Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism
Refuse, for whatever good that'll do. Interacting with Touga at all is where you've hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Dance Officer posted:

It's a compliment, not an invitation to sex. Geez.

You are not familiar with Touga

Reject

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

accept

what's the worst that could happen?

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I've only read the first couple updates, but it got me to start watching the show, and I just wanted to express my gratitude because this queer-rear end show is fuckin amazing what the hell

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Blue Labrador posted:

I've only read the first couple updates, but it got me to start watching the show, and I just wanted to express my gratitude because this queer-rear end show is fuckin amazing what the hell

This is exactly what I want to hear. I am so glad that other people get to experience this fantastic show.

How far in are you?

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Blue Labrador posted:

Do me a favor and read absolutely nothing in spoiler text until you're done.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Then watch the movie. And the musical.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Blue Labrador posted:

:allears:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Leraika posted:

Do me a favor and read absolutely nothing in spoiler text until you're done.

So much this.

<3 Utena

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Yeah I'm going to vote Reject

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So...Lots of people in thread had no idea this game existed, or, if they did, hadn't played it. Anyone in that category want to weigh in on thoughts so far?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I loved the anime, never seen this game.

I just wonder how deep you can get into the whole dueling rabbit hole and magical goings on given the limited timescale the game offers.

Flac
Sep 6, 2010

supposedly it frees you from anxiety and nihilism

Patter Song posted:

So...Lots of people in thread had no idea this game existed, or, if they did, hadn't played it. Anyone in that category want to weigh in on thoughts so far?

I saw the series years ago and knew about the game, but I only saw the fantastic intro cinematic and stopped there for some reason. I never gave much thought to it until I saw this LP going on. It was good timing for when you started this too, I had just finished a rewatch of the series and having a new perspective on it made me like it even more, giving me a push to look into extra Utena content.

I don't have much experience with dating sims, but it seems like a mostly normal tie-in thing for a 90s anime so far? I'm really, annoyingly biased towards the show, the original crew not being involved has me checking my expectations a bit, but it feels wrong to criticize this mostly harmless fanservice thing too hard. Other than that....idk it's too early to say. This makes me think of the Serial Experiments Lain game a little in the weird amount of effort they gave to this. Original VA's and all. Maybe there'll be some surprises with where this goes?

Flac fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 18, 2018

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Patter Song posted:

This is exactly what I want to hear. I am so glad that other people get to experience this fantastic show.

How far in are you?
I've just started episode 7! At first I thought the show's severe 90s aesthetics and seeming budget would be a a little bit of a barrier of entry, the show's bold rear end framing/cinematography make it very visually appealing and effective. It actually reminds me a lot of Serial Experiments Lain in that way.

Also, Miki's little mini arc where he wanted to procure Anthy to "free" her was--to me--a surprisingly nuanced examination of how patriarchal societal standards are enforced by older members of the community on the youth, and how said youth may start internalizing these gender roles and begin to deceive themselves to justify doing so. This show's easily convinced me its straight up hella smart, and I'm definitely binging it

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Blue Labrador posted:

I've just started episode 7! At first I thought the show's severe 90s aesthetics and seeming budget would be a a little bit of a barrier of entry, the show's bold rear end framing/cinematography make it very visually appealing and effective. It actually reminds me a lot of Serial Experiments Lain in that way.

Also, Miki's little mini arc where he wanted to procure Anthy to "free" her was--to me--a surprisingly nuanced examination of how patriarchal societal standards are enforced by older members of the community on the youth, and how said youth may start internalizing these gender roles and begin to deceive themselves to justify doing so. This show's easily convinced me its straight up hella smart, and I'm definitely binging it

I'm glad you compared it to Lain. I feel like Evangelion (1995), Utena (1997), and Lain (1998) all came out at roughly the same time saying "you can do way more with this medium than anyone's done up until now," in their own unique ways, and the series all belong together as a group for that reason, showing the potential of anime for telling way more interesting stories than what had been told up until that point in televised serial anime (that is, not counting movies or OVAs). Utena just did it in a way that indicates that the show's not only bold and willing to take issue with what came before, but genuinely charming and lovable in a way that, say, Evangelion isn't. Utena inspires a level of loyalty and affection that few serieses manage while still addressing really loving big concepts. It helps that the guy behind this project, Kunihiko Ikuhara, was the director of three out of the five seasons of Sailor Moon. He knew shoujo anime better than anyone. He knew what elements made it special and what was holding it back, and he was no longer A. working for Toei Animation and having to restrict his vision to what Toei would approve, or B. adapting someone else's plot, and was free to tell his own story.

