Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tekopo posted:

If I remember correctly, goons weren't knocking it for the art being obvious rip-offs, but because the art was literally palette-swapped art from various fighting games. I can't find it on that page though, so maybe they took the stolen art assets down?

EDIT: nope, still there, lol

Playing a game of "how many obvious ripoffs can you spot on" on their KS page is still funny.

My favourite is still the "just mashed Sean and Alex together and called it a day" guy, though "literally just Akuma but a pasty-rear end white motherfucker" is pretty funny too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
It's beyond ripoffs, too, like it's not simply ideas mashed together.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

signalnoise posted:

Alright, alright, I acknowledge it. I actually regret bringing up the art thing as a derail because the game itself is really polished. They just contracted the artwork out to a group that doesn't care about plagiarism.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Man, if it weren't for like everything else that would be some killer miniatures for a Feng Shui game.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Dawgstar posted:

Man, if it weren't for like everything else that would be some killer miniatures for a Feng Shui game.

Have you seen Dragon Tides? It was a kickstarter board game that was officially licensed for Bruce and Brandon Lee

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

JazzFlight posted:

Alright, alright, I acknowledge it. I actually regret bringing up the art thing as a derail because the game itself is really polished. They just contracted the artwork out to a group that doesn't care about plagiarism.

And they themselves don’t care either?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

I mean you said it yourself, the art being total ripoffs and thinly disguised traces is entirely the point. The idea that they contracted it to an outside party that just happened to trace and whoops, guess there's nothing to be done about it is laughable. Other companies that make minis-heavy games also do the same thing with TV/film characters, too. :shrug:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

It appears that it maintains all the old problems with Sentinels of the Multiverse. It's really fiddly, with loads of little bonuses and penalties all over. There's nothing to prevent quarterbacking, and a whole lot to encourage it. The simpler decks suffer from autopilot syndrome, and the complicated decks deal with multiple layers of RNG.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

signalnoise posted:

Have you seen Dragon Tides? It was a kickstarter board game that was officially licensed for Bruce and Brandon Lee

Oh, man. That also looks nice.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

I know nothing about the kickstarter, but I think it says a lot that pretty much the only thing they did was make her boobs look bigger.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

clockworkjoe posted:

Only 4 days left for the reprint of Channel A, possibly the best party card game I've ever played https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/evilhat/channel-a-alpha-genesis-edition

Yeah, I've got the first printing and it's always been a hit when I've brought it out. A real shame it doesn't look like it's going to make it. :(

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dawgstar posted:

On which note, Shadowfist just went to a new publisher. Only slightly relevant here, as I believe they don't intend to kick-start it, but that's why Inner Kingdom aren't doing any more projects.

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014

Agent Rush posted:

Yeah, I've got the first printing and it's always been a hit when I've brought it out. A real shame it doesn't look like it's going to make it. :(

Hrm. It’s an Evil Hat Kickstarter, which means no shipping outside of the US. I was going to take a look at it when it hit retail, but that looks unlikely now. Too bad.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I'd given thought to it a few times, but no international shipping kills it stone dead for me. Oh well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jedit posted:

On which note, Shadowfist just went to a new publisher. Only slightly relevant here, as I believe they don't intend to kick-start it, but that's why Inner Kingdom aren't doing any more projects.

Man, I always forget about Shadowfist even as I know it's a great game. Especially multiplayer.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

golden bubble posted:

It appears that it maintains all the old problems with Sentinels of the Multiverse. It's really fiddly, with loads of little bonuses and penalties all over. There's nothing to prevent quarterbacking, and a whole lot to encourage it. The simpler decks suffer from autopilot syndrome, and the complicated decks deal with multiple layers of RNG.
Yep. I like it a lot (I also like SotM).

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Bee Lives has funded! This is so exciting as my first kickstarter!

Time to hit those stretch goals!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/580070528/bee-lives-we-will-only-know-summer

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

nesbit37 posted:

Bee Lives has funded! This is so exciting as my first kickstarter!

Time to hit those stretch goals!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/580070528/bee-lives-we-will-only-know-summer

Good luck goon! I love bees and boardgames, will be backing soon!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Deep Madness https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/diemensiongames/deep-madness?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=Deep%20madness has announced that the game is going end up being Kickstarter exclusive about 2-3 weeks before backers start receiving their copies. They’ve said the final production costs were too much to make the game affordable on the retail level. They also announced they doing a KS for a second printing launching in November and establish a universe with a prequel based skirmish game kickstarting in 2019. They’re describing the game setting as a sort of Hyborean Age/first age of man style thing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know Cthulhu is horribly overplayed but "Cthulu vs barbarians" is something I very muchly want

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Deep Madness https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/diemensiongames/deep-madness?ref=nav_search&result=project&term=Deep%20madness has announced that the game is going end up being Kickstarter exclusive about 2-3 weeks before backers start receiving their copies. They’ve said the final production costs were too much to make the game affordable on the retail level. They also announced they doing a KS for a second printing launching in November and establish a universe with a prequel based skirmish game kickstarting in 2019. They’re describing the game setting as a sort of Hyborean Age/first age of man style thing.

