Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

quote:

The only change he did is to keep smoking outside of the house and change to rollies because apparently normal smokes have some very addictive substance in paper which makes it more addictive. 

Oh, you poor moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Haifisch posted:

Bonus fun:

The subreddit /r/bestoflegaladvice, which is supposedly for off-topic discussion of legaladvice threads(and is a good way to find juicy legaladvice stuff to post here), has extremely heavy mod overlap with legaladvice. For some mysterious reason, bestoflegaladvice comments pointing out dumb legaladvice mod decisions/bad advice from mods tend to disappear.

There's a lot of advice like this honestly, and even among people who aren't police it has the "only guilty people do that!!!" Thing around it, like refusing to talk to police

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Theophany posted:

it absolutely isn't going to be done justice as a derail in a thread of hot takes over Reddit shitheels and misanthropes.

More Reddit shitheels please.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Blade Runner posted:

There's a lot of advice like this honestly, and even among people who aren't police it has the "only guilty people do that!!!" Thing around it, like refusing to talk to police

I feel a operative phrase should be 'the police decide who is guilty'.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Further adventures in child medical treatment:

ex-husband trying to prevent daughter's elective surgery [WA]

r/legaladvice posted:

My ex has supervised visitation with our younger son, who is 10. Our daughter is 16 and opts not to visit her father. Our custody agreement gives me sole custody and sole power over medical decisions.

My daughter both wants and needs breast reduction surgery. She is very petite and her chest size causes her a lot of back pain. The surgery was recommended by two doctors and is something that my daughter has been asking for repeatedly, so we are going ahead with it.

My son mentioned the surgery to my ex and he went nuts. He has been accusing me of trying to control our daughter's "natural beauty" and of being jealous of my daughter's chest. He is basically saying that I'm forcing my daughter to do this because I have a smaller chest. He texts me every day and threatens to take me back to court to get the custody order amended and prevent the surgery. Does he have any leverage here? What can I do to prevent this from happening? I don't have much extra money (ex hasn't paid child support in almost 7 years) so I'd prefer to not get a lawyer if I don't have to.

Thank you.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

wow I wonder why they got divorced, he sounds like a real keeper

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

pidan posted:

Wait, he hasn't paid child support in 7 years and he thinks he's going to be suing for something?

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

quote:

What can I do to prevent this from happening? I don't have much extra money (ex hasn't paid child support in almost 7 years) so I'd prefer to not get a lawyer if I don't have to.

Get a lawyer, he'll take your case pro bono with lustful eyes. in fact, be wary of lawyers running your door in. Get the surgery for your boobchild, sue the pants of your ex, get a boobjob yourself(Can they..you know, use the discarded parts?).

Rub your new titties into your exes face while visiting him in the poorhouse.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Get a lawyer, he'll take your case pro bono with lustful eyes. in fact, be wary of lawyers running your door in. Get the surgery for your boobchild, sue the pants of your ex, get a boobjob yourself(Can they..you know, use the discarded parts?).

Rub your new titties into your exes face while visiting him in the poorhouse.
Yeah that's possible, boobs are like Lego. That's why it's called 'plastic' surgery.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
r/relationships: Can they..you know, use the discarded parts?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Well, that is basically how skin grafts work, right?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

pidan posted:

I think the proper response to that lawsuit threat is "I hope you do"

Multiple doctor recs and the testimony of the kid herself, that case would be a slam loving dunk

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

loquacius posted:

I think the proper response to that lawsuit threat is "I hope you do"

Multiple doctor recs and the testimony of the kid herself, that case would be a slam loving dunk
And walking into court after not paying child support for 7 years is a great way to have the judge order the dad to pay for it.

Also "control our daughter's natural beauty" is creepy af :chloe:

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Re: rabies, my mom got bit by a groundhog and had to go through the rabies shots thing. Basically they give you a ton at the hospital when you come in and then you have to keep getting extra shots like every other day for a bit after. Although halfway through animal control got back to us that the groundhog didn't have rabies so she ended the vaccine regime.

