Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wish more idiots would stay behind during hurricanes that would own me real hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

NorgLyle posted:

Almost every natural disaster has at least one of these. I'm from Washington State and was alive in 1980 and we had a whole weird semi-heroic profile thing going for this one old gently caress who lived on Mt Saint Helens and refused to leave even when people came to tell him 'your house is literally going to explode some time in the next couple of days'. I was five for the actual eruption but I remember reading about this idiot when I was in first grade and not being able to understand why an adult throwing a tantrum and refusing to leave was a newsworthy thing but when I did it at Chuck E Cheese I just got in trouble.

so what happened to that guy was he ok

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

no one actually gives a poo poo about flag code so i've gotta side with the subhumans on this one

stand for are flag

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

on a related note, these are from the official US flag code

Got em... They have to stop being Republicans now that they've been owned by their own logic!

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Cause of death: Killed by volcano eruption pyroclastic flow

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_R._Truman

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT
Oct 14, 2016

A thinking, breathing house? You're mad!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

He was buried under 46 metres of volcanic debris.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SENTIENT HOUSEMEAT posted:

He was buried under 46 metres of volcanic debris.

did he survive

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

quote:

Truman was alone at his lodge with his 16 cats

gently caress that guy

cnut
May 3, 2016

Epic High Five posted:

did he survive

Some say he still lives on the mountain.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
lol that they put that guy on a plaque but not as a cautionary tale

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

cnut posted:

Some say he still lives on the mountain.

He picked a good hill to die on

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
The kooky WA State governor at the time only encouraged his behavior publicly, which led to some speculation that had she kept her mouth shut, maybe Harry could have been convinced to come down the mountain.

That's politicians advocating stupid poo poo for ya.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TotalLossBrain posted:

The kooky WA State governor at the time only encouraged his behavior publicly, which led to some speculation that had she kept her mouth shut, maybe Harry could have been convinced to come down the mountain.

They named one of the new features of the mountain after him

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

that man had information that could lead to the arrest of one Hillary Rodham Clinton

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

They named one of the new features of the mountain after him

was it the small hump of volcanic rock that used to be an old idiot and 16 cats?

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
my favorite part of the dead idiots wiki:

quote:

Truman told reporters that he was knocked from his bed by precursor earthquakes, so he responded by moving his mattress to the basement. He claimed to wear spurs to bed to cope with the earthquakes while he slept. He scoffed at the public's concern for his safety, responding to scientists' claims about the threat of the volcano that "the mountain has shot its wad and it hasn't hurt my place a bit, but those goddamn geologists with their hair down to their butts wouldn't pay no attention to ol' Truman."

god damned crystal worshiping hippy geologists

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

He died the way he lived; shrieking in agony as he was buried by burning earth.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

TotalLossBrain posted:

Dixy Lee Ray? Yeah, she was a rare one. Complete nutter, and a rabid wingnut to boot.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

NorgLyle posted:

He died the way he lived; owning the libs.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Spirit lake is cool as gently caress worth a visit if you can do it

that guy was 83 what a kick rear end way to die

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BraveUlysses posted:

Spirit lake is cool as gently caress worth a visit if you can do it

that guy was 83 what a kick rear end way to die

he dragged like 16 cats down with him and im not a huge cat fan but i also think you shouldnt ensure their death via magma

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Blast of Confetti posted:

he dragged like 16 cats down with him and im not a huge cat fan but i also think you shouldnt ensure their death via magma

You ever try to drown a bunch of cats in lava? Harder than it looks. I wouldn't be worried about those cats.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Uh magma is the stuff that's underground you loving idiot. You loving moron. It was death via lava you god damned piece of sh*t

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
owned

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

how the gently caress are you gonna come in here and talk about how we need to legislate molten rock when you don't even know the difference between magma and lava smdh REPORTED

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

He was a mushbrain imbecile and I'm not sure why people expect intelligent decisions from people like that.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Epic High Five posted:

how the gently caress are you gonna come in here and talk about how we need to legislate molten rock when you don't even know the difference between magma and lava smdh REPORTED

Stupid bitch probably doesn't know the difference between pyroclastic and porphyritic texture

cnut
May 3, 2016

Mods?!?!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Stupid bitch probably doesn't know the difference between pyroclastic and porphyritic texture

this one lib the other day said that Kilauea was prone to explosive eruptions, can you loving believe the poo poo I have to put up with

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Epic High Five posted:

this one lib the other day said that Kilauea was prone to explosive eruptions, can you loving believe the poo poo I have to put up with

:hmbol: imagine thinking a oceanic hot spot volcano has explosive eruptions

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

(me irl: "finally, a use for my geology degree")

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

bringing new meaning to the phrase "Overton Window"

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

MAGMAmerica great again.

Vote volcanic death in the midterm elections.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

runupon cracker posted:

bringing new meaning to the phrase "Overton Window"

It's like peasants right before the French Revolution trying to petition the king to stop getting hosed over so hard by their landlords

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
TBH there are hundreds of worse ways to die than buried by a volcano at the age of 83.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Blarghalt posted:

It's like peasants right before the French Revolution trying to petition the king to stop getting hosed over so hard by their landlords

i really like this exerpt

quote:

In her book A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous Fourteenth Century, Barbara Tuchman writes about a peasant revolt in 1358 that began in the village of St. Leu and spread throughout the Oise Valley. At one estate, the serfs sacked the manor house, killed the knight, and roasted him on a spit in front of his wife and kids. Then, after ten or twelve peasants violated the lady, with the children still watching, they forced her to eat the roasted flesh of her dead husband and then killed her.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

on a related note, these are from the official US flag code

Flag code doesn't apply to pennants and symbolic representations of American flags

None of those examples are actually American flags by the standard of the code

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

selec
Sep 6, 2003

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

i really like this exerpt

imagine how thoroughly dehumanized you are and/or bereft of any human sentiment or connection with your oppressors to do something like that. i wonder if its borne entirely from the level of cruelty visited upon them by the oppressor class as much as its just the accepted rules of engagement for both sides? Haitian revolution also had many examples like this; my gut says its the level of disparity that drives it; to see them living so well while you are so low, and you knowing that this is what they expect of you anyway.

an interesting comparison is the lack of similar examples in American slaveholding states. there were constant rumors and even panics over slave revolts, which were almost unheard of in reality. and I havent heard of really any stories of slave revenge against the former master about the US either.

selec has issued a correction as of 23:15 on Sep 14, 2018