Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

In my last installment on porting a huge mess of java spaghetti without comments or even a readme into python, my boss gave the go-ahead to spend time on it as it's critical for business files. Today it's not worth the time. I mean that happens sure, but at least don't be mad at me for giving time estimates that might be accurate (or at least not overly optimistic).

This working at a startup poo poo-show in general is getting to me. Business needs are made up on a whim, then changed on another whim. Our partner in France is either incompetent, doesn't make enough from our business for us to be worth their time or both. Today, after asking in writing about an assignment, my boss put it in writing that he found me provoking. The silver lining I guess is that I can keep it, show it to his boss and say: "This poo poo is why I'm out".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What's the rationale for porting from Java to Python?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

bob dobbs is dead posted:

for the top of the line sql server paying retail, assuming a pizza box server, it costs more to license the thing w/ the top of the line license than to send it to space

it's common to get 90, 95, 99% discounts tho

Edit: licensing 3 beefy sql servers is 1/5th of my yearly cloud budget and I hate it.

freeasinbeer fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Sep 5, 2018

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

I agree that AWS names are meaningless, but many of these are somehow worse.

Like, S3=>"Amazon Unlimited FTP Server" is loving crazy. VPC=>"Amazon Virtual Colocated Rack" is confusing. Lambda=>"AWS App Scripts" is sort of OK in that "App Scripts" seems equally meaningless. RDS=>"Amazon SQL" is terrible. Etc.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

rt4 posted:

What's the rationale for porting from Java to Python?

It’s easier to onboard student assistants who are willing to work loads of hours for pennies

alternatively: this startup is awful so why shouldn't the software be?

champagne posting fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Sep 5, 2018

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.

Handsome Wife posted:

Are you dead-set on using Cosmos? It is expensive but there are other options for hosted DBs on Azure. The "basic" tier Azure SQL instance is like $5/month, and if you need a document store you could use something like this to get Mongo running on Azure.

Oh no I'm not like IT HAS TO BE COSMOS, I'd prefer MongoDB tbh. I didn't realize you could install it on Azure. Is it just as pricey to run though?

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Found in a jobposting today posted:

Knowledge of No-SQL databases like Cassandra, mangoDB etc
Hmmmm, smells fruity.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Ape Fist posted:

Oh no I'm not like IT HAS TO BE COSMOS, I'd prefer MongoDB tbh. I didn't realize you could install it on Azure. Is it just as pricey to run though?

Nothing is as pricey as cosmos db, except maybe google cloud spanner.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Munkeymon posted:

This applies equally to AWS, FYI. You're probably just used to it because you've been using it long enough, but we just started using it recently and it's not that straightforward. I'm thinking specifically about a ten minute discussion we had about which storage option was right for a new workload I was going to saddle a service with. Much of that was synchronizing knowledge about what the various options are supposed to be for.
I thought I had a handle on this until I needed analytics, then I ended up puzzling over the relationship between Elastic MapReduce, RedShift, RedShift Spectrum, Athena, Data Pipeline, Glue, ???

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

Ape Fist posted:

You can just throw Mongo on a VM. You could even spin up a Mongo Docker container on an Azure Container Instance, but the pricing on that is more complicated to figure out.

If you look something like image I linked to from the Azure Marketplace, you can spin up a basic VM with 20 GB of disk space for ~$14/month.

Ape Fist
Feb 23, 2007

Nowadays, you can do anything that you want; anal, oral, fisting, but you need to be wearing gloves, condoms, protection.
If you're not working with Ligatures turned on are you even a real developer?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Ape Fist posted:

If you're working with Ligatures turned on, are you even a real developer?

FTFY

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Keetron posted:

Hmmmm, smells fruity.

I learned today that a major company in my city is heavily reliant on MongoDB and they never setup authentication on it until they hired a new devops person (who now works for us) and promptly turned in her notice when the CTO shrugged and told her not to change anything.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

geeves posted:

I learned today that a major company in my city is heavily reliant on MongoDB and they never setup authentication on it until they hired a new devops person (who now works for us) and promptly turned in her notice when the CTO shrugged and told her not to change anything.

