Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Vox Nihili posted:

Lmao, but can we get a link to the reddit thread?

Yikes dude, lol. You either genuinely despise me or correctly assumed I was over my awful breakup!

potatoducks posted:

So the woman you're getting engaged to in 2 weeks is a new one? What are you going to do if she also refuses a prenup?

I didn't post that in this thread, c'mon man. Can you be a little understanding of why I'm trying to do it better this time and asking people for help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Weatherman posted:

What do you guys do about tipping at restaurants when you're married? Do you split the tip evenly, or do you pay according to a complex equation based on "who makes more", "who ordered more", and "who ended up eating more (both of each person's initial order and of any food that they didn't order but still consumed)"? Also how much of the bill is appropriate to tip?

I almost always pay for dinner and other social occasions. I tip 20% or more. The tip on a meal is a negligible expense for either of us and not a source of conflict in our relationship.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I almost always pay for dinner and other social occasions. I tip 20% or more. The tip on a meal is a negligible expense for either of us and not a source of conflict in our relationship.

Look at this 1%er here.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Now that you mention it, he Does seem to hint that he's a high earner

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

Weatherman posted:

What do you guys do about tipping at restaurants when you're married? Do you split the tip evenly, or do you pay according to a complex equation based on "who makes more", "who ordered more", and "who ended up eating more (both of each person's initial order and of any food that they didn't order but still consumed)"? Also how much of the bill is appropriate to tip?

I use dinners out as a convenient way to give my wife constructive pointers about how she should start being more responsible and increase her worth to society so that she can order nicer dishes. Sometimes I let her eat some of my extra food if I'm feeling generous, since otherwise she would never be able to afford steak or lobster in a restaurant.

When the separate bills come I make sure to help her figure out the tip percentage since I know how much better at math and numbers I am, then I consult the notes I've made about proper tip amounts and, using inputs like how much the waitress smiled and whether or not my drink was ever empty for more than 30 seconds, I come up with an amount I find appropriate for the service caste.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

I didn't post that in this thread, c'mon man. Can you be a little understanding of why I'm trying to do it better this time and asking people for help?

I'm not even saying that it was your fault. I have no clue. It was a long time ago and I don't really remember, but I don't think you gave out many details.

Just amusing that you're having the same issue with another woman one year later and still have no idea what to do with it. Who knows, maybe this one loves prenups.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Droo posted:

When the separate bills come I make sure to help her figure out the tip percentage since I know how much better at math and numbers I am, then I consult the notes I've made about proper tip amounts and, using inputs like how much the waitress smiled and whether or not my drink was ever empty for more than 30 seconds, I come up with an amount I find appropriate for the service caste.

You don’t put a stack of singles on the table at the beginning of the meal and let the server know when you take some back throughout the meal due to their poor performance? Missing out on handing out life lessons.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Wait is it not expected that a woman keep the ring in the event of an engagement dissolving?

The only reason I could see to give the ring back is if it was grandma’s maybe, but other than that?

It’s like loaning money to a family member, the second you hand it over you should never expect it to be yours again.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
There’s a fair amount of jurisprudence on the subject so it depends on your jurisdiction.

But usually it depends on who broke off the engagement, and whether the ring was offered during a gift giving occasion - eg Christmas or a birthday.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Droo posted:

I use dinners out as a convenient way to give my wife constructive pointers about how she should start being more responsible and increase her worth to society so that she can order nicer dishes. Sometimes I let her eat some of my extra food if I'm feeling generous, since otherwise she would never be able to afford steak or lobster in a restaurant.

This guy fucks

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

This guy doesn't

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
tipping is bad with money. why pay more than you need to

sparkmaster
Apr 1, 2010
long term emotional attachment to others is BWM

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Droo posted:

come up with an amount I find appropriate for the service caste.

Lol

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Methanar posted:

tipping is bad with money. why pay more than you need to

yeeeeahhh there it is!

who wants to guess how much my wedding cost?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

sparkmaster posted:

I loved you in Heat.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Kanish posted:

yeeeeahhh there it is!

For the tiebreaker, how much did the photographer cost??

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Kanish posted:

yeeeeahhh there it is!

If the amount isn't measured in "cases," you paid too much.

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Who would have guessed that some goons act like goons in their relationship.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Dustoph posted:

Who would have guessed that some goons act like goons in their relationship.