EDIT: Sorry if this is way too loving ADTRW for the LP board.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Sep 18, 2018

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Patter Song posted:

I knew the game existed, but never got to play it. One part because I didn't even know anyone with a Saturn but also because of the games I did import one with such a heavy language requirement was pretty much a no-go in that era. I was fascinated by the screenshots I saw of it though and I'm super excited to see this play though because of it. The production value seems really high and I'm really interested in seeing where the story goes, especially since it's supposed to be plausible as occurring canonically within the anime timeline and that really piques my interest.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Potsticker posted:

I knew the game existed, but never got to play it. One part because I didn't even know anyone with a Saturn but also because of the games I did import one with such a heavy language requirement was pretty much a no-go in that era. I was fascinated by the screenshots I saw of it though and I'm super excited to see this play though because of it. The production value seems really high and I'm really interested in seeing where the story goes, especially since it's supposed to be plausible as occurring canonically within the anime timeline and that really piques my interest.

The game's not only 100% plausible with the plot (assuming you don't get a certain one of the nonstandard game overs), but it provides context/background/foreshadowing for the events of the second and third seasons while being set midway through season 1. The only problem with that is, as a visual novel, on one playthrough, you will only see a fraction of that, and if we really gently caress up, we won't get to see some of the coolest plot elements that tie it into the story. Of course, that's the risk you take with all VNs.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Patter Song posted:

Utena just did it in a way that indicates that the show's not only bold and willing to take issue with what came before, but genuinely charming and lovable in a way that, say, Evangelion isn't.

Evangelion I find really interesting because I get such a different read from the series now than I did back in the 90s. Finding out more about Anno and his past and realizing that Evangelion is basically just Anno doing Ultraman again, but putting a spin on it that basically defined what mecha anime was from then on.

Patter Song posted:

It helps that the guy behind this project, Kunihiko Ikuhara, was the director of three out of the five seasons of Sailor Moon. He knew shoujo anime better than anyone.

Sailor Moon is also kind of amazing because it did the same thing. Combining sensibilities that were popular in tokusatsu shows (Specifically sentai) and applying them to the magical girl genre and basically defining the standard for that genre of anime moving forward.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Patter Song posted:

The game's not only 100% plausible with the plot (assuming you don't get a certain one of the nonstandard game overs), but it provides context/background/foreshadowing for the events of the second and third seasons while being set midway through season 1. The only problem with that is, as a visual novel, on one playthrough, you will only see a fraction of that, and if we really gently caress up, we won't get to see some of the coolest plot elements that tie it into the story. Of course, that's the risk you take with all VNs.

Are you planning any sort of post-game content with talking about different routes? Or how the system works in general, though maybe you can talk a bit about that now? It seems like so far it's fairly straightforward with maybe earning points that determine what events you get later on, but is there any sort of point where you get stuck on a given route early on and then manage the quality of your ending, or is it mostly a straight story with only certain details changed based on how many points you've gained with the different members of the cast? Or is it more CYOA style with branching paths that can take you in almost wildly different directions?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Potsticker posted:

Are you planning any sort of post-game content with talking about different routes? Or how the system works in general, though maybe you can talk a bit about that now?

I'm at least going to discuss what we missed if we hit a failure route (either one of the nonstandard game overs or the standard one), because those all cut the plot off abruptly and miss a lot of stuff. Otherwise, probably not.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Refuse!

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
[b]Accept.[b] He needs to stick around to witness the power to revolutionize the world (of comedy).

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Patter Song posted:

, and if we really gently caress up, we won't get to see some of the coolest plot elements that tie it into the story.

