Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Get an internship.

Today the chain rule for multi-variable calculus finally clicked for me. That's great progress for me. Still need to hit up office hours more and take advantage of the learning center they have available. My school has a learning center with free tutors for all the classes that have 200+ enrollees, which is really nice.

so goldman sachs?!?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Anybody on Post 9/11 know how long it takes eBenefits to update chapter 33 status? I got the email from the VA saying that my school rep put in this semester but its not showing up on the enrollment status section of the website. School still hasn't been paid etc.

Viva Miriya posted:

so goldman sachs?!?!?!

Whatever gets you off your rear end in the summer.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I got that email on Friday as well, which is the first time I've gotten an email like that I'm pretty sure. I'm basically in the same boat, doesn't show up on ebenefits or poo poo. The email did mention that poo poo would get processed in the order it was received, so it could be today, could be december. Go VA!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
This semester does seem to be taking longer than previous ones.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
I'm in Discrete Structures and their Algorithms right now and stuff is starting to make sense and I'm not just going cross-eyed looking at the homework, so woo to that. All the advice given in here to go to the office hours is absolutely true, I'm having to struggle around my hours working on campus to make time but every time I go I'm that much better off.

In other news, my OSU application crap has kinda stalled. The grant they gave me is to fill in a gap in tuition coverage, when I apply my NG scholarship it'll disappear off my financial award, which is sad. So now I'm in the process of getting documentation to have my efc adjusted to hopefully get another $1500 of Pell for this semester at this school, and a full $3000 Pell a semester there at OSU starting in the spring. That'll have me at like $2500 out of pocket for the semester to live there and eat, and then I cross my fingers that I get some scholarships that I applied for earlier this year to cover for the remainder years. If not, maybe a ROTC scholarship or something dumb like that?? idk.

Does anyone have experience using the subsidized loans (Stafford)? I'm thinking of taking the $3500 offered there in the Spring and tossing it in a market savings account to accrue interest and give me a little financial buffer in case I need it for an emergency or something. Also I guess if I don't touch it and pay it off it'd be good for my credit too? I just got a deposit card finally because I've been procrastinating on building any credit for 6 years :rip: but taking the loan seems like a no-brainer as long as I don't spend it on something dumb.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Glad i'm not alone in thinking its slower than normal. Its been over three weeks since the VA confirmed they received the info.

Comedy option: The VA doesn't yet have the money to pay out! chaos reigns.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Study abroad over the summer in Amman is the plan.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
gently caress you're telling me it's slow now? I sent for my certification letter like two weeks ago.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

rifles posted:

I'm in Discrete Structures and their Algorithms right now and stuff is starting to make sense and I'm not just going cross-eyed looking at the homework, so woo to that. All the advice given in here to go to the office hours is absolutely true, I'm having to struggle around my hours working on campus to make time but every time I go I'm that much better off.

In other news, my OSU application crap has kinda stalled. The grant they gave me is to fill in a gap in tuition coverage, when I apply my NG scholarship it'll disappear off my financial award, which is sad. So now I'm in the process of getting documentation to have my efc adjusted to hopefully get another $1500 of Pell for this semester at this school, and a full $3000 Pell a semester there at OSU starting in the spring. That'll have me at like $2500 out of pocket for the semester to live there and eat, and then I cross my fingers that I get some scholarships that I applied for earlier this year to cover for the remainder years. If not, maybe a ROTC scholarship or something dumb like that?? idk.

Does anyone have experience using the subsidized loans (Stafford)? I'm thinking of taking the $3500 offered there in the Spring and tossing it in a market savings account to accrue interest and give me a little financial buffer in case I need it for an emergency or something. Also I guess if I don't touch it and pay it off it'd be good for my credit too? I just got a deposit card finally because I've been procrastinating on building any credit for 6 years :rip: but taking the loan seems like a no-brainer as long as I don't spend it on something dumb.
Also in discrete structures this semester, by far my most boring/hated class.

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 18, 2018

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I'm taking on similar I think, Introduction to Discrete Systems. Logic, Sets, and Graph theory and a lot of the underlying math.

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006

Woof Blitzer posted:

gently caress you're telling me it's slow now? I sent for my certification letter like two weeks ago.

Yeah, same. Not even that sweet book money. The EBenefit site has been working like complete poo poo too so I can't even see if I've got a pending payment.

Oh well, back to my horrible paper about the virtues of UX and WAAD.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

rifles posted:

I know I'm probably in the minority here but my opinion is: Are you going to be employed upon graduation? Don't sweat some student loans. There is nothing worse than being broke and worrying about a midterm at the same time. Just be responsible with your borrowing and concentrate on your studies.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I know I'm probably in the minority here but my opinion is: Are you going to be employed upon graduation? Don't sweat some student loans. There is nothing worse than being broke and worrying about a midterm at the same time. Just be responsible with your borrowing and concentrate on your studies.

Maybe?? It's hard to justify when I could continue at my current university and get a BA with easier coursework and actually end up with some decent money in my savings when I'm done. Switching schools is just what I want; my current is like a huge community college, everyone commutes and there's no campus life.

