Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
Awesome thanks for the detailed writeup!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

xZAOx posted:

First, you need to get "certified" for each crafting profession. Those quests start in the mage guilds I think? They're easy, you just make a thing for each one.

This writeup is fantastic, though I just want to say that the consumable crafting skills (enchanting, alchemy, provisioning) start in the Mages Guild, the equipment (clothier/blacksmithing/woodworking) starts in the fighters' guild, though one quest giver will likely point you to the other when you're done with one set of three.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
You should always start with Provisioning, btw, so you don't have to make an extra trip later to get the recipe from his chest (which is next to his starting location, unless he's moved because you've done other certifications first).

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
Also you can only get certified for jewelry in Alinor, Summerset. And if you've already leveled up jewelry, the guy just goes "oooh I sense an aura... an aura that you're already a trained jeweler... I'll just certify you, no need to make me anything" and it's pretty funny

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Error 404 posted:

In the grim darkness of the future all roles will be played by dps avoiding long-rear end queue times, the only way tanks and healers will get pugs is by queueing as dps...

I mean gently caress, I just "healed" my way through a no death speed run hard mode vet white gold tower.

Yeah with enough dps everyone can use self-heals or shield up to mitigate spike damage but on some fights you just really need someone with like 30k resists and a ton of hp

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday

Error 404 posted:

In the grim darkness of the future all roles will be played by dps avoiding long-rear end queue times, the only way tanks and healers will get pugs is by queueing as dps...r.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

...all I wanted was to spend less than 90 minutes to get some keys. I'm so sorry.

:negative:

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

For crafting writs, I did a big long post with some tips about that before, but one of them that I'd really like to stress again is:

Have one crafting character that puts points in crafting skills, and don't put points in crafting skills on any of your other characters. Just stock up on cheap, plentiful first-tier crafting mats for all your alts to do the dailies for pocket money.

You can send all your alts' crafting survey drops from the dailies to your main crafter to run and stock up when they need to. It's hell being stuck in one of those middle tiers trying to find mats.

It's also worth noting, your main crafting character should not be some unplayed alt who never does anything else, or they'll never get anywhere with it. Ideally it should be your first character to max level... It works best to be deconstructing all your unwanted gear as you level them up, and feeding the mats back into leveling crafting. This is a game where you can kind of do everything on one character, which is nice, and once you've set up your one character who does everything, all of your other characters can be supporting that.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Yeah, for the wearables/enchanting, I can't imagine doing that on more than 1 character.

For provisioning and alchemy though, it's worth doing on all characters. The good news is those are easy to max out just in casual play (and are the only two I've maxed out, heh).

Not that it really affects me, I'm a 1-toon person anyways.

count_von_count
Nov 6, 2012

Provisioning and alchemy also have some useful passives that extend the effects of food/drink/pots, so they're good for non-crafting toons too.

Relevant to craftchat: https://alcasthq.com/eso-fast-gold-farming-build-pve/

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

When I say "don't put points in crafting skills" I'm mainly talking about ranking them up to use higher-tier mats. That does more harm than good unless you're on your main dude. Some of those passives are really good, even in the gear-making skill lines, like it's nice if your alts don't suck at upgrading their own gear...

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

I'm sorry.

I'm so sorry.

(not sorry)

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w
It also appears that the first character is wanted.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Class rep system is a bust, nuke it from space and start all over again.

JadaX
Nov 25, 2008
I mean

I'll still play my stamblade/magblade and maybe login to my other characters once a month or so...working as intended...I think?

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Returning player here. I remember from when I last played that people said it's best to do quests when you're at the level cap because of scaled rewards and to level doing dolmen or public dungeons or whatever. Is this still the case? I don't really care about leveling fast or anything.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I'd say play however you want to play, whatever you think is fun. Dolmen grinding sounds terrible as a way to level.

Endgame is about running specific dungeons for set gear anyways is my understanding. Not to mention there's a billion loving quests in this game. I just recently hit 50 and here's what questing I've done:

-About 80% of the main quest line (got to Coldharbor)
-My starter island and the first two zones for my faction
-I think 1 Fighter's Guild quest and probably 4-5 Mage Guild quests

That leaves 2 complete factions of quests I haven't done, well over half of my faction's quests, all the DLC quests, almost all of FG, still probably like half of MG, plus a ton of just random little quests sprinkled here and there.

