Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My Ollie's didn't get a lot of Marvel books. They got a handful of recent Duggan Deadpool TPBs, some Ms. Marvel, DeConnick Captain Marvel, and Squirrel Girl, hardcovers of Millar's Civil War and Bendis' Age of Ultron, a bunch of Dark Tower stuff, and not much else. Not the mother lode I was hoping for. Their DC shipment a few months ago was mostly weird castoffs nobody would want, but there were some gems in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The DC stuff matched up to the massive clearance Diamond ran last year, I guess they finally realized retailers were never going to buy all that poo poo that was made redundant by new editions. Or those Casey Blue books. I'm sure this Marvel closeout came from Diamond as well.

Edit:

Did anyone need the Starman Omnibus HCs 1, 2 5 or 6? I ended up with dupes of those.

No, I don't have a #3 or 4.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 07:47 on May 28, 2018

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Is the new Spider-Man omnibus by Bendis any good? I read the older one from 2000(?) and I didn't like it much; art was okay story was a bit too "meh". This new one any better?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Is it Ultimate SpiderMan? Generally that's Good Bendis.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm guessing obi_ant means the Miles Morales one out this month. Can't guarantee you'll like it, but I think it was a great run up to Secret Wars. Pretty uninteresting after that, but it looks like the omni is all pre-Secret Wars.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Looks like Usagi Yojimbo: The Special Edition came out in soft cover. Can't seem to find any picture online though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

obi_ant posted:

Looks like Usagi Yojimbo: The Special Edition came out in soft cover. Can't seem to find any picture online though.

I have that one. It's two softcovers in a slipcase.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Anyone know how long the Goon Library Edition Volume 3 has been out of print? I was going to buy them as soon as I loaded a grip of amazon giftcards, and now I see it's going for crazy prices now. I could have swore it was just available.

Edit: camelcamelcamel seems to indicate it was no longer available from amazon directly around may 20th. :(

Shawn fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 27, 2018

Generic Person
Sep 17, 2006
Did the Ex Machina omnibus get canceled?

I was waiting for it to release this week, but it didn't show up on IST on wednesday and now it's off their coming soon when you look under dc by searching by publisher.

Amazon still has it listed for the 17th.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Some of you guys have used custom binding companies, right? Where could I find more info about that?

I've got the two Witchblade compendiums (issue #1-50, and #51-100) and their bindings were poo poo to begin with, and I'd prefer to have them re-bound properly before they disintegrate.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Xenomrph posted:

Some of you guys have used custom binding companies, right? Where could I find more info about that?

I've got the two Witchblade compendiums (issue #1-50, and #51-100) and their bindings were poo poo to begin with, and I'd prefer to have them re-bound properly before they disintegrate.

I use Herring & Robinson for my comic binding; but I've never had them do a rebind on an existing book. I think the biggest issue would be losing some of the inner edge to the spine binding.

That said, if you shoot them an email, I've always gotten responses back within a day or two and they entertained literal days of "I am new to this please explain it like I'm 5" types of questions from me when I first starting having stuff bound by them.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

As it turns out, the Abe Sapien hardcover that came out this month (The Drowning & Others) collects the first, second and ninth Abe Sapien TPB. With the two hardcovers that came before (Dark and Terrible) collecting TPBs three through eight.

I'm glad that all Abe Sapien stories are finally available in hardcover, but why did Dark Horse shuffle them around like this? :raise:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

JordanKai posted:

As it turns out, the Abe Sapien hardcover that came out this month (The Drowning & Others) collects the first, second and ninth Abe Sapien TPB. With the two hardcovers that came before (Dark and Terrible) collecting TPBs three through eight.

I'm glad that all Abe Sapien stories are finally available in hardcover, but why did Dark Horse shuffle them around like this? :raise:

Trades 1,2,9 are one shots or minies. 3-8 are from the Abe Saipan series

Mike Danger
Feb 17, 2012
Yeah, my understanding is Dark Horse bundles up the Hellboy-universe stuff in plot order in the omnibuses, not in the order the trades came out.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I live in Canada and would appreciate a recommendation for a couple heavy duty shelving units, please. I have many omnibuses. Keep in mind I don't have an IKEA anywhere near me.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I live in Canada and would appreciate a recommendation for a couple heavy duty shelving units, please. I have many omnibuses. Keep in mind I don't have an IKEA anywhere near me.

Learn basic carpentry and cut down your own tree?

If you don't care about looks at all I would find a going out of business sale somewhere and buy the industrial shelves. Or (ugly) wire garage shelving from home depot or Amazon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A cursed image for you all.

https://twitter.com/WriterVrai/status/1028750394887831552

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The worst.

