Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Casimir Radon posted:

It feels like they actually thought they were making a masterpiece. Which usually helps when you're going to make a bad movie since it might as well be an interesting bad movie. It starts with a solid half hour of Lambert's Brando impression in old guy makeup for fucks sake.

The first words of the movie (I don't remember if they're text on the screen or a voice-over) are essentially, "Having promised his wife on her deathbed that he would fix the hole in the ozone layer, Conor MacLeod has..." and then the movie ends with him having a sword fight with Michael Ironside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

CelticPredator posted:

So? They’re still r rated comic book movies that are super violent and did well.

Also War Zone is a really bad example of a movie being "true to the comics." Regardless of how much you enjoy it, it's a very, very bad adaptation of the source material that's self parody at best.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'd definitely watch Venom if they changed the title to "Venom: The Misadventures of one Eddie Bwock".

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Wheat Loaf posted:

The first words of the movie (I don't remember if they're text on the screen or a voice-over) are essentially, "Having promised his wife on her deathbed that he would fix the hole in the ozone layer, Conor MacLeod has..." and then the movie ends with him having a sword fight with Michael Ironside.

Yes...but if he had the GIFT from that fight...perhaps he fixed the Ozone Layer with it? I vaguely remember Highlander 2...I should look those films up again.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vince MechMahon posted:

Also War Zone is a really bad example of a movie being "true to the comics." Regardless of how much you enjoy it, it's a very, very bad adaptation of the source material that's self parody at best.
Punisher War Zone is one of the few comic book movies that has genuinely felt like watching a comic book to me.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

got any sevens posted:

Jim carey has a show thats basically based on mr rogers

Jim Carey is no Fred Rogers and could never hope to be :colbert: also I'm not a real big fan of him even before I found out he's got lovely views

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure what the comic bookiest comic movie is in terms of its design and everything is. Probably Dick Tracy.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Punisher War Zone is one of the few comic book movies that has genuinely felt like watching a comic book to me.

I didn't get this in the slightest from it. It felt like a comic book movie made by someone who hates comics, and the Punisher, and action movies.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm not sure what the comic bookiest comic movie is in terms of its design and everything is. Probably Dick Tracy.

Scott Pilgrim.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Batman Forever.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The film industry really hosed up never having a Kirby-designed live action movie. I hope Ava Duvernay goes all out with the New Gods.

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
My favorite thing about Highlander 2 is that in the final fight, Connor changes weapon and wardrobe in-between some shots because the final fight is just two different fights edited together, hoping nobody would notice.

People noticed.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vince MechMahon posted:

I didn't get this in the slightest from it. It felt like a comic book movie made by someone who hates comics, and the Punisher, and action movies.
How so? That movie is a loving blast from start to finish lmao

IIRC Lexi Alexander (the director) based the movie directly on the Punisher MAX comics.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Vanderdeath posted:

Having Venom as a Non-Lethal Protector is some B.S. in my opinion.

LOL if you think heroes in PG13 movies don't mercilessly slaughter their enemies. They just do it with no blood.

Len posted:

Jim Carey is no Fred Rogers and could never hope to be :colbert: also I'm not a real big fan of him even before I found out he's got lovely views

I think his show is actually more "what if Fred Rogers is pushed to a breaking point while trying to maintain a public persona".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amNMm-2rXrU

I'm pretty sure he's now more known for his political art.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Spirit.
I mean, it's a terrible adaptation of The Spirit, but it's an honest Frank Miller comic in movie form.

Batman Vs Superman would be the other, it's very melodramatic and grandiose in a way only comic books are.

The MSJ posted:

I think his show is actually more "what if Fred Rogers is pushed to a breaking point while trying to maintain a public persona".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amNMm-2rXrU

Oh hell yeah, I didn't know this was Michel Dongry.

wyoming fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 14, 2018

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

IIRC Lexi Alexander (the director) based the movie directly on the Punisher MAX comics.

Loosely. It's more like a weird remix of Garth Ennis' stuff. It approaches using characters from the source material much in the same way that X-Men 3 used them: seemingly assigned at random, with no attempt to reflect what the characters are actually supposed to be like. I like War Zone a lot, but I wouldn't say it was based on the MAX stuff in more than a cursory way.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vince MechMahon posted:

I feel like this kind of requires you to ignore a lot of Punisher stuff for it to be a true statement. If you take War Zone as an adaptation of Punisher MAX, yeah, it completely botches the tone and the Netflix series got it way, way closer.

The problem with this is that Punisher MAX is a huge outlier in Punisher stuff for how serious it is. Even Ennis' non-MAX Punisher comics are way, way goofier (Welcome Back Frank is the one where he fights a polar bear). If you take the character's history as a whole, counting both the pulpy silly poo poo and the ultra-serious grim darkness, War Zone starts looking like a pretty drat good attempt at synthesizing all the different angles together.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
All I know is that War Zone has a Punisher that is a murderous unsympathetic weirdo. And a GREAT sense of light, shadows, and arbitrary, weird violence.

I really liked it.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Yeah, War Zone is uneven at times, but visually it's loving gorgeous.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I kind of wanted to say that, but my aesthetic tastes are a little weird compared to the norm so I didn't want to be all like "Punisher War Zone is also gorgeous" and then get dogpiled by people saying it looks like neon vomit. :v:

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

No, War Zone is a legit pretty movie. The use of colors throughout it is really aesthetically pleasing.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Maxwell Lord posted:

The film industry really hosed up never having a Kirby-designed live action movie. I hope Ava Duvernay goes all out with the New Gods.

The Thor films at least try.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Timby posted:

Batman Forever.

Not Batman and Robin?

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Ang Lee's Hulk. Right down to re-creating the panel structure.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Creepshow takes its comic bookness really far.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This looks like it could be fun? That Overlord movie is JJ Abrams doing paratroopers in WW2 vs Nazi super-science.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Isn't this one of the ones that originally carried the Cloverfield: SUBTITLE thing?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Hmm. Speaking of Andie MacDowell, Green Card is probably going to a bit more uncomfortable to watch in future if those Gerard Depardieu allegations turn out to be true, isn't it?

Probably not more than usual considering his previous conviction of sexual assault was already well known by that point.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Maxwell Lord posted:

The film industry really hosed up never having a Kirby-designed live action movie.

Believe it or not but The Masters of the Universe movie is the closest thing to it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

wyoming posted:

The Spirit.
I mean, it's a terrible adaptation of The Spirit, but it's an honest Frank Miller comic in movie form.

If nobody else had mentioned The Spirit I was going to, that's pretty much the only thing it accomplished.

A few of my friends from high school went to see The Spirit and after like ten minutes bailed and snuck into a showing of Benjamin Button instead.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The best idea in The Spirit was giving an answer to how do you show a character who's entire gimmick is never being seen before? The solution was to cast Samuel L Jackson and put him in increasingly outlandish costumes in every scene he's in.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's "based" on them in that it takes elements from them and turns them into stupid jokes. Here's a character from Kitchen Irish but he's nothing like that character and does parkour for no reason and gets hit by a rocket cause lol random.

The movie is like Crank but for stupid people.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vince MechMahon posted:

The movie is like Crank but for stupid people.

...that's already Crank though

also the parkour guys are a really good joke, irrespective of their names. parkour was a pretty big fad at that time, and the movie set them up like they were going to be important badasses... and then one of them just gets iced by a loving rocket out of nowhere, not because "lolrandom" but because Frank Castle does not play that poo poo.

e: like that's honestly the structure of most of the movie's jokes. the world around Frank Castle is a completely absurd action movie, but he just responds to everything with complete grim seriousness and Punisher-ness.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Sep 14, 2018

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

...that's already Crank though

also the parkour guys are a really good joke, irrespective of their names. parkour was a pretty big fad at that time, and the movie set them up like they were going to be important badasses... and then one of them just gets iced by a loving rocket out of nowhere, not because "lolrandom" but because Frank Castle does not play that poo poo.

e: like that's honestly the structure of most of the movie's jokes. the world around Frank Castle is a completely absurd action movie, but he just responds to everything with complete grim seriousness and Punisher-ness.

It just did nothing for me other than make me wish I had my two hours back. I even tried giving it another shot after the last time it came up in one of these threads and while I didn't hate it as much, other than it being very well shot, I still thought it was an incredibly bad movie. The Lundgren Punisher was even better in my opinion.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Power of Pecota posted:

If nobody else had mentioned The Spirit I was going to, that's pretty much the only thing it accomplished.

A few of my friends from high school went to see The Spirit and after like ten minutes bailed and snuck into a showing of Benjamin Button instead.

My local comic book shop has had three copies of 'the art of the Spirit' for like...ten years now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0AUSvP29Bg

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

loving up characters like Maginty and Pitsy does absolutely suck rear end. Like if you know the source material, those characters deserved better and could have carried a movie as the prime antagonist individually.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

It just did nothing for me other than make me wish I had my two hours back. I even tried giving it another shot after the last time it came up in one of these threads and while I didn't hate it as much, other than it being very well shot, I still thought it was an incredibly bad movie. The Lundgren Punisher was even better in my opinion.

The Lundgren Punisher is actually dope. It's a weird fusion film, where it's part goofy as gently caress late 80s/early 90s action film (with ninjas and throwing knives) and half depiction of a nihilistic, broken character. There's a bit where Frank's old partner grills him about it. Frank starts out confidently, but regresses and just starts mumbling and flailing. It's the most honest depiction of how Castle's 'philosophy' just falls apart as soon as you look at it. And it's ironic that it was nailed by the worst actor to play the character.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Which is the one where Punisher fights gangsters at an amusement park and they dramatically enter the scene by sliding in on brightly-coloured slides?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CelticPredator posted:

So? They’re still r rated comic book movies that are super violent and did well.

Also Punisher War Zone was a critical and box office failure (despite being a rad movie) so I really don't get what he was trying to say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Deadpool sucked rear end and Logan was alright but overhyped, although I'm well aware that I'm in the minority when it comes to those :v:

lmao at complaining about comic movies not being true to their source material, and then also complaining that Deadpool sucked rear end