Not to mention the skill points you'd miss from not doing any quests. I'm already constantly starved for skill points as it is (going to start just running through some zones picking them up and doing delves).

I'm still running around in my outdated Training gear, not even max level Training gear. For just quests and a daily random dungeon, it's still fine. I wouldn't go into a vet dungeon or trail with this gear though.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

xZAOx posted:

I'd say play however you want to play, whatever you think is fun.

Yes. There is some gear that you can get from quests that's nice to have drop at CP160 (materre's bodkin comes to mind), but mostly I wouldn't worry about it.

quote:

Endgame is about running specific activities for motif drops anyways is my understanding

Fixed.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

JadaX posted:

I mean

I'll still play my stamblade/magblade and maybe login to my other characters once a month or so...working as intended...I think?

If these changes come through LZH needs to come out of retirement and clear a 620k in vMA just as a final "gently caress you" to Wrobel and Garrett.

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Some more questions.

The character I'm returning to is a level 32 Argonian Templar. It looks like I was specced as a Magplar. Is this still "good"? I have no idea why I picked Argonian. It looks like race is important in this game and Argonian isn't one of the recommended races for Templar. He looks cool though.

Is there a general leveling build or do I just follow whatever Alcast says right from the get go? I have a stockpile of 26 skill points because the recommended skills per the build are not unlocked yet. This seems weird to me.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Books On Tape posted:

Some more questions.

The character I'm returning to is a level 32 Argonian Templar. It looks like I was specced as a Magplar. Is this still "good"? I have no idea why I picked Argonian. It looks like race is important in this game and Argonian isn't one of the recommended races for Templar. He looks cool though.

Is there a general leveling build or do I just follow whatever Alcast says right from the get go? I have a stockpile of 26 skill points because the recommended skills per the build are not unlocked yet. This seems weird to me.

Argonian anything is fine, especially if you PVP, play a healer or tank, or have sustain issues and can afford hundreds of potions.

Alcast recommends races based on “BIS” logic, but they’re just optimal recommendations not requirements.

He generally is good at IDing priority skills, but you should take the ones you want while you feel out the class again. You can always respec at any time for a fee, and you get a free respec sometime in your 40s.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Can I get an invite? @Doily

Made a spoopy dunmer so that I could roll Pact and magblade is so much better than stamdk it almost brings tears to my eyes.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Books On Tape posted:

The general consensus on the skill advisor seems to be that it's totally fine, and will help you kill crap while leveling.

Although by the time I got to my 30s, I started getting a feel for my class and made some of my own decisions.

I still stick with "while leveling, just get whatever gear and skills you want - if stuff is dying and you're living, you're doing fine".

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

xZAOx posted:

Although by the time I got to my 30s, I started getting a feel for my class and made some of my own decisions.

Nice life advice

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

:woah:

Chance for a free house:
https://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/54801

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

I can't get past the age gate on either FFX or Chrome. Good job, ESO.

Why the gently caress anyone age gates a site is beyond me. Not even pr0n sites do.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

xZAOx posted:

I can't get past the age gate on either FFX or Chrome. Good job, ESO.

Why the gently caress anyone age gates a site is beyond me. Not even pr0n sites do.

It's about getting the summerset exploration achievement during an event. Characters that already have the achievement will count.

33% of the required people will give a pet
66% gives some mount
100% the villa.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
It's working now, looks like they fixed their bug. Looks like we're at 20% right now.

Also, Summerset digital upgrades are on sale: collector's for $26, regular for $20. I don't own Summerset, but might go ahead and pick it up for $20. Can finally start researching all that jewelry I've banked...

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
I have 17,000 crowns saved up, probably from letting my sub continue after I last stopped playing. What should I spend these on? I already have a decent house and inventory upgrades. Anything I should not spend crowns on because they are also available in game?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Decorations for your villa

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Your should get the merchant and banker NPCs, if you don't already have them. They're so convenient.