Better safe than sorry though. Holy poo poo at the mother who was ok with her daughter dying to something technically preventable. I heard rabies death is terrible, too.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
"Your Honor, after 7 years of not paying child support, I have opinions about my daughters breasts!"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Clocks posted:

Better safe than sorry though. Holy poo poo at the mother who was ok with her daughter dying to something technically preventable. I heard rabies death is terrible, too.
Antivax, at its core, is people preferring their child's death over whatever imaginary conditions(usually autism) they think vaccines cause. This is just a more immediately obvious death if no vaccine is given.

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Anti vax people are fundamentally garbage if only for the fact that they would prefer their child to die a painful death than be insufficient as a status symbol

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?

Blade Runner posted:

Anti vax people are fundamentally garbage if only for the fact that they would prefer their child to die a painful death than be insufficient as a status symbol

Hey now, let’s stick to the facts here.

They also want other people’s kids to die horrible preventable deaths as well.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Me [25F] with my SO [22M] of 1.5 years, I bled internally after sex, and have mandated rest until the hemorrhage reabsorbs. He's... Not getting it.
Hey...! You guys have helped a lot but I just need to sort my thoughts with regards to this situation.

​So on Wednesday after sex I was in immense pain. I'd say it was the worst pain I've ever experienced, I think I passed out at some point as well. It was at night, I took an Ibuprofen and went to sleep once the pain calmed down, pretty much 1h30m after the pain started.

​The next day, I went to work but was still in pain all through my abdomen, so I went to the doctor and they shipped me to the hospital. After 8h, they finally were able to diagnose me with an internal hemorrhage due to the "explosion" of a follicule in my ovary, during sex. They checked my haemoglobin to make sure I was stable and told me to rest for the following days: no sudden movements, no carrying weight, and a hefty dose of paracetamol and some sort of opiate for the pain. I'm not taking them because I can handle the pain, but I guess for this reason I'm in quite a bit of pain.

​The following is what is bothering me. Throughout this I was completely lucid, but in pain and kind of scared. My bf lives with me and was a witness to this entire process, from afar. Didn't come to the doctors or the hospital as he didn't want to wait in the waiting room (which I did, on my own, from 5pm to 3am). Fair enough, but seeing as it's something that he was in part the direct cause of, it would have been nice to have some more involvement and concern on his part, especially when i was shipped to the hospital (which I took myself to btw, in a taxi). Next issue is that he really doesn't seem to understand how serious this could have been and what recovery means. Example: he wanted me to come grocery shopping yesterday (uh, NO), there is literally nothing in the house and he hasn't bothered to even go pick up some milk, eggs or bread. I was kind of irritated that he couldn't bring himself to even go pick up some food if I wasn't going to help or go with him. I bring groceries back when I come from work relatively often, but whatever.

​But what really took me over the edge in terms of how selfish he is acting, is that last night I was enjoying being on my own, chilling and watching youtube and netflix as he'd gone out partying. This was the night after being in the hospital until 3am. He send one text that he was coming home, and I replied not to come with people or to at least give me a heads up if he was.

30 min later I get a message that he's coming up. I call asking if he's alone, and as I suspected, he's with a friend. They chill in MY kitchen, without going back out to continue partying, until 7AM. (they came home at 2). I asked a couple of times if they were planing on leaving but they did not catch my hint, so I went to the living room to chill on my own. They followed after 15 min and continued their drunk rear end conversation.

​I went to bed at like 5.30. At 6.30 he came in and asked if I was angry. I told him I was not happy with him having turned up to the house with people when I expressly asked he do not (even if it's just our common friend). He went to sleep in the sofa, and now it's the next day, he hasn't said anything, hasn't apologised, is just hanging out in the living room without saying anything.

​I'm still in pain. At this point I'm hungry, I have important poo poo to do for monday which I apparently, need to go out and do myself at this point (I live on the 4rth floor of a building with no elevator). Wider context is that I work and my bf studies from home. He spends everyday at home studying and chilling, while I go to work and poo poo. I like being alone at home doing nothing, and I honestly don't get enough of that on a frequent basis.

​Anyway, if you're here by now, please help me sort out my feelings about this. I find he's acting so loving selfishly.

