Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
lol if the trek thread starts producing quality trek content while cbs can't

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
please do not accuse my star trek work of being "quality content"

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Holy poo poo, I just watched the Next Generation episode “Birthright” and it is embarassing how much better Deep Space Nine looks on that show. It’s shameful. Everything isn’t a soft-focus brown and orange mush! Hell, even Bashir looks better!

Humiliating!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I sort of like how bad DS9 looks, it looks like an old show I'd watch on a lovely TV, as I did as a child :unsmith:

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I just wish there was the option of a high-def remaster.

I lived through the 90s once, that was enough for me.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I like all the DS9 episodes on Netflix that have the old (CC) logo in the corner of the screen. That's right up there with the episodes of Arrested Development on DVD that proudly advertise they're in Dolby Surround (where available).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
They're extremely embarrassed they actually made a good Star Trek series.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Pick posted:

I sort of like how bad DS9 looks, it looks like an old show I'd watch on a lovely TV, as I did as a child :unsmith:

It's kind of a nostalgia hit that way tbh. I almost think I'd enjoy it more with some light UHF static fading in and out and tinny sound as if from a small speaker. Well, maybe not, but I do remember watching some anime or other in around like 2001-2003, in an overly compressed rip with tinny sound, and maybe it was just that combo of that particular show with the low quality, but it was kind of a moving experience.

For me it at least partly stems from when I was a teenager, there was this radio station in a distant city that for a few hours on the weekends would play really different music from the usual stuff - underground, alternative, heavy metal, industrial, electronic - and I was just on the very edge of the listening area and the only place it would really come in at all was in my parents' car in the driveway. So I would sit out there in the dark, alone, listening to this staticky broadcast of (to me at the time) mind-blowing music, cursing it when it faded too far out, and loving every minute of it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I know we'll never get a high-def remaster but I really wish there was a curated upscale and (more importantly) digital color regrade.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's important that they hide the good Trek. Oh no, a Star Trek series that was good and legitimately diverse and provocative? into the hole you go

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Isn't that DS9 documentary supposed to release sometime next month?

Really looking forwards to it, whenever it is

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Bohemian Nights posted:

Isn't that DS9 documentary supposed to release sometime next month?

Really looking forwards to it, whenever it is

Next few months sometime, not sure when. They're gonna be HD-ing a little bit of the pilot as a treat as part of it.

Pick posted:

It's important that they hide the good Trek. Oh no, a Star Trek series that was good and legitimately diverse and provocative? into the hole you go

DS9 would be more costly to remaster because of the mixed effect techniques, more complex effects shots, and all the crazy battle stuff. And also it wasn't nearly as popular as TNG, and the TNG blu-rays lost a bunch of money, apparently. Mainly because they hosed up actually selling them, but whatever.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 16, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
ew pilot. I'd have dropped some serious cash to hd Civil Defense though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
They’re trying to upscale a bunch of clips from the whole series, not just the pilot. They were looking to get folks to sponsor individual scenes for $500 each.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I think I backed that when I was drunk and not paying attention. What do they mean "clip" for $500? Like 3-5 minutes or more like 20 seconds?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
They should Kickstarter that poo poo. Probably get enough to remaster the whole series and shoot a movie on top of it.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
how could anyone think ENT is boring when they have such riveting episodes such as The Captains Dog Got Sick

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I actually have a horrific aversion to hearing writers talk about their work in any external way, so I backed the doc with money literally to suggest support for the show in an abstract sense, I extremely doubt I will ever watch it. (I mean, if I care about the product--if it's like the Frakes & Sirtis commentary then it owns.)

I got burned meeting Peter S Beagle, among others. And it's not even that he was a bad dude or anything, he was very sweet, I just don't think he understands his work any better than someone who didn't write it. I don't even think that's rare. It's not a feeling I like!

So it's more like "Here's $500, don't talk to me."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick posted:

By the way, side note: this attitude can win you a surprising number of friends :o

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Pick posted:

I think I backed that when I was drunk and not paying attention. What do they mean "clip" for $500? Like 3-5 minutes or more like 20 seconds?

The update said $500 per “scene”, so I’d assume more than a quick 3-5 second clip.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The update said $500 per “scene”, so I’d assume more than a quick 3-5 second clip.

That makes sense, I'd heard for other series it was like $100 a second to do remastering or something but hosed if I know if the tools have changed or whatever is the driver of the expense.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

They could have the really popular scenes cost more. So a random walk-and-talk down a corridor would be a few bucks, but just imagine the bidding to be the one who sponsors Sisko's In the Pale Moonlight log entry, or Garak ripping Ezri a new one, or the last conversation between Kira and Aamin Marritza. Or even "come to Quark's, Quark's is fun."

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
easy. the realest moment in star trek.

