Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

SKULL.GIF posted:

I never found that argument convincing at all. Imagine what Jim Brown would look like if he grew up today having access to modern sports medicine and training methods (and growth hormones). Why do his opponents get the benefit of that doubt but Brown doesn't?

I think I agree but I cant stop thinking about if Jim Brown had growth hormones and all that poo poo back then he would have been so hilariously dominant I think other teams would refuse to play against him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

I dunno what you could mean.

At least he was 60 years old in that picture

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Did Jim Brown even do weight training?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

pasaluki posted:

I think I agree but I cant stop thinking about if Jim Brown had growth hormones and all that poo poo back then he would have been so hilariously dominant I think other teams would refuse to play against him

At that point you probably just line up in the wing T, have Jim stand 10 yards to take the snap and long snap and let him treat every play like a punt return

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

If Drew Brees had played in the 70s people would look back and say he'd never make it now

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

When you didn't think it could get dumber than exotic smashmouth

https://twitter.com/jwyattsports/status/1040665222502146048

okay yeah I may be done with Vrabel if he's not just bullshitting here.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

cavallingus posted:

On a scale of Dilfer to Romo, how's Arians?

Please, I’m begging you, stop showing every Titans game here.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jonathan Fisk posted:

If Drew Brees had played in the 70s people would look back and say he'd never make it now

I mean in general I have a simple rule that no accomplishments from before a league integrated mean jack poo poo but aside from that, the NFL pre and post 1978 are basically an entirely different sport.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

pasaluki posted:

All I can think of when I read that is this video from that super shortlived Onion show on CC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BjOiPkueto

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

King Hong Kong posted:

Do you live in Medford Or?

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Kalli posted:

I mean in general I have a simple rule that no accomplishments from before a league integrated mean jack poo poo but aside from that, the NFL pre and post 1978 are basically an entirely different sport.

What if Jim Brown was black

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

Do you live in Medford Or?

In the Medford TV market.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

King Hong Kong posted:

Is that not a secondary market for the niners, raiders, or seahawks so you get defaulted to the butt game?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jonathan Fisk posted:

What if Jim Brown was black

I know Jim Brown was black smart guy. The NFL was still mostly segregated, with most teams having official / unofficial quotas of black players, and whenever possible, they limited them to specific positions to keep their numbers artificially low, leading to most of the good black players of that era to end up in the AFL.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

Is that not a secondary market for the niners, raiders, or seahawks so you get defaulted to the butt game?

The reason is Mariota, who I don’t think anyone in Oregon still cares about and certainly not where I am.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
All markets should show Mariota's games, imo

He may not have a functioning arm anymore, though.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Kalli posted:

I know Jim Brown was black smart guy. The NFL was still mostly segregated, with most teams having official / unofficial quotas of black players, and whenever possible, they limited them to specific positions to keep their numbers artificially low, leading to most of the good black players of that era to end up in the AFL.

Yeah ofc but the "records don't matter before integration" attitude, while morally commendable, ignores the fact that white players excelled in an integrated AFL

Negro League players could have been stars in the MLB but that doesn't mean babe Ruth would have washed out. You're not talking about college v pro caliber players

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Kalli posted:

I normally agree with you Kalli, but you could have had Jim Brown in an integrated league, or in an all black league, probably even a robot league and he still would have hosed everyone up.

The fact that he trampled over a bunch of pasty white guys is funny, but make no mistake that he was not a loving great running back.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Note that his current username is 'A Man and His Dog' IIRC which might be the cause of some confusion

I thought it was now 'A Man and His Hog'?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Yeah ofc but the "records don't matter before integration" attitude, while morally commendable, ignores the fact that white players excelled in an integrated AFL

Negro League players could have been stars in the MLB but that doesn't mean babe Ruth would have washed out. You're not talking about college v pro caliber players

Yeah, and my argument is simply that Jim Brown isn't the "greatest RB" ever, he's just among them somewhere, due to playing in an era that was too different from modern players.

pasaluki posted:

I normally agree with you Kalli, but you could have had Jim Brown in an integrated league, or in an all black league, probably even a robot league and he still would have hosed everyone up.

