Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Oh my god I don't even have to team up for story stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Safeword posted:

No, you do. Squadrons are mostly there for grinding EXP

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Safeword posted:

Nah, you won't ever really have squadmates at the level where they'd be useful for that. It's mostly handy for leveling new jobs.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Nah you still need to do stuff the first time around with real people. This is more for an xp grind alt to potd for your alt jobs.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Oh right, I'll dial down my excitement then! Thanks guys.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

You also need your squadron to gain GC ranks past 2nd Lieutenant. There isn't a heck of a lot of benefit for it right now aside from some rad glamours, but they're slowly adding higher officer ranks, including Captain next week.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I thought Bronze Bull commented on me making him a sword if I finished the Level 50 Blacksmith quest. :(

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

In my experience, that's usually a DPS.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

No, the DPS is the one that never readies.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Which makes sense as the DPS is the one most likely to be doing something else while their queue pops

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Safeword posted:

Oh right, I'll dial down my excitement then! Thanks guys.

As mentioned, the first time through you'll need real people since you can't do squadron stuff until somewhere close to level 50.

That said, outside of that, command missions are actually as great as they seem. They're an excellent way to level all the way to 50 (and rising up to 60, since we've got Sohm Al now and The Vault coming in half a week), especially if you're leveling a DPS and/or are still getting comfortable with your role. After all, squad buddies don't get mad at you if you don't heal them in time or lose aggro or forget to use AOE skills. You can do dungeon stuff and be able to get up and grab a drink midway through, or answer the door, or whatever.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

The squadron is great, but playing a tank with them can be frustrating since the healers have brains like warm pudding.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

The Doomhammer posted:

The squadron is great, but playing a tank with them can be frustrating since the healers have brains like warm pudding.

It's a shame you can't easily run dungeons with actual people as a tank.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Guess which level 40 Arcanist just realised Aetherflow maxes out the entire meter, it doesn't just fill in a single notch. :downs:

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
The squadron retainer type missions are pretty great too because they can bring back all sorts of stuff like those exp boosting manuals for crafters/gatherers and battle classes, crystal clusters, mgp boosting manuals and red crafter/gatherer scrips to help you out getting old books.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Safeword posted:

Guess which level 40 Arcanist just realised Aetherflow maxes out the entire meter, it doesn't just fill in a single notch. :downs:

It does if you use it while you still have two unused stacks!

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Lizard Wizard posted:

It's a shame you can't easily run dungeons with actual people as a tank.

I try to hide my tanking from actual people.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Safeword posted:

If you are level 40 you should go and get your job stones ASAP.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

The Doomhammer posted:

you dont get better if you dont practice

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

ImpAtom posted:

If you are level 40 you should go and get your job stones ASAP.

Oh I have them, it's just something I noticed. :v:

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Oh shiizzzzzzzzz

Motherfuckin behemoth mount gonna fly in 4.4

Gonna rule the skies now

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
this bit in coerthas is actually pretty interesting. the rest of the story has been cute or funny or good because of sick music mostly but the weird political maneuvering and uncovering the plot behind the false accusations is just legitimately compelling to me

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Charlie Bobson posted:

this bit in coerthas is actually pretty interesting. the rest of the story has been cute or funny or good because of sick music mostly but the weird political maneuvering and uncovering the plot behind the false accusations is just legitimately compelling to me

There's a whole expansion's worth of content of that. Please look forward to it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Safeword posted:

Oh I have them, it's just something I noticed. :v:

All good. You just said Arcanist so I wasn't sure!

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

The Doomhammer posted:

This attitude actively contributes to the tank shortage.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

I don't like tanking, I probably wouldn't tank even were I good at it. It is not enjoyable to me, being either too stressful or too boring at any one time. I was just making a crack at squadron healers being bad, sheesh.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Tanking requires too much attention and is boring simultaneously. Healing or dps just plays so much better.

Squadron missions are weird in that all mechanics are forced on you while the jobless followers have hilariously overpowered base stats to make up for their stupidity. Fuckups are simultaneously all your own fault while still feeling unfair since you could be a BLM in Sohm Al with 100% uptime on meteor/mad-dash, or a melee in brayflox that keeps dropping the puke next to Aitar.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Sade posted:

This attitude actively contributes to the tank shortage.

i tank every dungeon sight unseen and have no regrets what happens

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Nothing is nobler than leading your party headlong to a glorious, bloody death by pulling wall to loving wall.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Sade posted:

Nothing is nobler than leading your party headlong to a glorious, bloody death by pulling wall to loving wall.

Hell yeah brother.

Colander Crotch
Nov 24, 2005

I- I don't even know what you just called me!

Sade posted:

Especially when it is your first time there.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

The Doomhammer posted:

I don't like tanking, I probably wouldn't tank even were I good at it. It is not enjoyable to me, being either too stressful or too boring at any one time. I was just making a crack at squadron healers being bad, sheesh.

this is p much my exact feelings about healing.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Sade posted:

:black101:

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Sade posted:

The best thing I have seen in a dungeon was a big pullin’ tank in Skalla who gathered up the mobs after the second boss then ran straight off the cliff without breaking stride. When we all recovered from being murdered I gave him the storm salute and I hope he knows there was no irony in it.

Jandipoo
Mar 29, 2008

I am the great Cornholio!
I'm stuck in the "one group at a time" mindset of older MMOs so I usually avoid tanking as to not get yelled at :(

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Nothing better than hopping in a dungeon and the first thing from the healer is "Tank... pull everything".

SIR. YES, SIR.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

ran a MSQ roulette. got castrum meridianum. one person was new, a healer. perfectly normal run-- the rest of us blast through with big dick wall pulls and don't break a sweat because everyone outgears it. newbie sticks close, doesn't get lost.

make it up to first phase of the final boss. hell i'll own this minor speedbump but for a second i struggle to remember the mechanics with the mortars because i haven't been here a while. kinda futz around with controls for a sec before firing off a shot and pulling aggro from the boss. near immediately as the boss walks over to me someone calls me out in chat saying "for fucks sake pull the boss back to the middle" and telling me to just stand there and do nothing. at some point the newbie healer dies but whatever, the whole dungeon was over in 30 minutes.

during the cutscene from phase 1 -> 2 i get............ this.............

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i'm sorry we had a 10 second setback in our chill easy xp and tome run i guess????????

EDIT: quote isn't edit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

MSQ Roulette: Not Even Once