Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Rated PG-34 posted:

Is the buttkicker worth the expense? Man, the software license is p expensive

The Buttkicker is very much worth the expense, especially when combined with SimVibe/SimXperience so that it works off the game's telemetry data instead of any bass sound. Doing so requires you have a dedicated sound card for the Buttkicker, since the software send the appropriate tones to that sound card to make the Buttkicker react.

You can use a Buttkicker without getting SimVibe and it's still loving cool. Playing a first-person shooter or War Thunder and having your chair thunk around when you fire cannons is awesome.

I'll note that the Buttkicker, when used without SimVibe, works best with 3.5mm speakers/headphones. If you use USB headphones then you'll have to get Windows to duplicate sound to both your headphones and whatever you've plugged the Buttkicker into.

That said, a Buttkicker costs about as much as a Windows Mixed Reality VR headset (such as the Lenovo Explorer, which is often $100-$150 on sale, at least when you get the headset without the controllers, which are not required for racing sims). I would definitely go VR over a Buttkicker if you're only throwing cash at one or the other. It adds a ton to the "feel" of the car to be in that 3D space. The concept of using weight shifts to navigate corners was something that made sense to me when I read it, but it didn't really click for me in-game until I played in VR and my brain could subconsciously process any movement of the car's frame around me, like that tiny little dip forward when the weight shifts to the front.

VR requires a pretty demanding system in general, but there are older sims like iRacing and Live For Speed that aren't terribly demanding and can be tweaked down to run fine on minimum VR spec while still looking reasonably good/clean.

DogonCrook posted:

I guess im not a true simmer lol. After this whole thing i couldnt be prouder of that fact.

This reminds me of when I modded YLLS and a guy would go into the bodybuilding thread and wonder why everybody get annoyed when said guy brought up low-volume squat programs. Those programs are fine for their purpose, but they're not what people talk about in bodybuilding threads.

There are other racing threads, like the Forza thread, where the OPs aren't like 50% about steering wheels and games that are designed around the assumption that people use them. If you're not interested in Thing then don't post in a thread about Thing.

Shine fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
You're posts look like a dishrag.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Shine posted:

The Buttkicker is very much worth the expense, especially when combined with SimVibe/SimXperience so that it works off the game's telemetry data instead of any bass sound. Doing so requires you have a dedicated sound card for the Buttkicker, since the software send the appropriate tones to that sound card to make the Buttkicker react.

You can use a Buttkicker without getting SimVibe and it's still loving cool. I'll note that the Buttkicker, when used without SimVibe, works best with 3.5mm speakers/headphones. If you use USB headphones then you'll have to get Windows to duplicate sound to both your headphones and whatever you've plugged the Buttkicker into.

That said, a Buttkicker costs about as much as a Windows Mixed Reality VR headset (such as the Lenovo Explorer, which is often $100-$150 on sale, at least when you get the headset without the controllers, which are not required for racing sims). I would definitely go VR over a Buttkicker if you're only throwing cash at one or the other. It adds a ton to the "feel" of the car to be in that 3D space. The concept of using weight shifts to navigate corners was something that made sense to me when I read it, but it didn't really click for me in-game until I played in VR and my brain could subconsciously process any movement of the car's frame around me, like that tiny little dip forward when the weight shifts to the front.

VR requires a pretty demanding system in general, but there are older sims like iRacing and Live For Speed that aren't terribly demanding and can be tweaked down to run fine on minimum VR spec while still looking reasonably good/clean.

This reminds me of when I modded YLLS and people would go into the bodybuilding thread and wonder why everybody was talking about bodybuilding and getting annoyed when someone brought up low-volume squat programs. Those programs are fine for their purpose, but they're not what people talk about in bodybuilding threads.

There are other racing threads, like the Forza thread, where the OPs aren't like 50% about steering wheels and games that are designed around the assumption that people use them. If you're not interested in Thing then don't post in a thread about Thing.

