Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

VitalSigns posted:

Yes there is: markets don't work if people don't have money to spend.

There's also uh "no reason" to assume something will happen for no reason.

Pointing out a false dilemma is not sidelining the human dignity side of the equation.

this is kind of a dumb hill to die on considering we are all in agreement that minimum wage is good and should be increased

lets agree that the explanations used in basic econ texts is, at best, vastly oversimplified. and unlike the simplifications used in intro physics or engineering texts, people use these to justify real policy preferences. it's lovely and a decent econ phD writing that kind of text should include plenty of caveats and discussion surrounding it.

anyway my real point is just that "workers should be guaranteed a fair wage" is in sync with a philosophy of robust safety nets and social programs. whereas technical arguments about economic models are easily corrupted by right-wing hacks. is the average person going to dig into the merits of "raising minimum wage doesn't change unemployment" vs. "tax cuts grow the economy and pay for themselves" ?

Dixie Cretin Seaman has issued a correction as of 21:47 on Sep 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

this is kind of a dumb hill to die on considering we are all in agreement that minimum wage is good and should be increased

lets agree that the explanations used in basic econ texts is, at best, vastly oversimplified. and unlike the simplifications used in intro physics or engineering texts, people use these to justify real policy preferences. it's lovely and a decent econ phD writing that kind of text should include plenty of caveats and discussion surrounding it.

anyway my real point is just that "workers should be guaranteed a fair wage" is in sync with a philosophy of robust safety nets and social programs. whereas technical arguments about economic models are easily corrupted by right-wing hacks. is the average person going to dig into the merits of "raising minimum wage doesn't change unemployment" vs. "tax cuts grow the economy and pay for themselves" ?

On The Governance of China is the only economic text that anyone will remember in a hundred years hth

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Dreddout posted:

The Art of the Deal is the only economic text that anyone will remember in a hundred years hth

cnut
May 3, 2016

VitalSigns posted:

This has to be a joke. He voted for what he thought would crash the economy in hopes of making a buck?

:owned:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

VitalSigns posted:

This has to be a joke. He voted for what he thought would crash the economy in hopes of making a buck?

Perhaps he saw The Big Short and thought he could get rich that way too.

gently caress you, (I hopefully will have) got mine.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Good soup! posted:

"I lost my rear end," the rallying cry of owned chuds

"mr. president, I'm so stupid I couldn't find my rear end with my own two hands. please mr. president, help me find my rear end."

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
Mr. President help I found my rear end but it's filled with dirt and insect larvae!
Update: Sorry that was a False Alarm, it was actually just a hole in the ground
Update2: Mr. President help I had it right the first time

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

they sent their captured enemy soldiers back in time to live under trump
war. war never changes

Cable needs to stop loving with our timeline. Sorry your family is dead, but don't send your chud POWs here. We've got too many as it is.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I get believing Trump would wreck the economy and shorting the market after he won because you're too stupid or something to know what a horrible idea shorting anything is unless you have huge financial reserves to maintain the short if when you don't call the top of the bubble exactly right.

But voting for a president so horrible he crashes everything in the first week as an investment strategy? Even if you're right he would have to be insanely incomprehensibly bad to crash the economy that fast! He would have to do something so insane that it would probably wreck the solvency of the stock exchanges or the value of the dollar itself and you'd never benefit: "I'm reneging on the national debt" "I'm nuking N Korea and the Middle East"

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Mr. President help I found my rear end but it's filled with dirt and insect larvae!
Update: Sorry that was a False Alarm, it was actually just a hole in the ground
Update2: Mr. President help I had it right the first time

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

VitalSigns posted:

I get believing Trump would wreck the economy and shorting the market after he won because you're too stupid or something to know what a horrible idea shorting anything is unless you have huge financial reserves to maintain the short if when you don't call the top of the bubble exactly right.

But voting for a president so horrible he crashes everything in the first week as an investment strategy? Even if you're right he would have to be insanely incomprehensibly bad to crash the economy that fast! He would have to do something so insane that it would probably wreck the solvency of the stock exchanges or the value of the dollar itself and you'd never benefit: "I'm reneging on the national debt" "I'm nuking N Korea and the Middle East"

The funny thing is that the market did drop by a fair amount after Trump got elected, but evidently the guy expected it to go further and didn’t sell in time. Another lovely investor bites the dust

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

JFC

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Avirosb posted:

Man, it would really suck to die under Trump and miss out on all the crazy.

Don't think of it as dying. Think of it as leaving early to avoid the rush.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Kit Walker posted:

The funny thing is that the market did drop by a fair amount after Trump got elected

???

