Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Busy Bee posted:

I'm looking for a multipurpose backpack for work and pleasure. Something I can fit a few folders in, along with my water bottle, sweatshirt, and other smaller stuff. Size - 20L - 28L or so.

I don't mind paying up to 20000 Yen for a nice backpack that I can only get in Japan / Japanese quality.

From reading the responses to my answers, I'll def check out the bigger department stores but always open to suggestions for other Japanese brands with it's own storefront.

I assume you mean Porter? https://www.yoshidakaban.com/?lang=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
In addition here's some stuff to look at:

https://www.carryology.com/liking/brands/our-favorite-japanese-carry-brands/

Just expect to pay out the rear end relative to functionality imo. This stuff in Japan is seen as as much fashion as functional items so people pay high prices because part of the perceived value is the price itself. You do tend to have reliable quality though.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Stuff like this lol

https://thathobo.com/products/productall/hb-bg2854/

Literally a cotton cloth bag with a drawstring for JPY 15,000 because *fashion*

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

ALFbrot posted:

You seem unfairly exempted from this rule

I *am* the waifu :dukedog:

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

peanut posted:

I *am* the waifu :dukedog:

You can’t be a waifu.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You can’t be a waifu.

Well, not with that attitude at any rate.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Knuc U Kinte posted:

You can’t be a waifu.

mods?

Injuryprone
Sep 26, 2007

Speak up, there's something in my ear.

Cambodia huh, hmmmmm

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Mons Hubris posted:

Just jazz/fusion by Japanese artists I guess.

Mouse on the Keys, Fox Capture Plan, Cornelius, Toconoma, and Masayoshi Takanaka are some of my favorites.

Maher Shalal Hash Baz is good naiivist music with jazz influences. The lead artist used to be in a group that planned to kill the emperor.

I really like some Japanese folk music like Nagisa Ni Te and some noise rock like Number Girl and stuff. Also Matsuwa by Amin, a girl duo literally named after Idi Amin because they thought his name sounded cool and they knew nothing about him.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Has anyone been to this? https://planets.teamlab.art/tokyo/ Is it as popular as they say where you may have to wait in line for over an hour?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
A lot of people are telling me that I should stay in Shinjuku when I visit Tokyo as it mends well with my taste. What makes Shinjuku so special?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

punk rebel ecks posted:

A lot of people are telling me that I should stay in Shinjuku when I visit Tokyo as it mends well with my taste. What makes Shinjuku so special?

Biggest(?) gay district in Tokyo?

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Stringent posted:

I tell people that while I Tokyo I want to experience the nightlife and "nerdy" stuff. Basically entertainment attractions, arcades, random game shops, and just walking around the city.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

punk rebel ecks posted:

I tell people that while I Tokyo I want to experience the nightlife and "nerdy" stuff. Basically entertainment attractions, arcades, random game shops, and just walking around the city.

Hmm, ok, well there are a bunch of arcades down around the center of Shinjuku. There's also this place in Takadanobaba if you like fighting games: http://mi-ka-do.net/. Plenty of nightlife, and there's Broadway in Nakano for nerd stuff. Game shops are mostly in Akiba I think? I hear there's a bunch of that stuff in Ikebukuro too, but I don't know much about it. It's quite close to Shinjuku though.

You might want to look for a spot in Kanda instead, it's right down the road from Akihabara and has a lot of reasonably priced places to stay.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Stringent posted:

And a good ramen place

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Biggest gay district in Tokyo is wherever Caberham is staying.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Godzilla's in Shinjuku, too

And that Robot Restaurant, which you will either love or hate

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 14, 2018

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

harperdc posted:

If you have nostalgia for old Japanese video games (PlayStation and older) or anime, you probably will vibe with J-jazz without even realizing it.

https://youtu.be/N4oN5L3ZLT8

The other Japanese genre getting love in the US is city pop, which is dead on perfect summertime music.

This song is really neat! :eyepop:

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

Stringent posted:

I hear there's a bunch of that stuff in Ikebukuro too, but I don't know much about it. It's quite close to Shinjuku though.