There are some neat Crown-exclusive decorations, and if you're into housing you'll inevitably want a few of them, so I'd save some crowns for that.

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
The Warden changes on the PTS are weird in regards to the PvE DPS side of things. They gave them better sustain with a buff to the netch and lowered costs on some skills. They also gave a 1% increase on the Advanced Species passive and the ability to have constant Minor Berserk up with Bird of Prey. All of this is great and would probably put them in line with other higher DPS classes (ie-pretty much every other class) - but then they nerfed the gently caress out of the bear, which will likely result in an overall loss of DPS. :confused:

On the PvP side of things though, all of those buffs will make stamina Wardens even better than they already are since no one runs the loving bear out there anyway.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Beefeater posted:

The Warden changes on the PTS are weird in regards to the PvE DPS side of things. They gave them better sustain with a buff to the netch and lowered costs on some skills. They also gave a 1% increase on the Advanced Species passive and the ability to have constant Minor Berserk up with Bird of Prey. All of this is great and would probably put them in line with other higher DPS classes (ie-pretty much every other class) - but then they nerfed the gently caress out of the bear, which will likely result in an overall loss of DPS. :confused:

On the PvP side of things though, all of those buffs will make stamina Wardens even better than they already are since no one runs the loving bear out there anyway.

No longer feel required to use the bear in PvE, thank god. I love the warden changes, though it seems an insane largess (won't complain). From a personal play standpoint, this is a fantastic patch; all my classes get buffed. I understand why some magicka players are upset, though, and do agree that the damage shield changes are overwhelming and too much.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Is it true that you won't have to put the bear on both bars anymore? If so, I might start using it on my stam warden when I wasn't before (with the Hunt Leader set).

Re: the damage shield nerfing, is this entirely because of Sorcerers double-stacking shields? If so, I don't understand why not only change Ward and leave Annulment alone, instead of punishing all light armor builds for an overpowered thing only one class can do. Or I'd even rather that they make the damage shields smaller or last shorter, since being able to use them immediately in emergency situations is the main reason I even like them.

Also I don't know how viable it would be to simply have skills function differently in PvE areas vs. PvP, since it seems like they're always unbalancing one for the sake of balancing the other.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 19, 2018

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf

Coldforge posted:

No longer feel required to use the bear in PvE, thank god. I love the warden changes, though it seems an insane largess (won't complain). From a personal play standpoint, this is a fantastic patch; all my classes get buffed. I understand why some magicka players are upset, though, and do agree that the damage shield changes are overwhelming and too much.

I love the changes too, and would love to get away from the bear ultimate. But the DPS buffs don't seem like they'll really be enough to offset the damage you get from having it.

Like with the 1% buff to Advanced species. With the bear slotted I have four Animal Companion tree skills on my main bar, and thus currently get an 8% overall damage bonus. With the passive buff it would then become a 12% bonus. Huzzah! However, dropping the bear then puts your bonus to 9%, so really it's a 1% overall damage increase. You're then losing out on way more damage than that by not having the bear around. And even if you did, he's been neutered by a whopping 30%.

I'll have to gently caress around with parses and such, but it all seems a little non-sensical. Minor DPS buffs + major bear nerf = likely worse DPS overall. At least we'll be able to sustain our lousy DPS a little better now. :haw:

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Bear was just there for major slayer slaves and parses tbh, it's not welcome in trials because:
A) nightblades
B) pet mechanics can cause wipes

Beefeater
May 17, 2003

I'm hungry.
Hair Elf
That's fair from a trials standpoint. I don't go on too many HM trials, but I know Sorc's and such also drop their pets for plenty of encounters. I'd always run it in group dungeons and such because nothing else really compared. I guess it just seems odd to worsen the DPS of what is arguably the worst DPS class in the game by nerfing their best damage tool.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

wheres the villa at

artaeum?

zjentohlauedy
Feb 27, 2006

Bad sportsmanship. A ruthless minority of people seem to have forgotten good old-fashioned virtues. They just can't stand seeing the other fellow w
do you need to complete any quests to get to artaeum?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
You can get there by porting to another player, but you would normally get there by completing the first (rather long) quest in the Summerset story. And you can't get the Psijic Order questline until you complete that quest regardless.