Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Really Pants posted:

ask me about the rich lore of the Magic Elf, Melf
You mean the Male Elf, Melf. Some serious boi erasure going on ITT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Here's my Fiasco tip for anyone running Fiasco: build the pool out of 3 dice per person instead of 4 (just add a single extra die if that gives you an odd number, so you can split acts 1/2 evenly), because every single Fiasco game I've ever been part of has fizzled out about 30-50% of the way through act 2.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Nuns with Guns posted:

Didn't they intially make Oerth by taking a map of Earth and flipping it upside down, with some of the in-univese cities replacing Chicago and Milwaukee?

Wikipedia posted:

Castle Greyhawk was the most famous dungeon in Oerth, the home campaign world of Gary Gygax.[2]:25 Players in the earliest days of this campaign mostly stayed within Castle Greyhawk's dungeons, but Gygax envisioned the rest of his world as a sort of parallel Earth, and the original Oerth (pronounced "Oith", as with a Brooklyn accent) looked much like the real-world Earth but filled with imaginary cities and countries.[2]:24 Several years later, when TSR produced the original World of Greyhawk folio (1980), Gygax was asked to produce a map of the world and decided to create something new which still featured many of the locales from his original world of Oerth but with all-new geography.[2]:24 Gygax also connected Dave Arneson's Blackmoor to his world by including a country by that name in Oerth.[2]:388 In his later novel Dance of Demons (1988), Gygax destroyed Greyhawk's Oerth and replaced it with a new fantasy world of Yarth.[2]:239

"By the way, action takes place on Yarth, a place somewhat similar to Oerth, the setting of Greyhawk, et al. It has fewer magical properties than Oerth but more than Earth. It is not impossible that additional works will be contracted for in months to come, action being set on Yarth or perhaps another alternate world, Aerth. On Earth, magic is virtually non-existent. On Uerth, dweomers are weak, chancy things. Yarth has a sprinkling of things magical, and Oerth is pure magic."

Yarth.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

O ERTH?

YA RTH

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Oerth being pronounced "Oith" makes me want to run a Low Life game set in post-many-dumb-apocalypses Greyhawk.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

So like... Adventure Time?

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Moriatti posted:

So like... Adventure Time?

Yes, but much dumber.

1337JiveTurkey
Feb 17, 2005

Also one of the differences between Oerth and Earth IIRC is that the formula for smokepowder on Oerth works as a good silverware polish on Earth, and the formula for black powder on Earth works as a good silverware polish on Oerth.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I found this at a local comic shop for $10.

Looking through it, it seems to be for something called Rolemaster. 1985.

Swink is my favorite.

:wookie:

edit: Apparently it is fairly common and not as much of a strange find as I thought :downs:

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 15, 2018

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

AD&D 2E had an Ecology heading in the Monster Manual and both 3E and 4E, as much as they improved on the rules, were giant steps backwards in this respect.

4e's Monster Vaults were a good step in the opposite direction; some monsters, like the Manticore, got more flavor and background text in their MV entries than they did even in their 2e writeups.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Rolemaster?

Percentile dice, your time is now (again)

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

1337JiveTurkey posted:

Also one of the differences between Oerth and Earth IIRC is that the formula for smokepowder on Oerth works as a good silverware polish on Earth, and the formula for black powder on Earth works as a good silverware polish on Oerth.
Given the nature of rocket fuels as both touchy explosives and corrosives, this checks out. Though if you want more on the subject you should just read "Ignition!". My favorite bits were the chapters on halides (like CTF) and monopropellants (such as hydrogen peroxide).

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The best news, of course, being that Ignition! just got a new print release.

And if that’s your kind of thing, the cruel and unusual chemistry thread may be for you

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I'm certain he cribbed that from Zelazny's The Guns of Avalon, where the hero accidentally discovers that some jeweler's rouge he used to polish a bracelet works as gunpowder in his home dimension.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm certain he cribbed that from Zelazny's The Guns of Avalon, where the hero accidentally discovers that some jeweler's rouge he used to polish a bracelet works as gunpowder in his home dimension.

I would've thought that was in response to one of his players trying to cheat in gunpowder from scratch and him going "aha, you cannot out-clever me" again

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Mister Olympus posted:

I would've thought that was in response to one of his players trying to cheat in gunpowder from scratch and him going "aha, you cannot out-clever me" again
It probably gave him the inspiration to do so. But the book is in Appendix N and the plot point is exact, right down to the compound being gold and silver polish.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Lemon-Lime posted:

Here's my Fiasco tip for anyone running Fiasco: build the pool out of 3 dice per person instead of 4 (just add a single extra die if that gives you an odd number, so you can split acts 1/2 evenly), because every single Fiasco game I've ever been part of has fizzled out about 30-50% of the way through act 2.

