Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

ElectricSheep posted:

I sanded skin off my hand and shoulder when that happened to me as a kid and I got pinned between a dresser and the belt.

Moral of the story: treadmill is evil, avoid at all costs

Agreed, both my fiance and my sister have similar stories.

Actually I find it safer just to avoid cardio altogether

e:
A shameful snipe. Here, have a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdTc2Gv52uI

dads friend steve fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Sep 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
xposting from PL thread

i went for 573lbs (260kg) for a double tonight but couldnt even get it off the ground. made 3 attempts at it that just got weaker and sadder each try.

my last deadlift day i got 551lbs for a triple easy money. i should have at least been able to do 1 easy rep of the 573.

i backed off to 530lbs, couldnt budge it. back to 485lbs and barely made 1 rep. 

obviously something was way off tonight given i should have at least been able to do back off sets of 485 with ease. i felt like i had absolutely nothing to grind on. 

im gonna just go ahead and admit that my eating the last 4 or so days has probably been a little average so im just gonna go with that. but i want to have another crack at 573 x2 because its the end of this block and 6 plates is a big milestone. should i go for my heavy squat doubles and then try again a few days later, or attempt the deadlift again first in a few days after some eating? or just skip the deadlift PR altogether and start another block? (my blocks usually 6 to 8 weeks, peaking upwards each week from 12 reps. )

really loving sad about this dont even remember the last time i failed a deadlift. ive been really lovely and pissed off the last few weeks and this was just the loving nail in the coffin.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Take Two weeks off, you’ll come back stronger

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Take Two weeks off, you’ll come back stronger

Not empty quoting but if you're not feeling it, rest and eat well for a little taper and you'll feel better. If you HAVE to lift, do some low volume deload.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Max Aita tells a story of training in Bulgaria. He was squatting something like 250 kilos. Then it started going down until one day he bailed on his first rep of 70. Got mercilessly ridiculed. The next day was Thanksgiving, a rest day. Cleared his head. Within a few days he was back to his max.

So yeah, get some rest.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Alternatively just do something else for a bit, have you been doing the same stuff for a long time? You just might be finding things stale, mentally and physically

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
was it because i havent had creatine for a couple of days

:thunk:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Gym fail of the day.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
the way that those plates are loaded is killing my ocd

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Say Nothing posted:

Gym fail of the day.

That is shameful...

I can't believe he's squatting in the Smith machine.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

ElectricSheep posted:

the way that those plates are loaded is killing my ocd

killed his c1-c6

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

nooneofconsequence posted:

Max Aita tells a story of training in Bulgaria. He was squatting something like 250 kilos. Then it started going down until one day he bailed on his first rep of 70. Got mercilessly ridiculed. The next day was Thanksgiving, a rest day. Cleared his head. Within a few days he was back to his max.

So yeah, get some rest.

Thanksgiving in Bulgaria? I've long suspected that no human could possibly actually survive "Bulgarian training", and so the cracks in the lies begin to show :thunk::thunk::thunk:

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

VorpalFish posted:

That is shameful...

I can't believe he's squatting in the Smith machine.

Well, technically he didn't.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Say Nothing posted:

Gym fail of the day.

You noobs never heard of explosive training smh

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

Sludge Tank posted:

xposting from PL thread

i went for 573lbs (260kg) for a double tonight but couldnt even get it off the ground. made 3 attempts at it that just got weaker and sadder each try.

my last deadlift day i got 551lbs for a triple easy money. i should have at least been able to do 1 easy rep of the 573.

i backed off to 530lbs, couldnt budge it. back to 485lbs and barely made 1 rep. 

obviously something was way off tonight given i should have at least been able to do back off sets of 485 with ease. i felt like i had absolutely nothing to grind on. 

im gonna just go ahead and admit that my eating the last 4 or so days has probably been a little average so im just gonna go with that. but i want to have another crack at 573 x2 because its the end of this block and 6 plates is a big milestone. should i go for my heavy squat doubles and then try again a few days later, or attempt the deadlift again first in a few days after some eating? or just skip the deadlift PR altogether and start another block? (my blocks usually 6 to 8 weeks, peaking upwards each week from 12 reps. )

really loving sad about this dont even remember the last time i failed a deadlift. ive been really lovely and pissed off the last few weeks and this was just the loving nail in the coffin.

Deadlifts are just like that sometimes, don't even worry about it man. I mean you're way stronger than me but I'm pretty sure this sort of thing happens for stronger people too. Sometimes I'll rip 350+ off the ground like it's nothing and sometimes I shake like hell just trying to get 325ish off. I'm honestly surprised it hasn't happened to you more often.

Anyway, I know that's just anecdotal bullshit I'm posting here but I'm pretty sure you'll nail it soon is what I'm getting at!

