Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

bushisms.txt posted:

That's not even the worst of it, apparently the nes joycons are locked behind the subwall, as in they ONLY work with the online vc app.

And it's per account!

Lol that can't even be used in handheld.

They've learned nothing since the WiiU GC controller I see. You couldn't use that with anything but Smash U and it wouldn't surprised me if the Switch one is the same (or even just literally the same controller).

I'm really happy with my nice 8bitdo super famicon controller though, they do 4 button NES style controllers too if someone was dead set on using something that looked like one of those old monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Is this thead still broken from the direct? Cause I want to talk about The Messenger.

I was told the humor was bad but it reminds me of the old Sierra adventure games, which owns.

I enjoyed the stories.
It's self-referential and tried a bit too hard to be "jokey" but it's perfectly passable and the game is good so who gives a poo poo about the minor dialogue.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Improbable Lobster posted:

Y'all know that cloud saves are just a backup of the saves already on your console right?

gently caress you, if they let me upload my saves to the cloud I will delete my save every time I stop playing my Switch because it's in the Cloud and if I let my subscription lapse at the same instant I hurl my Switch into the darkest depths of the ocean and lose my saves because of it, then it's Nintendo's fault for not making a better $20/year subscription service!!!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

MZ posted:

I don't think the Switch player base is even close to being in the billions yet but welcome to capitalism.

Switch is currently at 20 million units and rising. If 10% buy a year subscription, that's $40 million right off the bat. That's only going to go up.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Gonna be thought police here and say that for $1.50/month your opinion about online should either be "sure I like to play games online" or "I don't really play online games so I'm not going to worry about it."

Corporations don't deserve your money just because a bad service is cheap.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Shoehead posted:

They've learned nothing since the WiiU GC controller I see. You couldn't use that with anything but Smash U and it wouldn't surprised me if the Switch one is the same (or even just literally the same controller).

The WiiU GC adapter already works with the Switch, and works at the system level so it's compatible with all games provided the button mapping makes sense. The Switch GC adapter is probably the same unit with a different logo printed on it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Shoehead posted:

You can already use Smash GameCube controllers on it if you have the adapter (which is almost certainly the same) and they work in other games

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

RME posted:

also, consider plenty of other cloud services that are aimed at personal consumer use have some kind of retention on lapsing
google drive will basically freeze your storage until you get it back under:

If you cancel your storage plan or when your storage plan expires, your storage limits will reset to the free levels for each product at the end of your billing cycle. Everything in Google Drive, Google Photos, and Gmail will still be accessible, but you won't be able to create or add anything new over the free storage limit. If you reach or exceed the free storage limit:
Google Drive: You won't be able to sync or upload new files. Syncing between your computer's Google Drive folder and My Drive will stop. You can still create Google documents because they don't take up any storage space.

even more professionally aimed stuff like B2 will have a 2 week grace before they delete stuff, it's really kind of uncommon to delete things the instant there's a lapse, if only because it could require unnecessary uploading/downloading

There is a huge difference between these services.

Worst case scenario for Google Drive or Dropbox deleting your data is you potentially lose important files for your business for paying clients, completely loving you over and putting you in legal jeopardy.

Worst case scenario for Switch... maybe you lose your Zelda save and you have to start the game over again?

Seriously. the edge case in this situation is that their subscription ends Sept 18th 2019, their credit card gets lost or compromised on the same day and the subscription service cannot renew, and then they lose or damage their switch on Sept 19th before they can update their credit card information. And then absolutely worst case scenario is you have to start a game over again. Like... it's such an odd and hypothetical situation to be in that I cannot even fathom why people are so worried about it happening to them, other than to just bitch and moan about it

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

How do those board games work locally? Isn't a pretty huge fuckin deal you need to know your tiles and cards secretly?

