Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Like how Colonel Sanders didn't properly start KFC until he was over 60.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Harrison Ford was in his late 30s/early 40s when he made Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

Although I have this conspiracy theory that he’s about 10 years younger than he claims to be, as his first on camera role he was “24” but looked like a teenager, and has always looked younger than his age. My thinking is, he lied about his age to get his first job, and it’s all been spiraling from there on.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Oh everything else is brilliant too (haven't seen Inherent Vice yet) but none of them have ever been as funny or charming as Boogie Nights is. I know its nearly 3 hours long, but its one of those movies that I could always be in the mood to watch, whereas There Will Be Blood or The Master are far more intense experiences.

And you're right in the first part of this post too.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Coffee And Pie posted:

Harrison Ford was in his late 30s/early 40s when he made Star Wars and Indiana Jones.

Did a lot of famous actors used to break through when they were older? For example, Gene Hackman got his breakout role when he was about 37 and I don't think he really became a leading man until after French Connection, by which time he was in his early 40s. Or would that sort of thing be an outlier?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've still got two years to hit the average which us doable.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Wheat Loaf posted:

Did a lot of famous actors used to break through when they were older? For example, Gene Hackman got his breakout role when he was about 37 and I don't think he really became a leading man until after French Connection, by which time he was in his early 40s. Or would that sort of thing be an outlier?

At the very least, they used to make a lot of movies about older men, whereas women would still get famous in their early 20s. I’m sure this is a product of misogyny but I just woke up so I’m too tired to connect those dots.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I think you could probably point to any era and find plenty of cases of (male) actors breaking out in later life—but it also depends on what you mean by breaking out. Christoph Waltz springs to mind for me as having his star rise at 53, but he was a working actor for his entire adult life on television. Christ Pratt didn't become a movie star until he was 35, but he was in a beloved sitcom for years before that.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
the homeless guy with the voice of a TV announcer didnt get his big break til he was like 60 so dont lose hope yall

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Charles Laughton was 56 when he made his first and only film The Night of the Hunter.

Also, Luis Bunuel was in his 60s and 70s when he made his best-known films.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Egbert Souse posted:

Charles Laughton was 56 when he made his first and only film The Night of the Hunter.

Laughton had been very successful as an actor (won an Oscar for that movie where he was Henry VIII) for many years before that, though.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Alan Vega was 39 when Suicide’s first album was released.

Coffee And Pie posted:

At the very least, they used to make a lot of movies about older men, whereas women would still get famous in their early 20s. I’m sure this is a product of misogyny but I just woke up so I’m too tired to connect those dots.

Men can basically act whenever, but a large number of women in the entertainment industry get big in their 20s but see their roles decline once they approach their mid-30s, and then after that they get typecast as maternal figures of some kind.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

There is an army of people out there that think this exact thing, imo it's the main reason the Marvel films are well recieved by nerds.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Egbert Souse posted:

Speaking of, rewatched it recently. It's a masterpiece, absolutely. But man is it janky on a technical level, even by the standards of the era.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There is an army of people out there that think this exact thing, imo it's the main reason the Marvel films are well recieved by nerds.

They're also often a lot older than you'd guess.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Nah, I'd guess they were all 35-55. It's happening in a lot of nerd type activities right now, as the hardcore get older but haven't changed their intellectual diet in the slightest, their main concern is agitating for being pandered to.

Remember all the people that said IW was good because it traumatized children?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

While the MCU films are certainly more faithful adaptations of the comic stories than, say, the Schumacher Batman films, they're hardly direct translations of the comic book stories into movies. Watchmen was extremely close to the source material and nerds were pretty lukewarm on that one. I don't think your theory stands up to scrutiny.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

This is what nerds actually believe.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Egbert Souse posted:

Also, Luis Bunuel was in his 60s and 70s when he made his best-known films.

Buñuel deserves special credit for consistently being an incredibly acclaimed director all the way from his first work in 1929 to his final film in 1977. Not many directors can claim to have been at the top of their game for nearly 50 years.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Speaking of, rewatched it recently. It's a masterpiece, absolutely. But man is it janky on a technical level, even by the standards of the era.

I'd be curious to hear you elaborate on that, because I think it's one of the most masterfully crafted films I've ever seen.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Nah, I'd guess they were all 35-55. It's happening in a lot of nerd type activities right now, as the hardcore get older but haven't changed their intellectual diet in the slightest, their main concern is agitating for being pandered to.

Remember all the people that said IW was good because it traumatized children?

Terrifying.

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'd be curious to hear you elaborate on that, because I think it's one of the most masterfully crafted films I've ever seen.

I'm sure these are intentional decisions, but some of the cuts and sound looping I would definitely define as 'janky'. For instance, the abrupt cut after Mitchum gets his fingers stuck in the door and he clams up immediately in the next shot. And the audio looping after he gets shot near the end and runs for the barn.

I love the movie dearly, probably because of these decisions. But they're still interesting decisions worth noting.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lurdiak posted:

While the MCU films are certainly more faithful adaptations of the comic stories than, say, the Schumacher Batman films, they're hardly direct translations of the comic book stories into movies. Watchmen was extremely close to the source material and nerds were pretty lukewarm on that one. I don't think your theory stands up to scrutiny.

They're not talking about direct translations, they're talking about having lawyers enforce fancasting wishlists. The point is not to have the films directly translate the comics, it's to "do it the right way", i.e. transpose the fantasy that reading comic books provide from page to screen. It's not your job to interpret, your job is to porter.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I'm sure these are intentional decisions, but some of the cuts and sound looping I would definitely define as 'janky'. For instance, the abrupt cut after Mitchum gets his fingers stuck in the door and he clams up immediately in the next shot. And the audio looping after he gets shot near the end and runs for the barn.