So when we keep picking all of the Make a Joke option, basically

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Patter Song posted:

I'm glad you compared it to Lain. I feel like Evangelion (1995), Utena (1997), and Lain (1998) all came out at roughly the same time saying "you can do way more with this medium than anyone's done up until now," in their own unique ways, and the series all belong together as a group for that reason, showing the potential of anime for telling way more interesting stories than what had been told up until that point in televised serial anime (that is, not counting movies or OVAs). Utena just did it in a way that indicates that the show's not only bold and willing to take issue with what came before, but genuinely charming and lovable in a way that, say, Evangelion isn't. Utena inspires a level of loyalty and affection that few serieses manage while still addressing really loving big concepts. It helps that the guy behind this project, Kunihiko Ikuhara, was the director of three out of the five seasons of Sailor Moon. He knew shoujo anime better than anyone. He knew what elements made it special and what was holding it back, and he was no longer A. working for Toei Animation and having to restrict his vision to what Toei would approve, or B. adapting someone else's plot, and was free to tell his own story.

EDIT: Sorry if this is way too loving ADTRW for the LP board.

So how would Mobile Suit Gundam and Zeta, or really most of the hardcore mecha shows of the 70s and 80s fit into this narrative?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Gundam is really interesting and important too in the same way that Evangelion is. And really, I should just say that Tomino's influence on what mecha anime became is just as important as Anno's, as both of them made works that helped shape the genre what it is today. The only real case I can make for Tomino being more important is that he was a decade earlier, but really the landscape would be completely different without both of them. I'm curious why you bring up Zeta in specific because I feel like the important stuff Gundam brought to the table was pretty much all present in the original series.

In any case, I don't see how mentioning Eva's importance lessens MSG's. They're both hugely influential works who left indelible marks on the genre.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Patter Song posted:

I vaguely knew it existed because one of the OSTs had music on it, but I've never played it. So far, seems a pretty standard otome game, but I'm eagerly awaiting the point where the insanity ramps up.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Flac posted:

I'm really, annoyingly biased towards the show, the original crew not being involved has me checking my expectations a bit, but it feels wrong to criticize this mostly harmless fanservice thing too hard.

It's true that Ikuhara and Enokido weren't involved, and they seem to have been the most influential figures in the production of the anime. However, quite a few members of the anime team worked on this game. Of the main five Be-Papas members, we have character designs by Utena character designer Shinya HASEGAWA, and Yuichiro OGURO (the Be-Papas guy with the least-sexy job) on board for planning and editorial supervision.

The co-directors for the game were Shingo KANEKO and Toru TAKAHASHI. They both directed various episodes of Utena throughout its entire course, and were clearly as involved in the project as anyone. (Among others, Kaneko directed episode 38, and Takahashi episode 39. Props!) Series and movie animators Akemi HAYASHI and Keiko KAWASHIMA were also there for animation and visuals. And, of course, J.A. Seazer.

Not anime crew, but the game was scripted by Ichiro OKOUCHI, who wrote the Utena light novels. I'm aware that does not give him an enormous amount of Utena fandom cred. (He did also write for RahXephon, Wolf's Rain, Code Geass, and Azumanga Daioh though - he gets around.) Finally, the game was supervised by Hiroaki SAKURAI, the director of the Kodomo no Omocha anime. That has nothing to do with Utena, but I really love that anime so I wanted to mention it.

Dallbun fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 19, 2018

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Hurrah, only found this thread a month or so late.

This is truly a classic game. I actually worked on a different translation project for it long ago; I think it would have been in 2001? Sadly the effort ground to a halt because we couldn't figure out one of the image formats. Plus of course this was long before Saturn emulators were workable, so testing was a nightmare and the potential audience would have been about three people. I still hold unreasonable hope that my extra mint factory sealed copy will be worth something someday.

I look forward to a healthy dose of nostalgia, whatever terrible ending we get first, and lots of character images that make me keep checking the aspect ratio of my screen over and over until I accept that they're meant to look like that.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

NRVNQSR posted:

I look forward to a healthy dose of nostalgia, whatever terrible ending we get first, and lots of character images that make me keep checking the aspect ratio of my screen over and over until I accept that they're meant to look like that.

Game actually looks pretty nice, visually...except when it's in motion, at which point it's a blurry, 240p mess of the TV version.

If this game had come out a year later, it could've been on the Dreamcast and matched the visuals of the show perfectly...and probably been way more famous, given how much larger the Dreamcast scene is than the Saturn one.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Patter Song posted:

If this game had come out a year later, it could've been on the Dreamcast and matched the visuals of the show perfectly...and probably been way more famous, given how much larger the Dreamcast scene is than the Saturn one.