​TLDR: I bled internally. Am pain. BF isn't present for any of it, doesn't help with household chores, and brings people back home to drink without giving me a warning and ignoring me saying I didn't want to host.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
The life of the injured gently caress maid.

That he wouldn't even wait in the hospital with her speaks volumes.

Of course, so does everything else she wrote about him.

:sever: his head from his body

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 15, 2018

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.
According to the poster hanging in my vets office the raccoon is the biggest rabies carrier here. I can't help but wonder why the hell were they letting that kid play with a wild raccoon in the first place? How did they even get ahold of it? If the ones I've run into were any indication, they don't just sit there all docile-like and let you pet them. I'm picturing him going out there and cornering one in the shed with a broom, being all like "Hey Susie! Come look what I have! Sure you can play with it." then the raccoon savages the kids hand and runs off into the night.

Maybe city raccoons are friendlier or something. I dunno.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

almightyerin posted:

According to the poster hanging in my vets office the raccoon is the biggest rabies carrier here. I can't help but wonder why the hell were they letting that kid play with a wild raccoon in the first place? How did they even get ahold of it? If the ones I've run into were any indication, they don't just sit there all docile-like and let you pet them. I'm picturing him going out there and cornering one in the shed with a broom, being all like "Hey Susie! Come look what I have! Sure you can play with it." then the raccoon savages the kids hand and runs off into the night.

I hand feed squirrels and birds at my house and I'm guessing a raccoon would get used to people as well

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Captain Yossarian posted:

I hand feed squirrels and birds at my house and I'm guessing a raccoon would get used to people as well

Don't listen to him, that's the rabies talking! Stay back! STAY BACK!

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Raccoons can be pretty chill, especially towards a slow moving toddler, until such point as the toddler sees the big fat cat-lookin thing and tries to pick it up. It doesn't seem unlikely that it was going through their trash or something and the kid wanted to grab it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

almightyerin posted:

Rabid animals lose their fear of humans and may approach people of their own volition. If they're not in the final stages people who don't know better (such as children) can easily mistake them as being "friendly", which is how most bites happen.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
Cop trap sprung

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Someone should set up r/BestOfLegalAdviceCensorship. :allears:

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Captain Yossarian posted:

I've always heard they start getting pushy and agressive if you hand feed them for a while

almightyerin posted:

I'm guessing anti-vax mom is really inattentive or has stupid ideas about ~communing with nature~ by petting the creatures that eat out of thier trash can

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.
I couldn't in good conscience get birds and squirrels to do that for me. They'd start hanging around and looking for food, making themselves prime targets for my murder squad of cats.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Clocks posted:

Re: rabies, my mom got bit by a groundhog and had to go through the rabies shots thing. Basically they give you a ton at the hospital when you come in and then you have to keep getting extra shots like every other day for a bit after. Although halfway through animal control got back to us that the groundhog didn't have rabies so she ended the vaccine regime.

There's a few videos on YouTube of late stage rabies patients and it's not great. You die of dehydration because rabies makes you physically incapable of swallowing water, but in the mean time you get severe delusions and muscle spasms. It's like nature's meth!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
R/legaladvice is just hella strict about staying on topic and answering according to the rules. "Go to the press!" is against the rules and it's always removed. "Omg that's horrible" is just noise and it's removed, the same as it was in the rabies vaccine thread. You can see in those comments that "I'm not a lawyer but report him anonymously!!" is removed, but the more specific advice of "See if your state has offices X, Y, or Z to report him to" is kept.

But also, "holo cost," yeah I'm not sold the OP is on the up-and-up

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

almightyerin posted:

City raccoons usually act like they own the dumpster and get mad at you if you try to eat out of it too. They are very territorial and just incredibly selfish. I know you can't eat all that garbage, Terrence, you ffive-fingered mutant!

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

almightyerin posted:

I couldn't in good conscience get birds and squirrels to do that for me. They'd start hanging around and looking for food, making themselves prime targets for my murder squad of cats.

an adorable grandma figure asks sweetly "so they're not indoor cats?" underneath a large box being propped up in one corner by a big stick

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

almightyerin posted:

Why would you deprive your cats of this buffet? :smith:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

My [28M] girlfriend's [25F] Mom offered her money to lose weight. My girlfriend refused the deal.

quote:

TL;DR I want my girlfriend to lose weight, but she said if I ever told her that again she would break up with me.