Somehow this thread has become a honeypot, and hell, I'm not complaining.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Yikes dude, lol.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Droo posted:

:gb2gbs:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

He's kidding.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

So BWM is just the tip of the iceberg here, but I've been listening to the new CBC radio series Uncover: Escaping NXIVM about the MLM-based cult and I highly recommend it.
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/uncover/listen-to-uncover-escaping-nxivm-1.4675949
Come for the millions of dollars lost via pyramid scheme, stay for the reincarnated Nazi harem.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Vox Nihili posted:

He's kidding.

Nah, you can't generate stupid drivel like that unless it already lives in your brain in some capacity.

Droo
Jun 25, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Nah, you can't generate stupid drivel like that unless it already lives in your brain in some capacity.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

in my opinion the only mistake you're making is believing that everyone shares your limitations.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I'm guilty of it too, friend. I don't claim to be superior to you

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I can't be sarcastic about something unless I actually secretly feel that way about it. Is that what you're saying?

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

sparkmaster posted:

inhabiting a body that requires constant nutritional inputs and shelter from the elements occasionally is BWM

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CornHolio posted:

inhabiting a body that requires constant nutritional inputs and shelter from the elements occasionally is BWM

Infomercial voice: "At today's prices you can't afford NOT to kill yourself!"

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

StormDrain posted:

You don’t put a stack of singles on the table at the beginning of the meal and let the server know when you take some back throughout the meal due to their poor performance? Missing out on handing out life lessons.

Don't be a Dick

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like the people for whom split finances work, it doesn't really matter how they handle they're finances, because they're largely on the same page as far as how much should be spent on what, and have very good, open lines of communications about financial matters.

I also feel like lawyer married to teacher just really wants her to be the one to dump him.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Eh, me and my wife split our finances, she gets her own account I get mine. We have a joint that we put money in also. But we don't split bills and do them jointly with me putting more money in. It certainly helps to not have money fights like a ton of people

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

e: needed to read the OP better

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 17, 2018

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Something Offal posted:

I want to hear about how people split money with their SO in restaurants too.

cool, start a thread

Lady Jaybird
Jan 23, 2014

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Did you read the first post? Limit the self posts. That's been the rule.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Something Offal posted:

Man this thread sucks and Moneyball is on a power trip. Somebody got probated for mentioning how they split their finances up with their SO? There are lots of BWM stories about that sort of thing and I'm not going to want to create a thread every time if god forbid an interesting question about BWM/GWM is spawned by the thread. Are we straight up not allowed to discuss stories if we use i/me/myself like this was a drug forum? Ridiculous.

I'm late by a page but whatever.

I want to hear about how people split money with their SO in restaurants too. We switch off but I'm not sure which way is most fair. Sometimes I think splitting is best but that can start money arguments for some reason. GadgetChris what drives you to pay every meal? I do just to avoid awkward money discussions so I understand your possible motivation, but it feels kinda BWM/unfair.

pig slut lisa posted:

Things that could get you probated
  • Talking about yourself

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Something Offal posted:

Man this thread sucks and Moneyball is on a power trip. Somebody got probated for mentioning how they split their finances up with their SO? There are lots of BWM stories about that sort of thing and I'm not going to want to create a thread every time if god forbid an interesting question about BWM/GWM is spawned by the thread. Are we straight up not allowed to discuss stories if we use i/me/myself like this was a drug forum? Ridiculous.

I want to hear about how people split money with their SO in restaurants too. We switch off but I'm not sure which way is most fair. Sometimes I think splitting is best but that can start money arguments for some reason. GadgetChris what drives you to pay every meal? I do just to avoid awkward money discussions so I understand your possible motivation, but it feels kinda BWM/unfair.

Don’t sign your posts.

If anything Moneyball should probate more than he does. Moneyball, feel free to probate me for this statement.

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Fine maybe I'm wrong if that's the consensus choice. I'll not do self posts anymore. I just don't understand how bland and distant our reaction to True BWM Stories will have to be to avoid ever mentioning our own situations and how they might relate.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Something Offal posted:

lol whose rereg are you?

OR

Show us on the rapsheet where the mod probated you

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Something Offal posted:

Fine maybe I'm wrong if that's the consensus choice. I'll not do self posts anymore. I just don't understand how bland and distant our reaction to True BWM Stories will have to be to avoid ever mentioning our own situations and how they might relate.

It's because it's loving *boring* reading about how you pinch pennies in the BWM thread. If you want to talk about being GWM, there's a proper thread for that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
I actually don't like to hand out probations for self-posting, but it's a rule for this thread and I get complaints if I let too much slide. If you feel like you're being unfairly targeted, please let me know.

If the admins would just let me permban everyone who posts here like I keep asking, that would make things a lot easier.