Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

People had no pity for me when I was ticketed for running a red light in an empty intersection on a bicycle and I'm supposed to donate money because he's driving a car at 45 miles an hour in a school zone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

It's very obvious that the directors watched a poo poo ton of John Woo growing up.

According to the director (via Wikipedia, of course), the main influences on the first John Wick were The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (great), Point Blank (great), The Killer (great) and Le Cercle Rouge (the one I haven't seen).

I think there's a lot of The Killer in Wick in particular.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

According to the director (via Wikipedia, of course), the main influences on the first John Wick were The Good, the Bad and the Ugly (great), Point Blank (great), The Killer (great) and Le Cercle Rouge (the one I haven't seen).

I think there's a lot of The Killer in Wick in particular.

You should watch the last one.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS

Skwirl posted:

People had no pity for me when I was ticketed for running a red light in an empty intersection on a bicycle and I'm supposed to donate money because she's driving a car at 45 miles an hour in a school zone?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Gorman Thomas posted:

I ate some edibles on Saturday night and it turned Valerian into a good movie?

It did not, however, turn Battle of Sevastopol into a good movie (despite an unexpected appearance by Woodie Guthrie!!). It's a film in which the message of the first hour is "woman killing fascists is good" and the message of the second hour is "but she needs to be fixed by some good dick". Still has a funny montage of Nazi killing set to Guthrie's Miss Pavlichenko.

Valerian was always good, also what the hell is this other thing?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Samuel Clemens posted:

Did we ever have a thread on the Dekalog? I'd love to read people's thoughts on some of the episodes.

I thought it was funny that the edgelord punk band frontrunner becomes a stamp collector

Gorman Thomas
Jul 24, 2007

K. Waste posted:

Valerian was always good, also what the hell is this other thing?

The aforementioned Battle for Sevastopol is on Prime video. It's a low budget Ukranian biopic of Lady Death (Soviet sniper with 300+ confirmed kills) and features some of the worst ADR I've seen in my life.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Didn't Dickeye change their pronouns again? They're going by Jeff again on Twitter, not trying to gossip just wanna make sure I know where they're at.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

TrixRabbi posted:

Didn't Dickeye change their pronouns again? They're going by Jeff again on Twitter, not trying to gossip just wanna make sure I know where they're at.

Is Dickeye's twitter still suspended?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

gently caress, I forgot what dickeye's legal name was. There's a bunch of you I know your real names but can't connect to the username, I thought it was Vargo or you or some poo poo. In retrospect I should have guessed that the person driving 45 in a school zone would be Dickeye.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 17, 2018

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TrixRabbi posted:

Because I heard people are talking about my pronouns, I'm kind of going by whatever, I went back to my birth name for a minute while I figure poo poo out but pronoun wise just do whatever

Don't call me shirley

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I'm surprised transploitation isn't a thing but maybe trumpsloitation delayed its normalization for another decade

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
If The Assignment isn't transploitation I don't know what is.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I’m crossposting but I’m finally getting around to learning TinkerCad so I can get some use out of my library’s 3D printer

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I was watching that Mary Poppins 2 trailer earlier. Got me thinking, is Julie Andrews winning an Oscar for that the only time someone's won one of the main acting Oscars for a film aimed (at least as far as I'm aware) primarily at children?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

I was watching that Mary Poppins 2 trailer earlier. Got me thinking, is Julie Andrews winning an Oscar for that the only time someone's won one of the main acting Oscars for a film aimed (at least as far as I'm aware) primarily at children?

James Cromwell won best supporting actor for Babe.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Coffee And Pie posted:

I’m crossposting but I’m finally getting around to learning TinkerCad so I can get some use out of my library’s 3D printer

WHere do you live so I can kill you and take your library card

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

It's a library, you just need to move there to get a card.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Alan Smithee posted:

Come get some :black101:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

axelblaze posted:

James Cromwell won best supporting actor for Babe.

He was only nominated - he lost to Kevin Spacey in The Usual Suspects.

Ron Moody and Jack Wild were nominated for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor respectively for Oliver! but neither won (Wild was the favourite to win and Jack Albertson reportedly apologised for beating him :v:).

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Because I heard people are talking about my pronouns, I'm kind of going by whatever, I went back to my birth name for a minute while I figure poo poo out but pronoun wise just do whatever

Don't call me shirley

Chill :dukedog:

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

Coffee And Pie posted:

Please film the process of you 3-D printing this tiny axe identically to the scene of Nic Cage forging the big axe TIA

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
This discussion of exploitation subgenres is all so arbitrary and ill-defined that it makes the whole thing meaningless.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Don't call me shirley

That's good to hear, I would never misgender on purpose, but seriously 45 in a school zone?