It would have been easier to distribute a translation, too, since the Dreamcast would happily take burned discs without blinking an eyelid. Unlike the Saturn, which required endless messing around with little bits of plastic and sticky tape every time.

It's a shame there were no other versions made, since it's obvious from the included artbook that all the art exists in much higher resolution versions. Obviously said artbook is full of spoilers, though, so people shouldn't google it.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

The way I've seen other VNs and games with branching paths LPed is that the first playthrough is vote-based and beyond that, the alternate options get showed off to give readers a complete experience. Am I right in assuming this is not how you plan on running this one?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lord Zedd-Repulsa posted:

The way I've seen other VNs and games with branching paths LPed is that the first playthrough is vote-based and beyond that, the alternate options get showed off to give readers a complete experience. Am I right in assuming this is not how you plan on running this one?

I mean, I'm not going to do a line by line transcription of all of the events on Saionji's route that we're missing or whatever. I could be talked into more general what ifs, though. It depends how I'm feeling when this playthrough wraps up (I think it'll be in December at the current pace).

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

NRVNQSR posted:

This is truly a classic game. I actually worked on a different translation project for it long ago; I think it would have been in 2001?

Please, please dig it out so I can see how you translated the jokes. :allears:

Double Plus Undead
Dec 24, 2010
This dude's really tedious, reject him.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Dallbun posted:

Please, please dig it out so I can see how you translated the jokes. :allears:

I'll dig around but sadly I'm pretty sure it's lost to time; any backups would be on servers I haven't had access to for more than ten years.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Hi, all! We're back, with the shortest chapter of the LP to date. Last time, you all voted (somewhat tighter than usually) to accept Touga's compliment. Luckily, there was no option to make a joke in front of the most popular guy in school. Where will this turn take our fair heroine?

Chapter VIII: Really, It's Only Implied Incest, So It Doesn't Count

Soundtrack: Eros of the Ball https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdd2ylk_GRg

Here goes nothing.

Patter Song: My name's Patter Song. First of all, thank you for inviting me to this wonderful ball. It's my first one, so...

Touga: Oh, well, don't be nervous. You can chat with your friends, or enjoy the food.

Patter Song: (Aah! He's taking my hand!)

Forward, isn't he? Doesn't waste much time.

Touga: Won't you grant me a dance, miss?

Wow, a rich, powerful, insanely popular boy from an elite prep school who knows what the word consent means? Touga breaking all kinds of stereotypes.

Anthy: Have fun. :geno:

Utena: That guy moves fast, so be careful!

I love Anthy's noncommittal responses paired with Utena's more passionate ones. Really captures the flavor of the series.

Compatibility raise with Touga. Note that we somehow did not get one with Miki after rambling like an idiot at him.

As they dance, anonymous girls start backbiting, as of course they do.

Girl 2: Usually, the honor of having the first dance with Touga-sama goes to a girl who's great at sports or academics.

Girl 3: I've never seen that girl before.

Patter Song: (Uh, we seem to be attracting a lot of attention. It's like everyone's hostile, or jealous...those are the kind of looks we're getting.)

Yes! Yes! We're the most popular girl in school, dancing with the handsomest and most popular boy in school, and everyone else is jealous...Congrats, thread, we're Queen Bee of Ohtori!

Touga: What's wrong? You seem uncomfortable.

Dammit.

Touga: Or could it be that there's someone else who's caught your eye?

Patter Song: N-no, nothing like that. (Doesn't this guy look like someone I know? But who...?)

Who indeed? I feel like we've seen someone in this very thread who greatly resembles Touga, but...

Touga: You're in the East Dorm with Tenjou-kun, right? so, how is it? Do you like it?

Patter Song: The Chairman just told me where I would be living after school today, so I haven't even spent 30 minutes in my room yet.

Akio is always one step ahead of Touga, including/especially scoping out new sexy girls.

Patter Song: Yeah.

Touga: ...I see. By the way, were you in any clubs at your former school? For instance, fencing, or kendo?

