Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DogonCrook posted:

Id rather gaming was legal to be honest and that gambling was spiced up like video games. poo poo.

That's probably the joke, but it already is, and there's a lot of overlap. Hell, Konami tried to go full on into gambling machines and abandon regular ol' games. (right as Japan legalised regular ol' gambling and cracked down on pachinko parlours)

Also see how Pokemon games took out the slot machine parlours later on since they were getting the games rated higher for Gambling References. I think Japan is or was a lot more lenient about gambling and depictions thereof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

QuarkJets posted:

I'm sorry sir but this is the thread for unpopular opinions, not factual statements

You're right. I'm sorry.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Morrowind sucks even more than Oblivion.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Vídeo shames

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Mario and nearly all 2d platform games suck.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Stooge posted:

I found Red Dead Redemption to be pretty boring.

I would have probably enjoyed RDR more if I hadn't played Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood first.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
I think people that say they like indie games are pretending. Same for people that say they like jazz, but this isn't the thread for that.

People that say "indie has to do with publishing, it's not a genre" know exactly what people mean when they say "indie," they're just being pedantic twats.

Graphic fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Sep 16, 2018

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

large publisher influence fucks games up, only produce certain kinds of games, and are more vulnerable to toxic, exploitative trends that emphasize monetization over fun or quality products.

indie developers are out there to more or less do what they want and make some money along the way. not all of them obviously, and there are tons and tons of trash indie games, but if it's not published by ea, actiblizzion, ubisoft, etc. i can at least hope there are no loot boxes and other trash investor-driven game design.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It depends on the kind of indie games. For I think most people, it's that indies make games in styles and genres that big publishers have abandoned, screwed up or never do much of in the first place, so they're the only game in town. (not to mention releasing games during mid-year droughts when nothing else is coming out, for the people who like having new stuff)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Graphic posted:

I think people that say they like indie games are pretending. Same for people that say they like jazz, but this isn't the thread for that.

People that say "indie has to do with publishing, it's not a genre" know exactly what people mean when they say "indie," they're just being pedantic twats.

everyone probably has their own definition of what an "indie" game is, you're the one being a pedantic twat by trying to say that your specific definition is the correct one

The Dennis System
Aug 4, 2014

Nothing in Jurassic World is natural, we have always filled gaps in the genome with the DNA of other animals. And if the genetic code was pure, many of them would look quite different. But you didn't ask for reality, you asked for more teeth.

spaceblancmange posted:

Mario and nearly all 2d platform games suck.

Nah, a lot of 2D platformers are fun even in 2018.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

The Dennis System posted:

3D Platformers can be good too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RH5S1MV2PC4

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

QuarkJets posted:

everyone probably has their own definition of what an "indie" game is, you're the one being a pedantic twat by trying to say that your specific definition is the correct one

I think he's talking about those fake retro games that somehow look worse then actual 8bit

Either that or "story" games where it should have been a visual novel instead, with no/lovely gameplay to speak of

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

QuarkJets posted:

found the pedantic hipster twat. undertale sucks.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i'm the kind of boring person who is actually excited to purchase AAA video games because their repetetive nature, aversion to innovation or novelty, and their love of selling me $15 skins to pwn noobs with hasn't bored my simpleton brain to death after 20 years of the same old poo poo, but prettier and worse with every iteration. I can't figure out why people like indie games that try novel things and free'd from the mindless unfeeling directives that come from being owned my people who only care about share price! I'm a big loving retard!!!!!!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Graphic posted:

found the pedantic hipster twat. undertale sucks.

Turn your monitor back on

underdate does indeed suck

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

here's a hot take: Witcher 3 is an indie game

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
Nioh and Metal Gear Solid V are the best games since Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Graphic posted:

What is the genre then?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The whole idea of 'genre' in video games is really vague, artificial and unhelpful most of the time, at least the categories that most people know. There is a genuine need for categorisations, but nobody can really agree on where to start.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Graphic posted:

Lol if you don't like jazz

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The whole idea of 'genre' in video games is really vague, artificial and unhelpful most of the time, at least the categories that most people know. There is a genuine need for categorisations, but nobody can really agree on where to start.

Is there really a genuine need for categorisations? Why?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Let me tell you all about the Berlin Definition and what a real roguelike is...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

fridge corn posted:

Is there really a genuine need for categorisations? Why?

Because video games demonstrably have massive amounts of variety in how they play, how they are constructed and what experience they give, to the point where the only things some have in common is being on the same platform, while others are clearly iterations on each other within the same category even if they are unrelated franchises, and people who buy and play games like having a decent way to figure out what they're looking at and what they want to look for in an increasingly swamped market.

I mean, that seems pretty obvious. Why wouldn't they?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Graphic posted:

Same for people that say they like jazz, but this isn't the thread for that.

Hahahhahahha :tinsley:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Because video games demonstrably have massive amounts of variety in how they play, how they are constructed and what experience they give, to the point where the only things some have in common is being on the same platform, while others are clearly iterations on each other within the same category even if they are unrelated franchises, and people who buy and play games like having a decent way to figure out what they're looking at and what they want to look for in an increasingly swamped market.