Generally there is a full screen dialog box type thing between turns that the next player has to OK before any of that is visible in other games.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

Corporations don't deserve your money just because a bad service is cheap.

we're all hosed over by corporations on a daily basis, and for a lot more money than this. the only reason this minor instance is getting any attention is because *nintendo fans*. like when a literal advertisement video got delayed last week because of a natural disaster and a large vocal group of nintendo fans were outraged.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

we're all hosed over by corporations on a daily basis, and for a lot more money than this. the only reason this minor instance is getting any attention is because *nintendo fans*. like when a literal advertisement video got delayed last week because of a natural disaster and a large vocal group of nintendo fans were outraged.

Yeah people have never complained about microsoft and sony making you pay for online :jerkbag:

Andrast fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 14, 2018

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

Astro7x posted:

Worst case scenario for Google Drive or Dropbox deleting your data is you potentially lose important files for your business for paying clients, completely loving you over and putting you in legal jeopardy.

Worst case scenario for Switch... maybe you lose your Zelda save and you have to start the game over again?

Seriously. the edge case in this situation is that their subscription ends Sept 18th 2019, their credit card gets lost or compromised on the same day and the subscription service cannot renew, and then they lose or damage their switch on Sept 19th before they can update their credit card information. And then absolutely worst case scenario is you have to start a game over again. Like... it's such an odd and hypothetical situation to be in that I cannot even fathom why people are so worried about it happening to them, other than to just bitch and moan about it

Well said!

Although I think to err on the side of caution I'm going to open a new credit card exclusively for Nintendi Online and make sure it's expiration date is 6 months from the end of my current Nintendo Online sub. That way I'll have six months to correct any new CC issues to preserve my video game saves that I'll likely never load again.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Fitzy Fitz posted:

:lol: your answer is literally, "Corporations are going to win anyway, might as well give them your money!"

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Mister Facetious posted:

:lol: your answer is literally, "Corporations are going to win anyway, might as well give them your money!"

it's "you're disproportionately upset about this"

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Elman posted:

Say you're not gonna be playing your Switch for a while. You cancel your online subscription and just let it sit cause you're busy or you're playing something else at the time.

...And then your house floods, your Switch gets stolen or something else goes wrong with your console Suddenly all your saves are gone even though you supposedly paid Nintendo to store them. And the only way around this is if you actively keep paying for a service you're not currently using (since they won't allow us to backup our saves to an SD card, in order to make their online service seem more appealing).

Nice.

If my house got flooded, game saves are at the bottom of my list of concerns and priorities.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

This video is always being shared haha!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Fitzy Fitz posted:

it's "you're disproportionately upset about this"

yeah how dare they say negative things about nintendo's switch online service in the nintendo switch thread

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Andrast posted:

Yeah people have never complainend about microsoft and sony making you pay for online :jerkbag:

It's not just that though...

Everyone knew from the start that there was going to be Nintendo Online. It was supposed to be like a 3 month free trial when Splatoon launched, and then launch sometime in fall of last year. This was known well before anyone even purchased a Switch.

It got delayed a year, and now people are acting like the service was always free and they are taking it away and giving you "literally nothing in return".

I would probably balk at it more if they were offering the same service for $60, but $20 is an appropriate price for what they are offering us, IMO

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Astro7x posted:

psn retains for 6 months
ms retains for forever

nintendo is still the odd one out lol

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

RME posted:

psn retains for 6 months
ms retains for forever

but nintendo makes the mario game i like

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Astro7x posted:

It's not just that though...

Everyone knew from the start that there was going to be Nintendo Online. It was supposed to be like a 3 month free trial when Splatoon launched, and then launch sometime in fall of last year. This was known well before anyone even purchased a Switch.

It got delayed a year, and now people are acting like the service was always free and they are taking it away and giving you "literally nothing in return".

I would probably balk at it more if they were offering the same service for $60, but $20 is an appropriate price for what they are offering us, IMO

It's poo poo

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

RME posted:

psn retains for 6 months
ms retains for forever

PSN is $60.
MS is $60.

Nintendo Online is $20.

Nintendo is still the odd one out lol

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
If my ability to read this thread was subscription based I'd let my sub lapse for a few weeks until we talk about fun video games again.