Touga needs to know what Akio's game is here. Akio brought Protagonist Us in here...are we a ringer, like Utena? Someone who's going to interrupt the duels? A new contender in End of the World's contest to seize the Rose Bride and, with her, the Power to Revolutionize the World?

Patter Song: No, I wasn't really in any clubs at my last school. I've never done anything like fencing or kendo. But apparently, my father used to be the adviser for the Fencing Club here, a long time ago.

No, nothing like that. We're painfully boring. Touga must be so disappointed.

Patter Song: (Hey, that's right. This guy looks kind of like my dad!)

:what:

:ohdear:

Anime Dad, you had one job. One job. Be the Faculty Adviser to the Dueling Club. Does this mean Touga is our half-brother because Anime Dad banged some other student? Does this...does this mean Nanami is our half-sister?

No, no, it has to be coincidence, right? What are the chances that incest would be a plot point in an Utena game?

Touga: So your parents also attended this school?

He seems suddenly curious.

Patter Song: Yeah. They say they met in the Fencing Club, but according to my mom, she wasn't very good at it...and I think I take after my mom more.

Soundtrack: Campus Dandy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tRiOJ4J93g

...Is Touga thinking along the same lines we are? Soundtrack's sudden shift from the ball music to the swinging "flirting inappropriately" Campus Dandy track is also pretty eyebrow-raising. Also, Protagonist-Us, stop just blurting out to people that Anime Dad was a teacher here and banged Anime Mom while she was a student. That's something that you shouldn't let everyone in on.

Patter Song: (What's wrong? He's suddenly gone quiet. Did I accidentally say something to offend him...?) Um, excuse me...

You didn't offend him, you idiot, you just flashed some major warning signs at him.

Touga: Hm? Oh, I'm sorry. It's rude to have something else on one's mind while dancing with a lady.

Of course, Touga is smooth as ever and pretends nothing is the matter, and even gets a pretty good line in while he's at it.

Patter Song: No, it's OK.

Touga: Ah...the music is stopping, it seems. I guess our time together is over. I had lots of fun. I'd like to talk with you again.

Presumably with DNA test equipped. Luckily for you, thread, I've kept track of his blood type, A. If we don't have his blood type, that means we can't be his sister, right? :downs:

Touga: Later, then. Next time, let's make it just the two of us.

Only in Ohtori would someone go straight from "he looks a lot like Dad" to "I want to jump his bones" in about 30 seconds.

Soundtrack: Eros of the Ball https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdd2ylk_GRg

The ball music is back, and Touga is gone. Let's see what else we can find to entertain ourselves.

Patter Song: (Where did those two go...I thought they might spot me if I took off my mask, but...)

Patter Song: (That voice!?)

Voice? Calling a monkey's cry a voice is stretching it.

For Dios' sake, Saionji, what the hell is your problem? Miki is introduced with a sweet introduction, Touga makes a sly move, and Saionji...torments Anthy's pet. Seriously, the only way anyone ever sees the Saionji route is pure bloody-minded completionist nature.

Chu-Chu: Chu, chuuu!

Saionji: Come on! If you want it, reach up higher and take it!

Patter Song: It's that guy from this morning! He's bulling Chu-Chu...What should I do?)

And that does it for this time! Will be Confront Saionji Directly and continue living our lives heroically, living them in style, or will we decide that discretion is the better part of valor, not pick a fight with the Student Council Vice President in the middle of a party, and try to Distract Him? Note that neither option involves being nice to Saionji.

Until next time, the Absolute Destiny Apocalypse!

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Let's cause a scene!

Confront him directly.

Not causing a scene would be sensible IRL, but doing things that are sensible IRL in video games isn't fun for very long.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I agree, confront him directly.

Patter Song posted:

No, no, it has to be coincidence, right? What are the chances that incest would be a plot point in an Utena game?

:suspense:

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Saionji sucks, let's tell him so to his face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

Patter Song posted:

Also, Protagonist-Us, stop just blurting out to people that Anime Dad was a teacher here and banged Anime Mom while she was a student. That's something that you shouldn't let everyone in on.

It's not at all clear from the text that this is what happened. They met at Ohtori, but they could have only hooked up after her mom graduated, when it was no longer quite as creepy.

That's not correct, but it appears to be what the Protagonist believes at this point.