Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

HenryEx posted:

Don't even act like you specified the cathedral in particular when you took your solipsistic snipe.

Of course not. "Solipsism" refers specifically to the writing rather than the art. Every isekai features identical use of first-person narration. The pacing of the story always matches that of the protagonist's internal monologue, which is why every isekai story eventually ends up being about them offhandedly talking about how they beat a bunch of Goblin Copromancers and leveled up their Manticore Buggery Skill. The whole world becomes subordinate to their narration.

The ubiquity of first-person narration in these stories isn't some accident, but is in fact a necessity for the fantasy the genre represents. This particular style of internal monologue you find in isekais emphasises the protagonist's control over their environment and their power. Everything is dominated by the protagonist's inviolate and omnipotent interior experience.

Remember, the inspiration for isekais is the fantasy of living in a video game. This is why even the most innocuous ones have the whiff of creepy power hierarchy: the protagonist is the only real person and everyone else is an NPC. It's solipsistic.

HenryEx posted:

You labeled the entire thing as "poorly drawn" which is - well, i'm leaning heavily into the disingenious side now

It looks bad dude

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Of course not. "Solipsism" refers specifically to :words:
Okay now I'm just going to note that you're a giant pedant and move on with life.

Its alright to be critical of manga, but your arguments are ... just boring to me.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

To be fair that’s a pretty big failing of the basics of perspective, you don’t even need a good understanding of it to keep a building straight. It really doesn’t speak well of the artist’s technical skill.

Of course people value technical skill differently so :shrug:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

your arguments are ... just boring to me.

The word you're thinking of is "disenchanting".

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The word you're thinking of is "disenchanting".

I think ponderous is a better fit.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Dude, are you serious

Did you really not understand that i referenced that word as shorthand to refer to your post above, not the word itself. The tpoc never left the art, why would you even

I mean, you have to be willfully obtuse here, no one can be that dumb, but i'm really not sure what the point is you're trying to make by going on a huge meaningless tangent no one asked for.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

HenryEx posted:

Dude, are you serious

Did you really not understand that i referenced that word as shorthand to refer to your post above, not the word itself. The tpoc never left the art, why would you even

I mean, you have to be willfully obtuse here, no one can be that dumb, but i'm really not sure what the point is you're trying to make by going on a huge meaningless tangent no one asked for.

You should probably know that this is his gimmick.

Complaining about comics and then doing this, I mean, when called out.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Never take anything Bravest of Lamps posts seriously. Just put the lamp into the garbage where it belongs and get a new one.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Best to just ignore him. Via the forums option or just by looking at usernames.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Isekai's are illustrated LPs of fantasy novels. They're mostly popcorn, but it's not a mortal sin to enjoy them. ...as long as it isn't weird slave popcorn, then it might be

Artificer posted:

Never take anything Bravest of Lamps posts seriously. Just put the lamp into the garbage where it belongs and get a new one.

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Best to just ignore him. Via the forums option or just by looking at usernames.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Honestly I usually don't see more detailed breakdowns of any element of isekai stuff in general outside of the usual 'ol "it's just a power fantasy", so I appreciated the more detailed posts there.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
It'd probably be nicer if it didnt come a disingenuous poster.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Compendium posted:

It'd probably be nicer if it didnt come a disingenuous poster.

iunno the analysis seems p sincere to me.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Hearing ppl who know a lot about a subject rant is cool.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I think unidimensional would be another good word for earlier.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Srice posted:

Honestly I usually don't see more detailed breakdowns of any element of isekai stuff in general outside of the usual 'ol "it's just a power fantasy", so I appreciated the more detailed posts there.

Lamps is actually right a lot of the time (or a least wrong in a way that you actually think) it's just that he's a tedious negative rear end in a top hat who thrives on ruining other people's fun.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Srice posted:

iunno the analysis seems p sincere to me.

It's insanely myopic analysis that's drawing gigantic sweeping conclusions and ignoring just about anything that's actually important to the quality of art. Drawing a bunch of red circles around the only two extant establishing shots of a fantastic location and pointing out how real architecture differs in structure isn't real insight to the creative process.

There aren't friggin hard and fast laws for perspective in sequential art anyways, proportion and form are twisted and changed constantly to suit the composition. Sometimes an artist even changes how something simple and already established looks just cause they like it slightly different.

Art is creativity and raw technical skill is the least important aspect of it anyways.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Now get in the friggin incinerator you goobers.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'll be the first one in and the last one out.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Now get in the friggin incinerator you goobers.
But where is this incinerator? Can't find it with these constantly shifting church layouts.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
My people are not very fond of incinerators anymore, so, hard pass.

Thanks for encapsulating my feelings on the matter too (sans appreciating some architectural technobabble).

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's not even a comic I'd give a strong recommend to, just a neat one, but I have been roused anyways...

The artist does a lot of digipaint trick type stuff that leaves some panels flat and they use really simple environmental details for most scenes and all that's perfectly fine and acceptable because small technical detail work usually leads to works being muddled and hard to read anyways. It's super common and since the strength of comic storytelling is usually character work they dominate 80% of the panels in every single manga comic known to man with straight up negative space or sometimes only a couple of lines rendering form to some background objects.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

This is because of a fun thing called imagination, that readers have. It has a stronger effect in black and white comics here than in colored or animated media becuase when presented with the monochrome negative space even subconsciously the viewer is imprinting an idea of what the environment and scene look like around the subject.