Honestly if I just come home to my parent's every summer and work I could swing it no problem without debt.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I finally got my email saying my school actually sent my classes for certification, so I guess I'll get my money sometime in the next decade. It took a month and a half this time. Though they said they couldn't certify my TX govt class because it isn't on my degree plan. I don't see how it couldn't be on my degree plan considering every school in Texas is required to have a TX govt class. Oh well, it's only 200 bucks. If I can't get it sorted out, it's not like it breaks the bank.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
The contrast between bio101 lab and chem110 lab are insane.

Chem110 our lab group is a prior Navy guy whose pretty good at math and has a calm and level head. Other guy in our group is fresh out of high school but seems to mostly have his poo poo together and contributes positively to the group. Kind of sucks he has an actual disability that leaves him with the handwriting of a 2nd grader on crack. But overall the instructor is nothing if not thorough and the labs go quickly and smoothly.

Bio101 our teacher literally emailed out the class work 20 minutes before class today so tons of people showed up without it and she herself showed up with the wrong scatterplot graph. She also kind of comes across as a bitch through electronic correspondence but isn’t too bad in person. My lab group consists of one guy who has not brought in a single homework assignment and a girl I didn’t know was in our group because she showed up late and left early the first class and then never came back until she showed up late today. She used the phrase “wow you have your poo poo together” when I handed in my homework and pulled out our in class assignment. She also likes to talk directly into my bad ear. gently caress

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

gently caress her, you're paying a boatload so complain. Since college is treated like a business these days I just act like a customer. When poo poo sucks I tell them.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Pretty sure I've used the phrase "Straighten your poo poo out" when talking to professors.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?
So I've used Ch. 33 benefits for ~2 years, and notice the school hasn't been paid so they haven't thrown me my Pell money. I see you fucks talking about checking payment status so I go on eBenefits aaaand...

"If you have eligibility for the Post-9/11 GI Bill and any other GI Bill program you must make an irrevocable election of the Post-9/11 GI Bill before you can receive any benefits. Apply for Chapter 33."

:commissar:

lightpole posted:

Pretty sure I've used the phrase "Straighten your poo poo out" when talking to professors.

Apparently it is uncouth to tell someone to "unfuck themselves".

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

It is amazing how across the board of subjects and departments a lot of professors are unorganized.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
tl;dr VA done hosed up.

Students using GI Bill receive incorrect housing payments due to VA technical errors

Stripes posted:

About 340,000 students attending school using the GI Bill received slightly smaller housing payments in August than they’re eligible for under federal law, according to the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Last year, Congress approved the Forever GI Bill, which included numerous changes to veterans’ education benefits. One change calls for calculating veterans’ housing allowances based on the ZIP codes of the campus where they attend classes, rather than defaulting to the main campuses.

Because of technology problems, the VA failed to meet an Aug. 1 deadline to implement the change. VA officials told lawmakers that it would be done by mid-August, but that deadline came and went, too, without a fix.

When the fall semester started, the VA sent student veterans their housing allowances based on 2017 rates. For about 340,000 students, that means they received payments that didn’t account for cost-of-living increases in 2018. According to the VA, the incorrect housing stipends were an average of 1 percent less than they should have been.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
They didn’t gently caress up. They just made it public that they didn’t pay what they should.

They won’t fix it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I ran the numbers and, sure enough, I got shorted about $50 for my August housing allowance.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

"If you have eligibility for the Post-9/11 GI Bill and any other GI Bill program you must make an irrevocable election of the Post-9/11 GI Bill before you can receive any benefits. Apply for Chapter 33."

At least you have a stated reason why you’re not getting money.

I haven’t gotten anything. School hasn’t gotten anything. Nobody knows why.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
The school got paid but I just keep getting these random paper checks for weird random amounts that don’t match up to like books or anything really. I went to Ebenefits but all it shows are my VA payments and how the school pulled its money, nothing about when and what I should be getting outside VA payments.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I like it when forcecom fucks up my college tuition payment by misspelling my email address.

Not sure why they didn’t just use the “reply” function in outlook since I initially sent them the form requesting payment.

Not sure why they didn’t bother looking at the “failure to send” message that popped up.

I really like when the Chief replying to my follow-up email responds with a bunch misspelled words and can’t be bothered to use spell check.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Lol so my Voc Rehab counselor/certifying official were iffy on paying me for any classes that aren't part of my degree plan this semester. Since it's my final semester I only had 7 credits that were actually necessary, so I added one class that's not required but related to my degree, and 2 credits of bowling so as to meet full time requirements.

Turns out they wound up certifying me as full time to the VA, hah. I half expect the VA to bill me in 5 years for half the tuition/housing stipend this semester.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

DoktorLoken posted:

Lol so my Voc Rehab counselor/certifying official were iffy on paying me for any classes that aren't part of my degree plan this semester. Since it's my final semester I only had 7 credits that were actually necessary, so I added one class that's not required but related to my degree, and 2 credits of bowling so as to meet full time requirements.

