Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I hate to say it, but Zaid got hot.

Edit: Of all the loving page snipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Stand honorably by your take, PMush. Thirst is a continuous drinking motion

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm gay though

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm gay though

So is Allison and she still tried to tap that

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

I mean, it’s not exactly the sort of thing you call yourself, is it?

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

SunAndSpring posted:

Zaid is very handsome. Just thought it was worth mentioning.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I like how his mental image of Zoss has an even more douchey crown than his own.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

His eyes are not looking so good though. I'm guessing thats from the midnight sunlight ruining his beauty sleep.

Also, he must have had devil liquor at some point, seeing as how he is conversant in the local language.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Tenebrais posted:

the sanctioned action is a perfunctory attempt at heterosexuality out of a vague sense of obligation

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Tenebrais posted:

I mean... she didn't try very hard.

the bsd boys
Aug 8, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 377 days!
Big S is a huge idiot if he thinks anyone strong enough to beat him in the tournament would actually want to run his kingdom

anyone that could do it would probably just request a really nice cup of coffee or something and walk off into one of the sunsets, maybe both

White Coke
May 29, 2015
What if he has been beaten before but everyone strong enough to make him bleed realizes what an Ethical White Elephant Gift S-D's empire is?

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Or, he has lobotomized his entire society. Everyone is happy because their brains don't work so good.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Solly Dave: "gah... you have bested me in trial by combat. please, inherit my vast rube goldberg empire held together only by a philosopher king sitting at the center of a web of draconian legalism!"
Allison, a literal barista with a Philosophy degree: "uhhhhhhhhHHHHHHH"

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Dave's lucky he has demiurge powers because hes definitely the kind of guy who corrects waitstaff in italian restaurants about pronunciation of the dishes and then leaves a 10% tip

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Solomon joins the 108, desperately trying to get the victor of his tournament to run his kingdom for him. The chase destroys his kingdom: Al-Yis-Un has solved the problem.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

gonna lol if allisons philosophy education kicks in when discussion platonian government with dave

"Wait doesnt that mean you kingdom has hella slaves?"
"T H A T I S C O R R E C T"
"JOHN BROWN LIVES!" *fire everywhere*

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

paranoid randroid posted:

Dave's lucky he has demiurge powers because hes definitely the kind of guy who corrects waitstaff in italian restaurants about pronunciation of the dishes and then leaves a 10% tip

Solomon David is the kind of guy that pays the exact price listed on the menu.

M. Propagandalf
Aug 9, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
"I just want to say I read Leviathan, but pleb retard strength is still going to win out."

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

The Tree of Woe is totally such a K6BD concept. I bet every demiurge and black-glass drug baron has a Tree of Woe of their very own.

We've already seen Mottom's.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Agean90 posted:

"JOHN BROWN LIVES!" *fire everywhere*

:yeshaha:

rndmnmbr posted:

The Tree of Woe is totally such a K6BD concept. I bet every demiurge and black-glass drug baron has a Tree of Woe of their very own.

We've already seen Mottom's.

Conan universe is set in the Lovecraftian universe. So yes it does fit.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

paranoid randroid posted:

I bet that he leaves one of those fake $20 bills lovely evangelicals have, only instead of a treatise about God saving you it's just his personal primer for clean living or something. Like Dr. Bronner's soap but more boring.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

ElMaligno posted:

:yeshaha:

Conan universe is set in the Lovecraftian universe. So yes it does fit.

K6BD isn't even a little cosmic horror. And while there's crossover moments, the basic ideological underpinnings of Conan the Cimmerian make it pretty tendentious to say that Howard's friendship with Lovecraft mean his stories are 'in' Lovecraft's universe (and thankfully so; Conan's two-fisted humanism means that cosmic alien forces end up in stories like the Tower of the Elephant, which could never have been written by HPL).

All of which goes to say, Cthulhu would be mega-chumped in the omniverse because only something with broadly human psychology has the Flame of Want. Big blobby cosmic horrors would and probably do get their faceless faces shoved in by furious dumbasses and kung fu angels in this setting by default.

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
If Cthulhu represents the collective sin and unconscious disharmony innate to the human spirit, then Solomon David's fist represents the use of physical violence to resolve that and every other conflict because K6BD is not metaphorical.

Violence is the answer. Reach heaven through violence.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Unbound devils might represent something like unfettered murderous Want. Cthulhu represents the unknown and unknowable that cares nothing for human ideas, which just doesn't exist in the same setting as Zoss or Aesma.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Joe Slowboat posted:

Unbound devils might represent something like unfettered murderous Want. Cthulhu represents the unknown and unknowable that cares nothing for human ideas, which just doesn't exist in the same setting as Zoss or Aesma.