That's one way to avoid the "We tagged too much of the content as Kickstarter exclusive and now no one will want the retail version" problem.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
If you were on the fence about backing the Channel A Kickstarter, it's got about 3 days left and needs to bring in another $4,500 or so to fund! Evil Hat has put together a free PNP version, a PDF of the rules, and an online version if you want to see what it's like.

Also this happened:
https://twitter.com/kamehouseparty/status/1041760582163226624

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Dumnbunny posted:

Hrm. It’s an Evil Hat Kickstarter, which means no shipping outside of the US. I was going to take a look at it when it hit retail, but that looks unlikely now. Too bad.

Bieeanshee posted:

I'd given thought to it a few times, but no international shipping kills it stone dead for me. Oh well.

Oh, that sucks. Has Evil Hat ever detailed why it doesn't offer international shipping? I don't think I've ever backed one of their KS before.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
International shipping is a complete nightmare. Its very possible to offer a particular shipping cost, and have that figure increase dramatically between campaign and fulfillment. Evil Hat has, apparently, just elected to not bother with it at all

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Simply mailing an envelope internationally ended up getting absurdly goofy for me, can't imagine how much worse a board game would be

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Pax Pamir 2nd Edition is closing in on its final 48 hours with about $16k to go on the final stretch goal, which is pretty much a given at its growth rate. Wehrle has made explicitly clear that this won't be getting a retail release (beyond retail pledges), so if it's something you're interested in and haven't already pledged, now is the time.

Buck Wildman fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Sep 18, 2018

simonwolf
Oct 29, 2011
I'm another non-American who would definitely have backed Channel A if it was an option. Sticking with the print and play for the foreseeable future I guess!

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I understand that you can't reliably ask people to include shipping at time of pledge, but why not say you'll do it at the backerkit stage?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Cassa posted:

I understand that you can't reliably ask people to include shipping at time of pledge, but why not say you'll do it at the backerkit stage?

They'd still have to find European and Asian distribution partners (or a US one willing to handle shipping to RoW), which would be work they've decided they don't want to do, I guess.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

Lemon-Lime posted:

They'd still have to find European and Asian distribution partners (or a US one willing to handle shipping to RoW), which would be work they've decided they don't want to do, I guess.

I'd imagine they did the math, and relatively low numbers of international backers made background costs too high to bother with too. It sucks, but that's life.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
As someone who sells a fair amount on ebay, if I didn't have access to the global shipping program they offer, I wouldn't ship internationally period. poo poo's insanely tedious, customs suck, and the prices can get outrageous. Forecasting prices for international shipping sounds like a logistical nightmare and financially dangerous, I recall some serious issues arose during...I want to say it was either one of Mantic's or Reaper's kickstarters where international shipping costs went up significantly between the end of the project and actual shipping, leading to major costs to the companies running them.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

signalnoise posted:

Dragon Tides is also in legal hell and didn't deliver everything to the backers, so I wouldn't support them.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I didn't notice that the tiny epic mechs kickstarter had gone up

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/coe/tiny-epic-mechs-mechanized-entertainment-combat-he

Look at the poo poo-eating grin on this guy

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Guy Goodbody posted:

I know Cthulhu is horribly overplayed but "Cthulu vs barbarians" is something I very muchly want

It is, but unfortunately I was conflating two projects. The ancient age of earth game is Celestial and has a severe case of body horror sexy dimorphism. Like half the models released so far are barely dressed women with various techno/organic accessories and the other half are humanoid playdough monsters.

Which is a shame because I actually do like The Queen of the Void https://shop.celestialgame.com/products/queen-of-the-void because it veers well enough into uncomfortably alien territory.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 18, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Nice

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

It is, but unfortunately I was conflating two projects. The ancient age of earth game is Celestial and has a severe case of body horror sexy dimorphism. Like half the models released so far are barely dressed women with various techno/organic accessories and the other half are humanoid playdough monsters.

Which is a shame because I actually do like The Queen of the Void https://shop.celestialgame.com/products/queen-of-the-void because it veers well enough into uncomfortably alien territory.

It's a shame the male monsters aren't equally erotic, but yeah those are cool models

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
Sneaking on in here from my hiatus to let everyone know that recognized genius and all around great RPG dude Cecil Howe has just launched his The Forest Hymn & Picnic kickstarter, linked here.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
That introduction video is extremely charming. Going to be hard not to back.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
Famous Italian RPG Lex Arcana is on Kickstarter for a new edition and English language version. Looks pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Things From the Flood, the sequel to Tales from the Loop, is up and all stretch goals are hit and it still has 21 days left...