Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.
24 hours to go on Legacy: The Next World! We've blown through all the stretch goals I had in mind when we launched this thing, but I've got my fingers crossed that we'll be able to get to the final one - a Legacy SRD to give guidance to other folks in making their own playbooks, hacks and full games, as well as a license they can use to publish the resulting works.

If you'd like new playbooks, subsystems or wonders for Legacy, a book adapting it to Game of Thrones-style political fantasy, or accessories and handouts to help you play the game, check out the campaign page!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
We're 48 hours into the Bee Lives campaign and doing great! It would be nice to be funded by now but I'll definitely take being more than 66% funded at this point. I just hope we can hit our goal soon and start working on stretch goals!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/580070528/bee-lives-we-will-only-know-summer

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Don't let your dreams be dreams. 1,741 days later, Camp Grizzly has successfully fulfilled its campaign. THERE IS HOPE TO ALL!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
From the mind that gave us Secret Hitler comes the Voight-Kampff test from Blade Runner: the board game

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
That reminds me: look what came yesterday!

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

jivjov posted:

From the mind that gave us Secret Hitler comes the Voight-Kampff test from Blade Runner: the board game

Definitely backing that the second I get home. That looks intense.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Echophonic posted:

Definitely backing that the second I get home. That looks intense.

My only concern is the fact that the little interview forms are a finite resource. Doesn't look like anything that can't be proxied with a sheet of paper...but the feelies seem like a really big part of the experience here

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I asked over in the SotDL thread but nobody replied - does the blackstar kickstarter looking good to anybody?

I can't tell if it's awesome go all-in or if it's horrible shovelware avoid at all costs. There's some PF names attached that scare me, but they have hit enough stretch goals that the content looks like a good value-for-money deal.

That is, assuming the content isn't pure SKR grade "mouse cords are hard" barf.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

moths posted:

I asked over in the SotDL thread but nobody replied - does the blackstar kickstarter looking good to anybody?

I can't tell if it's awesome go all-in or if it's horrible shovelware avoid at all costs. There's some PF names attached that scare me, but they have hit enough stretch goals that the content looks like a good value-for-money deal.

That is, assuming the content isn't pure SKR grade "mouse cords are hard" barf.

Okay, so, here's the thing.

I don't know how good the book is going to be. However, monster design in general is one of the weakest points in stock SotDL. I love the game, but it sucks at this. It sucks enough that I started reverse-engineering the monster math on my own time to try to hammer some sense into it, and only stopped because it was taking too much time and school got in the way.

The game desperately needs good monster supplements. But if those supplements take the core book bestiary as a standard to aspire to, they are not going to be good.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The quality of writing on the campaign page doesn’t make me super excited.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

jivjov posted:

This seems more of a semi-improv game rather than a party game. I can't really imagine playing it with people I don't know already, and the rules seem a little bit thin for what, since the game is essentially someone asking questions and the other person has constraints on their speech. Like when I read that it was a voight-kampff game I was excited but this doesn't really seem to be that interesting to me.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tekopo posted:

This seems more of a semi-improv game rather than a party game. I can't really imagine playing it with people I don't know already, and the rules seem a little bit thin for what, since the game is essentially someone asking questions and the other person has constraints on their speech. Like when I read that it was a voight-kampff game I was excited but this doesn't really seem to be that interesting to me.

Yeah, it definitely is gonna require participants to get in the vibe of improv roleplaying...but I have a group I play Fiasco with, so hopefully this'll be our jam too.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Oh, I forgot to mention in here...I finally got my copy of Mint Works in the mail. I'm a tiny bit cranky because they included the promo...which I didn't originally pledge for, so I had bought a copy on my own while waiting for my copy to arrive. Could have saved myself $5

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I get the impression the Blackstar crew isn't English primary speakers, but they seem to have plenty of English speakers on board. I don't know why SotDL is so big in Itally. Maybe it resonates with giallo fans.

I didn't realize the original monsters were lacking, so a book of late-design monsters is probably worth the $40 and then the extra $20 for all the bonus content in PDF. If it's a flaming disaster, at least the art was cool.

And if it's all quality, that's even better.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

jivjov posted:

Hmm, looks interesting, so long as Temkin isn't involved.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

jivjov posted:

Looks great, but shipping is more than the base game for me and the FAQ states they are not going to work on it.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

madadric posted:

I've opened my Kickstarter for Imulse Drive!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1743149756/impulse-drive

Impulse Drive is a space opera roleplaying game about Misfits and Spaceships, using the Powered By The Apocalypse engine, popularized by games like Apocalypse World, Monsterhearts, Dungeon World, and Masks. Play as a crew of volatile, bombastic scoundrels and troublemakers as they navigate dangerous situations involving deadly environments, untrustworthy NPCs, and strange aliens.

This campaign will raise the funds to pay some very skilled professionals familiar with RPG design and Kickstarter funded publishing and turn Impulse Drive into a fully realized Print on Demand book, printed and distributed through Drivethu RPG.