Bitch somebody asked and i answered and that offended people and assumed i was lying lol. Suck my balls.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Buy me forza 7 and ill race you with my wheel

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

DogonCrook posted:

Bitch somebody asked and i answered and that offended people and assumed i was lying lol. Suck my balls.

judging by your redtext I think answering questions is not your forte

wait no I take that back: you're extremely good at answering questions, the problem is just that usually people would like them answered correctly

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Brb installing a 360 controller into my race car for finer control.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DogonCrook posted:

This is a cool and extremely good post in this, the sim racing thread

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

I think my 20 years as hurricane chaser might be a little relevant ive been through more hurricanws than moat shiitty newscasters

Vando posted:

judging by your redtext I think answering questions is not your forte

wait no I take that back: you're extremely good at answering questions, the problem is just that usually people would like them answered correctly

Someone asked if any simmers played with a controller and i said yes and you lost your poo poo like a goddamned nerd. Lol you are pathetic dude.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

DogonCrook posted:

Someone asked if any simmers played with a controller and i said yes and you lost your poo poo like a goddamned nerd. Lol you are pathetic dude.

keep going I'm almost there

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
The question that remains is still "y tho"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DogonCrook posted:

Well yall autistic nerds are just picking what yall want to hear now. Thats the only game you could quickly look up my ghost that i know of and i never claimed i had more precision i said i had enough. To be honest i dont know what triggered yall two but yall sound loving pathetic im gonna leave yall to it haha.

DogonCrook posted:

I mean you specifically are the pathetic autistic one. i said i played with a controller and you lost your poo poo and gave some nerd speech haha. It was embarrasing, you should be embarrassed.

DogonCrook posted:

DogonCrook posted:

:ironicat:

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

OhsH posted:

The question that remains is still "y tho"

Cause its fine.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Are you sure

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

???? You don’t need a license for a buttkicker. Do you mean simvibe? Because that’s definitely not required.

The buttkicker itself is awesome. It’s awesome to feel the rumble strips, the transmission slamming into gear and the rumble of the engine

It won’t make you any faster, but the immersion factor in a driving rig is off the charts. I’ve owned mine since Christmas 2017 and it’s been amazing in GT Sport, AC and iracing.

I also tend to sit in my rig for other games, so playing Fortnite, Elite Dangerous and other games is equally cool. The bass hit from shotguns or jumping out of hyperspace has to be felt to be believed.

If you think you’d like it, you probably will.

yeah, sorry i meant for simvibe

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ACC just updated to 0.1.1, cant find any patch notes though

e: here they are https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/index.php?threads/assetto-corsa-competizione-is-out-now-in-steam-early-access.50853/#post-989838

quote:

0.1.1 Hotfix

- fixed AI remaining without fuel
- fixed crash caused by faulty recognition of T500 Gear Shifter
- fixed time loop after midnight
- added starter and ignition command on Controller Page
- fixed car lights not working when opponents visibility video option is used
- fixed backfires and other particles visible on hidden cars when opponents visibility video option is used
- fixed misleading option values with AA and visible opponents
- fixed marshal spline detection
- expanded camera FOV and frame rate limits
- visual and LOD tweaks to the Lamborghini Huracán GT3
- disabled saving the discord username for in build configuration
- slightly increased the retry-interval after a disconnect from the servers
- added proximityIndicatorsVisible setting to hud.json
- fixed music looping in some conditions
- tweaked volume for reverb zones

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Sep 14, 2018

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

DogonCrook posted:

I guess im not a true simmer lol. After this whole thing i couldnt be prouder of that fact.

You are a cock though so you got that going for you

Forza 7 with a wheel sucks hands down I'm slower with a wheel over a an 360controller hands down. Same with horizon.

Try and fire up iracing or pcars or AC with a controller and assists turned off.

Not saying that forza is bad and that your bad for liking it.. you are not but you are bad for this...

Runs into thread.... Panting...... Guys.. you guys... Guys....... Did someone say controller?

Wheels suck and aren't really giving you the feel of driving... They aren't good at all don't buy one.... I play Sims with them all the time and even though I've never used a wheel I can tell you they suck I'm really good with a controller.