Turns out they wound up certifying me as full time to the VA, hah. I half expect the VA to bill me in 5 years for half the tuition/housing stipend this semester.

When you are finishing your degree, you can add classes that aren't on your degree plan to fill up your time.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Voc rehab will pay for an accounting masters right? It is 120 to 128 credits to get a bachelors at most schools I think? The Master’s program is 30 credits everywhere I’ve seen. You need 150 credits to get your CPA license. And it’s not a strict requirement to have it to work in accounting but after a certain point it’s expected and it’s the only way you’ll really be competitive (at least where I work) for promotions after a certain point.

But I have one semester left of GI Bill, and you don’t need a masters to get the CPA. You just need 150 credit hours. I could take 12 credit hours at the local community college and it would qualify as long as I have 24 accounting credits. I have 21 right now.

But I figure if I’m going to do 12 credit hours why not get almost halfway to a Master’s? So I figured I’ll use the GI bill for a semester of undergrad and then use voc rehab for the other 18 credits if I can.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

M_Gargantua posted:

At least you have a stated reason why you’re not getting money.

I haven’t gotten anything. School hasn’t gotten anything. Nobody knows why.

Oh no, this is some "apply for ed benefits (that you've already been using) and elect for Ch33" level bullshit before I can actually see payment activity through eBenefits. Certifying official rubber stamped my poo poo and submitted it a whiiiiile ago, it's just the Byzantine-level VA fuckery in action.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Cenen posted:

The school got paid but I just keep getting these random paper checks for weird random amounts that don’t match up to like books or anything really. I went to Ebenefits but all it shows are my VA payments and how the school pulled its money, nothing about when and what I should be getting outside VA payments.

Are they travel reimbursements?

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

When you are finishing your degree, you can add classes that aren't on your degree plan to fill up your time.

Well, this is definitely true on the GI Bill but the Voc Rehab people and my certifying official didn't seem to think so.

re: Voc Rehab masters, dunno. It seems hit or miss on that, especially if you already have a bachelors + job.

Flying_Crab fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 21, 2018

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

boop the snoot posted:

Voc rehab will pay for an accounting masters right? It is 120 to 128 credits to get a bachelors at most schools I think? The Master’s program is 30 credits everywhere I’ve seen. You need 150 credits to get your CPA license. And it’s not a strict requirement to have it to work in accounting but after a certain point it’s expected and it’s the only way you’ll really be competitive (at least where I work) for promotions after a certain point.

But I have one semester left of GI Bill, and you don’t need a masters to get the CPA. You just need 150 credit hours. I could take 12 credit hours at the local community college and it would qualify as long as I have 24 accounting credits. I have 21 right now.

But I figure if I’m going to do 12 credit hours why not get almost halfway to a Master’s? So I figured I’ll use the GI bill for a semester of undergrad and then use voc rehab for the other 18 credits if I can.

I don't know about voc rehab but from listening in on the accounting majors, get your CPA now. May as well go for a masters along the way for the reasons listed. The CPA is the important paper, the masters is fluff but nice fluff.

Except oh god accounting why!? I spent the whole class doing homework for Design of Experiments, since it conflicted with accounting and the professor let me skip class, and watching rugby on my laptop (very bad idea). The professor was about as awesome as an accounting PhD can get and even then I was bored out of my mind and screaming at spreadsheets. Can't imagine having more than one class in it.

Edit: Take a loan, spend real money if you have to but I wouldn't leave school without the CPA. If you make it halfway through a masters do the other semester and get that as well. It never gets easier to finish anything.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I checked and the VA website says that I've used 3 months, 11 days of my Post 9/11. School still hasn't gotten any money, nor have I. Also, im guessing that the time taken out is for this whole semester? I've only been in class for 3 weeks.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Accounting is cool and fun :colbert:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

A Bad Poster posted:

I checked and the VA website says that I've used 3 months, 11 days of my Post 9/11. School still hasn't gotten any money, nor have I. Also, im guessing that the time taken out is for this whole semester? I've only been in class for 3 weeks.

Yup, they do the calcs for the semester at the beginning and take it all out at once.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

Are they travel reimbursements?

Nah I got all my travel reimbursements from the company they contract the scheduling and Drs from forever ago and those were all for like $15-$25. I’ve just started to get random paper checks from the U.S treasury like one last week and one this week for like $340ish and $666.67. The bottom of the check says “VA CH33 Post 9/11 GI Bill Returned Payment”

Do they not pay the BAH all at once or something? Either way it’s still way shorter than it should be and I’ve been in school since late August and all my stuff got certified before that.

Cenen fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 21, 2018

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Well the money you get is prorated for partial months. I'm not sure what those checks are, but you won't get the full amount for August.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
You also won't get paid for the 31st, so don't count it when calculating how much your prorated amount is supposed to be.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
The book stipend is also weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

UP THE BUM NO BABY posted:

The book stipend is also weird
It's something like $41.66 per credit, payable at the start of the semester up to $1000 per year