Impulse Drive is rules complete. If you want to check the game out before backing, the Preview version of Impulse Drive is available through Drivethru now. This link will always have an art-free version of the most up to date rules available as Pay What You Want, so that people who cannot afford to buy the game can still play.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/190933/Impulse-Drive-Preview

Impulse Drive is nearly at 75% on its 5th day, which i'm really happy about. I've shifted some of the stretch goals around and added a new one to give folks better value for their money. i'm writing a Deep Space Nine style ship-setting playbook and it's coming along really nicely with a core tension I really like.

Free Spacer also looks really cool, but it needs a big push in the last 4 days. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/429765734/free-spacer-a-sandbox-starship-tabletop-rpg

Ravendas
Sep 29, 2001

BioTech posted:

Looks great, but shipping is more than the base game for me and the FAQ states they are not going to work on it.

They're not even looking at doing multiple orders per pledge to split shipping costs, which is crazy. It seems that has been standard for awhile.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

jivjov posted:

Looks awesome and I support the 1 pledge level straight forwardness.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I finally got my softcover of Sigmata.

It's better than I expected. Those lovely factions are a much smaller portion of the game than I'd expected.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
Only 4 days left for the reprint of Channel A, possibly the best party card game I've ever played https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evilhat/channel-a-alpha-genesis-edition

clockworkjoe fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Sep 15, 2018

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

dwarf74 posted:

It's better than I expected. Those lovely factions are a much smaller portion of the game than I'd expected.

There's going to be alt settings with different power groups, so it'll be interesting to see how you can mix and match.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I got my replacement monster card today because Orc Stabr is literally the greatest Kickstarter ever.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Did anyone back Empires of the Void II? Got it in a library sale and am very curious how good it is.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

rydiafan posted:

I got my replacement monster card today because Orc Stabr is literally the greatest Kickstarter ever.

Me too! Thanks, Limm!

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler

silvergoose posted:

Did anyone back Empires of the Void II? Got it in a library sale and am very curious how good it is.

It's okay. Once you understand the rules and get rolling it's not complicated but the rule book is not great. Biggest negative was the setup, took forever.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

silvergoose posted:

It's got nice component quality and the theme is fairly unusual (players all have their own Star Trek style enterprise and toole around building influence with local races and having little skirmishes)

I have only played it once but some of mechanics seemed half baked, mainly there was no obvious reason to use certain actions (scavenge or salvage or something similar was just a trap choice as far as I could tell)

I'd like to play it a couple more times but I'm not sure it quite ends up being the little story generator it tried to be

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

dwarf74 posted:

Can't say I'd mind hearing more. How does it move past the impression that it originally gave off?

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I also had concerns about Sigmata's factions, but I like how that they're really just the flip side of each other. (Played straight, the Religious group seems perfectly good, hiding people from the State, being a beacon of hope.. then if they get too powerful then the fundies come out who are fine with black people and brown people, but think two guys who kiss should be stoned to death).

Basically, you choose to support your factions through missions, and while this may be a reason to min max "I don't trust the Makers, so I ain't gonna do any of their stuff..", if you use the Great betrayal rules, when that high faction fails the check and turns into the new gestapo, you're going to wish that you had access to the features of the group (It basically wipes out the highest loyalty faction left, and turns it into "Remnants of the Regime + The Betrayers vs The People)

And if you want, your character can have an affinity for a group, (which doubles the rewards for that faction), but if that faction is the Betrayer, then the character becomes a Jammer, afilliates with the Regime and becomes a NPC.)

It's going to take some gtetting used to (especially as people can take actions to lower other people's Exposure.)

edit: Signal Wars is going to be another interesting thing. If the Resistance is on the ropes, then you're not going to want to Ignite the Signal unless ABSOLUTELY necessary, because three bad rolls is all it takes to turn into death squad time (Anyone ending a turn with 10 or more exposure is removed from the campaign). Kinda fits the setting well, if thingts are going well, the Regime is spending all its time with other issues going on and they can't pounce on the signal quickly.. however, if the Resistance is getting crushed, then the Regime will have Fisters ready to clamp down at a moment's notice.

edit 2: I think what I'm worried about is that it's going to turn into a numbers crunching exercise "Well, if I do that, Tony does this, and then Mary does that,. we should be alright" where one person tries to dictate whateveryone should do.

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Sep 16, 2018

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

LongDarkNight posted:

It's okay. Once you understand the rules and get rolling it's not complicated but the rule book is not great. Biggest negative was the setup, took forever.

Timing for 2p wouldn't be too bad for an evening, though, right?

Mojo Jojo posted:

It's got nice component quality and the theme is fairly unusual (players all have their own Star Trek style enterprise and toole around building influence with local races and having little skirmishes)

I have only played it once but some of mechanics seemed half baked, mainly there was no obvious reason to use certain actions (scavenge or salvage or something similar was just a trap choice as far as I could tell)

I'd like to play it a couple more times but I'm not sure it quite ends up being the little story generator it tried to be

Alright, thanks.

