Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Toalpaz posted:

Why are they giving her a platform? Why is the writing so passive? 'She disputes RCMP data' yeah well... How does she dispute it? Is it an effective argument? She doesnt think that gun bans in the UK or Australia have been successful? Okay what evidence does she have though? Its just a bunch of her opinions in a 'cbc article'. She's a Lobbyist too, it's like saying oil lobbyist says environmental externalities don't matter.

In short I remembered why I don't even briefly watch or read mainstream news atm.

I assume they give her a platform as they give Wendy Cuckier (anti-gun) a platform. Whenever gun stuff comes up in the news its reasonably fair and balanced to have the 2 opposing sides give their view points.

Don't personally like Wendy Cuckier either as most of her points are kind of the same, not much data but lots of feels and some of her points of "common sense gun control" don't stand up to scrutiny IMO.

This news article isn't very good either.

quote:

In this wide-ranging conversation, Wilson also explained why she opposes Bill C-71, the federal government's legislation. It includes restrictions on large-capacity magazines for guns and seeks to increase the parameters of background checks for Canadians seeking a gun licence, from five years to the applicant's lifetime.

Yeah Canada has had restricted magazine capacity laws since the 1990's C-71 doesn't do anything about that. I'm always a little shocked at how wrong news article gets things when its all easily verifiable by looking at our current laws.

C-71 checklist of changes
  • make background checks for firearm license applicants go back forever instead of the past 5 years
  • Prohibit by name 2 firearms the CZ 858 and Swiss Arms SIG rifles.
  • Mandate that every non-restricted firearm transfer must be conducted and approved by the Canadian Firearms Registrar. (Restricted/Prohibited firearm transfers already must go through the Registrar)
  • Revoke the government's power to classify a firearm as non-restricted by name. (The government can then only classify firearms as Prohibited or restricted by name, and only the RCMP can classify firearms as Prohibited, restricted or non-restricted)
  • Revoke the Automatic Authorization to Transport (ATT) restricted firearms to gunsmiths, gunshows, and the border. Gun owners need to apply for a paper ATT to transport restricted firearms if they want to bring it to those locations.
  • Make Gunstores keep a registry of guns sold.

Don't want to soapbox too much but if anyone wants a "simple" overview of our gun laws I wrote this summary which covers about 90% of the gun laws in Canada.

I try not to wade too much into this stuff, just like to put the facts out there for people to decide for themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PT6A posted:

What if people try to offer me free things? WHAT THEN???

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/nose-hill-gentlemen-pro-gun-letter-sparks-twitter-frenzy-1.1172624

Imagine... the horror of being talked to in public, and being offered free things... unthinkable, really.

TBH, I get an itchy trigger finger too whenever someone approaches me about the Stampede. Really though, it raises an excellent point about why anyone who wants to be able to carry a gun should absolutely not under any circumstances be allowed to have one.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I am uncomfortable about prohibiting certain guns by name. Either they are worthy of restriction because of their characteristics, or they aren't. Restricting certain firearms by name just gives ammunition to gun nuts who try to point out that [a small fraction of] our gun laws are unreasonable and based around fear rather than reality.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

infernal machines posted:

TBH, I get an itchy trigger finger too whenever someone approaches me about the Stampede. Really though, it raises an excellent point about why anyone who wants to be able to carry a gun should absolutely not under any circumstances be allowed to have one.

Also further proof ACAB.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

PT6A posted:

I am uncomfortable about prohibiting certain guns by name. Either they are worthy of restriction because of their characteristics, or they aren't. Restricting certain firearms by name just gives ammunition to gun nuts who try to point out that [a small fraction of] our gun laws are unreasonable and based around fear rather than reality.

Honestly I think a lot of it is stupid. I would personally like to just rewrite the whole act instead of trying to patch over it again and again.

I like the licensing system and registering handguns but everything else could be worked on.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

She's not wrong. I cant find the fun chart but there was one published recently where it was something like of the 2000 firearm murders in the past 10 years, 7 of them were with legal,registered firearms.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Ban all guns and lock up all gun owners. Including cops.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

zapplez posted:

She's not wrong. I cant find the fun chart but there was one published recently where it was something like of the 2000 firearm murders in the past 10 years, 7 of them were with legal,registered firearms.