The fact that he trampled over a bunch of pasty white guys is funny, but make no mistake that he was not a loving great running back.

Yeah, I'm just saying Barry's better, that's all.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

pubic works project posted:

I thought it was now 'A Man and His Hog'?
that's not rg3 btw

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Bip Roberts posted:

Did Jim Brown even do weight training?

I think he did some boxing in the offseason.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

cavallingus posted:

that's not rg3 btw

Who is it?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jim Brown would've been the greatest if he just beat the poo poo out of Art Modell when he told him to stop making movies and show up early for training camp.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Kalli posted:

Yeah, and my argument is simply that Jim Brown isn't the "greatest RB" ever, he's just among them somewhere, due to playing in an era that was too different

Sure, but does it then follow that as sports science and training improves the best player of each new generation is the best player of all time?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Kalli posted:

Jim Brown would've been the greatest if he just beat the poo poo out of Art Modell when he told him to stop making movies and show up early for training camp.

Imo he should have beat nfl owners but not women

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

King Hong Kong posted:

Ooh! Are you a Shakespeare guy, or do you just live in Grants Pass

Also loving hell GOAT arguments are tired

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Sure, but does it then follow that as sports science and training improves the best player of each new generation is the best player of all time?

It's mostly the fault of football itself, where the league just has drastically shifted multiple times over the decades, but I find that the way the talent gap shrank throughout the 70's along with the sheer number of rule changes that occurred leading up to '78 which coincidentally led to all the great QB's of the 80's basically defining the position to be the best delineation point.

And even there you can look at what Marino had to deal with in '84 compared to the baby soft coverages 2013 Peyton was passing against and argue for further breakdowns, but I think in general you can point to players of the last 4 years and go yeah, he's the best and not worry about it too much.

Like despite being a giant Moss homer, I'm fine with Jerry Rice as the greatest WR, or Reggie White as pass rusher or Ray Lewis as murderer.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

actually the best running back of all time was Marion Motley

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Jonathan Fisk posted:

In like the distant future Jeff Tuel IV will be considered the best player ever due to his cybernetic implants and literal homing missle arm.

People will look at the greats now like we do Jim Brown.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

Some discord weirdo.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Alaois posted:

actually the best running back of all time was Marion Motley

not nearly enough respect for Jim Thorpe in this thread

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

cavallingus posted:

that's not rg3 btw

Yes it is.

King Hong Kong posted:

I'm glad Andrew Luck is back because the Indy games keep expanding into my area. Without him, Colts games never were broadcast here.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I would just like to point out how much bullshit that map posted earlier consists of, given that the Chiefs should clearly be the team for Kansas that is not based in Kansas.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

No Butt Stuff posted:

I would just like to point out how much bullshit that map posted earlier consists of, given that the Chiefs should clearly be the team for Kansas that is not based in Kansas.

I refuse to believe the Bucs have out of state fans. We don't even have in state fans.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

No Butt Stuff posted:

I thought you were referring to the coverage maps for a second and was really confused

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm kind of surprised, probably no 90+ games in Foxborough, but there's been an awful lot of hot septembers in Miami.

https://twitter.com/NickSpada/status/1040669331233943552

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Rodgers is officially listed as questionable against the Vikings. :rip: Packers even if he ends up playing

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Kalli posted:

It's mostly the fault of football itself, where the league just has drastically shifted multiple times over the decades, but I find that the way the talent gap shrank throughout the 70's along with the sheer number of rule changes that occurred leading up to '78 which coincidentally led to all the great QB's of the 80's basically defining the position to be the best delineation point.

And even there you can look at what Marino had to deal with in '84 compared to the baby soft coverages 2013 Peyton was passing against and argue for further breakdowns, but I think in general you can point to players of the last 4 years and go yeah, he's the best and not worry about it too much.

Like despite being a giant Moss homer, I'm fine with Jerry Rice as the greatest WR, or Reggie White as pass rusher or Ray Lewis as murderer.

Best murderer is obviously Hernandez.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

Hizawk posted:

Best murderer is obviously Hernandez.

Uhhhh....Ray Lewis might have something to say about that.

• Locked thread