For a dollar it seemed worth grabbing. :v:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

The Bee posted:

Can't say I'd mind hearing more. How does it move past the impression that it originally gave off?
I'll get back to you. This was from a fairly cursory overview.

The dice mechanics are weird - I'd like to see them math'd out. You always roll 5 dice - take a number of d10 equal to your skill, and d6 to round it off. 6+ is a success, 1 is a botch. I have a deep loathing of botch rules from a 1e Mage game I played, but this at least controls a few of the variables that made Storyteller suck so bad.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I was given empires of the void (one) for free because it was “TI-lite” and I still haven’t played it lol. Honestly don’t know if I will since I already have forbidden Stars.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
High Plains Samurai (the non-GMS Cowboys and Qi Powers game) just released its final pdf to backers. The print and DriveThru versions should be out in a few weeks which puts it at about a month late.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

High Plains Samurai (the non-GMS Cowboys and Qi Powers game) just released its final pdf to backers. The print and DriveThru versions should be out in a few weeks which puts it at about a month late.
I've honestly been hoping that they got the game out before GMS got Far West out, because they did "kung fu western" much better and with better mechanics.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Evil Mastermind posted:

I've honestly been hoping that they got the game out before GMS got Far West out, because they did "kung fu western" much better and with better mechanics.

I also sometimes hope that the sun will rise.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

That Old Tree posted:

I also sometimes hope that the sun will rise.
Well yeah, it wasn't exactly a risky bet, but it's still funny.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

SirFozzie posted:

I also had concerns about Sigmata's factions, but I like how that they're really just the flip side of each other. (Played straight, the Religious group seems perfectly good, hiding people from the State, being a beacon of hope.. then if they get too powerful then the fundies come out who are fine with black people and brown people, but think two guys who kiss should be stoned to death).

Basically, you choose to support your factions through missions, and while this may be a reason to min max "I don't trust the Makers, so I ain't gonna do any of their stuff..", if you use the Great betrayal rules, when that high faction fails the check and turns into the new gestapo, you're going to wish that you had access to the features of the group (It basically wipes out the highest loyalty faction left, and turns it into "Remnants of the Regime + The Betrayers vs The People)

And if you want, your character can have an affinity for a group, (which doubles the rewards for that faction), but if that faction is the Betrayer, then the character becomes a Jammer, afilliates with the Regime and becomes a NPC.)

It's going to take some gtetting used to (especially as people can take actions to lower other people's Exposure.)

edit: Signal Wars is going to be another interesting thing. If the Resistance is on the ropes, then you're not going to want to Ignite the Signal unless ABSOLUTELY necessary, because three bad rolls is all it takes to turn into death squad time (Anyone ending a turn with 10 or more exposure is removed from the campaign). Kinda fits the setting well, if thingts are going well, the Regime is spending all its time with other issues going on and they can't pounce on the signal quickly.. however, if the Resistance is getting crushed, then the Regime will have Fisters ready to clamp down at a moment's notice.

edit 2: I think what I'm worried about is that it's going to turn into a numbers crunching exercise "Well, if I do that, Tony does this, and then Mary does that,. we should be alright" where one person tries to dictate whateveryone should do.

I'm still glad I bailed on that KS. None of that sounds remotely fun to play.

A drawn out version of the already interminable Arkham Horror Death Spiral is not a good thing.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

On a general TG Kickstarter note:

I just bought a late pledge of Street Masters: Rise of the Kingdom and it's freakin' great as a beat-em-up take on Sentinels of the Multiverse. Tons of content if you're into modular hero+enemy+stage randomization, plus there's a couple story campaigns if you want to play that way. I know goons were knocking it for the obvious rip-offs of Street Fighter/Celebrity character art, but that's kind of the point, it's intended to be using those characters with the serial numbers filed off.

There's a reprint & expansion Kickstarter planned for October, so I'd watch for that. Highly recommended, the Sadler brothers are really top-notch game designers (they worked on Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game before FFG lost the license, which is getting rebooted into Heroes of Terrinoth later this fall).

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Evil Mastermind posted:

It looks really nice, with original art even...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

JazzFlight posted:

On a general TG Kickstarter note:

I just bought a late pledge of Street Masters: Rise of the Kingdom and it's freakin' great as a beat-em-up take on Sentinels of the Multiverse. Tons of content if you're into modular hero+enemy+stage randomization, plus there's a couple story campaigns if you want to play that way. I know goons were knocking it for the obvious rip-offs of Street Fighter/Celebrity character art, but that's kind of the point, it's intended to be using those characters with the serial numbers filed off.

There's a reprint & expansion Kickstarter planned for October, so I'd watch for that. Highly recommended, the Sadler brothers are really top-notch game designers (they worked on Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game before FFG lost the license, which is getting rebooted into Heroes of Terrinoth later this fall).
If I remember correctly, goons weren't knocking it for the art being obvious rip-offs, but because the art was literally palette-swapped art from various fighting games. I can't find it on that page though, so maybe they took the stolen art assets down?

EDIT: nope, still there, lol

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Sep 16, 2018