Sounds a lot like an angel tbh. We already know there's renegades in armour with their own ideas of what the law is, some even having no respect for it at all. Wouldn't surprise me if there's a few egregiously antisocial assholes floating around in the far reaches of the white void.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I think its important to note we still only have imperfect information on the setting from imperfect actors. The one most in the know is Koss, and he's not exactly the most talkative person. If the universe is like a wheel with spokes, there is the question of what's between the spaces.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Renaissance Robot posted:

Sounds a lot like an angel tbh. We already know there's renegades in armour with their own ideas of what the law is, some even having no respect for it at all. Wouldn't surprise me if there's a few egregiously antisocial assholes floating around in the far reaches of the white void.

The angels are extremely knowable, they're simple creatures with directly relatable perspectives who at their best strive to be as deep as the pettiest of humans. They're powerful, but Juggernaut Star and 2 Michael's grand alien motives are literally identical to that of every Rapture freak who votes for whatever party platform most closely matches their interpretation of Revelations in an effort to summon Jesus and bring the end of the world.

Cthulhu is a really terrible example of cosmic horror cause he's ultimately just a big fat squid-headed monster who wants to eat people oooOOOOOO. The root of cosmic horror is existential horror, the idea that all of humanity collectively will never amount to more than any given anthill in the greater scheme of things and there's nothing we can possibly do to matter, it's all those great elder races who were a thousand times more accomplished than mankind and still crumbled into nothingness in a few millennia or amorphous deities who do not even register us as fellow beings. KSBD is about humans literally conquering the Universe through sheer supremacy of will, bringing all the angels and demons to heel and making them serve, and attempting with a great deal of success to replace God.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 14, 2018

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

it's cosmic horror

it's just that humanity is the horror, and not in a 'man is the real monster' way

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

The angels are extremely knowable, they're simple creatures with directly relatable perspectives who at their best strive to be as deep as the pettiest of humans. They're powerful, but Juggernaut Star and 2 Michael's grand alien motives are literally identical to that of every Rapture freak who votes for whatever party platform most closely matches their interpretation of Revelations in an effort to summon Jesus and bring the end of the world.

Cthulhu is a really terrible example of cosmic horror cause he's ultimately just a big fat squid-headed monster who wants to eat people oooOOOOOO. The root of cosmic horror is existential horror, the idea that all of humanity collectively will never amount to more than any given anthill in the greater scheme of things and there's nothing we can possibly do to matter, it's all those great elder races who were a thousand times more accomplished than mankind and still crumbled into nothingness in a few millennia or amorphous deities who do not even register us as fellow beings. KSBD is about humans literally conquering the Universe through sheer supremacy of will, bringing all the angels and demons to heel and making them serve, and attempting with a great deal of success to replace God.

I mean, Cthulhu’s not just that in the original story. He’s a priest of ancient gods who wants to invite humanity to a religion that may well be too alien for their minds and bodies to handle. The fact that he’s big, rubbery, and not a morning person is kind of secondary, and the idea that we’re being visited by the alien equivalent of door-to-door evangelists is the more central and interesting part of The Call of Cthulhu (particularly since it cuts so close to the first-world-problems heart of Lovecraftian cosmic horror, the terror that white European supremacy is fleeting, illusory, and likely to vanish at any moment.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The true Lovecraftian horror is immigrants, apparently.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Apparently? That was barely subtext. Consider The Horror at Red Hook. Lovecraft’s whole thing was the insecurity of a coloniser wondering whether his race really represented the endpoint of civilisation.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Exactly.

Lovecraft was INCREDIBLY racist. He used racism as a metaphor for unknowable cosmic horror and vice-versa. Shadow Over Innsmouth is about miscegenation.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The Rats in the Walls is actually about the existential horror of discovering that you may have an Irish ancestor.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

I thought that was The Shadow over Innsmouth due to the point of view character finding out his blood was corrupted by fish people crossbreeding with his ancestors.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

ChaseSP posted:

I thought that was The Shadow over Innsmouth due to the point of view character finding out his blood was corrupted by fish people crossbreeding with his ancestors.

You'll find it's a running theme with Lovecraft.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

wiegieman posted:

You'll find it's a running theme with Lovecraft.

Practically every other Lovecraft short story has the fundamental hook of 'a person you thought, and maybe they themselves thought, was a WASP, is actually NOT WHITE' in some fashion. Dude was flat terrified not just of the idea that American Anglo-Saxon Protestant culture was doomed to vanish in history, but that he himself (or someone near him) might actually not be a member of that culture at all.

K6BD, meanwhile, treats Allison's culture shock and the fear of the other as basically just a stumbling block on the way to understanding that everyone's in the same game - and the only game in town is the fiery blade of Want. It's not a horror setting, it's a setting where the real danger is losing the will to carry on and become God (or alternatively, the real danger is starting down that path at all, because it's going to suck). Reach heaven through violence is an oath: a promise, but also a curse.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
citizens

Interesting that Sol is having his colosseum built with manual labor, rather than the infinite variety of magic and technology that is surely available to him.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Huh. I wonder if the angle is going to be 1/7 of all creation are happy because they are fanatically self-destructive cultists obsessed with their god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
New page. Next up for Dave: instituting mandatory break times and casual Fridays.

Although it looks like the second one's already in effect.