Then you say Forza is a Sim which means basically you're talking out of your rear end

Forza is maybe a simlike it's got nowhere near the good FFB of an actual sim.. it caters to controllers and consoles not people with dedicated wheels and setups.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 14, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Almost like he came in here looking for a fight or something. And found some willing combatants.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

xzzy posted:

Almost like he came in here looking for a fight or something. And found some willing combatants.

Thems fighting words.

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Actually somebody asked if anyone ever played with controllers and i said yes. I never claimed it was superior i never claimed forza was a sim. I never used assist other than clutch, no abs. Yall are really talking out your rear end and refusing to read a pretty simple exchange where a retard got hot as poo poo that i dont use a wheel lol. I dont claim it doesnt add anything i just dont desire a wheel and yall are so goddamned insecure you cant handle that just instant red mist. Yall are bunch of larpers lol.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Welp, let's tar and feather him and ride him out of town on a rail.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

DogonCrook posted:

I dont claim it doesnt add anything

DogonCrook posted:

Its so far removed from the real thing a wheel doesnt add anything

I'm extremely insecure about my wheel though you've got me there.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
I got 4 wheels and im aimin em

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

DogonCrook posted:

Yall are bunch of larpers lol.

yes and this is the larp thread you idiot fucker why are you surprised

DogonCrook
Apr 24, 2016

Vando posted:

yes and this is the larp thread you idiot fucker why are you surprised

Lol fair enough, tbh i didnt think all of yall were this parhetic and nerdy, the more you know i guess, ill leave haha.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Appreciated dog

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I wish the ignore feature had controller support for added realism

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I go to sleep for 5 hours and you fuckers wreck the place. I almost want to start the POV argument as it'd be less stupid than is a gamepad better than a wheel.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

njsykora posted:

I go to sleep for 5 hours and you fuckers wreck the place. I almost want to start the POV argument as it'd be less stupid than is a gamepad better than a wheel.

bumper cam or bust

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

OhsH posted:

I got 4 wheels and im aimin em

knowing you you’d somehow miss and drive right into the wall

also you can’t use a controller for oval racing which is objectively the best form of racing because it’s the one that i’m good at; therefore controls are bad and no one should use one

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

please understand, i do all my simracing with a leapmotion. the faster i do jazz hands the better the car handles

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

IceAgeComing posted:

also you can’t use a controller for oval racing which is objectively the best form of racing because it’s the one that i’m good at; therefore controls are bad and no one should use one
bentai is gonna come for you with this sort of chat

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

please understand, i do all my simracing with a leapmotion. the faster i do jazz hands the better the car handles

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Don't post in this thread unless you've spent over 2k on a sim rig alone.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

DogonCrook posted:

Actually somebody asked if anyone ever played with controllers and i said yes. I never claimed it was superior i never claimed forza was a sim. I never used assist other than clutch, no abs. Yall are really talking out your rear end and refusing to read a pretty simple exchange where a retard got hot as poo poo that i dont use a wheel lol. I dont claim it doesnt add anything i just dont desire a wheel and yall are so goddamned insecure you cant handle that just instant red mist. Yall are bunch of larpers lol.

Let's not call people "autistic" and "retards" ok

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Don't post in this thread unless you've spent over 2k on a sim rig alone.

...and then complain about the price of a $10 DLC? :v:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

lol if you don't race with donkey kong bongos attached to a servo controller where the left bongo turns your direct drive wheel left, and the right bongo turns your direct drive wheel right, while shifting gears with your feet on a guitar hero controller and controlling clutch by screaming into a mic.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Alexa turn left
Alexa turn left
Alexa turn left
Alexa turn left

I’ll have you know I’m on the leaderboards

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You're not a true sim racer until you have a boot attached to your rig to kick you in the face whenever you miss a shift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

"Mr. Zanardi, we built you the perfect DTM car for this one race. Throttle via a ring on the wheel, upshift on right paddle so you can tune in the throttle with the left as the track is clockwise. Brake via this huge-rear end lever to your right, were you also find the downshift paddle."

"Yeah, but where do I plug the xbox controller in?"