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
yeah. i think ive always been pretty good with my training
i havent done a 1RM in nearly 2 years. ive always eaten pretty well and usually to a caloric surplus except last few days. being this close to my physical limits i guess tiny factors are going to play a part. i just threw a tanty and stabbed a kid in the throat. i havent failed a deadlift like that that id beena anticipating before. really ego crushing. just trying to figure out when a smart time to try again will be.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese

feelix posted:

Thanksgiving in Bulgaria? I've long suspected that no human could possibly actually survive "Bulgarian training", and so the cracks in the lies begin to show :thunk::thunk::thunk:

the most unbelievable part of the story is that max lived with Uncle Ivan and claims he never did juice

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
also pour one out for Pat Mendes, caught for taking HGH, a drug that lasts like 4 hours in your system

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MikeCrotch posted:

also pour one out for Pat Mendes, caught for taking HGH, a drug that lasts like 4 hours in your system

Feels like a Monday today
It is, Pat
Oh no!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

MikeCrotch posted:

Muscles ain’t brains

Apprentice Dick
Dec 1, 2009
I've been busy after work every day this week and finally said gently caress it and went to the gym at 6am instead of 7pm. poo poo was like paradise as both benches, both squat racks, and half of the dumbbell benches were open. As much as I hate waking up in the morning I think I'm switching.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

more like BOLLOCKnese
I can't I before like 9pm for that exact reason

gently caress getting up early to lift though

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Lifting early is awesome because all the equipment is free, but I just don’t have the same energy as I do in the afternoon/evening

Maybe I’ll give it another shot though. Especially in January when the gym becomes a zoo

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
i just cannot do morning training. i have zzero strengrh

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Anyone know where I can get some tainted supplements?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Deadlifts take 2-3 hours to boot up to full strength. Props if you can roll out of bed and pull your 1RM

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I can barely walk when I roll out of bed, need to do a couple of laps up and down the hallway before everything stretches out.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
I've actually heard that it's unhealthy to deadlift or squat too soon after waking up because you need to be upright for an hour for your spine to compress

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
I have a friend who's 6'6" and works in a warehouse, he has to adjust his rear view mirror between going to work and coming home because he's considerably shorter

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

feelix posted:

I have a friend who's 6'6" and works in a warehouse, he has to adjust his rear view mirror between going to work and coming home because he's considerably shorter

I feel like I've experienced this...

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

feelix posted:

I've actually heard that it's unhealthy to deadlift or squat too soon after waking up because you need to be upright for an hour for your spine to compress
The study every one gets that from actually said full range of spinal movement under load is risk increasing. Which if you're squatting and deadlifting right isn't happening.

I also doubt anyone working out in the morning pops out of bed and hits a max triple in the first hour of being awake.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Guyver posted:

The study every one gets that from actually said full range of spinal movement under load is risk increasing. Which if you're squatting and deadlifting right isn't happening.

I also doubt anyone working out in the morning pops out of bed and hits a max triple in the first hour of being awake.

Yeah but having a longer spine increases the lever arm between your hips and upper back, therefore you should only squat and deadlift immediately before bed

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Guyver posted:

It’s me. Out of bed at 4:45am, deadlifting 15 minutes later.

Of course I can’t even approach 4 plates without Fate giving me a non-gym related injury, so I don’t count.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Hotdog In A Hallway posted:

It’s me. Out of bed at 4:45am, deadlifting 15 minutes later.

Of course I can’t even approach 4 plates without Fate giving me a non-gym related injury, so I don’t count.

Yeah, I just move to keep moving, and don't worry too much about my gains, but it's nice to go work out first thing in the morning.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I used to lift at 6 am but that was when I was just loving around. I can't remember the last time I woke up that early.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I don’t even get out of bed until 12pm

Then it’s crying for a couple hours and maybe drop by work to check if I haven’t been fired yet

Finally I’m ready to deadlift, with a fully erect spine

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Jesus christ I'm probably clinically brain dead until about 10am every morning, I can't imagine trying to lift like that

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Cross posting from goon doctor

feelix posted:

I'm a reasonably fit 30 year old who lift weight, yeah I'm kind of a bad rear end, and my PCP seems to have a clientelle who consists entirely of old ladies. She told me that taking creatine is bad and has no benefits which I know is not true because every fitness youtube tells me it's good. I think a lot of doctors don't really keep up on modern research especially if she doesn't often treat hunks like myself. Wondering if I should find a new doctor

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This is anecdotal of course but when I used to work out in the morning before work I always felt quite a bit weaker and my deadlifts shakier. My best is around lunch. If I can get a full workout in around lunch (like around weekends) I usually perform extremely well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Doctors know suprisingly little about nutritional science yet often feel compelled to pretend they are experts in the field

A doctor once asked me why I drank whey protein drinks and tried to explain to me that there was no point to protein drinks and I should eat more vegetables instead (???)