Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

Beeswax posted:

loving Bordurian ne'e-do-wells man

edit: this made me hit up wikipedia and Syldavia actually had a nuclear program in the fifties. Who knew!

Probably a smart decision. San Theodoros opted out of nukes, and undue foreign influence (the war on drugs) really did a number on the poor guys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-Id7v6NdRg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Groke posted:

I believe there was some effort towards such a thing right after the Second World War, a missed opportunity if you ask me. Norwegian oil, Swedish industry, Danish... sausages? Whatever. It would have been an economic and political power of some significance, probably have a geopolitical role in the Cold War years sort of like a bigger and stronger Sweden.

There was briefly a joint Norwegian-Swedish nuclear program back in those days, too. Sure it would have born fruit. (Norway was actually the sixth country in the world to get a working fission reactor up and running.)

The only (very, very) minor issue with a Scandinavian union was that Denmark and Norway had experienced how Sweden behaved in terms of crisis and said "gently caress that".
Funny fact:
Until Stalingrad, the Swedish security police arrested more Allied spies and after, they arrested more German spies.

The whole point about a military is to make a military attack costly for the attacker, not necessarily to win the war.
Bringing nukes into discussion is kinda pointless, because obviously we have experienced 70+ years of different military conflicts including peer to peer conflicts with nuclear armed nations without having nukes flying.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

evil_bunnY posted:

That's absolutely not how it works. If the canned sunshine starts flying, anyone nuclear-capable is getting a few counter-force hits just to be sure.

Nah, that's an apocalyptic scenario. I'm talking about the phase before that when the big powers start swallowing up the small players. Like when Russia ate a part of Ukraine

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
There's no good reason why the scandinian countries don't just come together and make a united states of scandinavia

what's the GOD drat holdup! :mad:

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
The EU?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
lol

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

We need to consolidate our culture group for the extra general and absolutism!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
The proposed Scandinavian pact seems pretty anti-nato, what with its ditching of overpriced junky American fighters and all. Seems like a good way of making an enemy of a second super power. Would definitely require nukes.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Spawn more overlords

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
The obstacle, but also opportunity for uniting Scandinavia is Stockholm. It pretty much personifies what Scandinavia hates about Swedes. Everyone who isn't from sthlm hates the place on some level. Basically I think Scandinavia could be built on a anti-Stockholm platform.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I spent :10bux: so that means I can be a cheapskate and post about posting instead of having some wit or spending any more on comedy avs for people. Which I'm also incapable of. Comedy.

Fox Cunning posted:

The obstacle, but also opportunity for uniting Scandinavia is Stockholm. It pretty much personifies what Scandinavia hates about Swedes. Everyone who isn't from sthlm hates the place on some level. Basically I think Scandinavia could be built on a anti-Stockholm platform.

To be fair, most of us born and raised here despise it too.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
Yeah. It's just not a chill place and I can't see the other nations ever accepting it being the centre of power.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Stockholm is bad, but everywhere in Skåne except Malmø is worse and would have to go first. Oh, and Denmark.

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
The time has finally come for Karlskrona to take its place among great cities

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I don't mind Stockholm :shobon:

Some of my favorite bands are from sthlm. Entombed, Dismember, Unleashed, Firespawn, Opeth, LIK, the list goes on. Gotta have that HM-2 and dugga-dugga drums (or wanky prog, in the case of Opeth).

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
City itself is fine. The people and the chronic congestion in both public and private transportation OTOH.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I will tolerate Stockholm in return for access to the better swedish sandwiches, warm lunches and occasional fika.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Cardiac posted:

You poor fool.
Wait until they put you on Högvakten and you get to experience boredom to it’s full extent.

Arrived at 2. Did one test and then they told me I could go to bed or something. Next test is tomorrow morning. Banished in effing Malmö in the middle on nowhere-ville Skåne.

Government Handjob
Nov 1, 2004

Gudbrandsglasnost
College Slice

THE BAR posted:

We need to consolidate our culture group for the extra general and absolutism!

Which national ideas do we go for? Norway has some good naval ideas but I think the colonial/exploration idea we get is sort of useless in modern times, unless we can use it for beating Musk to colonizing Mars.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Fox Cunning posted:

Yeah. It's just not a chill place and I can't see the other nations ever accepting it being the centre of power.
Gothenburg is the obvious choice for a capital. Centrally located, no contentious history, and apparently a traffic nightmare which would benefit from getting a makeover?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Fox Cunning posted:

Then again, that is also the case with Oslo.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Oslo is pretty great. It's much more like Gothenburg than Stockholm.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Fox Cunning posted:

Eh, when I worked in Copenhagen, nobody gave a poo poo about Stockholm.

Copenhagen/Sjalland/Skåne contains more people than Stockholm.
Come to think of it, I have the same distance in time to Central Copenhagen as someone in Bromma has to central Stockholm.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The only place that matters and has ever mattered in Sweden is Stockholm

Stockholm is great

Retarded Goatee
Feb 6, 2010
I dare you to say that at 7:15 , monday morning @ röda linjens platform, T-centralen

also :lol:

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Biomute posted:

Oslo is pretty great. It's much more like Gothenburg than Stockholm.

it is a provincial town with pretensions of metropolis, how well one likes the the place it's directly proportional to one's tolerance of pretentiousness

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

V. Illych L. posted:

it is a provincial town with pretensions of metropolis, how well one likes the the place it's directly proportional to one's tolerance of pretentiousness

So Stockholm?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Groke posted:

a missed opportunity if you ask me. Norwegian oil, Swedish industry, Danish... sausages? Whatever. It would have been an economic and political power of some significance,
LMFAO

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Cardiac posted:

So Stockholm?

idk i haven't been to stockholm since i was eight

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

V. Illych L. posted:

I am nothing if not pretentious.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I've said it before but: Stockholm is an amazing city, completely wasted on its dreadful inhabitants.

Malmö is the inverse, an ugly city full of amazing people.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
70% of stockholmers are unwashed immigrants from the rest of the Sweden.

Taking our jerbs and apartments. :saddowns:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Moderates should really just rename to "the Stockholm Democrats".

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
Speaking of Stockholm apartments, anyone got any tips on finding one? :grin:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Have you tried blood sacrifice?

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
It doesn't work.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

A few years ago there was a wave of Canadians who found one clever trick to get the deposit they needed to loan for housing. They killed their parents for the inheritance.

Seagull Fiasco
Jul 25, 2011

Stockholmers' likeability problem stems from people moving in from the rest of Sweden and then promptly disappearing up their own asses because there's nowhere else to live.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Norrskensren posted:

Stockholmers' likeability problem stems from people moving in from the rest of Sweden and then promptly disappearing up their own asses because there's nowhere else to live.

This may be the best take I've ever heard on this topic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Norrskensren posted:

:hmmyes: