Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Either that or implement Discord because gently caress using their actual voice function. I’m not entirely sure if it was just for Splatoon 2 but having to use your phone and then buying a headset etc to use voice was just lol hell no. I could be remembering it wrong so feel free to correct me if I got details wrong

Edit: oh god I was right. Why Nintendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Andrast posted:

You're going to use a terrible phone adapter + app and you're gonna like it

I still can't believe that was their solution.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I still can't believe that was their solution.

It was the most Nintendo solution ever

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

while personally i would never want to have an open voice chat with internet randos for any reason, those who would having to buy a peripheral, hook that into a smartphone, and hook that into your console is laughable in the year of our lord 2018

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Consoles making you pay to play online is such a loving scam.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

but if valve ever gets it in their head to charge a subscription fee to steam i'm right proper hosed

Why haven't they done this yet anyways

Where else are people gonna go

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Help Im Alive posted:

Why haven't they done this yet anyways

Where else are people gonna go

um sounds like someone's never heard of the new Windows 10 Microsoft Store

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Can you blame them? Nobody remembers that store. It sucks when you find out a game is on PC and then it’s only available on that is the worst way to find out.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I hope they implement voice chat so when they release an animal crossing stranger can come and slur me and my animal friends to our faces

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Shindragon posted:

Either that or implement Discord because gently caress using their actual voice function. I’m not entirely sure if it was just for Splatoon 2 but having to use your phone and then buying a headset etc to use voice was just lol hell no. I could be remembering it wrong so feel free to correct me if I got details wrong

Edit: oh god I was right. Why Nintendo

There's also no headset port in any of the Switch controllers so they only way to implement voice chat through the Switch itself would be through Bluetooth. That's not impossible, naturally, but I dunno if it's the route Nintendo would go.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Shindragon posted:

Can you blame them? Nobody remembers that store. It sucks when you find out a game is on PC and then it’s only available on that is the worst way to find out.

twas an joke, yes

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

MS tried to make PC people pay for online when GFWL first happened, it didn't last long.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah I don't think many things could "kill steam", but charging to use their services definitely would. EA would probably be salivating at the opportunity to get people to come to Origin, for example.

They just don't have the same leverage.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Cowcaster posted:

twas an joke, yes

Sorry I had to test games using that store. I feel sorry for anyone who has to use it. Also it’s the bane of my existence because somehow that store causes games to have their own bugs that only can occur on the MS10 store. Using a MS account is a pain in the rear end because of the hoops you have to go through in a Dev environment.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

Sakurazuka posted:

MS tried to make PC people pay for online when GFWL first happened, it didn't last long.

I actually liked Universe at War, too

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Shindragon posted:

Sorry I had to test games using that store. I feel sorry for anyone who has to use it. Also it’s the bane of my existence because somehow that store causes games to have their own bugs that only can occur on the MS10 store. Using a MS account is a pain in the rear end because of the hoops you have to go through in a Dev environment.

it's funny because after finally putting the unholy mess that was games for windows live in the grave for good years prior they decided to give it the old college try once again with something even worse

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
https://twitter.com/Swery65/status/1040224515148541954

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Most big publishers would love a solid, undeniable reason to exclusively distribute their games via their own storefront launchers (if they aren't doing so already). Steam going subscription would be an easy win for publishers.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Took me a second to see the guy with a gun.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i mean i think steam has been free for too long and is has too massive a population to implement a subscription model at this point without a major consumer revolt but i put nothing beyond possibility in this capitalist corporate hellscape world we live in

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

i mean i think steam has been free for too long and is too big to implement a subscription model at this point without a major consumer revolt but i put nothing beyond possibility in this capitalist corporate hellscape world we live in

People treat $1000 iphones as normal.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Steam isn't "free" it's just the game publishers pay for it via the 30% cut Valve takes. There's no real reason to change that, imo.

Edit: No, not true. If more and more big publishers switch to their own stores like Bethesda's doing, then it will change some how.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
He did say it was hell already. :v:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Verranicus posted:

Consoles making you pay to play online is such a loving scam.

Pretty much, but it's standard now and not going anywhere. At least you get games each month out of it and over the course of a yearly subscription it surpasses the yearly fee by hundreds of dollars.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I said come in! posted:

Pretty much, but it's standard now and not going anywhere. At least you get games each month out of it and over the course of a yearly subscription it surpasses the yearly fee by hundreds of dollars.

Not when 99% of those games are something I don't want to play or have already bought previously

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I said come in! posted:

That would be true if the monthly PS+ selection didn't always make me go "ah, another mediocre game I only have a passing interest in, but now must play ahead of the other stuff I actually enjoy before time runs out"

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I just buy a month when I want to play a multiplayer game

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

lets hang out posted:

I just buy a month when I want to play a multiplayer game

I got six of those 1-month card things when I first bought a PS4 and haven't run out yet.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

mutata posted:

Steam isn't "free" it's just the game publishers pay for it via the 30% cut Valve takes. There's no real reason to change that, imo.

Edit: No, not true. If more and more big publishers switch to their own stores like Bethesda's doing, then it will change some how.

if i'm understanding your logic correctly the defense here is "this company is already making some money off of this thing, i can't see any reason why they would like to make even more money off of it"

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Who owns the rights to captain n the game master

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i did a googling and turned up this company: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DHX_Media which as of 2018 was falling into debt and selling off some assets

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Then the dream is alive

One day we will see that lovely tv show character in smash

One day

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I said come in! posted:

This month Sony is giving people a game that has been on sale for $5 multiple times and Best Buy is giving away for free with any PS4 game purchase.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

Then the dream is alive

One day we will see that lovely tv show character in smash

One day

look there's only room for one lovely tv character and goku's basically already confirmed

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Destiny 2 is truly the Bad Rats of console shooters.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Cowcaster posted:

if i'm understanding your logic correctly the defense here is "this company is already making some money off of this thing, i can't see any reason why they would like to make even more money off of it"

No, my logic is that Steam going subscription would drive major publishers (and therefore revenue) away into developing new competing platforms so therefore they wont do that. Players would despise it and publishers would utilize it to drive customers to their own stores. There's nothing in it for Steam over their current model.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ometeotl posted:

This month Sony is giving people a game that has been on sale for $5 multiple times and Best Buy is giving away for free with any PS4 game purchase.

I download like 2 of the free games a year lol

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Looper posted:

look there's only room for one lovely tv character and goku's basically already confirmed

But they've gotta complete the cast!!!

Now's the perfect time because Simon was the last protagonist to not be in smash! :v:

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Relax Or DIE posted:

I actually liked Universe at War, too

uaw kicked rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i still have ps+ because one day i will play yakuza 4 and 5

• Locked thread