So hey, I picked up the Hickman Avengers Omnibus v2 so I have the Avengers V1 & V2 by Hickman, New Avengers V1 by Hickman, Infinity and Avengers Time Runs Out OSHCs that I no longer need and would sell for dirt cheap if anyone wants. It's like $230 in HCs and I'd let em go for $100+ shipping.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Berserk got hit with this really badly. Dark Horse changed their spine design for manga when they were 38 volumes deep into publishing Berserk. Reprints of the older volumes use the new spine design as well, so you see a lot of collections that look like this now:

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

The fourth picture (Gunsmith Cats) isn't fair. The first two books are omnibuses that are made of the material in the last 4 and the second three are from the sequel series. It's like being mad that an Avengers omni has a different binding than the trades that it's comprised of and also some New Avengers trades.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Just finished reading SHIELD: The Human Machine by Hickman. If I'm understanding this correctly, they merged all of the timelines together and that is what caused the collapse / convergence in Avengers by Hickman? I don't remember if they ever touched on why the Earths started to collapse in the first place. Overall Avengers (2nd omnibus) as a whole was a bit confusing and I got lost at some parts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

obi_ant posted:

Just finished reading SHIELD: The Human Machine by Hickman. If I'm understanding this correctly, they merged all of the timelines together and that is what caused the collapse / convergence in Avengers by Hickman? I don't remember if they ever touched on why the Earths started to collapse in the first place. Overall Avengers (2nd omnibus) as a whole was a bit confusing and I got lost at some parts.

Didn't the Beyonders start the collapse on purpose?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Rhyno posted:

Didn't the Beyonders start the collapse on purpose?

If I remember the Beyonders set up the Molecule Man to basically be a multi-universe bomb to see if they could destroy everything at once and when Doom and Molecule Man went back to bomb the Beyonders, that is what kicked it all off.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Just finished the Secret Invasion omnibus. Pretty good, the binding was pretty nice, didn't have too much gutter loss in it. I liked that they covered a lot of the in between stuff before the major arc too. Overall it was a pretty good purchase.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ollie's keeps getting stacks of books. I just picked up Graphic Ink: the Art of Frank Quitely for $9.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
They didn't have the Darwyn Cooke one, did they?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Nope, that one sold out at Diamond long before the warehouse clearance that lead to this.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rhyno posted:

Nope, that one sold out at Diamond long before the warehouse clearance that lead to this.

Any exciting upcoming Omnis we need to know about? I know you don't work in a comic store anymore, but you have the finger on the pulse, often.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm still in a couple retailer groups but I stopped paying attention to most of them. I'm currently focusing on the DC omnibus HC line and picking up a lot of used books off Amazon to fill holes.

Still have about 200 books I need to flip though.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think people were looking forward to this:

DC Impulse omnibus cancelled cause their scans look bad on the glossy stock or something.
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/09/10/impulse-omnibus-cancelled-nineties-paper-colour-files/
Will be out in a few big trades instead.

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
The new "BEHOLD... GALACTUS" collection is... big.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Is that really just 6 issues for 50 bones because they printed it art sized?

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
No. It's 14 issues (FF #48-50, #74-77, #120-123 and #242-244).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I wonder what they're doing for the art. If it's just great big pages of digital flat colouring on crisp white paper, that'd be a shame, but I guess it's not really some archival edition either.
Gimme some gigantic fuckin' misaligned cmyk dots!

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran

Teenage Fansub posted:

I wonder what they're doing for the art. If it's just great big pages of digital flat colouring on crisp white paper, that'd be a shame, but I guess it's not really some archival edition either.
Gimme some gigantic fuckin' misaligned cmyk dots!

It is, sadly, the former. I guess you can have 2/3 of "huge", "cheap", and "fancy".

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

drat that looks cool. Would pair nicely with that Maximum F4 book with the one panel per page gimmick. Which I also don’t have.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm kind of bummed that there are no OSHC collections of N52 stuff.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

This is slightly off topic, but I'm not sure where else to ask...

As a hobby my wife writes in her spare time. She has written a few full length novels, but just keeps them to herself. As a gift I'd like to have one of them printed into a physical copy. Something simple like the ones displayed in the OP:

I know this thread is typically for binding, so I wasn't sure if anyone knew of a way to have the book printed / finished so it looks like a real book? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Rhyno posted:

I'm kind of bummed that there are no OSHC collections of N52 stuff.

None of it was good sooooo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Parts of it were good! Shut up you meanie!