My girlfriend of 6 months (let's call her A) is overweight. I don't know the exact numbers, but around 5'3, 160 pounds. It's not a health concern, but it's unattractive. Stomach rolls, chubby face. I'm not perfect either, 5'11, 205, but with some muscle.

Early on in the relationship (around 1 month) she asked me if I would find her more attractive if she lost 20 pounds. I'm an honest person, and this is my first relationship. I said yes. She was super upset and the next day almost broke up with me.

I fought back, said it was a stupid question, and that if I ever asked her that kind of question, it would be because I'm going to try to lose weight and I want to gauge how much effort I should put in. I said that I'm not trying to hurt her feelings, but if she asks me a direct question, she's going to get a direct answer; I don't like lying.

She said that I hurt her self esteem, that it was already low, and that if I ever did it again the relationship was over.

We made it through that conversation (barely) and fast forward a few months, she's still asking me loads of questions like it. "Is she prettier than me", "Am I too fat", "Do you want me to lose weight". I feel like I've been pushed into a corner, I have to lie because of the ultimatum from before.

I was kind of okay with this, because A goes to the gym a few times per week, and tries to eat balanced meals so I thought she was trying to lose weight.

That is, until last week. Her mom has been trying to get her to lose weight since high school, and earlier this week offered her $100 per pound to do it, with weight-ins at the end of each month.

A declined the offer, telling me that "Society puts a lot of pressure on women to look a certain way", "I'm overwhelmed with work and wouldn't be able to lose weight", "If I lose the weight too fast I'll just gain it back".

A is career driven, and has a personal savings goal for the end of the year, she's been taking on side jobs in her field but it looks like she's still going to be about $1000 short. The deal was a no-brainer, there was no down side, even if she failed. So it makes me think that she doesn't really want to lose weight.

If someone offered me that deal I would accept it without hesitation. We've talked about getting healthy together, but neither one of us has made any real effort or progress.

It's my first relationship and I'm much happier now than when I was single, but the relationship has a lot of problems, some of which are long-term and unlikely to get resolved (kids, goals, values). I don't think we can make it long-term.

I don't know what I'm trying to ask here. Tell me if I should break up, tell me I'm an rear end in a top hat, or maybe give some psychological insight into why she might refuse the deal. Any advice is appreciated.

*Edit*

Thank you to everyone for your replies and perspective.

The consensus seems to be that A does want to lose weight, but the deal with her Mom was just insulting and infuriating, which is pretty obvious to me now.

The other thing I gathered from the comments (other than I'm an rear end in a top hat) is that I should break up with her because of the long-term issues. I'm going to have a talk with her about these this weekend, and see if we can work through it all.

Lastly, "Never date someone for their potential, but for who they are right now." Pretty good advice for next time.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
drat with that kind of deal some goons could buy a car

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

He should break up with her by answering all of her annoying, loaded, pity-party questions honestly

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Me [25F] with my SO [22M] of 1.5 years, I bled internally after sex, and have mandated rest until the hemorrhage reabsorbs. He's... Not getting it.

Your gf being injured or sick is actually a golden opportunity as a bf. You can impress her with easy tasks like buying medicine, cooking a soup and literally just being there. That's way more achievable than impressing her by being successful or charismatic. If he can't empathize with the relatively easy to understand experience of physical pain he sure as gently caress isn't going to be understanding and supportive with more complicated relationship issues.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My Husband (22M) Settled For Me (F21)

quote:

TL;DR: Snooped through my husbands phone and found messages about his feelings towards me before we got married. Now I feel like I shouldn’t have gotten married.

Hi Reddit,

Sorry for the repost I’m an absolute noob and don’t really know how this works.

I’m feeling so extremely sad right now, and I just don’t know what to do. I’m sorry if this post is messy or jumbled... I am not in a clear headspace at the moment.