Ikebukuro's nerd stuff are more geared towards girls and women, the country's biggest anime store Animate has their flagship store there. Ikebukuro also has the largest Chinese community in Tokyo outside of Yokohama, supposedly. I've been told Shinjuku has it beat.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Stumbling Block posted:

Ikebukuro's nerd stuff are more geared towards girls and women

fans of pretty boys and yaoi

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

peanut posted:

And butler cafe

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
my friend saw like about 60 middle school girls crowd right outside namja town in sunshine complex on some weekend and thought something sketchy was going on there and it was some anime related event I think.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Biggest gay district in Tokyo is wherever Caberham is staying.

It’s true, I end up staying in random places with men all the time. It’s too bad I couldn’t send you off, had to go to Europe :smith:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

caberham posted:

It’s true, I end up staying in random places with men all the time. It’s too bad I couldn’t send you off, had to go to Europe :smith:

A shameful cabe, going to the land of the Eurotrash.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
Secret confession time: when I'm in Japan I go and buy one of those 3000 yen gift apples the size of my head. I take it back to my hotel room, and then eat the entire thing in one sitting. They taste amazing and it is basically a meal. quite a bit of fibre though

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

ikebukero has the best shengjianbao i've had outside of shanghai.

when I lived in not-Shanghai parts of China I would go there every time I went to Tokyo to have them once.

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009

peanut posted:

Why do I feel that correction seems redundant...

Then again I only have surface level understanding of that nerd scene so that must be it.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The Animate in Ikebukuro is pretty fun. They have an entire floor set up to promote whatever popular anime is gonna air. When I was there, they had a whole bunch of muskets on display because of an anime that stars anime boys who are actually old muskets.

Edit: and lots of yaoi.

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 15, 2018

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Stumbling Block posted:

Why do I feel that correction seems redundant...

Then again I only have surface level understanding of that nerd scene so that must be it.

Sometimes the boys don't kiss eachother. It's weird I know!!!

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge
I lived in Japan as an exchange student in my teens, and have been back four times (2-3 week trips).
My mom is turning 70 and my birthday present to her is taking her to Japan in January. She has never travelled outside of Europe, and she has always wanted to see Japan.
We're only staying a week, and our plan is Tokyo-Kyoto-Okayama and back again.

I have a serious question and a silly question.

Serious: I know Okayama was hit really bad from floods this summer. It makes me sad because I love Okayama and especially Kurashiki. Is it OK to travel there now? Is there anything left of Kurashiki? :ohdear:

Silly question: Seeing a lot of cats would make my mom very happy.
Do you guys know of a nice place to see a lot of (happy) cats somewhere on our route?

Relevant: I understand Japanese fluently and speak relatively well (used to be fluent 15 years ago, don't get to speak much).

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I was in Okayama and Kurashiki like three weeks after the floods and there was no sign that anything had happened.

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge

Grand Fromage posted:

I was in Okayama and Kurashiki like three weeks after the floods and there was no sign that anything had happened.

That's what I was hoping for! :japan:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
If your mom is old, I really recommend you to take her on an open jaw trip to reduce her traveling time.

The return leg is just kinda meh, fly out of KIX and call it a day

lizard_phunk
Oct 23, 2003

Alt Girl For Norge

caberham posted:

If your mom is old, I really recommend you to take her on an open jaw trip to reduce her traveling time.

The return leg is just kinda meh, fly out of KIX and call it a day

She acts like she's about 35 with bad joints so we're good. She wants to eat octopus and go to Akihabara.

The KIX tip is good, but for some reason it was more expensive this time of year. So Tokyo it is.

TopHatGenius
Oct 3, 2008

something feels
different

Hot Rope Guy
I'm going to Japan next week and while I've a good idea on what to do in Tokyo, I'm still a little unsure about what to do in Osaka.

I know the Dotonbori but what other interesting sights are around Osaka?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Eat and get drunk. There's an Asahi brewery you can visit, the Yamazaki distillery is a short train away, Sakai has a number of ancient tombs. Osaka's mainly for chilling out, and unlike Tokyo you can just go to a bar and meet Japanese people who will actually talk to you.

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Osaka is only good for eating and drinking. During the day make trips to Nara, Kyoto, maybe Himeji.

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

The aquarium in Osaka is pretty good

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

TopHatGenius posted:

I'm going to Japan next week and while I've a good idea on what to do in Tokyo, I'm still a little unsure about what to do in Osaka.

Go to Spa World (on a week day).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

TopHatGenius posted:

Go to the korean neighborhood with all the small alleys and eat like a swine. Go to the aquarium too.