Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
You guys sure as gently caress weren't lying about the good place

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

tweet my meat posted:

You guys sure as fork weren't lying about the good place

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

I watched Willow Creek yesterday and while I really wanted to like it, I came away just feeling like I watched a rehashing of most found-footage films up to this point. I like Bobcat and I know that he is a very aware filmmaker, so I guess I can appreciate what he tried to do with the FF tropes here; I just think he could have done a little more to push it over the line into memorable territory. As it is, I feel like I wasted an albeit brief 1h20m on something ambitious but ultimately derivative.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Norm Macdonald has a show, is a show, and it's pretty good. Alot like his podcast but condensed and has some pretty good guests.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Fargin Icehole posted:

Norm Macdonald has a show, is a show, and it's pretty good. Alot like his podcast but condensed and has some pretty good guests.

Don't share this opinion in GBS.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Iron fist s2 seems a lot better than the first, admittedly not a high bar to clear

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER
So I've never seen Iron Fist season one but am a fan of the character. Should I just skip that first season since it's universally panned as being the worst Marvel show and go straight to season 2?

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Mammal Sauce posted:

Don't share this opinion in GBS.

Why share any opinion in GBS

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

So I've never seen Iron Fist season one but am a fan of the character. Should I just skip that first season since it's universally panned as being the worst Marvel show and go straight to season 2?

Can confirm that this works with Daredevil.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Weavered posted:

Can confirm that this works with Daredevil.

Daredevil S1 was better than S2, though.

Well, maybe not as good as the first four episodes of S2 but better as a whole for sure.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I enjoyed The Innocents on Netflix, a good drama with a dose of superpowers. There was a sequence near the end that really creeped me out too even though it's far from horror. Netflix was really annoying though, they sent me an email that I guess was supposed to coincide with having watched a certain episode. Then they sent another email asking me if I had recommended the series to anyone. Like, come the gently caress on. Just let me watch my poo poo on peace, that's how you get me to block emails from Netflix.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tagichatn posted:

I enjoyed The Innocents on Netflix, a good drama with a dose of superpowers. There was a sequence near the end that really creeped me out too even though it's far from horror. Netflix was really annoying though, they sent me an email that I guess was supposed to coincide with having watched a certain episode. Then they sent another email asking me if I had recommended the series to anyone. Like, come the gently caress on. Just let me watch my poo poo on peace, that's how you get me to block emails from Netflix.

Netflix really should just led Cole Sprouse handle all their marketing, not just their Instagram.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

AllNewJonasSalk posted:

yolo

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I had no interest in The Good Place until I was spoiled on what the twist was. Then I had to watch it and I love it.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I had no interest in The Good Place until I was spoiled on what the twist was. Then I had to watch it and I love it.

I'm sorry you couldn't discover that organically as the Lord intended. It was a moment that really blows your mind.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Legitimately my favorite moment of TV last year. For all the poo poo that 2017 was, the final episode of The Good Place S1 was a beacon of light.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
What? How did everyone not see the twist coming from like two episodes in?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Because they weren't looking for a twist or thought it would go in a different direction, just like every other twist.

AllNewJonasSalk
Apr 22, 2017

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If you see the twist then it just becomes a gentle curve.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I find it more fun to just accept the ride and not constantly try and spoil it for yourself by guessing but to each their own.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
There wasn't any guessing. It was shouted at you in all caps. It's an ok show if a lot vanilla, a really 'heh' fest. I love how Blake Bortles is a legit QB irl now tho

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

If you enjoyed No Exit, then The Good Place is a pleasant stroll down memory lane with some SERIOUSLY rose-tinted glasses.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The twist was a rip-off of one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes but ripping off old Twilight Zone eps is a time honored cultural tradition.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The twist was a rip-off of one of my favorite Twilight Zone episodes but ripping off old Twilight Zone eps is a time honored cultural tradition.
That one got milk? ad is probably the most succinct version of it (unless there's a vine I haven't seen before)

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

InterrupterJones posted:

My father-in-law recommended Future Man which I felt indifferent about upon seeing the preview for it. I have to admit...it's not perfect, but it's surprisingly funny.

I'm super late to respond to this but you have to be over 40 to really appreciate it.

Saddens me given your response I could be your dad.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Colostomy Bag posted:

I'm super late to respond to this but you have to be over 40 to really appreciate it.

Saddens me given your response I could be your dad.

Really? I don't know if grandparents would get all the video game references.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Watched Chained directed by David Lynch’s daughter on Shudder. Really weird and miserable movie to watch, but oddly interesting with one of the dumber twists I’ve seen in a while at the end.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Tagichatn posted:

Really? I don't know if grandparents would get all the video game references.

I think it's more the sweet age to "get" Goldberg's is probably 38-43.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
I wish people would stop mentioning the "twist" in the Good Place. Given what the show is about, there is really only one thing the twist *could* be. It's so obvious that saying there is a twist is basically a spoiler in itself. So starting from episode 1 I knew what the reveal would be, and when it happened it was an "ok, moving on" moment. Maybe if I didn't know there was a twist coming it would have been more powerful or at least somewhat surprising. Other than that it is a pretty enjoyable show, if vanilla. Kristen Bell is a gem.

martinlutherbling fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 18, 2018

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I don’t know how it could surprise you, I watched one episode and the characters are all obvious pieces of poo poo

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

DeimosRising posted:

I don’t know how it could surprise you, I watched one episode and the characters are all obvious pieces of poo poo

It was obvious to you because you are the smartest man ever made. Take pity on us dumbkoppfs.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

DeimosRising posted:

Figured it out all on my own after one episode, imbeciles. All it takes is a careful reading of the text and a hundred people in my ear screaming, "There's a twist!"

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

martinlutherbling posted:

I wish people would stop mentioning the "twist" in the Good Place. Given what the show is about, there is really only one thing the twist *could* be. It's so obvious that saying there is a twist is basically a spoiler in itself. So starting from episode 1 I knew what the reveal would be, and when it happened it was an "ok, moving on" moment. Maybe if I didn't know there was a twist coming it would have been more powerful or at least somewhat surprising. Other than that it is a pretty enjoyable show, if vanilla. Kristen Bell is a gem.

I think that's over-the-top spoilerphobic. Talk of a big twist in the finale is what got me curious enough to watch the show in the first place.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
the biggest spoiler poo poo in comedies is just watching almost any of them with subtitles on. see also: horror movies

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

DeimosRising posted:

I mean...it's the title of the show, lol.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

regulargonzalez posted:

It was obvious to you because you are the smartest man ever made. Take pity on us dumbkoppfs.

Thou hast said

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I mean...it's the title of the show, lol.

Right? I could give a poo poo about “twists” but it’s the premise of the show that Heaven sucks rear end and is a living hell

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I don't know if it directly refers to The Twilight Zone episode, but that should tell you how hoary and obvious the twist is. I don't even think they're that cute about it, though the show is pretty clever.

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010

Parachute posted:

the biggest spoiler poo poo in comedies is just watching almost any of them with subtitles on. see also: horror movies

Agreed. My GF needs subtitles on and it constantly ruins comic timing and suspenseful moments.

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I had no interest in The Good Place until I was spoiled on what the twist was.

Me too. At the time I was disappointed it didn't have more teeth. Then came the excellent Trolley episode in season 2.

How did Ted Danson stay so awesome?

Also, all this time I thought Kristen Bell was Kristen Chenowith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Also, all this time I thought Kristen Bell was Kristen Chenowith.

Only a 14 year age difference. :D