Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Drawing in the graveyard with my sketching meetup group like a bunch of goths being goth...

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Could probably nit-pick this until the heat death of the universe, but I’m calling it

Sharpest Crayon
Jul 16, 2009

Always Wag. Always Friend. Very Safety.
Clapping Larry

I am LOVING all these heckin' chonkers! :kimchi: Tummy rubs imminent!

Now I wish I'd gone with a bit meatier approach.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Frown Town posted:

i dig it, oils?

rip charlie, my ghost cat.

Yep.

Sorry about your kitty. :(

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
More figure drawing offerings for the figure drawing god

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
This is from a while ago but I did another nautical-themed linoleum print. The registration of the colors worked out a lot better compared to the mermaid print but I'm not happy with how the colors turned out, I want to do it again with some different colors.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

SexyBlindfold posted:

More figure drawing offerings for the figure drawing god

Anatomy for the throne of anatomy?

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Drawing pokemon is fun so I kept doing it but also here's a contest entry for an indie game.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Completed my full-size sketch for a commission for a friend.

A running gag. Jogging through the sex swamp.

Final version is gonna be shaded.

Edit: there are a few areas with some minor visual tension I'll address when I transfer to the final piece

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 11, 2018

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I drew something I can actually post here

I'm trying to develop a style I like with flat colours. See this year I actually wanna do the Inktober/Drawtober/whatever it loving is prompt list since I've always been jealous of it. Rendering full pics takes forever though, and my sketches look like trash, so I think this could turn into a nice middleground.

Its a style inspired by those medieval woodcuts. I'd like to refine it more but I don't know any artists that do similar work to give me an idea of where to take it.

gmc9987 posted:

This is from a while ago but I did another nautical-themed linoleum print. The registration of the colors worked out a lot better compared to the mermaid print but I'm not happy with how the colors turned out, I want to do it again with some different colors.

No joke I'd be sorely tempted to buy this if I saw it in a store.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Grabbed a piece of cheap rear end printer paper and a micron pen and sketched some animal skulls.

I'm not great at identifying skulls

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
Can I share my kid's?

Theokotos
Jan 22, 2015

Fallen Rib

Flavius Aetass posted:

Can I share my kid's?

:kingsley:

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
It's been a long time, but I've been feeling the urge to draw lately. So I started last night drawing my dog at the foot of the bed.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Flavius Aetass posted:

Can I share my kid's?

:science:

I've declared this month Septexture, because every month has to be a horrible word mashup.

I was all outside and drawing plein air like a real artist, but then it became le air minging so I went inside and drew in a corner.

'Eh'.

Really enjoying the texture-practise though, it's like the opposite of the manga-bollocks I grew up drawing.

lofi fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 11, 2018

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Pokemon dogs are fun and good.

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~
I've never had more than one commission slot filled at a time and now I've somehow filled 4 and it's a scary. Here's the WIP on the first one:

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

I've apparently spent 3h drawing this drat pineapple. I deeply regret placing it in front of my keyboard: not only is it a bastard to draw, I kinda want to leave pineapple and keyboard in position till I'm done sooooo I'm typing round a pineapple forever.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

my buddy Superfly posted:

Pokemon dogs are fun and good.

Hyenas ain't dogs!!! :mad:

Also not dogs: Elephants.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
this one is taking me fuckin FOREVER

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Felt like drawing a hoity-toity face:

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Al! posted:

this one is taking me fuckin FOREVER

It looks really really good so far, though.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Watched a moderndayjames video about rotating imagined heads in space as a practice drill and gave it a whirl.

Very difficult! Every head looks different, oof.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Scoss posted:

Watched a moderndayjames video about rotating imagined heads in space as a practice drill and gave it a whirl.

Very difficult! Every head looks different, oof.