The same principle works for action and pacing, thats really all up to the viewer and the greatest comic artists aren't ones that have learned complex shading techniques and the patience to apply it, its artists that understand composition and the subtle bending of natural form to lead the viewers eyes in the right directions and with the right timing that they are left with the desired effect of impact.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
there's actual cathedrals that are a mishmash of architectural styles cuz they were built over a really long time/partially destroyed and remodeled

i don't have any real life examples to provide but you can trust that i'm right

sockpuppetclock
Sep 12, 2010
This looks like someone just pasted a tracing of a 3d model onto a drawing of an empty field. There's no sense of it being a part of its surroundings at all... I hate it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Real talk though. I gave the first couple chapters of paladin a whirl and the steady introduction of aspects of the pantheon that governs this world, some pages on magic words, and just giving us a look at the main cast were nice. But why does this story have to be an isekai when it's clear it has a better leg to stand on with regards to a unique fantasy setting? I can guess from earlier comments that this little detail is inconsequential to the story at large so I wonder if it's a huge boost to a story for just having it be an isekai now? This was a web novel first correct?

This same thing happened with 'Legend of the White Kingdom' where the story actually has more depth to it than just being a video game analogue but the authors introduce that idea of them being reincarnated in the first couple chapters. And in this story they also drop that plot detail going forward.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Brought To You By posted:

Real talk though. I gave the first couple chapters of paladin a whirl and the steady introduction of aspects of the pantheon that governs this world, some pages on magic words, and just giving us a look at the main cast were nice. But why does this story have to be an isekai when it's clear it has a better leg to stand on with regards to a unique fantasy setting? I can guess from earlier comments that this little detail is inconsequential to the story at large so I wonder if it's a huge boost to a story for just having it be an isekai now? This was a web novel first correct?

This same thing happened with 'Legend of the White Kingdom' where the story actually has more depth to it than just being a video game analogue but the authors introduce that idea of them being reincarnated in the first couple chapters. And in this story they also drop that plot detail going forward.

It also doesn't have videogame stats which is nice, it really is a normal rear end fantasy story that is an isekai for some reason.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think isekai as a plot device (as opposed to the whole story being a "living in a videogame" fantasy) has spread since it's an easy way to rapidly insert a relatable protagonist into an otherwise alien setting. It's lazy writing but it makes some amount of sense in a serial format where readers are likely to stop after one chapter if they don't feel engaged.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
The only significant isekai thing it uses is the MC reincarnating with memories of his past life which is not subtly indicated to be modern Japan. And that is relevant to his character since his regrets are part of what drives him to live a better life and not make the same mistakes he did before. His main "cheat" I suppose would be having an adult's awareness as a child so he was able to understand things and get more out of what he was being taught.

I think you could probably argue that it really is just a normal rear end fantasy story that uses reincarnation as a conceit since it doesn't also have all the video game trappings that most of them use.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

From what they've been hinting at and what seems to be implied by the end of the latest chapter it also seems that him having reincarnated ends up getting him involved with one of the gods in a pretty major way.

It probably would have worked fine as a standard reincarnation story in the same world but isekai sells. The reincarnation bit seems like it's going to end up essential though.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
one thing I like a lot about it is the MC is very present in the fantasy world -- he was (re)born there and grew up, and considers it his home and the undead guys his family vs having the conflict of having a strong connection to the previous life/world. It's something that informs his choices and how he thinks about stuff but there's a definite sense of distance that imo is pretty unique compared to others I've read

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

one thing I like a lot about it is the MC is very present in the fantasy world -- he was (re)born there and grew up, and considers it his home and the undead guys his family vs having the conflict of having a strong connection to the previous life/world. It's something that informs his choices and how he thinks about stuff but there's a definite sense of distance that imo is pretty unique compared to others I've read

It's still early but one thing I really appreciate is that the little combat or fighting we've had so far has all been for a strong exploration of character instead of just a narrative purpose, even if one was only revealed after the fact.

This most recent chapter is more about exploring this god of death's outlook on the living and how seductive that can be than about the hero overcoming a challenge.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, definitely.

Overall it's one I look forward to each update and also think it is petty and highly dismissive to have spent all that time critiquing some minor background art that probably wouldn't even register if you were engaged with the story and I hope that nonsense didn't put anyone off from reading it who might have been interested.

I was tempted after I read the first few chapters and had to start waiting on updates to hop over to the novels since you can buy 5 of them in English right now but I enjoy reading it in manga form too much to switch over.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
Pedant man mean to Isekai. Must destroy evil pedant man.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

For some stories like that I wonder if people are just slapping on isekai for marketing. A writer pitches a perfectly good normal fantasy story and some editor responds “:hmmyes: but all the kids are into isekais now, make the MC come from this world”

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Xun posted:

For some stories like that I wonder if people are just slapping on isekai for marketing. A writer pitches a perfectly good normal fantasy story and some editor responds “:hmmyes: but all the kids are into isekais now, make the MC come from this world
The parts I bolded are very much the case, yeah.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Xun posted:

For some stories like that I wonder if people are just slapping on isekai for marketing. A writer pitches a perfectly good normal fantasy story and some editor responds “:hmmyes: but all the kids are into isekais now, make the MC come from this world”

A lot of them are self-published online first so it's all the writer's decision.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, but usually a lot of them are also thinking "Well, where's the money?" and usually publishers are like actively trawling for series following a certain trend/fad on sites like "Let's Become a Novelist!". Hell, from that site alone, you got Web Novels that eventually became light novels that then went on to get adapted Manga (or multiple manga, even) and/or Anime adaptations, like I want to eat your pancreas, Konosuba, Re:Zero, among many others.

And, for the last couple of years, the fad has been "Isekai" / "Reincarnation" and related tags.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Oh right, I rarely read WNs so I forgot that a lot of these are already written first.

Wark Say posted:

I want to eat your pancreas

:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It's actually a pretty good-to-great drama/romance/coming-of-age story with a very... well, "interesting" title.