Wow, that's 7 people that didn't have to die!

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

CLAM DOWN posted:

Ban all guns and lock up all gun owners. Including cops.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Toalpaz posted:

More people die from legally bought baseball bats or kitchen knives than guns. We oughta ban those first!

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

PT6A posted:

"you can't just ban some of the guns, people will just commit crimes with all the other ones !"
"you can't ban all guns, how will I be able to shoot animals then !"

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Toalpaz posted:

But just think, if we stopped regulating guns, all 2000 of those homicides could have been committed with entirely legal firearms. We need to stop needlessly criminalizing homicides.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

zapplez posted:

More people die from legally bought baseball bats or kitchen knives than guns. We oughta ban those first!

Fun fact, both baseball bats and kitchen knives have uses in the home and community, beyond putting holes in things. Weirdly, handguns do not.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Kitchen knives sure. A baseball bat has as much utility as a handgun though, in that it's only useful to participate in a hobby that while not really all that objectionable, isn't some sacred right or anything.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sure, if we're going so reductive as "the sport of baseball is the act of hitting things with a baseball bat", and I don't see why we wouldn't. Beside, I think it's entirely reasonable that I should be able to go down to the park with my Glock and plink some cans on a nice Sunday afternoon, right?

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fun fact, both baseball bats and kitchen knives have uses in the home and community, beyond putting holes in things. Weirdly, handguns do not.

edit: why bother getting angry with uninformed people

vincentpricesboner fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 16, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

zapplez posted:

Essentially 100% of murders in Canada with handguns are already super illegal on multiple levels.

:thunk:

Amazing. Illegal murders you say?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

Honestly the problem with this is more that all a manufacturer has to do is make an offshoot design with a different name and now it's no longer covered by the law. It basically turns firearms law into whack-a-mole rather than actual effective legislation.

Also, unrelated to the quoted post but related to gun chat in general: One thing you have to bear in mind is that almost every "gun rights" organization is tied either directly or indirectly to gun manufacturers and that's why their messages are always "more guns for everyone is better". It has nothing to do with rights or public safety and everything to do with making more money.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Honestly the problem with this is more that all a manufacturer has to do is make an offshoot design with a different name and now it's no longer covered by the law. It basically turns firearms law into whack-a-mole rather than actual effective legislation.

Well, yeah. It's a poor choice for the reason you describe, which then gives ammunition to gun nuts to say that our laws are stupid.

Booourns posted:

"you can't just ban some of the guns, people will just commit crimes with all the other ones !"
"you can't ban all guns, how will I be able to shoot animals then !"

I have no problem with banning some guns, and I even have no problem with laws that would ban the guns which are presently banned by name. I just think the laws should take into account which features of those guns are so objectionable, and then ban those features, taking care of banning those guns which are presently banned by name, and also banning similar guns.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

:thunk:

Amazing. Illegal murders you say?

There are the other ones where you're just defending your farm in Saskatchewan.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Oddly enough, with a handgun.

If he had an AR-15 he wouldn't have accidentally put a round in the back of that kids head.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

PT6A posted:

Well, yeah. It's a poor choice for the reason you describe, which then gives ammunition to gun nuts to say that our laws are stupid.

I wouldn't worry about giving ammunition to gun nuts because their outlook is already one of distrust for everything that would even dare reach for their guns. We do need to worry about people in the middle who don't like guns but go "gosh, why can't we just let them have their hobby?" etc. We need useful legislation we can point to when reasonable people, gun-owning or not, want to take a look at the issue.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

zapplez posted:

So you would rather have 2000 firearm deaths with legal firearms instead.

Also that number would skyrocket well past 2000.

Also also youre a loving idiot.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

zapplez posted:

edit: why bother getting angry with uninformed people

Says the guy that on this very page admitted he pulled the numbers out of which he was basing his argument solely out of his rear end

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

zapplez posted:

https://twitter.com/InternetHippo/status/881161169469403137

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

A Typical Goon posted:

Says the guy that on this very page admitted he pulled the numbers out of which he was basing his argument solely out of his rear end

There were 223 firearms deaths as a result of crime in Canada during 2016, and 4 of those were by someone with a legal firearm and a valid license.

Overall of the 611 homicides (firearm and otherwise) in 2016, legal firearm owners comprised about 0.6%.