It still doesn't sound like they set up authentication.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
That's sounds reasonable if it's only available in the local network where the application lives

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

geeves posted:

The number of unauthenticated mongo DBs just chilling exposed to the web is painfully high

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

rt4 posted:

That's sounds reasonable if it's only available in the local network where the application lives

Good luck with that after your network is breached. Or the intern ngrok's your server to the world.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

rt4 posted:

Be mindful of where you buy concert tickets. Your card info may be web scaled.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I'd never heard of ngrok before, holy poo poo that is scary

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Ditto. You think you hear everything and then something like that rolls up and turns your world inside-out.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Thirded. Who the gently caress would allow remote access this transparent into their network? What port do they work on, I can block it by default even at home.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's randomly assigned iirc. This is the officially recommended way of testing inbound Twilio integrations.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

rt4 posted:

It's randomly assigned iirc. This is the officially recommended way of testing inbound Twilio integrations.

Well, I guess what service will not be used by my company.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think it’s just that integration with a lot of services is them hitting your public endpoint, so it’s tough to develop and test that integration on a local machine.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
That's almost like a parody of the software industry in 2018.

I have no idea what all of these moving parts do, how they work, or what third-party services they use so it's best to just expose it all to the internet so it "just works".

return0
Apr 11, 2007
To be fair, I think they reasonably assume anyone running a weird NAT punchthrough HTTP proxy development tool will ensure they isolated from the real internal corporate network.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

smackfu posted:

I think it’s just that integration with a lot of services is them hitting your public endpoint, so it’s tough to develop and test that integration on a local machine.

I honestly thought docker was great for that. Exposing to the public because it is easy just sounds stupid.

Found on the internet today:

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

I can't see a funny mongodb thing and not post this: https://jira.mongodb.org/browse/PYTHON-532

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Its hard to laugh at mongo (which they deserve) when that bug report is just so embarrassing.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Xik posted:

Its hard to laugh at mongo (which they deserve) when that bug report is just so embarrassing.

it's funny because they actually were running coverity and you know, that mike guy in the bug report who was "born a tech writer" has a degree in computer science from princeton, so you'd think between the combination of those two things you wouldn't get a bug like that

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

it's funny because they actually were running coverity and you know, that mike guy in the bug report who was "born a tech writer" has a degree in computer science from princeton, so you'd think between the combination of those two things you wouldn't get a bug like that

Given their track record I would never make such a generous assumption :colbert:

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

What other mongodb shenanigans are out there?

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16833100/why-does-the-mongodb-java-driver-use-a-random-number-generator-in-a-conditional

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Today in "bugs that should have taken 15 minutes instead of three hours", Chicken Wing spends a long rear end time trying to figure out why hibernate isn't persisting an object to the DB despite every possible combination of .save(), .persist(), and .flush(). After furiously combing google, even more furiously combing through library code, and roping in the local hibernate guru, he says "hey maybe I should check the DAO that's throwing the error instead of the DAO that's 'not saving the object'"

code:
@Transactional(propagation = Propagation.REQUIRES_NEW)
:tizzy:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

Hibernate is cool but also I think I hate it

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

ChickenWing posted:

Hibernate is cool but also I think I hate it

That's how I feel about most ORMs.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

My belief is that relations are not objects, so if you're using an ORM to manage things in a way that lets you treat relations as objects, you'd better be getting some really powerful magic to make up for the pain you'll experience at the parts where things don't quite match up.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Bongo Bill posted:

My belief is that relations are not objects, so if you're using an ORM to manage things in a way that lets you treat relations as objects, you'd better be getting some really powerful magic to make up for the pain you'll experience at the parts where things don't quite match up.

Can you give a more specific example of what you're trying to say?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Nope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

The way I'd explain it is: if the ORM is writing your sql for you, what do you do when you have a performance problem? (Throw hardware at it, rather than tune or restructure!) Or requirements change and now you need to do something that probably should be done in sql, but don't know how? (Write a ton of crusty, slow application code rather than use a join!)