One good trick is to start with the most basic poses (front and profile) and then rotate from there. This gives you two fixed images to interpolate between, which is easier to cognitively map. This also lets you figure out the specific features of the face that you want to maintain as you rotate. An example in yours is the chin. In poses 1 and 5, the chin is fairly recessed, giving an inwards slope from the nose to the bottom of the chin in pose 5. In poses 3 and 4, however, the chin juts out strongly, creating an outwards slope that makes it look more pronounced and masculine. If you create the two static front/profile poses ahead of time, you can then look for differences in the rotated poses by thinking about them feature-by-feature.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Pentaro posted:

Also not dogs: Elephants.

Everyone can be dogs. :colbert:

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
A two-color quickie, about as close to a daily doodle as I've gotten in a print

ThePlague-Daemon
Apr 16, 2008

~Neck Angels~

Pentaro posted:

That hyena is explicitly a pooch. This is canon.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

It's been a while, hello, thread.

Been on flights again recently, which turned out to be the only time where I managed to draw as of late. Nothing amazing either, but at least it's something.

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

Ugh, I hate pineapples now. And keyboards.

Love cats though. :3:

I'd forgotten how satisfying I find mono.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

Vermain posted:

One good trick is to start with the most basic poses (front and profile) and then rotate from there. This gives you two fixed images to interpolate between, which is easier to cognitively map. This also lets you figure out the specific features of the face that you want to maintain as you rotate. An example in yours is the chin. In poses 1 and 5, the chin is fairly recessed, giving an inwards slope from the nose to the bottom of the chin in pose 5. In poses 3 and 4, however, the chin juts out strongly, creating an outwards slope that makes it look more pronounced and masculine. If you create the two static front/profile poses ahead of time, you can then look for differences in the rotated poses by thinking about them feature-by-feature.

Because I'm a genius of course, I started with one of the three-quarter perspectives and kind of winged it from there. One of the reasons I wanted to try this exercise is because I have difficulty with reliably inventing feminine jawlines and being forced to execute on them across a progression of perspectives would be a good challenge, so I'm not at all surprised that's one of the areas that got away from me. It might make sense to step back a bit and try this exercise a few times with an asaro head or something.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Some fight mans. Practise from ref.

folder
Oct 9, 2016

lofi posted:

Ugh, I hate pineapples now. And keyboards.

Love cats though. :3:

I'd forgotten how satisfying I find mono.

Really like how the leaves (?) came out - keep it up!

lofi
Apr 2, 2018

folder posted:

Really like how the leaves (?) came out - keep it up!

Thanks, they're my favourite part too. Today I was in the park and had dogs (play?)fight across me, and listened to an incredibly camp incredibly drunk guy barfing while I drew a tree.

#septexture #backtonature

e: I'm really pleased with the tree's cast shadow on the grass, I was really unsure if that technique would work.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

I drew a skull to cheer myself up.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 14, 2018

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Scoss posted:

Because I'm a genius of course, I started with one of the three-quarter perspectives and kind of winged it from there. One of the reasons I wanted to try this exercise is because I have difficulty with reliably inventing feminine jawlines and being forced to execute on them across a progression of perspectives would be a good challenge, so I'm not at all surprised that's one of the areas that got away from me. It might make sense to step back a bit and try this exercise a few times with an asaro head or something.

Female jawlines are hard to draw in perspective because of how subtle they tend to be. One thing you may want to try is to allow the jawline to "fade" in certain perspectives by only implying the line of the jaw, so that there isn't a connecting line between the jaw near the start of the chin (around the mental foramen) and the curve of the mandible. The number of lines and their thickness tends to be the strongest difference between a male and female face at an immediate read, so you can use this to your advantage by cutting our unnecessary lines and implying features rather than drawing them directly.

Take someone like Lust from Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood:

Because she's meant to have very soft, feminine features, her jawline is de-emphasized by only using shadow to indicate it. More masculine characters like Major Armstrong have their jaws outlined - along with lines on their nose, around their cheekbones, etc. - since it creates the illusion of more definition.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

gmc9987 posted:

It looks really really good so far, though.

thanks, it's so close i can taste it