Have you played with 5 people? My first game was with five people and we had an issue with scenes dragging on but I've played with smaller groups and it works fine.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Pollyanna posted:

edit: Apparently it is fairly common and not as much of a strange find as I thought :downs:

Haha, yeah, here's my extensive collection:

The older stuff (most of the bottom shelf) took me literally dozens of dollars to amass. Not pictured: Another copy of Run Out the Guns and a box set version of RM2 Spell Law that I got at GenCon's 2017 auction, and my original RMSS core that's all loose-leaf in a three-ring binder. No Spacemaster of any edition, though. I never got into it.

I'm pretty sure the local used book store that has tons of RPG stuff still has another one to three copies of a lot of the RM2 books, all priced at $3-$10. RM2 went strong from the mid-80's to the mid-90's and was one of the bigger D&D knockoffs, so there's just a boatload of used books floating around out there.

Rolemaster is one of those neat, old artifacts that some people will not let die, or at least not let go grey with dignity, so people on RPGnet have opinions at each other about it, and ICE itself is a shambling corpse slowly churning out a half-baked new edition Real Soon Now.

Anyway, it can be fun to flip around in the old books and look at all the weird, inventive, dumb poo poo they'd just throw around with little rhyme or reason. It's why the old D&D Monster Manuals are some of the best venerable RPG books to have. They're just so much more full of fun, crazy poo poo than two whole pages about how to roll your stats and then be a Fighter because gently caress you you dumb idiot you rolled your stats.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 15, 2018

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Antivehicular posted:

Yes, but much dumber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2nw0R5-l5Y

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Really Pants posted:

O ERTH?

YA RTH

heh

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

thank you that is the best joke I will ever make

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Owlbears are probably even more at the point where the party will attempt to make a pet out of them. I think there's a 4e module that recognises this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The biggest reason not to make players fight bears or wolves is that they're insanely weak.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL
:goatsecx:
I've been internally replacing bears with kobolds in every one of these posts and it has yet to fail to work.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anniversary posted:

I've been internally replacing bears with kobolds in every one of these posts and it has yet to fail to work.
Hey, I said "solitary".

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Anniversary posted:

So did owlbear become kobold or owlbold? Because that's a monster I'd like to see.

"Sgt. Angel's been taken care of?"

"Yarth."

"He's not going to get back up again?"

"...Narth?"

theironjef fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 15, 2018

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

some loving LIAR posted:

My favorite thing about the Greyhawk pantheon is that it includes 1) a literal cowboy and 2) a god named after a car.

I know Murlynd, but my knowledge of Greyhawk or cars is lacking because what's that second one?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

The biggest reason not to make players fight bears or wolves is that they're insanely weak.

That's why dire wolves and dire bears exist.

Aniodia
Feb 23, 2016

Literally who?

Completely off-topic, but I've seen this picture (and others like it, all coincidentally by the same guy as the first) and always thought it would be cool as hell if those were the typical housecats. I mean sure, it'd be weird for players the first time one swoops out of the awnings of a house to grab a mouse running by, but I've always liked the idea.

That, and the Caucasian Ovcharka as pets for humans (guardians for the children), and riding dogs for halflings. Love me some big doggos, too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lemon-Lime posted:

They are like normal bears and wolves but their love of rubies and gemstones is increased tenfold. In addition, they are simply more dire in demeanor.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 15, 2018

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Lemon-Lime posted:

What's a Dire Kobold?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

dire rhea cha-cha-cha

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Anniversary posted:

What's a Dire Kobold?
A dragon.

Anniversary
Sep 12, 2011

I AM A SHIT-FESTIVAL

Yawgmoth posted:

A dragon.

:chanpop:

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Really Pants posted:

dire rhea cha-cha-cha

Man, you are just going all out today.

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Anniversary posted:

What's a Dire Kobold?

A Kobold who colors fabric, but that’s not important right now

edit: a step up from a Tanner Kobold

Zephirum fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Sep 15, 2018

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Lurdiak posted:

I can see that as a point in its favor. Like a low-stress encounter that just makes the PCs feel good about their characters and sound awesome.

I think the reason that Savage Punch art turned into a meme is because like...nagas or goblins or whatever aren't real, but bears are, so you have a good barometer for how badass it is to punch a bear and win. Lots of D&D stories are hard to explain without context, but "And then we FOUGHT A BEAR and won!" is something you could tell anyone and they would see why it was so exciting.

Probably why they played Honey Heist on Critical Role, actually.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Zephirum posted:

A Kobold who colors fabric, but that’s not important right now

edit: a step up from a Tanner Kobold
Little relation to a Tucker Kobold which is just the guy from Silence of the Lambs

Mr_Schmoo
Dec 10, 2002

Howdy. Could someone direct me to a thread, or if anyone has suggestions on video conferencing software for gaming? Nobody wants to drive three hours to game anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Have you tried Google Hangouts?