In an effort to resume video game chat:

Who's playing monhun? What weapons are you enjoying and why are your enjoying them?

I'll start. I just opened up village 5 star quests and I'm really enjoyinf sword and shield because I have one that paralyzes monsters. Combine that with stamina drain oil and aerial style and you can really dish out the damage and keep monsters from.running around too much.

I'm trying to get into HH but I'm crippled by indecision, which horn should I use?!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I bought Nintendo stock last week and now I'm wishing it waited to do it this week.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Astro7x posted:

PSN is $60.
MS is $60.

Nintendo Online is $20.

It's okay if it sucks poo poo because it's cheap is a terrible argument

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Pretty surprised the membership doesn't come with some bonuses for their mobile games. Like for every month you're subscribed you get whatever a $1 IAP gets you in the game of your choice.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Astro7x posted:

PSN is $60.
MS is $60.

Nintendo Online is $20.

you actually dont have to pay for MS's cloud saves

and PSN is 60, but that extra 40 dollars isnt going towards 6 month of data retention

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

RZA Encryption posted:

Pretty surprised the membership doesn't come with some bonuses for their mobile games. Like for every month you're subscribed you get whatever a $1 IAP gets you in the game of your choice.

It does get you whatever a $1 IAP gets you in Fire Emblem Heroes!

nothing

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

I think Nintendo knows very few people still care about NES games.

They probably got mixed messages from all those NES Minis flying off shelves and the demands for another wave of them to be produced. I mean the only reason it was so crazy is that they made SO FEW, but I don't think they're taking that into account.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Sakurazuka posted:

It's okay if it sucks poo poo because it's cheap is a terrible argument
That's literally the argument that all cheap things are based on. If it's not worth $20 to you that's fine, but comparing it to other, pricier things and expecting the same quality is dumb.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shoehead posted:

The WiiU wasn't intended to have a four-port hub for a ten-year-old console controller jammed in via USB, so most games literally cant see them. The Gamecube controller also lacks an LZ-equivalent button and a select button, so it'd be pointless anyway. The Switch version does indeed use the exact same controller hub because it just uses USB ports.

The NES controllers only being compatible with NES games is the same issue - they lack a thumbstick and key buttons that most games utilize, so it's no surprise they're saying they don't work with current releases. Any compatibility achieved needs to be done by the individual developers.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Sep 14, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

American McGay posted:

That's literally the argument that all cheap things are based on. If it's not worth $20 to you that's fine, but comparing it to other, pricier things and expecting the same quality is dumb.

I could compare it to steam which is free

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

People defending the Nintendo online service have brain problems. It's cheap and it sucks

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Anyone want to speculate what the Special Bonus to online may be? Obvious answer is free (bad) games or discounts. I'm just hoping for more Nintendo Power or MyNintendo style tchotchkes, pointless but kind of cool things.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Anyone want to speculate what the Special Bonus to online may be? Obvious answer is free (bad) games or discounts. I'm just hoping for more Nintendo Power or MyNintendo style tchotchkes, pointless but kind of cool things.
It's going to be like $3 off of select 8 month old Nintendo games. I sincerely doubt they'll offer anything free like Game Pass or PS+.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

People defending the Nintendo online service have brain problems. It's cheap and it sucks

Glad that’s settled. Whew.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

at the end of the day i'm spending 20 bucks to play splatoon and smash for a year which i'm fine with and anything else is just a nice bonus or a crappy bonus

granted it's more crappy bonuses than nice bonuses but still

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

100YrsofAttitude posted:

The priviledge to buy NES controllers for 60 bucks

E: Full disclosure, I'm like 80% certain I'm buying the famicom ones

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I think they've made clear the direction that's going on. Not free or discounted stuff, rather, it's stuff you can buy only if you're a member. The NES controllers for example are only available to members.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
honestly I don't think nintendo is charging ENOUGH for this online service. maybe have it start at $20 but then add another $1 for every NES game they release??

• Locked thread