Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Evilreaver posted:

The sooner we define a Meter as "exactly 1/300,000,000th the distance light travels in a second" the better we well be as a people
OK now define a second.

Also justify choosing a number that's only meaningful in base 10, the scrubbiest of bases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Splicer posted:

OK now define a second.

Also justify choosing a number that's only meaningful in base 10, the scrubbiest of bases.

it's the amount of time it takes a photon to travel 1 lightsecond in a vacuum, duh

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Splicer posted:

OK now define a second.

1/60th of a minute

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Splicer posted:

OK now define a second.

Second is defined by the frequency of a cesium emission band. We could probably round that poo poo though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Splicer posted:

OK now define a second.

A second is currently defined by 9,192,631,770 cycles of a cesium-133 atom. Just round that up to 10 billion.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Nuclearmonkee posted:

LOTO is important and I don't understand people who go into these kind of situations without locking poo poo out.

We had a dude die a couple months ago by climbing into a press to do some maintenance during a scheduled shutdown without turning the drat thing off much less locking it out. He got turned into human paste when he got a bit too close to the wrong photo eye and the machine decided he was ready to be pressed. Broke every safety rule and killed himself to try and save 5 minutes.

jesus thats horrible.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Work decided a while back we had too many near misses so they showed the supervisors and engineers a bunch of videos of people dying in big machines. I didn't react much because I think I've seen all of them here first.

Note they didn't decide to show the actual workers who are nearly killing themselves, for no good reason.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Cojawfee posted:

A second is currently defined by 9,192,631,770 cycles of a cesium-133 atom. Just round that up to 10 billion.

Getting all of our scientific constants in round base-10 numbers is Requirement #1 for becoming a Type 2 civilization on the Kardashev scale

bonus: this axiom also solves the Fermi Paradox

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From the "What did they think was going to happen?" files.

https://i.imgur.com/ah0IGOp.mp4

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Cythereal posted:

I mean, there are obviously a lot of ways that idea could go wrong but to be honest I'd never have predicted "the guy behind the thing ends up with his pants on fire".

I'd have expected something more like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo6JP9DdI4w

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
:black101:https://i.imgur.com/yYOSGwP.gifv:black101:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Personally, I think it's great that the newest Ghost Rider is autistic

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

chitoryu12 posted:

You’d be surprised and terrified by how many crane operators (especially outside the United States) don’t really know the exact weight of what they’re lifting or how to not tip the crane.

We had some students recently who were old, experienced operators who had never once seen a load chart in their lives. And we had someone complain about how he thought anyone with over 10 years’ experience should be grandfathered into certification because it’s just so inconvenient that he’s failed the tests 3 times and he knows better!

Don't worry, this same poo poo happens in health care. The American Registry of Radiologic Technologists has started doing a halfassed Maintenance of Certification test for all certifications after 2011. We have to take an 'ungraded' board exam on areas that we least encounter in our day to day practice every 10 years. The problem is that they grandfathered all techs that got their certifications before 2011, so they don't have do it. These are the people that are most likely to be uneducated in a lot of areas of current practice standards. They're the ones that learned how to do xrays in a hospital basement from a nun 30 years ago. People that only ever had formal training on emulsion film (something that was effectively replaced universally with computed/digital radiography in the 00's). People that don't know what a pixel is and pretty much just survive on rote memorization from what buttons the applications person told them to push. You know, the people that clearly don't need to prove they are up to date on current practice standards because they have ~experience~. It is incredibly frustrating trying to interact with some coworkers in MRI because they learned how to do it in 1993 and that's how we've always done it so no we're not changing anything. I guess there will always be a place for button pushers.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Cythereal posted:

He shouldn't have lied.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Next stop, Hill Valley 1985!

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

What's going on there?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

tactlessbastard posted:

What's going on there?

Helltrain.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

tactlessbastard posted:

What's going on there?