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the stock market went down in overnight trading as soon as he won then went up bigly in the next day during the actual day when people remembered republicans having complete control of the government would be good for rich people

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Shear Modulus posted:

the stock market went down in overnight trading as soon as he won then went up bigly in the next day during the actual day when people remembered republicans having complete control of the government would be good for rich people

Okay now that I remember, futures taking a dive in the middle of the night but then turning around and shooting up after Trump's acceptance speech wasn't plagiarized from Sideshow Bob's.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i think people were actually worried for a bit that hillary wouldnt concede and that the democrats were serious that trump couldnt be allowed to be president

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Hillary trying to rule the country from Brooklyn as America's first antipresident would have been pretty rad.

Both of them trying to take credit for bombing Syria, etc.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

VitalSigns posted:

Hillary trying to rule the country from Brooklyn as America's first antipresident would have been pretty rad.

Both of them trying to take credit for bombing Syria, etc.

Oh man, two different foreign powers propping up their own president would've been medieval as gently caress

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

https://twitter.com/MichelleDay99/status/1042255772284059648

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

ikanreed posted:

Oh man, two different foreign powers propping up their own president would've been medieval as gently caress

A few of the Federalists would finally get their wish of having the nations capital in New York.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/MichelleDay99/status/887427964870242304

https://twitter.com/MichelleDay99/status/858182774796292096

Suspect, but always a statistical possibility this is a real person

cnut
May 3, 2016

Die, Trump voters, die.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
did she write on her screen? wtf

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

got any sevens posted:

did she write on her screen? wtf

no its a mailer she was sent asking for money.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

cnut posted:

Die, Trump voters, die.

in general i think this is wrong but for trump voters i can’t bring myself to disagree

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

cnut posted:

Die, Trump voters, die.

:agreed: but only if they document their misery on the internet somewhere so I can jerk off to it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

old beast lunatic posted:

:agreed: but only if they document their misery on the internet somewhere so I can jerk off to it.

It's called Twitter

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Iron Crowned posted:

It's called Twitter

https://twitter.com/BeckyScaff/status/1042791966063452163

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

man

sometimes I almost feel like these things are human

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

zegermans posted:

man

sometimes I almost feel like these things are human

Don't worry he's getting exactly what he wants, to give his life for his president

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
https://twitter.com/vicenews/status/1042797832611291136

steel chud @ 3:40 wants trump to get him a raise

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
well dude you're gonna be disappointed

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

income: rounds down to $0 from a rich person perspective

offenses: 1) couldn't be bothered to ask self whether rear end in a top hat billionarie prez would side with the little guy or with the rear end in a top hat billionaire CEO 2) voted for rear end in a top hat billionaire prez

punishment: death by guillotine

cnut
May 3, 2016

:psyboom:

cnut
May 3, 2016

suck my woke dick posted:

punishment: death by guillotine

:hmmyes:

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
You guys know the saying. "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink, you've gotta guillotine those ones."

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
Hoagie Chain Taylor Gourmet Will Close All of Its Stores

However, three people familiar with the company say sales began to decline after owner Patten met with President Donald Trump at a small business roundtable at the White House in January 2017. Facing backlash and calls for boycotts, Patten told the Washington Post that he’s apolitical when it comes to business and pointed out he also participated in a roundtable discussion with President Barack Obama in 2012. The restaurant posted a “Less Politics, More Hoagies” sign at its Chinatown shop.

“Our sales dropped 40 percent the next day,” says one source who spoke on the condition of anonymity. “And it persisted and never really got any better.”

Lunchabully
Jul 20, 2003
Pillbug

man this guy must really hate the browns

the cleveland browns, I mean. since he lives in PA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Hoagie Chain Taylor Gourmet Will Close All of Its Stores

However, three people familiar with the company say sales began to decline after owner Patten met with President Donald Trump at a small business roundtable at the White House in January 2017. Facing backlash and calls for boycotts, Patten told the Washington Post that he’s apolitical when it comes to business and pointed out he also participated in a roundtable discussion with President Barack Obama in 2012. The restaurant posted a “Less Politics, More Hoagies” sign at its Chinatown shop.

“Our sales dropped 40 percent the next day,” says one source who spoke on the condition of anonymity. “And it persisted and never really got any better.”

poo poo gently caress

There goes like my only decent grab and go salad option near my work

Why do all of the sub shops near my work diiie

For real that chain way overextended itself though. Amazing that it happened the same month Mike Isabella's whole food group went under too. DC has this huge new mixed use development called the Wharf that opened up in SW DC, it's all luxury apartments, expensive restaurants and nowhere to park. Figure half the restaurants will be closed in 18 months. Yep, there's a Taylor Gourmet and a Mike Isabella joint down there.