Is banning handguns outright instead of very strong near prohibition (which it currently is) going to change those numbers much. Is there something more effective we could be doing with the legislation, like things that actually affect violent crime like wealth inequality, gang influence in marginalized neighborhoods, more accessible childcare, free mental health support?

I have no problem protesting for health care, worker protections, childcare, etc.

Banning more guns when we already have strong gun laws in this country? Its not going to do much if anything.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

I completely agree that banning handguns entirely will have a negligible effect on the number of homicides committed with handguns, and possibly a moderate effect on the number of suicides committed with handguns.

I also don't care because what the gently caress do you need a handgun for in the first place?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

zapplez posted:

I have no problem protesting for health care, worker protections, childcare, etc.

Banning more guns when we already have strong gun laws in this country? Its not going to do much if anything.

Dude why did you bother expanding on the sentiment, you could have just empty-quoted me

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

zapplez posted:

so you’re saying prohibition works?

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

The whole need bigger magazines and access to AR-15's is the bullshitiest bullshit.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/northern-bc-elections-1.4825030

Overall you get a lot of "two people running for four positions", "nine for eight", etc.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

At least you guys get to have elections

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
In Whistler we have one person running as mayor. Our incumbent isn't running again (I'm pretty sure she would have been destroyed if she did) and only one of the former councillors stepped up.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

zapplez posted:

There were 223 firearms deaths as a result of crime in Canada during 2016, and 4 of those were by someone with a legal firearm and a valid license.

Overall of the 611 homicides (firearm and otherwise) in 2016, legal firearm owners comprised about 0.6%.

Could we have a source for those numbers?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Tochiazuma posted:

Could we have a source for those numbers?

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/171122/dq171122b-eng.htm

Wistful of Dollars posted:

The whole need bigger magazines and access to AR-15's is the bullshitiest bullshit.

Look pal, it takes a lot more than five rounds to put down a buck with 5.56 and I ain't got time to be reloading.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Sep 16, 2018

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Wasn't questioning the total homicide and gun-related part, more the registered firearms numbers.

Closest I could find to an answer was this

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/85-005-x/2018001/article/54962-eng.htm

"In 2015, 42% of firearms used in the commission of a homicide were recovered, while in 2016 just over one in three (34%) were recovered.

In 2015 and 2016, in about one-third (32%) of firearm-related homicides (where the firearm was recovered) police reported the firearm was “not applicable” to be registered. During this same period, police reported that the firearm was registered in one-quarter (21 out of 84) of firearm related homicides where registration status was applicable and known to police."

But that also comes with a warning: "It is important to note that a large number of the registration statuses of firearms related to homicides are coded by police as “unknown” or “not applicable.” As a result, data related to firearm registration should be interpreted with caution. The Canadian Centre for Justice Statistics is currently working with police services to increase the quality of these data."

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/daily-quotidien/171122/dq171122b-eng.htm

Look pal, it takes a lot more than five rounds to put down a buck with 5.56 and I ain't got time to be reloading.

She stated she was worried about "wolves" or "coyotes". :airquote:

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

I'm immediately suspicious of anyone who claims they need a gun in an urban environment. It's you, you're the problem, dumbass.

Someone arrest this criminal immediately!

Gun rights are civil rights, and if you don't need them, maybe your kids or their friends will.

xtal fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 16, 2018

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

As I was saying, anyone worried about being able to carry a gun in an urban environment should definitely not be allowed near a gun, for instance brain addled anarchists who think they're Malcolm X

Also, the police.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 16, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Our firearms laws are mostly sane but with a pathetic illogical reactionary layer on top and it's only getting worse without fixing anything. Not only is the crime rate with legal firearms extremely low but banning them as part of a campaign to rid our country of both legally and illegally privately held firearms isn't going to work because we share a border with a country with a severely toxic attitude of personal freedom even at the expense of societal health and the legal right to own firearms enshrined in their constitution, which is the source of nearly all the illegally held firearms in the country.

And quite frankly shooting guns and hunting is fun and seeing as logically the odds of a legal firearm owner hurting anyone but themselves with it, anyone calling for even dumber firearm laws or an outright ban should kindly gently caress off and spend their effort doing something more productive for society.