Turbocharger blew up.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

tactlessbastard posted:

What's going on there?

The red log, THE RED LOG!!

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Why didn't they just write a letter to their future selves to drop off a new fuel line for the delorean or whatever the gently caress marty broke.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Cythereal posted:

Gotta admit, I prefer the traditional polygraph test to reveal who's lying.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Nenonen posted:

Gotta admit, I prefer the traditional polygraph test to reveal who's lying.

All fire is truth fire.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Eye pro? Nah, I'm good, I'll just close my eyes.

Netflix's Car Masters

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

It's always funny to watch the building stuff shows and to be able to spot the hastily issued, never used eye and ear protection that people put on when they realize they're on camera or have a producer issue them.

At least those guys aren't faking it like everyone else does.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Evilreaver posted:

The sooner we define a Meter as "exactly 1/300,000,000th the distance light travels in a second" the better we well be as a people

This but unironically.

Also, have current be defined in the same direction as election movement.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Also, have current be defined in the same direction as election movement.

That is a bit more conservative than I am comfortable with at the moment.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The metre ought to be one ten‐millionth of the distance between the equator and the North Pole along the meridian passing through Paris, at sea level.

That was the original intention. The platinum–iridium artefact is off by one part in five thousand (or eight kilometres over the circumference of the Earth).

Even that small difference was too much to ignore after the error was discovered. It would have ruined too many measurements referenced to the marks on the rod that are slightly too close together.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Hey you know how we don't have computers and we can barely make two screws that can fit in the same hole? Let's make physical representations of standards to base everything on.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That sounds great. Let’s also make it so that they degrade every time a person handles them or exposes them to air.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/emorwee/status/1041739458335387648

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
No source, but you just know it's Russia.

https://i.imgur.com/vDlynmx.mp4

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Say Nothing posted:

No source, but you just know it's Russia.

https://i.imgur.com/vDlynmx.mp4

The only difference between this and probably 90% of all silo demolition videos on youtube is that he isn't wailing on it with a sledgehammer.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

here we see "russian tree surgeon" at work

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Platystemon posted:

The metre ought to be one ten‐millionth of the distance between the equator and the North Pole along the meridian passing through Paris, at sea level.

That was the original intention. The platinum–iridium artefact is off by one part in five thousand (or eight kilometres over the circumference of the Earth).

Even that small difference was too much to ignore after the error was discovered. It would have ruined too many measurements referenced to the marks on the rod that are slightly too close together.

Seriously? 0.2 mm sounds absolutely massive for a standard to be off by, how did they screw the pooch so badly?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

CommunityEdition posted:

Seriously? 0.2 mm sounds absolutely massive for a standard to be off by, how did they screw the pooch so badly?

It was 1796 and they hadn't actually taken a boat far enough north to know for sure how long the Paris meridian really was yet. By the time said boat came back the "meter of the archives" had too much institutional inertia to bother changing.

ok actually they mostly spent 6 months measuring a 10 mile stretch of road in Spain with a set of platinum yard sticks and taking measurements on a fancy new surveying device calibrated in a brand new decimal system of angle measurement because EVERYTHING was going to be decimalized.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 18, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CommunityEdition posted:

The surveyors’ measurements were good but their understanding of the Earth’s shape was imperfect.

More importantly, the politicians didn’t wait for the surveyors to finish. They just started using the provisional metre.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

if it was done by the french, who ever "did" it was jerking himself off while someone who can't read actually carried out the measurements and reported to a separate, semi-literate underling.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dis astranagant posted:

ok actually they mostly spent 6 months measuring a 10 mile stretch of road in Spain with a set of platinum yard sticks and taking measurements on a fancy new surveying device calibrated in a brand new decimal system of angle measurement because EVERYTHING was going to be decimalized.

I like how they were going to base the definition on the length of a pendulum with a half‐period of one second but then someone took a boat to South America noticed that Earth’s pull was feebler there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I hope the rock came back.