My husband and I just got married at the beginning of July. We started dating five years ago in high school and were basically each other’s first everything. However, we have had our fair share of ups and downs. We have dated other people but always found our way back to each other. We’ve done long distance for about 4 years on and off.

We got a house on base about a month ago and began living with each other. I uprooted my life to be here with him, though I didn’t have much going for myself in my hometown.

I thought that we were getting along okay- he drives my car 45 minutes to work every morning at 5 am and has it all day- sometimes until 5 pm. I’ve just been kind of existing here in our house... I don’t get out much. I’m really shy when it comes to meeting new people and he has our car M-F so I would have no way of really leaving the house anyway.... you can’t really walk off of a military base like the one I’m at, so I’m basically stuck. I try to keep the house affairs in order and be a good housewife and cook him nice meals every night because I’ve been worried that he’ll resent me for not working while he busts his rear end all day long.

I guess my worst fear came true when about thirty minutes ago I went through his Snapchat. I’ve noticed since we’ve been living together that he’s very protective of his phone and always tilts the screen away from me if I’m in the same room. It’s made me really uneasy but I haven’t brought it up because I figured I’d eventually find out for myself. We went to dinner tonight and I asked his passcode so I could change the song. At first he said he didn’t remember it (because it’s a shape and six digits long) but I did get it open. I filed it into the back of my mind until we got home and he passed out on the couch. Then I began to do some digging.

I know that I’m in the wrong here and that people are entitled to their own privacy, but I’m snoopy and I want a transparent marriage. I don’t want to feel like things are being hidden from me, but I know if someone is doing something shady and you question them about it, they’re going to delete any possible proof. So I did it secretly. Did it make me feel bad and slimy? Yes. But I what I found made me feel worse.

I found a text conversation with one of our semi mutual friends (21F). It was a little flirty, but no major red flags. She’s a very nice person and supportive of our relationship. The thing I saw that utterly destroyed me is when I saw his conversation with her from before he proposed to me. He was talking about how there are things he wants to experience still that he can’t do with me, how he was getting cold feet about a commitment commitment, how I drive him crazy because we have different values when it comes to personal finances and morals, how he had already trapped himself mentally so he should just go through with it so we could have a house and have time together before his deployment, how they should get drinks if it doesn’t work out, and the worst of it all... how he’s never told anyone but

“idk I feel like I’m settling”. Reading that sentence really made my heart feel like it cracked into two pieces. If I had known that he felt that way or even said that....... I don’t think we would have gotten married.

So now I’m just sitting upstairs silently crying because I don’t know if I should even confront him about this or not. I really don’t know what to do. I feel absolutely awful and I’ve felt bad about myself for a long time... this is just the straw that broke the camels back.

I didn’t find anything else very interesting aside from messages to an old one night stand which prove that he lied to me about not having been with anyone when we weren’t together and how he’s had an orgy, etc. I can’t really be mad about those things because we were separated, but I feel absolutely sick. I love my husband and I thought we were trying to build a happy life together. But how can I ever be happy knowing this?

Please give me any advice.

quote:

We’ve been talking about marriage for a very long time and he only has a few days at a time that he gets off of work. The proposal was more for him than anything. I think he wanted something he could show off on social media... We had a small courthouse wedding which I loved, but everything after that has been pretty messy. Apparently he wants a real wedding sometime next year, which I don’t. The literal day after we got married we flew a few states north to visit his parents... so I spent my “honeymoon” in his parent’s basement. It was incredibly uncomfortable because they weren’t happy, and in general they are just not my kind of people... to him they can do no wrong, but his dad kept saying things to me like “thank god -husband- didn’t marry a black girl. We were all worried that he might” and other racist things about Mexicans, etc.

To be around people who weren’t happy for us after we got married was really disheartening. I guess it’s set the pace for this marriage ever since.

I know that is a little off topic, but it feels good to vent... I’m still distraught over that whole fiasco and how he thought I would want that- or more like the fact that it’s apparent he wasn’t thinking about me at all.

quote:

We got engaged and married on the same day in July. These messages are from May 😞
Military marriages: Not even once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Don't date fats, smokers, or military.