age" and "I know that I'll never reach those heights at any point in my life".

The only saving grace I can think of (for my self esteem) is that PTA has never bettered Boogie Nights.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

It's not as much envy, just it's loving impressive when someone makes a great work of art when they're young. Is it the lack of experience or perhaps the hubristic confidence of a younger person?

And I don't feel too bad considering I managed to write a feature-length screenplay when I was 21.

Gorn Myson posted:

The only saving grace I can think of (for my self esteem) is that PTA has never bettered Boogie Nights.

welp

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Reminds me of a thing I read where Quentin Tarantino and Edgar Wright were talking about their first movies, Tarantino was jealous that Wright had made his first movie, A Fistful of Fingers, when he was only 20, while Tarantino was 32. Wright’s response was that he wished his first movie was Reservoir Dogs.

Everyone forgets My Best Friend's Birthday (Tarantino was 24), and what's left of it is actually pretty dang good. Think better than/actually good version of a Kevin Smith movie.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
So if American Graffiti is different groups of characters in a single day in early 1960's
And Dazed & Confused is the 1970's

What are the best ones for the 80's, 90's and 00's?

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Alrighty, Dailymotion of the Day is the rare original, pre-Redux version of Wong Kar-wai's underrated deconstruction of the wuxia genre Ashes of Time, with none of the digital color grading, the original score, deleted fight scenes, and all those classic 1990s HK sound effects:

Part 1
Part 2

It's pretty poor quality but it's probably the best it's ever going to look at this point. It's got a stacked cast, convoluted plot (it helps knowing it serves as a prequel to a famous wuxia novel, with its villain as the protagonist), and fight choreography by Sammo Hung ... undercranked and step-printed into expressionistic blurs in WKW's signature style.

Double feature it with either Chungking Express, which Wong Kar-wai filmed while in the the middle of this film's massive post-production process, or The Eagle Shooting Heroes (now streaming on FilmStruck) which is a cheap bizarre parody of the source material the studio made with the same cast in order to recoup some money as Ashes of Time ran over budget and over deadline.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Franchescanado posted:

So if American Graffiti is different groups of characters in a single day in early 1960's

White 90s Go?

Black 90s House Party

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Franchescanado posted:

Do the Right Thing, 25th Hour, Can't Hardly Wait.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Franchescanado posted:

The 90s one is definitely that high school party movie with Jennifer Love Hewitt. I think it's Can't Hardly Wait, but I get a lot of those movies confused with each other.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The 90s one is Magnolia probably.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!

Franchescanado posted:

Richard Linklater just released Everybody Wants Some!!! as sort of an 80's-based successor to Dazed and Confused. It takes place over one weekend, not one day though.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

90s is definitely Slacker.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Vargo posted:

Richard Linklater just released Everybody Wants Some!!! as sort of an 80's-based successor to Dazed and Confused. It takes place over one weekend, not one day though.

Isn't it supposedly dogshit, though?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
This is a confusing question because if we're talking about movies that take place in a day portraying a time period and are counting movies that were made in the period they're about then technically American Grafitti is that movie for the 70s and Dazed and Confused is that movie for the 90s. If it's not this then none of the ones you guys list count with the exception of Everybody Wants Some.

edit: Never mind this is technically not correct either but I think you guys will get what I mean.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
So I'm watching this Argentinian movie from 2017 called 27, el club de los malditos, and while it's kind of too precious and hyperactive for my taste (like Guy Ritchie, but not as tight or polished), but it does have some really astounding production design and cinematography.

This is just the first screenshot I took, the rest of the movie isn't black-and-white, this is just a part that flashes back to Sid of the Sex Pistols

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 13, 2018

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
The 2014 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie kind of owns???

It's like the anti-Avengers.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's pretty good, if a bit laid back in terms of pacing.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

It's basically Dazed and Confused-lite where all the characters are unlikable bros.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The action is better than the rest of the tmnt's combined, and paired with the turtles obvious African American styled designs, Raphael's last speech makes it a really great movie for people of color.

Splinter's fight kicks rear end.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Explaining a lot, this movie 27 is co-written by Alex Cox, of Sid & Nancy and Repo Man fame.

Also, here's a tidbit on the director Nicanor Loreti's previous film Kryptonita:

quote:

The plot is based on an idea in the Elseworlds style (belonging to DC Comics ), where Kal-El / Superman's ship does not land in Smallville , but in Isidro Casanova , a town in the De la Matanza Party , in Argentina. From there, Superman grows and becomes Nafta Super, a " superhero " of the slums and the poor, as well as his criminal gang, which also becomes a particular version of the Justice League .

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah, it ain't bad at all. The sequel is pretty blah though.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

bushisms.txt posted:

The action is better than the rest of the tmnt's combined, and paired with the turtles obvious African American styled designs, Raphael's last speech makes it a really great movie for people of color.

Splinter's fight kicks rear end.

Even the fact that New York is actually inhabited by people rather than just empty cars stands out.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
I really should give TMNT '14 another shot.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It's very okay.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
There is now a thread about Mandy

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

K. Waste posted:

I really should give TMNT '14 another shot.
I'm glad I keep forgetting that these sorts of reboots exist, it gives me peace of mind that they have no effect on my quality of life at all.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

CelticPredator posted:

I'm gonna try and do something.

Do it.

Speaking of which if any one is down to read the new script I co-wrote let me know. Need some fresh eyeballs and we wanna shoot next summerrrrrrr, first feature. Should be ready in a week.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gorn Myson posted:

Anyone else rewatch Boogie Nights, find themselves stunned by how perfect it is and then get insanely jealous and slightly depressed when they realise that PTA was 27 when it was released?

Think of all the music Otis Redding made in his career then consider that he died at age 26.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Jimmy Hendrix invented what we know as stereo sound before he died at 27. We're all failures.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
I mean Orson Welles made Citizen Kane at 25....

Chantel Akerman made Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles also at 25

Sex Lies and Videotapes at 26

Spike Lee Do The Right Thing at 32

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

bushisms.txt posted:

We're all failures.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

What book are they talking about?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Wheat Loaf posted:

What book are they talking about?

Jurassic Park.

Mostly because the scenes where Nedry feels his slippery intestines spilling out of him and Wu gets eaten alive are 'hecking rad'.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gorn Myson posted:

Yeah but theres a difference between "I never reached those heights at that age" and "I know that I'll never reach those heights at any point in my life".

You’re entitled to your stupid, ignorant and foolish opinions but while Boogie Nights is indeed excellent, it’s no muthafucking There Will Be Blood.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Boogie Nights is, regardless of its position in the PTA filmography, the best movie Mark Wahlberg has starred in, and it is funny to me that he only ever seems to mention it nowadays in the context of lamenting that he hopes God will forgive him for being in it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No that’s pain and gain

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Death By The Blues posted:

I mean Orson Welles made Citizen Kane at 25....

Chantel Akerman made Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles also at 25

Sex Lies and Videotapes at 26

Spike Lee Do The Right Thing at 32

Alexander the Great had created one of the world's largest empire before he was 30

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The average director makes his first feature at 30.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

CelticPredator posted:

No that’s pain and gain

No that's The Other Guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah but lots of beloved writers only published their first novel in their 40s or 50s so we've all still got a chance.

• Locked thread