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Skwirl posted:

That's good to hear, I would never misgender on purpose, but seriously 45 in a school zone?

Settle down on the gas dickeye

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvV3nn_de2k

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

Just moved here right as the school year ended, plus having a mild anxiety attack over being awake meant I a) forgot there was even a school zone there and b) was zoned the gently caress out

Today was a real one for your friend Dickeye

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm surprised transploitation isn't a thing but maybe trumpsloitation delayed its normalization for another decade

Glen or Glenda, Myra Breckenridge, Dressed to Kill, Sleepaway Camp, Let Me Die a Woman

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Just moved here right as the school year ended, plus having a mild anxiety attack over being awake meant I a) forgot there was even a school zone there and b) was zoned the gently caress out

Today was a real one for your friend Dickeye

1) There's giant yellow signs
2) I got raked over the coals in this thread for a traffic violation committed on a bicycle

I'm sorry about your anxiety attack, but maybe you shouldn't drive while having an anxiety attack.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Skwirl posted:

1) There's giant yellow signs
2) I got raked over the coals in this thread for a traffic violation committed on a bicycle

I'm sorry about your anxiety attack, but maybe you shouldn't drive while having an anxiety attack.

Yeah I'll take that under advisement right next to grabbing my bootstraps

I'm not forcing anyone to help. If you can give cash, cool (thank you to the people who have!) If you can't, maybe retweet it, and if you can't do that, that's cool too

I know what I did was wrong, that doesn't make a six hundred dollar ticket less onerous on minimum wage

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Unless you're going to argue that maybe the ticket will make me think twice next time, in which case let's all lol at the idea that retributive punishment works for poo poo

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's not my fault I ran over that family, I was drunk!

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lurdiak posted:

It's not my fault I ran over that family, I was drunk!

Yeah that is exactly what I said, get leukemia

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

TrixRabbi posted:

Incredibly Strange Creatures... is fascinating and oddly beautiful at certain moments (iirc there's a dream sequence that feels ripped from Kenneth Anger, but it's been awhile since I've seen it).

Anyway, I'll take it to the Mandy thread but I saw it as a midnight Saturday and drat, y'all weren't kidding. There's times where it gets a bit too Heavy Metal (the movie/mag I mean) but drat if it isn't the perfect thing to see on the big screen when you're half-asleep delirious.

Even when it was on MST3K I noticed that Incredibly Strange Creatures was fairly well shot (it’s the kind of movie for which everything being adequately lit is an accomplishment) and I found out that’s because Vilmos Zsigmond photographed it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Looking at the guest list on Norm Macdonald's Netflix show it's loving insane that David Spade is the first one.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

feedmyleg posted:

If The Assignment isn't transploitation I don't know what is.

It’s an odd duck because there are no transgender or transvestite characters in it. It’s about a character who is “punished” for his transgressions by being turned into a woman, with the point being that being a woman doesn’t make you any less than a man. Anything a man can do a woman can do, etc.

If it has an exploitative category it’s more generally a “girl power”/badass chick one. The point is not that Rodriguez is playing a trans woman, but that she plays both a man and a woman, and the film treats this as a construct that oppresses the spirit.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It helps that there is a market of old racist fucks who want to watch a movie about a grizzled badass white man go kill foreigners who want to sexually abuse and rape innocent, sometimes virginal good white women. Taken taps into that market like Clint Eastwood taps into the racist grandpa market about foreign people assaulting them and stealing from them. Oooga Booga old white man the world is changing and you’re a relic but oh no your gun and thirst for vigilante justice to regain power is too much for us.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Skwirl posted:

Looking at the guest list on Norm Macdonald's Netflix show it's loving insane that David Spade is the first one.

Agreed, artie Lange deserves some respect

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

People rarely agree with me but I still think Taken is a satire that flew way over most people's heads. It's a movie written by a French guy starring an Irish guy about an American stomping his way through another country consequence free to stop his white virgin daughter from being sold into sex slavery to an Arab Sheik that's straight out of Looney Tunes. It's incredibly over the top and not at all subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Coffee And Pie posted:

Come get some :black101:

Seriously though where do you life that the public library has a machine for dudes to print dicks

Skwirl posted:

It's a library, you just need to move there to get a card.

I still to kill for proof of address

• Locked thread