I mean, that seems pretty obvious. Why wouldn't they?

so basically you are saying video games need better marketing lmao

do you really have that much trouble deciding what games to play?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I find the categorizations generally helpful, if you stick to a really broad brush. If someone tells me that the Witcher 3 is an action RPG then I understand that its gameplay probably involves real-time combat and RPG elements.

fridge corn posted:

so basically you are saying video games need better marketing lmao

do you really have that much trouble deciding what games to play?

No he's saying that it can be useful to have labels for things that vary significantly but that are broadly similar. Kind of like how it's essential to have names for different types of fruit, "apples" and "oranges" aren't just superfluous labels

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Sep 16, 2018

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
40k is a dumpster fire of a license and every video game that trades on it ends up being worse for it.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think RDR 2 is going to loving suck

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Panzeh posted:

40k is a dumpster fire of a license and every video game that trades on it ends up being worse for it.

This but star wars

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

DoctorGonzo posted:

"Your horse is too hungry to continue walking, you need to purchase a Cougar Card to top up his oats!"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

DoctorGonzo posted:

:yeah:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

sebmojo posted:

This but star wars

Star Wars is absolute rear end, but if Respawn makes a good game out of that dogshit license I might consider it

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

sebmojo posted:

This but star wars

People have in general learned (or been taught, mostly) to beware Star Wars games. For a while the market was starved for Warhammer Fantasy and 40K games and I think that's affected what a lot of people were willing to put up with. There's not really a Warhammer game I'd put over a B-, and the vast majority are shovelware.

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said
to answer it seriously re: "Indie" as a genre, a genre can be defined by a certain style or tone, even if the specific content (in this case, gameplay mechanics) vary to a great degree. Art film and indie music (which doesn't actually exclude music released by major labels) are the rough analogues to the "indie game." The "indie game" might be a more nebulous concept than art films and indie rock, but the vast majority of people know that when you talk about "indie games" outside of the context of a discussion about game publishing/distribution, you're not talking about Warframe.

basic hitler posted:

i'm the kind of boring person who is actually excited to purchase AAA video games because their repetetive nature, aversion to innovation or novelty, and their love of selling me $15 skins to pwn noobs with hasn't bored my simpleton brain to death after 20 years of the same old poo poo, but prettier and worse with every iteration. I can't figure out why people like indie games that try novel things and free'd from the mindless unfeeling directives that come from being owned my people who only care about share price! I'm a big loving retard!!!!!!

AAA games are generally poo poo too, for totally different reasons than indie games. Each franchise comes out of a factory once per year like clockwork, with an insipid story that says nothing and gameplay so watered down to appeal to everyone that it's satisfying to no one.

But indie games are pretentious, boring, short bullshit that usually amount to interesting curiosities instead of fulfilling gaming experiences.

The real action is in "B games" or whatever you want to call mid-tier games. They innovate, their developers mostly or do have creative freedom, they're not meant to appeal to everyone, are not expected to sell 10 billion copies, but they have enough financial backing to be an actual video game. A recent example I've been playing recently of something that exemplifies this perfectly is Yakuza 0. Other ones are stuff like XCOM and Dark Souls, which managed to break out into major success, but still retain an authentic identity different than the "AAA" game because of their roots.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

The Dennis System posted:

I wonder if there are also people who watch movies from 1905 named things like "Kerfuffle at the Cobbler's" or "Horse Crosses the Main Street" and claim they still hold up in 2018.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

I wonder if there are also people who watch movies from 1905 named things like "Kerfuffle at the Cobbler's" or "Horse Crosses the Main Street" and claim they still hold up in 2018.

I bet there's even people who still play chess.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Graphic posted:

Indie means independent, as in developed by an independent studio without a big publisher. I hope this helps you.

Graphic posted:

But indie games are pretentious, boring, short bullshit that usually amount to interesting curiosities instead of fulfilling gaming experiences.

FTL, Invisible Inc, and a bunch of others are all extremely fulfilling and have tons of replay value, I basically ignore games that are not by small studios or have overly lavish graphics (I hate loading times and not being able to shut a game down in less than 5 seconds).

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Sep 16, 2018

Graphic
Sep 4, 2018

It's like Lenin said

Shibawanko posted:

Indie means independent, as in developed by an independent studio without a big publisher. I hope this helps you.

http://gamestudies.org/1601/articles/gardagrabarczyk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

sebmojo posted:

This but star wars

I remember back when nearly every game with the Star Wars license that came out was great. And then George Lucas decided to make three more movies, so it wasn't a dead property that nobody gave a poo poo about anymore and every Star Wars game since then has been bad.

Sodomy Hussein posted:

There's not really a Warhammer game I'd put over a B-, and the vast majority are shovelware.

Bloodbowl is fun! But if you wanted to knock them down to a B- for gutting the game content to make the majority of the teams DLC, I wouldn't blame you.