I love the movie dearly, probably because of these decisions. But they're still interesting decisions worth noting.

Oh, I see what you mean. The Night of the Hunter definitely violates a lot of conventions in editing and (audio) design that we expect a film to uphold, but I think these jarring elements add to its unique mix of straight drama and fairy tale. It presents a world in which a man like Harry Powell is somehow both a disturbingly realistic portrayal of a scam artist/murderer and a fantastical boogeyman who acts like a cartoon character when cornered without resolving these contradictions or without them even coming across as contradictory to the audience.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

They're not talking about direct translations, they're talking about having lawyers enforce fancasting wishlists. The point is not to have the films directly translate the comics, it's to "do it the right way", i.e. transpose the fantasy that reading comic books provide from page to screen. It's not your job to interpret, your job is to translate.

There's also an element of purification involved, I think. Making a movie out of a comic book allows elements of the story or characters that are deemed unnecessary or unpalatable to be burned out. This started when Marvel created the Ultimate Universe as a way to capitalize on the original Spider-Man and X-Men movies. Fanboys already yearned for movies to make "legitimate" entertainment out of their childhood obsessions. Now they go one step further and want comic books to be passed through the filter of Hollywood blockbusters so they can have the most popular and therefore most "real" version of their favorites. They want to wring every ounce of shame out of their fixation, and it's working.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

I fuckin’ hate adaptation absolutionists, but I don’t think there’s any connection to the Marvel fanboys - they constantly claim that they love the MCU because it “truly brings the original comics to life” while ignoring fundamental differences like the (until recently) lack of Spider-Man or Wolverine, or they’ll praise the changes to things like Thanos’s motivations or Tony Stark’s alcoholism. The accuracy of the adaptations is usually used as a smokescreen for something else for Marvel fans.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm not totally convinced self proclaimed comic book fans do more than skim the series they buy week to week.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
A lot of them do less than that. Comic fans are notorious for having large pull-lists of stuff they never read.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Samuel Clemens posted:

Oh, I see what you mean. The Night of the Hunter definitely violates a lot of conventions in editing and (audio) design that we expect a film to uphold, but I think these jarring elements add to its unique mix of straight drama and fairy tale. It presents a world in which a man like Harry Powell is somehow both a disturbingly realistic portrayal of a scam artist/murderer and a fantastical boogeyman who acts like a cartoon character when cornered without resolving these contradictions or without them even coming across as contradictory to the audience.

Agree completely.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Detective No. 27 posted:

This is what nerds actually believe.

Maybe they should've picked a book that wasn't complete poo poo for their example.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Maybe they should've picked a book that wasn't complete poo poo for their example.

Actually, I think it's an ideal pick for their argument. Because those movies don't make a goddamn lick of sense if you haven't read the books.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
The rub is that it actually makes it look like the movie is, in both breadth and depth, a reasonable proportion of the book. Like, everything that's left out is literally marginalia.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

I'm not totally convinced self proclaimed comic book fans do more than skim the series they buy week to week.

The thing is that comics fans don't like the comics either, so the movies are perceived as 'fixing' them - creating the real version.

The Disney trick of naming these things "Civil War" or "Age of Ultron", or other familiar titles, is that nerds will automatically have an enormous wikipedia backlog of information with which to generate speculation and hype. "How are they going to fix this garbage series?"

It goes back to the origin myth of the franchise, where Iron Man was a garbage "D-List" superhero who nobody ever heard of, but now we have the real version. The movie fulfills the unrealized potential of the comics. And so Disney must be given ownership of all other properties so that they can 'fix' the Wolverines and the Blades and the Fantastic Fours....

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah but lots of beloved writers only published their first novel in their 40s or 50s so we've all still got a chance.

Brett Easton Ellis was like 21 when he published Less Than Zero.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I think the point was to talk about good authors and directors.

e: Like Raymond Radiguet, who published his debut novel at 16.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Local theater chain announced its October lineup, and the first three movies are Night of the Living Dead, a mystery slasher movie, and... motherfucking Wicked City, one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. At least the rest of the lineup is pretty solid.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

I think the point was to talk about good authors and directors.

e: Like Raymond Radiguet, who published his debut novel at 16.

Less Than Zero, Rules of Attraction and American Psycho are all amazing books.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

Less Than Zero, Rules of Attraction and American Psycho are all amazing books.

How's the prose?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I suppose on the other hand, two authors whose novels I enjoy a lot are Raymond Chandler and Rex Stout, who were both in their 40s before they became full-time writers of fiction. Elmore Leonard had been a jobbing writer for decades and was 60 when he finally got his big break.

I imagine the same "rules" as apply to acting vis-a-vis age won't apply to writing, though. Completely different endeavours.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What are some of y'all's favorite unproduced screenplays from yesteryear? I'd love to read some of the great "what could have been" films that never came to be.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

The original matrix reloaded script has the 100 man fight literally pile up thousands of corpses from Agent Smith casualties and then the kid from the animatrix shows up. Also agent Smith has a rad pony tail.

Almost Blue
Apr 18, 2018

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Local theater chain announced its October lineup, and the first three movies are Night of the Living Dead, a mystery slasher movie, and... motherfucking Wicked City, one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. At least the rest of the lineup is pretty solid.

The anime Wicked City or the live-action? I haven't seen either, but I've heard some good things about the live-action one.

Almost Blue fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 13, 2018

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

The average director makes his first feature at 30.

This is kind of my goal. See if it pans out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

feedmyleg posted:

What are some of y'all's favorite unproduced screenplays from yesteryear? I'd love to read some of the great "what could have been" films that never came to be.

They’re actually producing my favorite so I won’t say that one, but the Jack Black Green Lantern script is worth a read.

Also that Shane Carruth script that never got made.

• Locked thread