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Pick posted:

I actually have a horrific aversion to hearing writers talk about their work in any external way, so I backed the doc with money literally to suggest support for the show in an abstract sense, I extremely doubt I will ever watch it. (I mean, if I care about the product--if it's like the Frakes & Sirtis commentary then it owns.)

I got burned meeting Peter S Beagle, among others. And it's not even that he was a bad dude or anything, he was very sweet, I just don't think he understands his work any better than someone who didn't write it. I don't even think that's rare. It's not a feeling I like!

mark kermode paraphrase: they only made this poo poo we have to watch it

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

MikeJF posted:

DS9 would be more costly to remaster because of the mixed effect techniques, more complex effects shots, and all the crazy battle stuff. And also it wasn't nearly as popular as TNG, and the TNG blu-rays lost a bunch of money, apparently. Mainly because they hosed up actually selling them, but whatever.

What was the budget on the TNG upgrade? I could see Netflix doing something with it, though DS9 by the own admission isn't as popular as Voyager or TNG in terms of analytics.

The Netflix - CBS relationship seems pretty good, at least when it comes to Discovery, so maybe they'd be interested in doing more. (iirc it was reported that Discovery was basically funded by money Netflix paid CBS to have exclusive streaming rights in ROW outside of the US).

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

McNally posted:

You mean Utopia Planitia.

On Mars.

...how long, exactly, do you think it takes to commute from Earth to Mars with 24th century federation propulsion technology?

Do you really think that Sisko is going to have Jake live on Mars rather than Earth because he doesn't want to spend, like, a half hour or so each way in the morning and evening?

I was quite aware that the whatever whatever wasn't actually on Earth when I made my post. Hell, clearly, I thought it was closer to Europa, and still figured they lived on Earth.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I never figured out travel times. However, between DS9 and Earth w/ Ferengi tech (still under W10) is probably less than a day based on Little Green Men.

Correct answer is: whatever your fanfic requires so that Worf and Geordi both need to take a nap on the Defiant but there's ONLY ONE BED OH NOooooo

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I'm sure that, within a solar system like that, you could probably transport between planets. Set up some repeaters, don't fully dematerialize the passenger until their complete pattern arrives at the destination, and a trip to Mars could very well take a few minutes at most.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Sperg Alpha says the Enterprise went from Earth to Jupiter in 1.8 hours in TMP. Jupiter at opposition is about 4 AU away. Mars at opposition is about .5 AU away from Earth, so let's call it a 20 minute trip at full impulse including acceleration and deceleration. At maximum distance Earth and Mars are about 2.5 AU apart, so that'd be an hour and change.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Sperg Alpha also quotes full impulse as being ~75,000 km/s (per the Voyager Tech Manual), so a one-way trip between Earth and Mars at their farthest possible distance would take 3 hours.

Presumably they can also just hit Warp 1 and be there in like 3-5 minutes.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Would Earth - Mars not be in transporter range?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

In It's Behr's new pitch video asking for more money, it has a sample of the root beer scene, so it's more than just the pilot.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The_Doctor posted:

Not Federation transporters, but you could have relays presumably.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DS9 to Bajor is about 4 hours, and it's around that systems outer rim

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

CPColin posted:

I like all the DS9 episodes on Netflix that have the old (CC) logo in the corner of the screen. That's right up there with the episodes of Arrested Development on DVD that proudly advertise they're in Dolby Surround (where available).

I thought CC was just the American name for subtitles and I don't get what's up with this!
Or what's up with the dolby thing either.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Grand Fromage posted:

Sperg Alpha says the Enterprise went from Earth to Jupiter in 1.8 hours in TMP. Jupiter at opposition is about 4 AU away. Mars at opposition is about .5 AU away from Earth, so let's call it a 20 minute trip at full impulse including acceleration and deceleration. At maximum distance Earth and Mars are about 2.5 AU apart, so that'd be an hour and change.

yeah but did you see their page on naps

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Taear posted:

I thought CC was just the American name for subtitles and I don't get what's up with this!

CC stands for “closed captioning”, which is subtitles for the deaf or hearing impaired. TV shows used to advertise that they had closed captioning back when it was less ubiquitous by flashing a little graphic at the beginning of each episode. Same with Dolby sound, which was just better sound quality for people with higher end speaker set-ups.

Now most of those things are standard, so they don’t advertise them.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Taear posted:

Closed Captions means it's for deaf people. So it indicates other noises that are taking place, like

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Pick posted:

Closed Captions means it's for deaf people. So it indicates other noises that are taking place, like

That's how subtitles work here too though. Stuff here (the UK) isn't always subtitled so things still say subtitled. And Dolby stuff shows up too because not everyone has soundbars!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

I want to say transporter range in TNG was given as ~20,000km